HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! First Chat of 2010!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy New Year!!!!!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#2 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 10:12 AM

Happy New Year!!!!!!

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#3 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 01:35 PM

Happy New Year Friends!

I am so excited about this year. I want to sit down and right down my hopes and goals, but want to give it the time it deserves.
I'm about to go on a First Day hike at Walden Pond. looking forward to it.

write later.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#4 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 03:52 PM

Oh my goodness.. not only a new month, but a whole new year!

I am spending the first day of the new year sick as a dog - I'm pretty sure it's a sinus infection.

Happy New Year!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#5 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 04:37 PM

Looking forward to seeing what this new year has to offer us all...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#6 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Oh my goodness.. not only a new month, but a whole new year!

I am spending the first day of the new year sick as a dog - I'm pretty sure it's a sinus infection.

Happy New Year!

I sympathize.
The mail server broke yesterday and I got 0 minutes of sleep last night bc ds2 has decided he is the only one deserving of milk.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#7 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
I have never had an issue with oatstraw and gluten but there is a mama on this board who says she has. DD visibly reacts to gluten though and I've never ever seen an issue with it. I've been doing them for years and very regularly too. However if it concerns you, exercise caution!

I can't imagine putting a cup of herbs into a quart sized jar. I go between 1/4 and 1/2. That's as high as I'd go though. And yes, I consider red clover to be blossoms. They turn bitter, fast.
on the amounts, I need to dig up the other thread, I'm feeling befuddled because I thought I was doing it the normal way. But it's good to know about the red clover, no one's been thrilled since I added it, I guess letting it sit 4 hours isn't the best move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post

How fast does zinc act? The chewies seem to be gone as of yesterday, but she only got a little zinc the day before, then maybe 10mg yesterday morning and a little more today. I seriously think I'm just seeing what I want to see half the time here. And I *know* that's what dh thinks is going on ALL the time.
When the kids are borderline, I see changes within a day or two of increasing the dosage, or skipping doses. It's pretty fast _if_ they're just borderline, but to get to that point took quite a long time supplementing (maybe a month when I added in one more capsule of zinc for the kids? beyond our long-term baseline amt I mean).

I'm sorry the troubleshooting is still ongoing.

The New Year, this year, is turning out to be a nice time to reflect. Most years it hasn't been particularly helpful/of interest, so this is nice. I still need a bit more time to really think, things have been busy (still in El Paso, very nice visit, fun and productive, worked on projects here, totally fell down on pills for the kids and even more for myself, but hey, who cares? ).

Happy New Year to everyone, Boudicca, forgot to quote you from the last thread, hope you start feeling better soon and figure out what's going on, sounds confusing and frustrating and sorta scary.
#8 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 06:08 PM

Up way too late last night, talking with dh. Totally didn't even look at a clock and missed midnight - there was a big boom that was *probably* at midnight, but it didn't even register that it might have been a celebration until this morning

Dh and I were talking about perspectives and pseudo science and my mood history and stress levels. I *think* (hope) he's FINALLY on board. I think I've thought that before. But he was suggesting a spreadsheet to track symptoms and supplements and food trials so that he could better believe that this isn't all in my head. And he was realizing how much this is stressing me out and that there are different things he can do to help relieve my stress. Anyway, despite no sleep (after all that, dd couldn't sleep in the middle of the night) I'm actually feeling better than yesterday instead of worse, and things are looking up

I want to make myself some egg nog, cause it'd make me happy. Trying to decide if I should go to the store for raw cow's milk, or wait till next week and order some fresh raw goat milk to use that. (Coconut really doesn't cut it for me)

And finally, I don't know how many of you are on GFCFNN, but a link to this blog post about butyrate was just posted. Do we have a probiotics and prebiotics thread?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#9 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
When the kids are borderline, I see changes within a day or two of increasing the dosage, or skipping doses. It's pretty fast _if_ they're just borderline, but to get to that point took quite a long time supplementing (maybe a month when I added in one more capsule of zinc for the kids? beyond our long-term baseline amt I mean).
I have finally decided to join in with a chat thread. I have never done so before even though I am in this allergy forum all the time.

