Preconception care: Mineral Deficiency Test - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! Hubby and I want to TTC here in a few months and I'm trying to get myself in tip top shape and fix some health problems. I'm doing some preconception care testing: Elisa 96, prenatal lab work up, and want to do a toxic-metal screen. I very likely could have metal issues but mostly want to check for zinc levels because zinc is so critical for the development of babes immune system. I can't smell very well, so I'm wondering about my levels. It could also be allergy or candida related, so besides the allergy testing I'm also doing a candida diet and diflucan for 6 weeks. My ND believes that I have yeast issues and is treating me similiarly to this:

http://www.endfatigue.com/health_art...vergrowth.html

Anyways!, Could anyone look at this link and tell me what you think of this Fertility Couple Mineral Deficiency Test. Is there a better (better priced would be great too) alternative? I've heard conflicting things between the hair and stool test. Which one is best?

http://www.naturalhealthpractice.com...dium=MGwebsite

I REALLY appreciate you thoughts!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 12:10 PM

Do you have or have you ever had any mercury fillings?

Do you take any probiotics?

If you think your zinc is low, your stomach acid would likely be low. Where to start? Help 101

Personally, I would not want to get pregnant within 6 months of a candida cleanse. And I would NOT take Diflucan if I have/had mercury fillings unless I had already optimized my stomach acid and opened detox pathways by correcting any nutrient deficiencies and supported the excretion of mercury safely.

Pat

I have a blog.
#3 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 12:29 PM

Additionally, the hair test is not interpreted in a straight forward manner.

The supplements on the second link for women's fertility are not what I would choose. The folic acid and B12 are not optimal. Nor are the minerals, imo.

Pat

I have a blog.
#4 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Oh Gosh, WuWei, I'm wigging out now. I don't consider myself to be a total novice about health and nutrition, but your questions have me baffled.

Do you have or have you ever had any mercury fillings?
10 or so without lookin

Do you take any probiotics?
Just started. PB8

If you think your zinc is low, your stomach acid would likely be low.
Yes, it most certainly is.

Personally, I would not want to get pregnant within 6 months of a candida cleanse.
Why?! Oh, Gosh, I'm crushed. Whatever is best for (future) baby for sure but why? I'm guessing Diflucan would mobolize mercury?

And I would NOT take Diflucan if I have/had mercury fillings unless I had already optimized my stomach acid and opened detox pathways by correcting any nutrient deficiencies and supported the excretion of mercury safely.

Taking HCl? Detox pathways? How would I support mercury excretion?
#5 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Additionally, the hair test is not interpreted in a straight forward manner.
This particular test or just these kind of tests in general?

The supplements on the second link for women's fertility are not what I would choose. The folic acid and B12 are not optimal. Nor are the minerals, imo.

I'm not taking these particular supplements or brand. I'm taking a ton of other stuff though! I know I "feel" much better taking them. The minerals are chelated and b's are what you typical health food store sources are. My prenatal...
http://www.iherb.com/Eclectic-Instit...ets/15335?at=0

I also take:
10,000 IU of vitamin D
3,000 IU vitamin a
3,000 mg Vitamin C with 1,500 mg bioflavonoids
50 mg b complex
9 GRAMS of fish oil
1 vitamin e capsule 275 IU
alfalfa tablets for vitamin k
50 mg chelated zinc
digestive enzymes
milk thistle phytosome
#6 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 01:06 PM

I'm totally impressed and awed that you are seeking information preconception!! It is inspiring and absolutely beneficial.

When we have excess mercury the body stores it in our gut, organs, brain. And candida binds with mercury to protect us also.

Candida binds with excess mercury to store it out of circulation to protect us from toxic levels of mercury (if we do not detoxify effectively). When we kill off the candida, we release mercury into circulation which redeposits into our organs and brain. Some people experience this as "die-off".

I have 10 mercury fillings also. Lifetime supply of antibiotic use (and more). I learned of my MANY food intolerances due to my infant son's allergies/colic--- all due to my leaky gut.

