HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! First Chat of 2010!! - Page 34 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2010, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOL - tell her cross contimination is ruining my life too. And I am so putting that as my status update. I am, totally stealing it.

We may all be dying here - sore throats, ear infections, nastiness

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 06:01 PM

Did anyone see the threat in Health & Healing about vit d? It quoted some study that claimed that the benefit of vit d plateaus at around 50 or 60 and that taking lots of vit d to get your levels higher don't help and might hurt. Anyone?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 01-30-2010, 07:49 PM

I'm interested too...(on the vit D).

Chlobo, that's hard. I ended up weaning dd2 earlier than planned cuz of thrush--horrid, bleeding, pussing stuff. Ick for dd.

JR and Riley hope ya'll get better soon!

I've been "collecting, processing, and organizing" my homeschool stuff. (The correct way to do things according to David Allen, lol. (My dh's hero). 3 bags of trash, 2 bags of thrift store stuff. Everything whittled down to one dresser (minus games and books). :j oy

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Old 01-30-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Did anyone see the threat in Health & Healing about vit d? It quoted some study that claimed that the benefit of vit d plateaus at around 50 or 60 and that taking lots of vit d to get your levels higher don't help and might hurt. Anyone?
No, but off to look for it now.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:51 PM

I need some tips on keeping all this stuff organized, like the notes about new foods/recipes to try, the coconut yogurt making suggestions that I just collected from this thread, supps I want to try, what supps go with what, etc.

Actually, maybe I need to keep the food/meal plans separate from the supps/health/detox info, b/c all that together would overwhelm me!

So, as for organizing foods, new recipes to try, meal plans, any tips? I am a totally disorganized person by nature!
Old 01-30-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
No, but off to look for it now.
Here the link

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1189352

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 01-30-2010, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I need some tips on keeping all this stuff organized, like the notes about new foods/recipes to try, the coconut yogurt making suggestions that I just collected from this thread, supps I want to try, what supps go with what, etc.

Actually, maybe I need to keep the food/meal plans separate from the supps/health/detox info, b/c all that together would overwhelm me!

So, as for organizing foods, new recipes to try, meal plans, any tips? I am a totally disorganized person by nature!
I'm still in the process here again. My last meal plan was too labour intensive. I've been doing 1 week plans, trying to use up the food in my deep freeze so I can defrost it bc the 2 year old kept digging in it for the blueberries. When I do it again, I intend to make it MUCH more simple, even though DH has agreed to "giving" me Sundays as a "kitchen day" so that I can do all my prep work and stuff for the week and clean the kitchen properly (as it stands right now, I'm basically in and out of the kitchen in 5 minutes if at all possible. Prep as fast as I can, throw stuff in the oven, come out- back in to check it/take it out/plate it). Our meals haven't been all that exciting (baked chicken, baked pork chops, baked sausages If it can be baked, it's my friend.) because of this and although he's not complained, I can see he's bored with it because it's not leaving his plate all that quickly.
Anyway, I used to have a great system- with detailed lists of what was in my pantry, what was in my deep freeze, what was in my kitchen freezer and what was in my kitchen cupboards.
My head's still fuzzy and I'm still taking ibuprofen for my throat and I totally have a derailed train of thought now.
And I was so not "born organized", btw. I have friends like that though. I envy them.
Something else I was going to say but forgot.
Must have been a lie.

ETA: Of course, using up the food in the freezer is further complicated by the fact that I refuse to buy things in small quantities bc of the price difference (cheap much? ) and I'm still rotating meats AND I have a bunch of stuff in the freezer that we don't normally use often. Including a HUGE turkey. Trying to figure out what and when I want to eat that or how to use up the stuff I normally keep in the kitchen freezer to see if the turkey will fit in there while the deep freeze is defrosting.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 01-30-2010, 08:24 PM

Hey all,
Here's a book recommendation from a friend who used it to finally figure out how to make crystal testing work for her, and she's so happy. Its given her the tool to identify that mystery reactor for her daughter. I haven't read it yet, just ordering my copy now, but she said it goes into something like EFT also. Sounds very interesting... The book is called "He's Not Autistic, But..." And I guess the premise of the book is the true story about bringing her son back from the brink. I don't believe that the core of autism is curable, myself, but alot of the tendencies and behaviors can certainly be addressed. Anyhoo, I'll let ya know how I like the book when it gets here, and meanwhile... some of you might be interested. Cheers!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 01-31-2010, 02:58 AM

More B6 in the applesauce, another easy bedtime. I'm thinking we must be on to something here. Must get more apples at the farmer's market tomorrow!