What type of zinc is this that you can get your kids to take? I have realized that my 2 yr dd needs zinc for her health issues. I have noticed a difference wen I can get her to eat enough pumpkin seeds, but she is getting tired of eating them every day. And half the time she tries to get them down that they come out whole the other end.
#10 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 07:13 PM

Happy New Year? I mean, Happy New Year!!

I started out today feeling . . . lost. dd2 (who is 1) woke up with the everyday rash on her belly - kind of worse than normal. But it has been on her legs before and not today. I just, I just don't even know what to do anymore. I posted a help my baby post a while back - but I just feel overwhelmed and like I should start a new one chronicling the entire history of her first year. I am so lost in a maze today.

Trying to make meatloaf without any cracker and using turkey. See how that works. I made rice with chiken bone broth which I used as a substitute for the crackers. Then just added some seasoning. Ri and I will have to put ketchup on our own later since dd2 has a tomato allergy. I must be honest and admit that I grated a brazil nut into the meatloaf - I figure it will not be tasted at all. But it probably won't benefit anyone as it will be so spread out through the whole loaf.

Okay so
If we are high on Cadnium, that effects zinc right?
I know she is low on calcium and magnesium and am trying to work that in
She has no selenium
High in arsenic - did I just read that meant something?
Low on iron - which I want to be careful about because I know that it can be replaced by Lead. Lead is not real high right now.
I think she is getting good a, c, and d right now
I ran out of probiotics and glutathione, which I want to replenish soon

Just, super lost. She didn't sleep well last night (go figure!). I need sleep - and for that I need her to sleep. And the belly rash worries me so.

I'm going to be honest: My fear is that I know that food and gi issues are associated with asd issues. I know that a lot of kids regress in this 12 to 24 month range. I really worry about that happening. As it is, she seems like a classic case of ADHD - she just doesn't stop. No sitting and playing with toys. Just running around and touching everything. She is very social and makes good eye contact. But I will admit it for the first time ever, behaviorally I find her to be a challenge. And it is taxing. And it stresses me out. And it makes me sad and worried. My 7 year old was and is the most easy going child (overly emotional in the sad category, but otherwise easy). Dd2, not so much.

So, here's to a good 2010. I hope something good happens for us all and that we can figure out how to optimize our family's health.

Karen
#11 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I have finally decided to join in with a chat thread. I have never done so before even though I am in this allergy forum all the time.

What type of zinc is this that you can get your kids to take? I have realized that my 2 yr dd needs zinc for her health issues. I have noticed a difference wen I can get her to eat enough pumpkin seeds, but she is getting tired of eating them every day. And half the time she tries to get them down that they come out whole the other end.
Welcome to the thread, the more the merrier.

I give the kids powders, I open capsules. They recently started swallowing pills, but before that I mixed the powder with a tablespoon of juice (strong flavored, I used black cherry juice for a long time), and sometimes I put powder in between two layers of applesauce (anything squishy would work).

If your kiddo prefers real foods and has a broad flavor palate, you can get a LOT of zinc in via oysters. I've never eaten an oyster, and I'm a bit scared to try, so I can't give more advice than that.

If you're seeing benefit with pumpkin seeds, you can grind them and use them in grain-free recipes instead of almond meal, or you can add them to other baked goods that aren't grain-free.
#12 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

posted this elsewhere

Quote:
DS2 has been wanting to nurse CONSTANTLY, day and night. He has started waking 4+ times a night to nurse- more than my 7 month old and he wants to nurse CONSTANTLY during the day, often taking temper tantrums if I have to nurse the 7 month old (both day and night).
I don't know what to do! I'm seriously losing my mind. I am SO EXHAUSTED.
then just realized i've been messing up on his allergens recently.

he is literally OBSESSED with milkies right now. it's practically the only word out of his mouth to me.

#13 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 07:55 PM

Just jumping in to say my meatloaf was AWESOME. Yeah - and very proteiny what with the turkey and eggs. 7 Year old was all: "I'm so glad God made taste buds. This is yummy."