All hair tests are tricky to read, especially if you have mercury issues.

Ineffective detoxification is highly correlated with the MTHFR gene and with mercury issues and candida and nutrient deficiencies. It is all related.

Read the link Where to start? Help 101. There is a Cliff Notes version at the end of the thread.

Bottled probiotics are mostly ineffective due to not surviving unil the large intestine. Whole food probiotics are optimal, imo.

That prenatal has vit A palmitate and folic acid. It doesn't identify the magnesium or B12 source. I'd doubt you need copper. And the biotin is probably low. Not to mention the PABA. Kelp needs to be heavy metal tested.

As an aside, do you wake a couple of hours after going to sleep at night and need a nap about 3pm? Have you had any saliva testing done of your hormones?

Do you eat wheat and dairy?

Pat

I have a blog.
#7 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyjenn View Post
My prenatal...
http://www.iherb.com/Eclectic-Instit...ets/15335?at=0

I also take:
10,000 IU of vitamin D
3,000 IU vitamin a
3,000 mg Vitamin C with 1,500 mg bioflavonoids
50 mg b complex
9 GRAMS of fish oil
1 vitamin e capsule 275 IU
alfalfa tablets for vitamin k
50 mg chelated zinc
digestive enzymes
milk thistle phytosome

Have you had your D level tested?

That is too much B vits along with the prenatal, imo.

And too much zinc with the prenatal.

Why the digestive enzymes? Symptoms?

Which fish oil? Most are artificially deodorized and have synthetic vit A added back. I'm a bit concerned about the amount of vit A you are ingesting, especially if it is all synthetic (if you have any thyroid issues).

Yeah! on the milk thistle.

Pat

I have a blog.
#8 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There are cheaper hair tests around, in the US Doctor's Data is a good one (the plain Hair Elements hair test, not the Toxic Exposure Profile hair test), you can likely rule in/out mercury, which is important because if mercury is an issue, it changes the interpretation of the regular minerals.

http://livingnetwork.co.za/chelation...g-a-hair-test/

This website is helpful for some chelation stuff, and the hair test they recommend, which they say you can order anywhere in the world, is a good one to use, and at $93 USD, I think cheaper than 150 pounds, though I'm not sure of the exchange rate right now.

Second--you're on a lot of supplements right now. I think those levels of zinc can be appropriate, but that'd mean you've got some health issues. You mentioned metals--do you really think that's involved in your health? You may want to deal with that before TTC. Not everyone with amalgam fillings has problems excreting mercury, but it's something to consider if you've got chronic health issues, and if you've got significant digestive issues, it's possible.

That _is_ a lot of fish oil, is it helping? Again, since most people don't need such high doses, but I assume you're feeling better with it, I'd want to look into why this is what your body needs (and like Wuwei said, YAY! for looking into this pre-TTC, I was clueless back then, totally clueless).

I'd also consider a prenatal (or multivit) with real folate instead of folic acid. In the US, Thorne is an easy one to get, it's available online a lot, not sure if you can get Thorne online. Real folate is good for everyone, folic acid is okay for most people, but some people (probably those who need it most) don't convert it well into folate that your body can use.

More later, but you're asking really interesting questions for pre-TTC. I really am impressed, I was so clueless back then, now I'm working on health issues in my kids.
#9 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

That's so interesting about candida binding to mercury, Pat. I had no idea!

Are you recommending it then?

Ineffective detoxification is highly correlated with the MTHFR gene and with mercury issues and candida and nutrient deficiencies. It is all related.
I'm familiar with all but the MTHFR gene. Is this something I can get tested for. What symptoms would I have that would indicate further testing may be appropriate?

Read the link Where to start? Help 101. There is a Cliff Notes version at the end of the thread.
Thanks! I had read that some time ago. GOOD stuff. I skimmed it and printed out the cliff notes as well. Somehow, I missed the candida/mercury info...