And she spent the afternoon at Grammy's, which means we got to paint her room, finally! Only 3 more days of painting to go, and then we can get her her own bed and finish the room transformation!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Old 01-31-2010, 03:36 AM

How exciting. I can't WAIT until we get things done enough to paint around here. It will be a while though...

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
How exciting. I can't WAIT until we get things done enough to paint around here. It will be a while though...
Yeah, I bought this paint when we moved in, almost 3.5 years ago. Just now getting around to making it not a hobbies-we-don't-have-time-to-do-anymore room

Old 01-31-2010, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Long day, but good, went to DH's cousin's house for his twins 1st birthday, about a 3-hour drive away. They are strongly considering/planning to homeschool! Which I think they will enjoy and do well, but more, if mom is interested and excited after the first, grueling year with twins, I think the first year was better than it could've been.

Went to the WF in that city and got Udi's gluten/dairy/soy free lemon streusel muffins and cinnamon rolls. Crazy expensive, it's actually probably a good thing that they aren't available in the Houston area (don't tell me if they are!) because they're so good and so pricey, but they will be so yummy tomorrow morning.

Need to go back and read the vitamin D article in full (read only the excerpt in the original thread) but it looked like it was saying "35-40 is sufficient for lots of benefits, data isn't conclusive as to whether higher, say, 70-80-ish, is better or worse." That was my read of the excerpt. Their example of selenium is interesting because I'm not convinced that the high intakes of selenium were actually too high, so much as not balanced with a comparable intake of other nutrients that are co-factors for selenium stuff, zinc was my guess.

What I'd really like to know is if there are, say, some healthy people (not massively malnourished) people living outdoor lifestyles that we have blood vitamin D levels for? Most of us are inside so much compared to most of human history, it's just a huge lifestyle change, that it seems plausible that we are really, really deficient. Be even more interesting if there were any healthy outdoor groups that ALSO have a Price-like high vitamin A intake--would that depress circulating vitamin D in the blood, because it's being used (presumably for useful things)?

Must sleep. DH and I talked, we really want to focus on our health and how we feel for a few months, I think we could make huge leaps if we just stop piddling around and focus. I have pills on the way! I think DH could lose 10 lbs a month easily if we just fiddle with our diet a bit more and I'm consistent, and overall I just focus. And it's a good time to do that leading up to Treasure Map. I may put out a few feelers locally to see if anyone else has considered it, or would consider it. It would be nice to get together to cut pictures and chat with friends while we do start this.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Long day, but good, went to DH's cousin's house for his twins 1st birthday, about a 3-hour drive away. They are strongly considering/planning to homeschool! Which I think they will enjoy and do well, but more, if mom is interested and excited after the first, grueling year with twins, I think the first year was better than it could've been.

Went to the WF in that city and got Udi's gluten/dairy/soy free lemon streusel muffins and cinnamon rolls. Crazy expensive, it's actually probably a good thing that they aren't available in the Houston area (don't tell me if they are!) because they're so good and so pricey, but they will be so yummy tomorrow morning.

Need to go back and read the vitamin D article in full (read only the excerpt in the original thread) but it looked like it was saying "35-40 is sufficient for lots of benefits, data isn't conclusive as to whether higher, say, 70-80-ish, is better or worse." That was my read of the excerpt. Their example of selenium is interesting because I'm not convinced that the high intakes of selenium were actually too high, so much as not balanced with a comparable intake of other nutrients that are co-factors for selenium stuff, zinc was my guess.

What I'd really like to know is if there are, say, some healthy people (not massively malnourished) people living outdoor lifestyles that we have blood vitamin D levels for? Most of us are inside so much compared to most of human history, it's just a huge lifestyle change, that it seems plausible that we are really, really deficient. Be even more interesting if there were any healthy outdoor groups that ALSO have a Price-like high vitamin A intake--would that depress circulating vitamin D in the blood, because it's being used (presumably for useful things)?

Must sleep. DH and I talked, we really want to focus on our health and how we feel for a few months, I think we could make huge leaps if we just stop piddling around and focus. I have pills on the way! I think DH could lose 10 lbs a month easily if we just fiddle with our diet a bit more and I'm consistent, and overall I just focus. And it's a good time to do that leading up to Treasure Map. I may put out a few feelers locally to see if anyone else has considered it, or would consider it. It would be nice to get together to cut pictures and chat with friends while we do start this.
Sounds like a productive day. Is Udi's in the freezer case?

I too wish they had some kind of baseline to compare. What about testing a bunch of construction workers who spend lots of time outside?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 01-31-2010, 01:45 PM

Hey guys,
I remember something a while ago about testing our pots and pans with a magnet to see if they are safe. Was it to determine if they were truly stainless steel? Do you put the magnet on the inside or outside? Do you want the magnet to stick or fall off?