And welcome to the chat thread. What makes you think zinc? What are the issues you are seeing?

And just now when I typed this - 1 year old stacked 3 blocks. This is the first time I have ever seen her do anything like this. Yeah.

Karen
#14 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
posted this elsewhere

then just realized i've been messing up on his allergens recently.

he is literally OBSESSED with milkies right now. it's practically the only word out of his mouth to me.
So DS has been really red this whole week. I started a new remedy & another supplement but other than that nothing out of the ordinary. We were scratching our heads wondering if the green tea I was drinking might be the cause. Then, suddenly, i remembered that I'm taking abx.

Anyhow, I'm hoping that's the cause b/c I'm almost done with them and I'd like to continue with the green tea.

so its not only you.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#15 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyscoutmom View Post
And welcome to the chat thread. What makes you think zinc? What are the issues you are seeing?
My dd has loads of allergies. She especially gets constpated with meat. JaneS suggested zinc for her digestion and WhoMe has great info I learned about her liver detox pathways improving from zinc. And her rashes are less so I think it is helping. She even had some fermented cod liver oil which was an issue and she did well on it!!
#16 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the thread, the more the merrier.

I give the kids powders, I open capsules. They recently started swallowing pills, but before that I mixed the powder with a tablespoon of juice (strong flavored, I used black cherry juice for a long time), and sometimes I put powder in between two layers of applesauce (anything squishy would work).

If your kiddo prefers real foods and has a broad flavor palate, you can get a LOT of zinc in via oysters. I've never eaten an oyster, and I'm a bit scared to try, so I can't give more advice than that.

If you're seeing benefit with pumpkin seeds, you can grind them and use them in grain-free recipes instead of almond meal, or you can add them to other baked goods that aren't grain-free.
Good idea! I love the almond meal recipes but don't use those anymore since that is an issue for us. I guess that since zinc is a mineral it is fine even after cooking.
#17 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 08:19 PM

I used to have this website bookmarked that you could put in what foods you ate during a week and then it would tell you which nutrients you were lacking and what foods you could add. I lost it. I know it also told you the nutrients of indivdiual foods. Does anyone have a website that can do this? Argghhh.

Karen
#18 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Do we have a probiotics and prebiotics thread?
probiotics 101

Pat

I have a blog.
#19 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 08:36 PM

How is this? I just checked here and it says that liver is high in zinc and I am adding zinc for my dd digestion, but liver makes her constpated.
http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname...=115#foodchart
#20 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:

Brainchild has a liquid zinc that is easy to mix in yogurt or DS was even OK with it straight in a squirter.

With pumpkin seeds, you can also put them in a blender and make flour, and then sub it as part/all of the flour in cookie/muffin recipes. It's totally yumm, and a lot more digestible ground up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyscoutmom View Post
Okay so
If we are high on Cadnium, that effects zinc right?
I know she is low on calcium and magnesium and am trying to work that in
She has no selenium
High in arsenic - did I just read that meant something?
Low on iron - which I want to be careful about because I know that it can be replaced by Lead. Lead is not real high right now.
I think she is getting good a, c, and d right now
I ran out of probiotics and glutathione, which I want to replenish soon

Just, super lost. She didn't sleep well last night (go figure!). I need sleep - and for that I need her to sleep. And the belly rash worries me so.

I'm going to be honest: My fear is that I know that food and gi issues are associated with asd issues. I know that a lot of kids regress in this 12 to 24 month range. I really worry about that happening. As it is, she seems like a classic case of ADHD - she just doesn't stop. No sitting and playing with toys. Just running around and touching everything. She is very social and makes good eye contact. But I will admit it for the first time ever, behaviorally I find her to be a challenge. And it is taxing. And it stresses me out. And it makes me sad and worried. My 7 year old was and is the most easy going child (overly emotional in the sad category, but otherwise easy). Dd2, not so much.
Karen
Doesn't sound like ASD (my DS is on the spectrum). Sounds like you're dealing with mineral deficiencies and metals issues, which cause lots of behavioral and digestive problems (and which lots of ASD kids also have).