Bottled probiotics are mostly ineffective due to not surviving unil the large intestine. Whole food probiotics are optimal, imo.
I picked one that had amazing testimonies on amazon and vita cost and that wasn't outrageously priced. I've done kefir but have killed my grains twice. I'm doing 24 hour yogurt now. Should probably get more kefir...

That prenatal has vit A palmitate and folic acid. It doesn't identify the magnesium or B12 source. I'd doubt you need copper. And the biotin is probably low. Not to mention the PABA. Kelp needs to be heavy metal tested.

I forgot I'm also taking a little extra magnesium (citrate) when I remember before bed. Do you have a prenatal that you recommend? I taking it that you aren't too excited about my current one? I really, really love my prenatal and would have a reaalllyyy hard time parting with it and would need some good convincing.

As an aside, do you wake a couple of hours after going to sleep at night and need a nap about 3pm? Have you had any saliva testing done of your hormones?
I have sleeping issues. I have different seasons of different patterns. Takes forever to get to sleep or yes, I wake up after sleeping a few hours. I would love to get my hormones tested but I'm nursing right now and when I called a lab here in Oregon they said I could get off results.

Yes I do. In fact, dh is a raw dairy farmer. We eat lots of rice and buckwheat too. I suspect I may be allergic to milk, but I'm not positive. Hopefully the Elisa will give me a good place to start and I can tweak and test things from there.
#10 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Have you had your D level tested?
I'm sort of following the Vitamin D council recommendations, but I'm taking 10,000 a day instead of 5,000 for a few months before I get tested. I'm pretty sure I'm low because I have felt a huge (positive) difference since supplementing.

That is too much B vits along with the prenatal, imo.
I do feel good taking that much and several of my reference books recommend up to 100 mg b complex a day or more. Don't B's just flush out via urine if you don't need them?

And too much zinc with the prenatal.
My hubby is going to college to become a Nutrition Therapy Practicioner (very WAP oriented) and did this zinc test on me and I was SO incredibly low. It's where you but some liquid zinc under your tounge and wait till you can taste it. He tasted it right away in class and it took me 10 minutes or so? It's been awhile. So I was taking extra till I "passed" the test again. My refrences say no more than 75 mg a day and with the prenatal and zinc capsule I think I'm at 80 mg. What do you recommend?

Why the digestive enzymes? Symptoms?

I don't know I have digestive issues occasionally, but I know I really need the HCl it's just that's what we have so???

Which fish oil? Most are artificially deodorized and have synthetic vit A added back. I'm a bit concerned about the amount of vit A you are ingesting, especially if it is all synthetic (if you have any thyroid issues).

I'm taking Carlson's capsules. I took Blue ice cod liver forever and I just. can't. stomach it anymore! I'm taking A from fish oil. WAP recommends 2,000 and I just threw an extra 1,000IU for good measure since I don't eat liver (tried it 101 ways)

Yeah! on the milk thistle.
I'm taking it for lot's of reasons but it's really important to take with the diflucan to protect the liver.
#11 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 03:47 PM

I'd definitely do the hair test - it tells you a lot about potential toxic metals, and (assuming you don't have mercury issues) regular minerals as well. Valuable information preconception, and if you do the DDI hair test, lots of mamas around here and elsewhere that can help you interpret. You can order it yourself through directlabs.com for about $90 (you want the hair elements test, NOT the hair toxic elements test). It was huge for understanding my DS' health issues and supps needs, and now my DHs as well.

Good luck, and congratulations on all your great thinking!

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#12 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Hi there TanyaLopez!

There are cheaper hair tests around, in the US Doctor's Data is a good one (the plain Hair Elements hair test, not the Toxic Exposure Profile hair test), you can likely rule in/out mercury, which is important because if mercury is an issue, it changes the interpretation of the regular minerals.
Thank you! I'll be checking them out.

