HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! First Chat of 2010!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2010, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post

China Study is very low-no animal products according to my sister who read it. Very convincing though. We've had some interesting discussions. (Me having never read that and she having never read Dr Price)
interesting. I thought it had holes you could drive trucks through and I read it as a vegan. I was so suprised that people liked it so much! I didn't felt like it held water and certainly didn't make a case for vegetarianism IMO. I had one vegan friend that felt the same way. It's so interesting to hear different perspectives. I thought that rather than prove that those studied could thrive on a low animal diet it proved that they thrived in spite of it. I have to skim it again, cause it's not fresh in my mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 08:46 PM

Congratulations Dannic! wonderful news.

Good to see that everything is ok JR

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:52 PM

Dannic,

Congratulations!

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 01-05-2010, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
interesting. I thought it had holes you could drive trucks through and I read it as a vegan. I was so suprised that people liked it so much! I didn't felt like it held water and certainly didn't make a case for vegetarianism IMO. I had one vegan friend that felt the same way. It's so interesting to hear different perspectives. I thought that rather than prove that those studied could thrive on a low animal diet it proved that they thrived in spite of it. I have to skim it again, cause it's not fresh in my mind.
It's a no-animal-fat at all diet book. It's funny (I just started it today), he talks about scientific study and how some things are causal and some things are just coincidental. He talks about dairy being the cause of anything from type 1 diabetes to all autoimmune disorders to everything under the sun. But he doesn't say anything about anything else that is similar in the people's diets besides dairy, and I'm sure that's not the only thing in common. And, coming to that book after reading Pottenger's Cats, I'm of course leary that he used pasteurized milk and processed meats, and all that. He doesn't go into that part at all. He seemed more like he had an idea and then found everything to back it up and ignored everything that didn't. I still need to read the real Weston Price stuff, vs. WAPF's slants on it. And he says type 1 diabetes is caused by switching to milk and not BFing long enough, but he doesn't say how long that is, or what studies were done. After reading Pottenger's Cats, it just didn't seem very well documented. I think I'm still on the Whole Foods, and things in moderation, and good quality stuff mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
So, starting tomorrow (I'm posting this so that I'll be held accountable), there is no more dairy for me.
Noted! I'll hound you every day if you'd like... hee hee.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 01-05-2010, 09:09 PM

Congrats, Dannic!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
so, on an allergy note and to ruin my positivity streak today...
I figured since I was cheating on dairy anyway, I'd go whole hog.
BAD IDEA.
DS3's eczema is back and now he's been scratching it and he has scabs/scratches all over his head. Also, I am breaking out terribly and have scabs all over MY head. And ITCHY. And my head is congested, hearing is impaired and head hurts. And DS3 has been rubbing his ears.
So, starting tomorrow (I'm posting this so that I'll be held accountable), there is no more dairy for me.
But I'm wondering if my positivity is actually related to the stupid caseo-morphines... Which sort of makes me want to keep it in. I hate being so negative.
But I hate my baby and myself being all itchy and scabby more.
I'm thinking (here we go) that what I'm going to do is take the dairy out and try allowing myself to cheat occasionally on soy since my reason for avoiding it is that it's a goitrogen... of course then there's the whole GMO issue.
*sigh*
Why can't anything be simple?
Umm, I know the feeling. My intestines finally stopped cramping 3 days after I tried some goat's milk which was real fun when dd of course woke up every 45 minutes all night long....Dumb da dumb. The first 24 hours after ingestion were fine and dandy though (for both of us)! So I decided to take some 5-htp, at least until after my birthday (I am turning 30 and for some reason not very gracefully, mentally I am fine with it, but I guess emotionally not so much). What do you want that's soy? You can't do coconut, right? Coconut is really the only way I can handle my life right now.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Old 01-05-2010, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