To me, it sounds like you have mag issues. Arsenic blocks magnesium utilization, so she'll need a lot more mag than most kids to balance that out (and B6 to help it get used - B6 counteracts the arsenic some). But "ADHD" type behaviors are classic low magnesium. I'd start there - if she is low mag, focusing on that will have a ton of awesome effects - sleep, behavior, calmness, focus...

Brainchild makes a liquid mineral supp which you might want to try - it has selenium, zinc, mag, and several other important trace minerals. Then I'd do extra zinc and a lot of extra mag in addition to that, to counteract the high cadmium and high arsenic you're dealing with. And assuming you're still nursing, take lots of B vites and extra B6 yourself - those pass through breastmilk really well, and they're hard to supp with LOs (they taste nasty). But supp the minerals direct - you won't be able to pass her the high levels she needs in your breastmilk.

Quote:
One caution on oysters - they're also sky high in copper. Copper and zinc are antagonists (they compete for absorption), so I'm not sure you'd get the benefit of all the zinc in the oysters. And many people low in zinc are high in copper, and really high copper foods can be troublesome.

I found it very difficult to source foods that would help correct a zinc deficiency. I think we did fairly well with foods for molybdenum, selenium, calcium - but zinc and mag, we needed lots of supps.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#21 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
How is this? I just checked here and it says that liver is high in zinc and I am adding zinc for my dd digestion, but liver makes her constpated.
http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname...=115#foodchart
Liver is another high zinc food that is even higher in copper - and copper depletes zinc and prevents its absorption, so I'm not convinced low zinc people get the right effects from eating liver or oysters/shellfish (high in zinc, but even higher in copper).

#22 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking the same thing about the ASD, Deb... I've been wondering too... Even if removing foods helps with symptoms and stuff, if the behaviours and whatnot were present before elimination, does that mean the child would still be considered to be "on the spectrum"? I'm wondering because I was watching some videos of children with ASD and totally recognized a WHOLE LOT of what DS1 was like pre-eliminations. Lining things up, lack of eye contact, yadda yadda. (Too tired to think of other things that rang bells for me.)

#23 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing about the ASD, Deb... I've been wondering too... Even if removing foods helps with symptoms and stuff, if the behaviours and whatnot were present before elimination, does that mean the child would still be considered to be "on the spectrum"? I'm wondering because I was watching some videos of children with ASD and totally recognized a WHOLE LOT of what DS1 was like pre-eliminations. Lining things up, lack of eye contact, yadda yadda. (Too tired to think of other things that rang bells for me.)
I think the challenge is that autism is just a collection of symptoms. And if you have "enough" of the symptoms on the list, you get diagnosed with ASD. And if you don't, you're just "quirky". There is no single symptom that makes it really clear whether your child has ASD or not. In our case, DS very clearly lacked the social piece - do they connect with you, learn by watching, and by 12-15 months old, interact with you primarily for "experience sharing" - being excited by something together, learning together. ASD kids will interact, but it's more often "instrumental" - get me something, fix this, meet my need. So my son might bring me a toy because he needs help opening it, but he doesn't bring me a toy because it's exciting to him and he wants to share those feelings with me. To me, that's the core deficit of autism - lack of ability to experience share effectively. As kids get older, that results in lack of ability to relate to their peers in meaningful ways, and the social deficits are more obvious.

The other things - lining stuff up, spinning, running from toy to toy with lack of focus, sensory issues (which can include lack of eye contact - too overwhelming) - those are all common with kids on the spectrum, but they don't define autism. At least some of them are required for a diagnosis, but I think that's because the diagnostic criteria are outdated. My son squarely meets the social/communication diagnostic criteria, but he would likely only qualify for a full diagnosis of autism if I take him in on a day when I withhold his magnesium and get him spinning and whacking on things .

I think most kids on the spectrum have at least some of these other behaviors because most kids on the spectrum are nutrient deficient and/or dealing with metals toxicity and/or food intolerances. So yes, you will see some overlap between reacting kids and ASD kids - but the overlap tends to be in the lining stuff up/spinning/flapping/ADD behaviors, not in the core social/experience sharing behaviors.