This website is helpful for some chelation stuff, and the hair test they recommend, which they say you can order anywhere in the world, is a good one to use, and at $93 USD, I think cheaper than 150 pounds, though I'm not sure of the exchange rate right now.
lol, I'm sorry, I'm in the US. I saw this though and wanted to find a similiar US test. I thought it was neat that it was advertised as a preconception health test. Is the first one you recommended from Doctor's Data the way you would go?

Second--you're on a lot of supplements right now. I think those levels of zinc can be appropriate, but that'd mean you've got some health issues. You mentioned metals--do you really think that's involved in your health? You may want to deal with that before TTC. Not everyone with amalgam fillings has problems excreting mercury, but it's something to consider if you've got chronic health issues, and if you've got significant digestive issues, it's possible.

I'm trying to get to the root of some health issues, yes. BUT, I didn't realize they existed until I spent hours upon hours researching preconception care. Nourishing traditions got me in that line of thinking. So here we are now and I have fibromyalgia like symptoms that I've had a loonnnggg time. I'm a pretty stoic, grin and bear it type of gal so I've just done what I've had to do, you know? dr is being cautious in dx me until we've tried a few things cause she thinks there is usually a root cause of fibro like allergies or candida. Honestly, I'm not THAT bad. With diet and supplements I'm doing better than most. It's the way I've felt most of my life so I don't have anything to compare it to. It is my normal. I hope to feel even better but if I get the dx when it's all said and done than I did my best and of course I'll keep researching. The problem is I come across another possible root cause everyday. Lyme disease, viruses, etc. I can not get my filling removed $$ so that's not an option.

That _is_ a lot of fish oil, is it helping? Again, since most people don't need such high doses, but I assume you're feeling better with it, I'd want to look into why this is what your body needs (and like Wuwei said, YAY! for looking into this pre-TTC, I was clueless back then, totally clueless).
I've talked to a scientist who believes this dose is closer to what moms should be taking who are having children and nursing back to back. This is totally my thing and I'm just being cautious with getting enough omegas for me, nursling, and hopefully baby to be. THere's a lot on the net about 9 grams of omega 3 being the theraputic dose for lots of health problems.

I'd also consider a prenatal (or multivit) with real folate instead of folic acid. In the US, Thorne is an easy one to get, it's available online a lot, not sure if you can get Thorne online. Real folate is good for everyone, folic acid is okay for most people, but some people (probably those who need it most) don't convert it well into folate that your body can use.
I get cracks in the corners of my mouth when I slack of my prenatals, so I'm thinking that's b related. Whether I have folate issues I'm not sure. I will look into that prenatal, but I really love mine. It has lots of chelated minerals, calcium/mag, that I would have to probably supplement most other prenatals. It's six huge pills a day, so they are really packed.

More later, but you're asking really interesting questions for pre-TTC. I really am impressed, I was so clueless back then, now I'm working on health issues in my kids.
Yes, clueless at one time as well. I am dying to have another baby though!! This is killing me thinking I may have to wait 6 months. We are commited to fixing any health issues I have to the best of our abilities and as cheaply as possible.
#13 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I can't smell very well, so I'm wondering about my levels.
Don't worry. We'll be honest and tell you if you are a-stinkin'.
#14 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

So if I don't get my mercury fillings out and detox mercury is the candida cleanse in vain? This may be a root problem for me, but there's just not anything I can do about it. WWYD? What health steps should I take for babe preconception and then during pregnancy to make sure I don't mobilize mercury to babe?

Pat, I wanted to say that we do lots of bone broth and eggs!! Are there things on your cliff notes that I shouldn't do during pregnancy cause they could detox mercury? I'm thinking I shouldn't do kombucha...
#15 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye_bebe View Post
Don't worry. We'll be honest and tell you if you are a-stinkin'.
Oh my gosh, you are FUNNY!
#16 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and I am majorly confused about the detox pathways. Sound rather mystical than tangible. My brain does not work that way.
#17 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 05:24 PM

Detox Puzzle.

