eczema/gold bond powder-thread~~now about probiotics and eczema - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2004, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ds has eczema, it's pretty mild now and although i should slap my hands for it, i give him benadryl every so often (maybe on average once every 10 days) to control itch-attacks and use a steroid if he scratches his face open, but also never more than 2 days in a roll and only maybe once a month. i tried several homeopathics to help the itch, but only got results under practitioner's care, which i can't afford anymore...
anyways, today he started scratching his neck and it has been a year since he's had any problems other than on his face. it was around nap time and he was desperately trying to go to sleep. i gave him benadryl but i knew the steroid or even elidel doesn't help for the itch at all and until the benadryl starts kicking in usually takes a good 20 mins. so i just put some gold bond on him...it helped right away, he calmed down and fell asleep, very relieved. is that stuff dangerous? i had thought about using it for a while, but when he was very little i was scared it might be too strong. now he's 17 months...
eczema is all about the itch, if it doesn't itch, they don't scratch and there won't be a problem, right? elidel and steroids don't help the itch a lot and i still don't like the idea of doping him with benadryl everytime. so wouldn't the lesser evil be the somewhat harsher gold bond? it kinda dries the skin, but helps so much better for the itch than anything else...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2004, 04:45 PM

I have never heard gold bond is dangerous. It's all my grandmother ever used on my dad as a baby and when Alex as an infant had a yeast diaper rash I used it and it worked great. I think the only worry is if he inhales some of the powder, that can be dangerous so if your careful putting it on so he doesnt choke on the dust it's okay I think.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

bump...anymore input on that??
Old 02-23-2004, 01:53 PM

....an IgE response, you should read the "Hope, Faith and Activism" thread for info on "leaky gut syndrome"

While your getting informed I would start culturing a probiotic yogurt or just use the powder initially.

If you're breastfeeding, put some in your child's mouth while feeding. Breastmilk is the best food for the flora.

I would go with this:

http://jarrow.com/products/JarroDophilusfospowder.htm

for the 20% Lactobacillus casei content.

Good luck,

Ray
Old 02-24-2004, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, goodpapa, in fact i just bought some probiotics for myself and ds. i chose the non-dairy derived ones, though, since ds is also allergic to dairy. i could only find capsules by solaray, all the powders were dairy based. it says for adult dosage to use one daily, but i have no idea how to dose for ds. will a whole capsule be too much for him? could i open one and put half in his soyyoghurt and save the rest for the next day?
Old 02-24-2004, 04:39 PM

Just wanted to let you know that I have used Gold Bond Powder on my daughter since she was weeks old at my midwife's suggestion for diaper rash. Never had any problems.

As for your probiotics question, I have no idea..... but I know there are a couple of good threads on this board regarding all that.

Good Luck!
Old 02-24-2004, 08:37 PM

...what's in the Solaray? What type and percentage?

My son's been on probiotic powder since the first week of his life. He's now 2.

He's never had an earache.
He's never had eczema.
He's never had hives.
He's never had diarrhea.
He's never had a persistent cough.
He doesn't have asthma.

He had measles at 18 months, barely got a rash-- it was light, stayed on his chest and back, never got to his face and limbs.

He's still breastfeeding.

I mention this because I feel the probiotic powder at the beginning and the yogurts that he gets now on a daily basis have really got his immune system strong.

Honestly I'd try a half (you take the other half) see if his poops change. BTW, I'll take a poop report at this point as basis for comparison. My son's are like playdoh or kneaded bread--- unbelievably firm consistency.

Depending on what bacteria are in his GI tract you might have a little funky stink at the beginning as they get run out by the good guys.

Ultimately, for me anyway, I'd push the volume of probiotic until his eczema and dairy sensitivity go away.

But I have a hunch you're going to need to get the Jarro for the best and fastest results. Take a look at the variety of bacterium that are there. I wouldn't worry about getting it shipped to you, the bacteria will make it without refrigeration.

Ray

User Tag List