To give you a more concrete sense of what I mean... My son will be 3 in March, is considered "mildly affected" (mostly because he doesn't have a lot of the other co-occurring symptoms on a regular basis), and has made HUGE progress socially this year. But he has still:

1) never pointed at anything. Non ASD kids generally do this by 15 months old. Definitely never pointed at anything for the primary purpose of sharing excitement ("look mama, a plane!!", vs. "mama, get me that juice"). Only in the last few weeks will he sometimes follow when I point at something.

2) only very recently started responding to his name unless we were within a couple feet of him, and up until a year ago, never looked to see where we were in a room. He has made enormous strides on this in the last year. Huge. But last Christmas, DH has a photo series (automatically taken once a minute Christmas morning) at my parents house. There were 20 people (lots of kids) in my parents' living room, unwrapping gifts and general mayhem for 2 hours. And for the entire 2 hours, DS sat right in the middle of the room and played with some stacking blocks. He did not look at anyone, including me (I was about 3 feet away most of the time), for two entire hours. The room eventually emptied, and he was oblivious.

3) tends to solve problems himself, very rarely involves one of us to help (this is changing a lot recently). He will accept interaction (many ASD kids have challenges even with this), but until recently, didn't know how to initiate an interaction.

4) absolutely clueless what most facial expressions mean - if I smile at him, he understands that, but if I frown, shake my head, look sad, project calmness and comfort, show fear, signal approval - those are meaningless to him. He is doing well with sounds and gestures that communicate some of these ideas and feelings (but that is new in the last few months, and based on LOTS of time and specific therapy). Faces are next - but non-ASD kids don't need to be taught to look at your mama's face for information, and don't need help figuring out what the face means.

5) until about 9 months ago, had never imitated - this is a primary way babies learn how things work, how to do things. Imitation was still very infrequent until 2-3 months ago - now he's got it very well for imitating with objects, but he still hasn't put together imitating body movements (e.g. if I stick out my tongue or clap my hands, he has never copied me. Most babies do this intuitively and easily).

6) never said mama to me, never initiated a hug, never waved goodbye. He has a few words, but there is a reason most babies learn mama/dada first - it's powerful connection building (as are hugs and waving). He sometimes walks around the house saying "mama mama mama", but to him, they are still sounds without a purpose. He is learning that touch and sound are forms of communication - he is getting very good at dragging me places, and he often asks us to play with him now (very exciting, because play is experience sharing). He is beginning to understand a lot more nonverbal communication, but he still has very limited nonverbal communication skills himself (at which most 9 month old babies are absolute masters!).

To me, these things are the core of my son's autism. And it is the part that is least related to foods/metals/nutrients. The progress we've made here doesn't correlate with food issues or nutrients or anything other than a lot of work and therapy and time invested. Flapping, spinning, sleep, wildness, even eye contact to some degree, I can relate back to food and nutrients. I know what makes them better and worse. And I want to keep them managed as well as possible - as you all know, a food reaction or deficiency driven behavior can derail everything else! But I don't believe there is a vitamin to give or a food to avoid that will fuse the connections in my son's brain needed to know what my face means when it is sad, or give me a hug or say my name or point excitedly at the sky to open a connection with me. That will come, if it does from other work we do, from time and love and learning the unique ways of my son's brain, just as I've tried to learn the unique needs of his body.

Wow, that turned into a novel, and a pretty personal one. I'm going to post it, but I may come back later and take some out, not sure yet.

#24 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 11:22 PM

Wow, what an awesome powerful mama you are. I've never really understood the difference between the ASD & the "quirky" kids and I do understand it a lot more now. I am so impressed with your depth of knowledge both of ASD & of the nutrient issues and what you've been able to accomplish in both areas.

I hope you are proud of yourself and what you are doing for your family.