I wouldn't do lemon in water first thing in the morning or kombucha. I would NOT do diflucan. I would do natural antifungals, antibacterials, antiparasitic, antimicrobials foods and spices in our diet and then whole food probiotics. Also, clay, vit C, selenium, magnesium, Epsom salt baths to support detox pathways.
Caution: not all the natural antimicrobials are appropriate for pregnant or nursing mothers!!

Heavy duty dtoxes and cleanses while NOT pregnant or nursing?

More detox support and cautions.

If I did a hard detox, I'd probably do Juice Feasting: http://www.juicefeasting.com/
(I wouldn't though, because I have a mouthful of mercury.)

Disclaimer, I'm not keen on cleansing as an acute detox...

Pat

I have a blog.
#18 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 05:33 PM

Concrete stuff to read about detox pathways, methylation depends on folate, and since some folks don't make folic acid into folate well, that can be a big deal for some people. Methylation and glutathione conjugation are the two main pathways for excreting metals, though there does tend to be a cascade effect in people with health issues--one pathway get slowed down, nutrients depleted, another pathway is impacted, and so on. Wuwei's links discuss a lot of the nutrients on this page, but if you had to focus, I'd focus on those two.

http://tuberose.com/Liver_Detoxification.html

Fibro symptoms are serious, it's good to investigate and problem solve now. Some folks find pain decreases if they normalize their vitamin D levels (I'd use the range from the vitamin D council), so that's a good one to work on, and I think your supplementation level is reasonable (I've been taking 10,000 IU for several months now, I plan to test at some point, but it's been delayed a bit).

If your amalgams are part of the problem (some people get fibro from mercury toxicity), you can improve your health now, and definitely IMO make a better environment to grow a baby. I also read once that there's an unusually high overlap between susceptibility to lyme and metal toxicity, just in case you ever start down one path and don't get the results you want. We aim for WAP-type eating, some days better than others, I think that's a wise move. I found physical health stresses depleted tons of nutrients in me, including A & D (and zinc and folate and...).

I've read of omega-3 supplementation on the order of 9 or 10 grams per day being therapeutic for things, I just wanted to point out that most people don't need that to feel good, so something's different with you, but you've already twigged to that. I think that level of zinc is also rational, I've been taking 75 mg/day for quite a while myself, and my kids are each getting about 50mg/day. We've living on supplements, I do hope to be done someday.

Take a look at this doc on vitamin C flushes?

http://www.perque.com/pdfs/Pt_Ascorbate_Slush_FIN.pdf

I wouldn't do them while pregnant, but they have been an excellent help decreasing my circulating toxins, I did them while breastfeeding and they were not bad, and likely good, for my nurseling. I got my vitamin C daily need down from about 44 grams per day to the 5-6 grams that seems physiologically normal for adults. Taking bowel tolerance vitC every day helps give an excretion path to what's already circulating, I think that's going to be a lifelong thing for m. I'd try to find something that you can take around 5 or 6 grams per day, I haven't tried acerola or amla yet, I use sodium ascorbate and I'm not sure if bowel tolerance is different either way.

I think the Doctor's Data Hair Elements test is a good all-purpose hair test. It's been used a lot for both detecting mercury (sometimes mercury's very high but mostly when it's a problem it's low, you look for other things being odd), as well as looking at regular mineral levels (which aren't always interpreted in a straightforward manner, but there's a large body of data and knowledgeable people to use to help with that).

folate/MTHFR... good link to read...
http://www.detoxpuzzle.com/mthfr.php

It's not _my_ issue, but with fibro symptoms, that's more serious than I've had, so it's possible it could be yours (or google to read some of Andy Cutler's book Amalgam Illness on phase 1 and phase 2 detox pathways, I think the tuberose link above discusses that as well, fast phase 1 and slow phase 2 leads to nastier intoxication symptoms than just slow phase 1 and slow phase 2, which is me).