TIA! Sorry I am clueless today!
Old 01-31-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Hey guys,
I remember something a while ago about testing our pots and pans with a magnet to see if they are safe. Was it to determine if they were truly stainless steel? Do you put the magnet on the inside or outside? Do you want the magnet to stick or fall off?

TIA! Sorry I am clueless today!
It's to test nickel content - if it sticks, it's low nickel, if it falls off it's probably high nickel.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Sounds like a productive day. Is Udi's in the freezer case?

I too wish they had some kind of baseline to compare. What about testing a bunch of construction workers who spend lots of time outside?
It was a cold case, couldn't tell if it was frig temp or freezer temp. Just ate the lemon streusel muffins, gooooood.

Oohhh, I _think_ I remember something about lifeguards, I wonder if they have this somewhere at the vitamin D council website? They've got tons and tons of linked studies there. Maybe I should read more about why the 50-80 range is recommended.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post

Yeah, I wish I would have had my D tested when I worked 70 hours/week outside in my landscaping business!

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Old 01-31-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:

I have one binder with "health" stuff - supps, research, docs, etc, one for recipes, and one for meal plans. I print off calendars from MSWorks and put them into sheet protectors to keep my meal plan in. I pull recipes from the recipe binder and put them in the meal plan binder when I put a meal on the calendar. I put new recipes I want to try in the meal plan binder until I try them - they don't go into my recipe binder until they have been tested. I also keep running grocery lists in the meal plan binder -TJs, co-op, reg grocery store, gf store, etc.
I have enjoyed the recipes I got from heartofcooking.com's meal planners if you can eat the stuff she uses (lots of nuts & coconut, GAPS friendly).

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Old 02-01-2010, 01:43 AM

I B6

Third night in a row of easy bedtime. Next challenge: how to help her sleep longer stretches again. Intuition is telling me mag, but I'm scared. I can't handle more (any) twiddling

Old 02-01-2010, 02:12 AM

hey guys, I am popping on here really quickly to ask, does anyone know what nutrients/detox/methylation issues are implicated with gallstones?
Old 02-01-2010, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
hey guys, I am popping on here really quickly to ask, does anyone know what nutrients/detox/methylation issues are implicated with gallstones?
Something to do with oxalates and calcium, but I don't know details.

I've been thinking DS2 might need more B6, Shannon. How are you getting it into DD? Are you doing a multivite, B complex or straight up B6? eta: I'm so sick and tired of him only sleeping from 11ish til 7ish and then taking a 2 hour nap, or alternatively sleeping from 8pm til 5 or 6am and being up ALL DAY then taking tantrums from 3pm onward.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 02-01-2010, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I B6

Third night in a row of easy bedtime. Next challenge: how to help her sleep longer stretches again. Intuition is telling me mag, but I'm scared. I can't handle more (any) twiddling
whoMe, is B6 one of those things that you need to make sure you are also getting something else along with it? I am confused about which supps need to go together. We have mostly been doing diet and homeopathy and have had huge wonderful improvements over the past year, but I feel like now I want to really figure out the nutrient layer now. So part of me thinks I should introduce one at a time, to see what makes a difference. but then aren't there some things that you need certain other complementary things to go along with it? Like haven't people said that they took one supp, but it didn't help because they actually also needed some additional thing with it? Or am I making this more complicated than it needs to be?
Old 02-01-2010, 02:38 AM

No matter what, dd tends towards 12-13 hours of sleep in a 24hr period - whether it's 7pm-8am or 2:30-5:30 and 11-8 or 10:30-9:30. The b6 is just helping shift it earlier so that she actually gets sleepy at a reasonable hour. I'm mixing tiny bits of a tablet into chunky applesauce, just about 5mg total. The first day she noticed nothing, yesterday she saw some and fished it out, today she complained it was 'spicy'. Other ways I've gotten it into her are/were my milk, a perque chewable, b complex fudge, and a tablet blended into peach/coconut milk popsicles.

I was just doing folate/mag for a while, and that didn't seem to be depleting anything, then added biotin, same story. Now with the b6, I'm starting to think she needs something else to go along with it. My next kitchen project is going to be b6/b-complex nutella, methinks she'll love it! For myself, high dose b5/b6 definitely threw some stuff out of whack, so in general, I'd say a b complex is well worth it. But if you want to go individually to see what happens, high doses make for more dramatic/easier to spot deficiencies

Old 02-01-2010, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

New chat a few hours early.

User Tag List