Here's to hoping 2010 is a great year for you and your family.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#25 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Sorry JR, I never really answered your original question here . It's a big debate in the autism community whether you can be cured, lose a diagnosis, etc. The therapy we are doing with DS often results in losing a diagnosis, because it is good at addressing some of the social/communication symptoms that are required for a diagnosis. However, the question is, does that child no longer have autism, or do they just have well managed autism? Kind of like, if your only measure for diabetes was blood sugar, and someone got their blood sugar under control, would they still be diabetic? Since we don't have any way to diagnose autism besides the symptoms, it's complicated. There's some new research showing brain scans of ASD kids show less neural connectivity (their brain centers work well, they just don't know how to work together) - but even there, therapy can literally grow brain connections.

In my experience, it kind of depends on the parents - those seeking a "cure" are very quick to believe their children are no longer autistic. The therapy we are doing, I hear more parents who believe their kids are developing more normally now, but still have some challenges and ways of learning which are peculiar to their autistic brains. And some people believe you are born autistic, and it's about the brain you were born with, not any particular symptoms.

My DD was immensely shy as a little girl, and is very social now - but sometimes the shyness sneaks out, or I see hints of it that others might not notice. Is she still shy? Who cares, really - what matters is that I can give her the support she needs in the moment. Same with my son. If we are successful with the work we are doing now, he might well arrive at kindergarten no longer able to qualify for an autism diagnosis. What will matter is getting him the support he needs, no matter what label he has then. I embrace the autism label for him now because it helps me (and sometimes helps others) figure out how he learns, how to reach him, what he needs. One day, it might not be very useful, and we'll let it go.

OK, end of novel #2!

#26 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Wow, what an awesome powerful mama you are. I've never really understood the difference between the ASD & the "quirky" kids and I do understand it a lot more now. I am so impressed with your depth of knowledge both of ASD & of the nutrient issues and what you've been able to accomplish in both areas.

I hope you are proud of yourself and what you are doing for your family.

Here's to hoping 2010 is a great year for you and your family.
Thank you . I think I needed to hear that today!

#27 of 1014 Old 01-01-2010, 11:55 PM

JR, a question from a friend of a friend, do you have a link on HG and stuff like milk thistle, dandelion root, like that? I'm realizing that she's not gone much beyond stuff like ginger, crackers, small snacks, basic stuff that's more for regular morning sickness.
#28 of 1014 Old 01-02-2010, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
JR, a question from a friend of a friend, do you have a link on HG and stuff like milk thistle, dandelion root, like that? I'm realizing that she's not gone much beyond stuff like ginger, crackers, small snacks, basic stuff that's more for regular morning sickness.
I can go look on the HG thread in the Pregnancy forum for the link to the liver detox stuff but that's more preventative than in the throws of it kind of stuff...

If she's into it bad, I'd tell her to treat it aggressively starting with homeopathy and acupuncture and adding in meds as needed.

#29 of 1014 Old 01-02-2010, 12:03 AM

Homeopathy helped you, didn't it? I forgot that, the middle friend already suggested acupuncture which sounded like a great idea to me. I _thought_ milk thistle and some part of dandelions was ok to take during pregnancy, but I wasn't sure and wanted more advice from an expert.

eta: safe, but I did wonder how much they'd help--wanting to get enough help to actually feel better.
#30 of 1014 Old 01-02-2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:
I can go look on the HG thread in the Pregnancy forum for the link to the liver detox stuff but that's more preventative than in the throws of it kind of stuff...

If she's into it bad, I'd tell her to treat it aggressively starting with homeopathy and acupuncture and adding in meds as needed.
Quote:
Homeopathy helped you, didn't it? I forgot that, the middle friend already suggested acupuncture which sounded like a great idea to me. I _thought_ milk thistle and some part of dandelions was ok to take during pregnancy, but I wasn't sure and wanted more advice from an expert.

eta: safe, but I did wonder how much they'd help--wanting to get enough help to actually feel better.
I was sooo sick with my first pregnancy and didn't know that I could do anything about it besides crackers.
Second one, I started out sick and totally treated it very sucessfully and quick with homeopathy. I used pulsatilla 30c when having aversions, and nux vomica 30c when throwing up.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page