I would vote that candida and allergies are possible, but I'd still look for a reason that _you've_ got this and the neighbor lady doesn't. Know what I mean? When I first became hypothyroid, I eventually figured out that it was due to massive vitamin and mineral deficiencies, but I just assumed my pathetic diet was to blame, but I didn't really eat worse than many folks, yet I felt horrible and was hypo. It took a while to ask more questions, why was *I* having this problem, and not the lady down the street? Celiac's also something to rule in/out (maybe based on family/personal health history, maybe testing), it malnourishes people so that they're unusually susceptible to crap that other people deal with fairly well. I don't have that, but gfcf for the mercury has been very good for me--it frees up my detox bandwidth (the gluten and dairy leak from my gut and my liver was busy excreting them and getting even more behind on the other stuff), and so I can make progress with the metals. GFCF isn't just for kids. Took me a while to be ok with that. And even if the root cause isn't metals, so many people here seem to have problems with those foods, for so many varied reasons, it's crazy.

That was a lot of links, but it sounds like you've got a good support system, other knowledgeable people to work with, and you've got a really good start at figuring out what's going on with you.

If you want to investigate mercury more, the autism mercury yahoo group and the frequent dose chelation yahoo groups are both places to read, if you searched for pregnant or pregnancy, you'd find discussions there as well.

I'm planning to get a hair test sometime in the spring, maybe summer, plus vitamin D. Serum retinol is only helpful if it turns out low, if it's in range, it doesn't mean much, so I don't know how to check vitamin A. I'm supplementing and doing the guess/double-guess thing there. I'll re-do the taste test thing as well--there are 8-mineral kits out there that do the taste test for other minerals besides just zinc, they're around $30 for the kit (and then I'd use other minerals to actually supplement myself, so I think the kit would last a long time).

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1118978

It's the one that JaneS mentions on this page.

eta: sometimes I just go on and on and on....
#19 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 05:42 PM

Are you recommending it then?
If you want to spend the money and have some additional info, can't hurt. I haven't. Many have.

I'm familiar with all but the MTHFR gene. Is this something I can get tested for. What symptoms would I have that would indicate further testing may be appropriate?
what causes midline defects?
mthfr?
Folate and IgE allergies
Helpful tests to figure out the detox puzzle

detox pathway guinea pig
MTHFR, salicylates and adrenals
Detox while breastfeeding
Frequently Asked Questions-Allergies

I picked one that had amazing testimonies on amazon and vita cost and that wasn't outrageously priced. I've done kefir but have killed my grains twice. I'm doing 24 hour yogurt now. Should probably get more kefir...
Many mamas will share their kefir grains if you cover postage.
The anti-allergenic properties of milk kefir

I really, really love my prenatal and would have a reaalllyyy hard time parting with it and would need some good convincing.
"If you are pregnant, DO NOT take prenatal vitamins!" is an interesting article related to the increased incidence of breast cancer in the mama, and asthma in the infant.

I have sleeping issues. I have different seasons of different patterns. Takes forever to get to sleep or yes, I wake up after sleeping a few hours. I would love to get my hormones tested but I'm nursing right now and when I called a lab here in Oregon they said I could get off results.
Yes, hormonal changes of nursing alter the saliva tests. Have you read at the Adrenal and Thyroid threads?

Yes I do. In fact, dh is a raw dairy farmer. We eat lots of rice and buckwheat too. I suspect I may be allergic to milk, but I'm not positive. Hopefully the Elisa will give me a good place to start and I can tweak and test things from there.
The milk protein is tough on a leaky gut. Mercury + Candida about guarantees a leaky gut, ime.

Pat

I have a blog.
#20 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 05:58 PM

Sorry mommyjenn - clarification - are you still nursing? If so, a lot of the cautions above would apply to you now (e.g. I'd do a hair test to see if I had mercury issues before I took diflucan - if you have mercury stored in your yeasties, you'd be mobilizing them, which isn't good for your nursling).

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#21 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 06:05 PM

Btw, if you are feeling, 'The more I learn, the less I know', join the club.