What do I want that's soy? Creamy stuff. Rice milk stuff is just not doing it and I haven't really had the energy to MAKE stuff despite sleeping for 8+ hours every night (interrupted but hey). No, we can't do coconut or the majority of nuts and pine nuts have a weird after-taste that's not sitting with me right atm.
I've been accepting my feelings, really SEEING them and allowing myself to feel them but it hasn't changed how I'm feeling. :P I'm still homesick. Want my mom, my gran, my foster mom and even my father... Although the father bit may be because his birthday's coming up here right quick. So, I've been trying to take care of myself in lieu of having someone else do it.
Meh.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 01-05-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
What do I want that's soy? Creamy stuff. Rice milk stuff is just not doing it and I haven't really had the energy to MAKE stuff despite sleeping for 8+ hours every night (interrupted but hey). No, we can't do coconut or the majority of nuts and pine nuts have a weird after-taste that's not sitting with me right atm.
I've been accepting my feelings, really SEEING them and allowing myself to feel them but it hasn't changed how I'm feeling. :P I'm still homesick. Want my mom, my gran, my foster mom and even my father... Although the father bit may be because his birthday's coming up here right quick. So, I've been trying to take care of myself in lieu of having someone else do it.
Meh.
Scalloped potatoes are creamy. They satisfy that "need" for me.
What about a creamy vegetable soup with chicken broth and whatever vegetable and then put it in the blender?
What about cream of butternut squash soup? That's creamy and you only have to add a little rice milk to it to make it creamy.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 01-05-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Meh.
potato leek soup
pureed cauliflower
really thick gravy
hemp milk something

good for you for taking care of yourself though!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
]hemp milk something
This is the only thing I *haven't* tried yet. Nothing else is cutting it so far. I still haven't tried hemp milk myself. Totally need to. Thanks for the reminder.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 01-05-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
This is the only thing I *haven't* tried yet. Nothing else is cutting it so far. I still haven't tried hemp milk myself. Totally need to. Thanks for the reminder.
http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/n...rrfnbr=3035144
dd and I give it two thumbs up. I think they also make plain milks, too

Old 01-05-2010, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/n...rrfnbr=3035144
dd and I give it two thumbs up. I think they also make plain milks, too
They do. They sell them at FMs here but not the ice cream. There's one place in the city that sells the ice cream.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Scalloped potatoes are creamy. They satisfy that "need" for me.
What about a creamy vegetable soup with chicken broth and whatever vegetable and then put it in the blender?
What about cream of butternut squash soup? That's creamy and you only have to add a little rice milk to it to make it creamy.
Ooh- speaking of creamy soups... I just made my favorite- creamy spinach soup. It just has potato, onion, zucchini, spinach, water, salt/pepper.

Really, any kind of potato soup does the trick for me when I want creamy. mmmm- potatoes. (not that I should be eating them...)

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:16 AM

Dd's not going to sleep cause she wants to go to 'the Queen's house' and sleep there. And see the snow. What's the Queen's house? It's a hotel with a queen size bed. Where did that come from? The trip up to Oregon to see JR and CS. On the way up, we stayed at a B&B in the snowy mountains, and on the way back, we requested a room with a king size bed and got a queen. So we were talking about it, and now all hotels are 'the Queen's house.' She's been talking about this since she woke up this morning, after not mentioning it at all since the drive home back in November...

The girl cracks me up. We're going to see if we can do a weekend snow trip

Old 01-06-2010, 01:03 PM

The Queen's House thing is funny. My DD2 asked to go to the cat pool while we were on vacation. It took us a few minutes she realized that she meant the "kiddy" (kitty) pool. Kids are funny.

I'm hungry. All I want is popvers and I'm out of tapioca starch and sweet potato starch. I might have to resort to water chesnut flour and see if that works. I just can't get enough of them.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:13 PM

Okay, we're having 4 couples and their kids over for dinner on Saturday. There are my kids with their various intolerances, plus 2 kids with celiac, and those two kids also have diabetes, as well as one other girl with diabetes.

So I don't want to do anything carb heavy. It would be wonderful to have something EVERYONE could eat, but barring that (since I haven't thought of anything yet), I'm thinking something that can be broken down so that people can pick and choose the things they can have (like tacos, but that would be too labor intensive with me trying to figure out how to make a tortilla at this late date).

I have one couple bringing wine. And one couple bringing salad (she's the celiac kids' mom, so she's good about ingredients, and won't stick croutons or cheese or anything like that on it). The wife of one of the other couples actually works right near the gluten-free bakery, so I'm thinking of asking her to pick up cupcakes or something but they use xanthan gum, I believe, so it's not like anybody else would be able to have them. I could do ice cream for dessert, but then I'd have to make a batch for DS since he can't have any of the store-bought ones.

I need a vegetable, a main dish, a starch that goes with it, and dessert. Help me!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:49 PM

We do a homemade version of a dish called Cafe Yumm. The base is beans and rice, to which we add a serve yourself buffet of toppings:

shredded nori
shredded cheese (the pine nut cheese is good too)
meat/seafood of almost any kind (we've done everything from chicken to calamari)
fried bananas
sweet potato
tomatoes/salsa
white sauce/sour cream
olives

And then cafe yumm sauce (it's a local cafe, but there is a recipe here than could be modified http://www.recipezaar.com/Yummy-Sauce-297251 - it's already gluten free, sugar free, and dairy free).

