4 day rotational diet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-22-2009, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to start my DS on a 4 day rotational diet, but not sure how to go about adding in new foods for it. He has a VERY limited diet right now, but we just finished aother round of patch testing that showed some"safe" foods for us to try. Should I immediately start to rotate them in, or should I do like I have been with the ED and start one food, give a little bit each day for 4-5 daysto see if a reaction occurs and then start rotating it, etc.? I just don't know what the best way to go about doing this is.

Right now his only safe foods are white potatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, pears, oats and green beans. Recent testing showed negative reactions to grape, apple and possibly pork and hemp milk. he cannot do any other meats, dairy, soy, eggs, rice, corn, etc. So, we're looking at maybe 9-10 foods to start rotating. Not much to rotate yet! But, I think other veggies and fruits will probably be able to be added back in quickly as well.

Thanks,
Valerie
#2 of 5 Old 12-22-2009, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would still add them in one every 4 days. As in test grape on day 1, and then wait 3 days. If no reaction, add it again on day 1, on day 2 the second time around, add something else. If you add them all in at the same time, even on consecutive days, and you have a reaction, you won't be able to tell which it is. At least that's been my experience. And since he doesn't have that many foods, even one addition every 4 or 5 days will be new and exciting!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 5 Old 12-23-2009, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, it's such a different way of thinking for me for all of this. The allergy dr. originally had us add a food back in in very small amount on day 1, increase amounts on day 2,3,4 and if no reaction it's considered safe. But, with his last round of patch testing we learned that he has become sensative to foods he has been eating because that's all he was eating on a daily basis. He built up an intolerance to it. So, we all agreed that doing a rotation diet would probably be best for him. I just wasn't sure if I should add new things in like I have been or not. It's all so confusing!!!

So, I should add something on day 1 and not give it again on day 2,3,4 and then re-give it on day 1 again. Got it!! (I think)
#4 of 5 Old 12-24-2009, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If the doctor told you to do it the other way, then do it that way if you want. It's just that if you give it to him on day 1, 2, 3 and then he reacts, it takes longer for it to get back out of his system. My kids' food issues are intolerances, not allergies, so maybe it's different. But whenever I add something back in, I add it in on whatever day it is (day 1, for example) and then wait the few days. If there was no reaction, then add it into the rotation. Because it may be that he's okay with it on one day in four, but he's not okay with it every day for 4 days. That's part of the point of the rotation diet. My son can have pork one day out of 4. Give it to him more often, and he starts getting stomachaches.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#5 of 5 Old 12-25-2009, 07:10 PM

I just set up a rotation diet for my allergy kid.

I plan to rotate in my allergenic new foods one at a time every four days. Our allergist also told us to test four days in a row. But my goal isn't just to know if he's reacting (I'll know if I do the new food several weeks every four days) but also to not lose the new food by developing an allergy. So it makes more sense to me to just add each thing to the rotation.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page