Pat

I have a blog.
#22 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez;14823840
If your amalgams are part of the problem[B
some people get fibro from mercury toxicity[/B], you can improve your health now, and definitely IMO make a better environment to grow a baby.

I want to go crawl in bed and never get out.

I am so appreciative of what I am learning through you all, yet I am undone. I have knots of muscle tissue (inflammation) all over my body. 30 plus spots. When you press them lightly, it feels like you are touching a bruise, only there isn't one and it hurts. They do not go away. Believe it or not I am mostly normal though, at least I thought I was, and I'm realizing that maybe I'm sicker than I thought I was.

I really have to do the diflucan. It one of my hopes to be normal and has helped thousands of ppl with fibro. I am about as natural as they come, really, truly, but to get candida deep within the cells and body a natural antifungal will not do and is mostly limited to the intestinal tract.

Okay, *breathes deeply*, baby may have to wait...maybe I just need to focus on self.
#23 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Btw, if you are feeling, 'The more I learn, the less I know', join the club.

Pat
oh my gosh, thank you. I needed that.
#24 of 65 Old 12-20-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
oh my gosh, thank you. I needed that.
Good for Wuwei for pointing it out, I had years of learning more and more and feeling like I knew less and less, and, well, it's a process. Seriously, learn and absorb, and take breaks when you need to. Taking breaks, and just gathering pieces that seem to apply to your situation, and taking more breaks, that's what we do, it works. It's been 4 years since I got sick, I went from what I thought was normal to feeling really bad all at once. And I'm still learning, and it's okay.

http://www.hsfighters.com/folate_not_folicacid.htm

I feel bad adding that link to this post, but that's the reason you want a multi with folate. Thorne makes good products, you may want one of their multis (one of the Basic Nutrients, probably w/o copper and iron) and a separate mineral supp (Citramins seem to be what they have), but those are good, absorbable forms, the folate is real and good, and yes, it'll be a bit more expensive, but not crazy expensive.

I'm not as anti-meds as Wuwei, just be aware that if you've got an underlying health issue ongoing (the link talked mostly about past issues, antibiotic use and stuff), then you can probably make progress on the candida, but maybe not completely kill it off. But I think progress, as part of multiple steps through this journey, is worthwhile. But consider that your nutrient needs will likely jump with the die-off, those vitamin C flushes I linked can help, activated charcoal helps some people, I use modifilan for similar situations, and daily bowel tolerance vitamin C would help some as well (be prepared for the amount you need to go up).

I love homemade kimchee, it is WAY yummy. I use the recipe from Nourishing Traditions w/o the whey (and w/o extra salt) and I've seen it improve DD's gut--I don't think hers will be perfectly happy til the metals are gone, but I can see noticeable improvement and that's good enough for now. And it's cheap if you have a food processor (grating by hand would be hard).
#25 of 65 Old 12-21-2009, 01:43 AM

Is the DDI hair test accurate while nursing?

OP, I can sympathize to some extent We are probably going to have a much bigger gap than we had planned while I try to figure enough things out. It's so much to learn and that's just what I can tell I don't know. I worry about whether or not I'll enjoy the idea of a baby inside since I'll probably be so worried about how my body and our genes are screwing it up again! I've got some spiritual as well as physical work to do there

:::
#26 of 65 Old 12-21-2009, 02:04 AM

Quote:
I've talked to a scientist who believes this dose is closer to what moms should be taking who are having children and nursing back to back. This is totally my thing and I'm just being cautious with getting enough omegas for me, nursling, and hopefully baby to be. THere's a lot on the net about 9 grams of omega 3 being the theraputic dose for lots of health problems.
Omega 3's in doses like that are usually being used to balance a high intake of omega 6's and to suppress inflammation. If you wanted to keep the benefits and lower the dosage, you could look at lowering your omega 6's, and finding the cause of inflammation. The first place I'd look for inflammation is gluten.
Quote:
I get cracks in the corners of my mouth when I slack of my prenatals, so I'm thinking that's b related. Whether I have folate issues I'm not sure. I will look into that prenatal, but I really love mine. It has lots of chelated minerals, calcium/mag, that I would have to probably supplement most other prenatals. It's six huge pills a day, so they are really packed.
First, with mercury, I'd be looking as much at B12 as at folate. I was just reading (I think panserborne posted?) about mercury reducing B12 levels by oxidizing the cobalt portion. So adding a sublingual methyl B12 could be really helpful.
Second, cracking corners of the mouth is riboflavin (B2) deficiency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
Is the DDI hair test accurate while nursing?
I think the biggest issue is it looking like you have a mercury issue when you don't (failing cutler's 'all low' counting rule), but that eating plenty of protein helps protect against that.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#27 of 65 Old 12-21-2009, 02:07 AM