ETA: And congratulations Dannic!!!!!!! (Sorry, didn't read upthread first...)

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Old 01-06-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
And then cafe yumm sauce (it's a local cafe, but there is a recipe here than could be modified http://www.recipezaar.com/Yummy-Sauce-297251 - it's already gluten free, sugar free, and dairy free).
I'd have to sub something for the almonds and the soybeans... what does it taste like? reminiscent of what else?

I wonder if I roasted a turkey (wait, it's already Wednesday and it would take that long to defrost... maybe not enough time) and then made enchiladas with the pita recipe from buckwheat pete. then did guacamole, salsa, sour cream, and cheese on the side (I'd also have to figure out an enchilada sauce)... Or if I did that AND another dish, so all I had to do was take things out of the oven.... or something in a crockpot. Why did I invite so many people?

Old 01-06-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I'd have to sub something for the almonds and the soybeans... what does it taste like? reminiscent of what else?

I wonder if I roasted a turkey (wait, it's already Wednesday and it would take that long to defrost... maybe not enough time) and then made enchiladas with the pita recipe from buckwheat pete. then did guacamole, salsa, sour cream, and cheese on the side (I'd also have to figure out an enchilada sauce)... Or if I did that AND another dish, so all I had to do was take things out of the oven.... or something in a crockpot. Why did I invite so many people?
It has a taste all it's own - it's really good, worth trying at some point, it's yummy as sauce, salad dressing, taco topping, a bunch of stuff.

I thought your taco idea was a really good one - can you use pitas as soft tacos and do that one? (Maybe with some purchased GF taco shells for those who can do corn, so you don't have to make so many)?

Old 01-06-2010, 09:06 PM

Sorry Kathy... I am completely uncreative with food these days. I would probably throw a leg of lamb in the crockpot and make some plain veggies.

Whew.... this week so far:
  • blood drawn (again) and mailed to Sage for ELISA
  • urine sample collected and mailed to Great Plains for OAT
  • 4 poo samples collected and mailed to GP for comprehensive stool
  • cheek swabs done and mailed to Enterolab for celiac gene test
And in 2 weeks, we see the new allergist and do SPT (and maybe RAST too.) What a month!

AND- I'm going to start supping DD directly with a whole bunch of stuff. She grabbed my vitamin D capsule the other day and started chewing on it while I wasn't looking... said "yucky" but kept on chewing... so I figured it couldn't be too bad. So this morning, I sprinkled some on her waffle and she ate it up. Next, we'll start back on the CLO (which we've been neglecting for a while), and we'll start C (twinlab w/quercetin), mag, zinc, maybe some probiotics, and maybe l-glutamine- haven't decided yet. At this point, my plan is to throw everything in at once and see what happens. Here's to hoping that she doesn't react to any of them!

Old 01-06-2010, 09:08 PM

Must go make dinner and don't want to. Wait! a knock on the door! my next load of supps just arrived. with renewed energy - off to go play with them.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Sorry Kathy... I am completely uncreative with food these days. I would probably throw a leg of lamb in the crockpot and make some plain veggies.
You must have dozens of lamb recipes. I've had it 4 times, 3 of the times I made it, once at a wedding. I don't like the gaminess of it AT ALL. I can't even remember what I've tried so far, but there's got to be something I can do to it so that we like it. It's a meat we could all have, so it would open up our "all eating the same thing" options. What can you tell me, oh knowledgeable one...

Quote:
Whew.... this week so far:
  • blood drawn (again) and mailed to Sage for ELISA
  • urine sample collected and mailed to Great Plains for OAT
  • 4 poo samples collected and mailed to GP for comprehensive stool
  • cheek swabs done and mailed to Enterolab for celiac gene test
And in 2 weeks, we see the new allergist and do SPT (and maybe RAST too.) What a month!
Holy bodily fluids, batman. That's a lot of collection!

Old 01-06-2010, 09:50 PM

Kathy, ground lamb makes really good meatballs - throw in some herbs and the flavors are really nice. Good hamburgers too (I eat it with hummus spread on top).

Old 01-06-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Kathy, ground lamb makes really good meatballs - throw in some herbs and the flavors are really nice. Good hamburgers too (I eat it with hummus spread on top).
Hamburger with hummus sounds REALLY good... I may have to find some ground lamb now...

Old 01-06-2010, 09:58 PM

CS - good luck. Hope the testing reveals some good things.

So, apparently supplementing does make a difference for some people (just not me).