2nd post on this page discusses the Hair Elements test from DDI and testing while nursing...

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...lating&page=30
#28 of 65 Old 12-21-2009, 02:12 AM

Good for you for looking into this NOW! No matter when you decide to TTC, working on yourself right now, as well as you are able, can really only help you and your future babe(s).

I would highly recommend just *trying* going gluten and dairy free, even just for 3 weeks or so, then (if you want) trialing them to see how they make you feel. (Although I don't really *react* to gluten as my ds does, I plan to avoid it anyway when I'm done nursing because I just feel so much better w/out it in my diet!) It seems like most everyone in the allergies forum here is at least gluten, and mostly dairy free as well (some only do butter and/or cultured raw milk like kefir...). And they can be really hard on the gut when it is damaged. Dropping them for a bit can help jumpstart healing IMO.

This stuff is all VERY overwhelming. Just take you're time, read things when you have the chance, and try not to stress over it all ( easier said than done ). Awesome that you're into WAPF and reading NT--traditional food prep methods have been a huge factor in our healing here (I 3rd/4th? the rec. for probiotic foods like fermented veggies--fabulous!!!). And WOO HOO on the bone broth! As for liver --you know, dr ron has some liver pills I took for a while and really felt good on (when I couldn't bring myself to eat liver). Super expensive though. The real thing is of course better (we've been talking a/b this a bit in the TF forum) but I'm in no position to lecture on it. Our easiest way to get it in is to puree when fresh, freeze in ice cube trays then throw in w/ ground meat or casseroles a couple cubes per lb of meat. Really not detectable to my family that way...

Good luck w/ everything--I'm glad you're here! This is an amazing group of wise mamas and I bet their input will help you continue w/ your healing!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#29 of 65 Old 12-21-2009, 02:40 AM

subbing bc i've already learned a bunch

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#30 of 65 Old 12-21-2009, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

There is so much good stuff to read. Thank you! I am feeling better about this all. Had some time to talk with dh last night and he is committed to my health and future babes health. It is really, really hard thinking of waiting to ttc much later than the few months we had planned. Baby is 15 months right now and I obssesivley check the due date calendars each month to see when ttc babes due time would've been.

I believe I do have mercury issues. The book I have that offers maximum pre-conception care suggests three main tests:

Prenatal lab work (what they do after your pregnant, only it's recommended to do it BEFORE)

Toxic metal screen (anyone living in the city or industrial enviroment or working in an industrial enviroment)

Food allergy testing if you have reason to believe this may be and issue for a healthy pregnancy and babe (nutrient absorption issues, etc.) and for the fact that moms allergies if not avoided during pregnancy can pass on to baby. (elisa or elimination diet)

So it seems like heavy metals are a big concern. Been reading like a mad woman today about mercury stuff and it is amazing how getting mercury out can affect health. one lady reported her bbt went up to normal and stayed there after getting them out. She had previously been a bit low temperature wise and had thyroid issues which self corrected. We are looking at getting my fillings out. Lots of reading to do about that. If that doesn't happen then we will proceed with as much care as possible.

It's late, I'm exhausted, and so thankful. I totally did not see that mercury could be that big of an issue, but perhaps that's my biggest? Will definitely be looking into the fibro/mercury connection.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page