DDs vitamin D was 11 in March. We retested last week and it was 92. Holy cow batman.

And her zinc was 50 in March and is now 98. You go girl!

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 01-06-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
So, apparently supplementing does make a difference for some people (just not me).

DDs vitamin D was 11 in March. We retested last week and it was 92. Holy cow batman.

Whoa!! That's a big jump! Don't go too high. I wish my numbers jumped that fast.

raw food for today: shredded carrots, Craisins, a little lemon juice, and some pine nuts. Not stellar, but okay. DD1 and DD2 said yuck, DH had no interest in trying, and DS couldn't have it because of the Craisins and the carrots and the lemon (hm, I guess he couldn't have much of it, eh?).

I'm going to make charoset using pears instead of apples, and see if they like that better.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
You must have dozens of lamb recipes. I've had it 4 times, 3 of the times I made it, once at a wedding. I don't like the gaminess of it AT ALL. I can't even remember what I've tried so far, but there's got to be something I can do to it so that we like it. It's a meat we could all have, so it would open up our "all eating the same thing" options. What can you tell me, oh knowledgeable one...

Holy bodily fluids, batman. That's a lot of collection!
Yeah- tell me about it. I had to package them all up.

No, I really don't have that many recipes at all. Ground lamb: burgers, meatballs. We cook shoulder steaks a lot- just pan fried. And our newest favorite is leg of lamb in the crockpot. It shreds up REALLY nicely... and then I make some gravy with the drippings, and it is oh so tender and delicious. I'm surprised that you think it's gamey- I didn't think so at all. And we had people over for dinner the other night and served one guy a lamb steak, and he just thought it was beef. I wonder if it's the source- did you try 100% grassfed?

Quote:
CS - good luck. Hope the testing reveals some good things.

Thanks- I really hope so too. Wow- that's amazing on the D!!! How much were you supping her? I'm just dumping the powder out of the capsule for DD, but I figure I'm giving her about 1,000IU's worth or so.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Thanks- I really hope so too. Wow- that's amazing on the D!!! How much were you supping her? I'm just dumping the powder out of the capsule for DD, but I figure I'm giving her about 1,000IU's worth or so.
Well it was 2-4,000. 11 was really low. I didn't supplement her over the summer. I just took her out a lot without sunscreen.

I've put a message in to my new ND to see if she wants me to change the supplementation plan. I'm thinking maybe the D in the CLO will do for now & maybe we should lower the zinc. But we'll see what she says.

In the meantime, mine is rising at a snail's pace.

Ok, since you brought up bodily fluids I'll share my story.

This afternoon the kids were each taking a bath in a separate bathtub. So I'm in the bathroom with DD when I hear DS calling me. I go into the bathroom and he keeps saying cat puke and pointing to the other end of the tub. Well it wasn't cat puke but a wonderfully formed poop. Ewe. Gross. I fished it out, flushed it, hosed down DS then cleaned the bathtub with bleach. Ewe. Gross. And he was so proud.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 01-07-2010, 12:32 AM

Anyone here have lots of rash experience? DD has this terrible looking butt rash and I'd like to see if anyone has ideas before I cart her off to the ped.

I have a picture. If you'd like to help me out can you pm me your email?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 01-07-2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Well it was 2-4,000. 11 was really low. I didn't supplement her over the summer. I just took her out a lot without sunscreen.

I've put a message in to my new ND to see if she wants me to change the supplementation plan. I'm thinking maybe the D in the CLO will do for now & maybe we should lower the zinc. But we'll see what she says.

In the meantime, mine is rising at a snail's pace.
Um, is your DD getting CLO as well? May I ask how much? Thinking I really should cut back on the kids' vitD dosage and get them tested. I forget why I was waiting a few more months, maybe I should do it sooner rather than later. I've been assuming I wouldn't overshoot too bad, but now I'm rethinking (been giving them 4,000 IU for a while now).

I will be not around much for a couple days, a friend's husband is working on my laptop, we talked about my recurring blue screen of death, and he's fiddling, he does this professionally, I am thrilled, but now I am mooching DH's computer.

Glad to hear about the zinc, woo-hoo! Can you look up what blood test it was? And was it fasting or non-fasting? Trying to make sure I know what to ask for from our pedi, I am assuming she may not run stuff like zinc all the time (but maybe I'm wrong).

Sorry you're going up slowly, didn't MtnMama say that D and inflammation were involved (but backwards, D helping with inflammation)? Your body surely has stress.

I am not at all knowledgeable about rashes, wish I could help. Sorry about the poop, DD did that a long time ago, but yay for formed poop!

User Tag List