How do/did you cope? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-08-2010, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi mamas,

I am needing some serious emotional support as I am coping very poorly with my dietary restrictions and the lack of results (mainly in the sleep department) that I am seeing.

I have been off dairy, gluten, eggs, corn and all legumes for two months now, and dd (6 months) is still sleeping quite poorly. She sometimes wakes up screaming every 45 minutes or every two sleep cycles if we are lucky. There are so many things I want to eat but can't. If I was able to get more peaceful sleep then I can stay on this for the long run (we have seen positive results in her skin and stool). But not getting enough food and rest, plus this dreary Pacific Northwest winter is getting very hard for me. I will have to talk to my family doc about getting some SSRIs if things don't change in a week or so.

How do you all do it? I was at the supermarket yesterday looking at ingredient lists for snack foods and I just felt like this little kid in a candy store who had to put everything back down.

When will this get better?
#2 of 24 Old 01-08-2010, 07:44 PM

You're still eating soy? It's one of the top problems. Unless you're including it under all legumes. It can be any food remember. Are you keeping a food journal? Are there any improvements or regressions that point toward another food?

I deal with it by making food that mimics what I can find in the store. It's hard at the beginning. Try to stick with whole foods as much as possible. I barely go in the prepared foods aisles. One thing that was my savior was potato chips (2 brands were safe for us) but potatoes are a problem for a lot of people. I also like sweets so I make fudge and cookies and things.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 24 Old 01-08-2010, 08:28 PM

bean-e, i'm new to all this but maybe getting some yummy snack/convience foods might ease the load a bit and cheer you up. Being in the pnw to I know there's usually lots of variety at a good price as far as health food stores go, but have you ever looked at Vita Costs foods selection? I found them when looking for foods for my mom for her eat right for your blood type diet. There are no really good hfs there in her part of Mississippi and what there is is expensive. Anyways, they are very well priced and vita cost has free shipping over a reasonable amount and they have tons of gluten free stuff...pasta, snack bars, etc. Here's a link... http://www.vitacost.com/productResul...x?ss=1&Ntk=pro

here's a really great looking sprouted rice protein powder. I don't tend to go for such processed food, but it's not sounding like such a bad idea for awhile. It would make a great snack in between meals blended with bananas and flax seed or whatever. It's a 30 day supply at two drinks a day (16 grams protein each) or a 60 day supply at one a day for only $13.76! That's a great deal! Just an idea. http://www.vitacost.com/Source-Natur...ProductReviews

Lastly, have you ever heard of azure food co-op? I've been ordering from them for 7 plus years and get great prices! I will be looking in there catalog with new eyes for gf, df, eg stuff and I plan to get some mixes to make it easy on myself in the beginning. THey are such a blessing to my family! I can get a gallon of raw honey for just over 20 dollars. You can order a free catalog from here and call to see if there's already a drop in your town. http://www.azurestandard.com/

Sorry, I can't help you with the sleep thing. Is there an alllergy you may not have pulled out yet? Are you doing nuts? That might be a possiblity. Hang in there mama.
#4 of 24 Old 01-08-2010, 10:44 PM

5-htp.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#5 of 24 Old 01-09-2010, 05:04 AM

Are you in Seattle by any chance? (I'm just curious... I would love to find another allergy mom to commiserate with. )

If you've been off things for that long and you're still seeing symptoms, then there is something else that you're missing. You definitely would have seen improvements by now. Have you tried a rotation diet (with food journal)? Sometimes it's easier to look back and see the patterns if you're not eating the same thing every day. Have you done any allergy testing (IgE or IgG)? What ARE you eating right now? We can help you brainstorm!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#6 of 24 Old 01-09-2010, 06:55 AM

Do you have/had mercury fillings in your teeth. If so, rapid weight loss could be a factor of releasing more mercury into circulation. This could definitely effect your child's sleep.

Have you added magnesium, zinc and probiotics to your diet? And are you getting enough B-vitamins and Omega 3 fatty acids?

Avoiding caffeine?

Pat

I have a blog.
#7 of 24 Old 01-09-2010, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you mamas. We had a magical night. She woke up only three times and I got lots of rest. If only all nights are like last night.

Changing seasons: I live in Vancouver...close enough to Seattle, but not exactly close at the same time.
I have done testings for myself and have stayed off all the foods that I am allergic to. We are waiting for dad's test results and maybe that will help too. I have not been doing the rotation diet, but have been keeping a food journal. I think the other thing i just realized is that all nuts are off limits as well.

Mommyjenn: I have been ordering all my supplements from vitacost, but have not looked at their food items. I will have a look this weekend and see what I can find. It's the snacking part that is the hardest for me. I've always been a big snacker who grazes all day long. I can't exactly graze on lamb and chicken all day long

Kjbrown92: I have been off soy as well. I think potatoes are fine for us, but potato chips are not exactly safe. Health Canada is considering putting an anti-cancer drug into potato chips and fries because acrylamide is found in potatoes (and some other foods) cooked at a high temperature. It would be a lot easier for me to cope if I was seeing very clear results. It is just so frustrating that she is still not sleeping well and is extremely hyper.

Thinking back to having a baby, everyone warns about the lack of sleep, but no one ever warned me about not being about to eat what I want...

Pat: yes I have mercury fillings, and quite a few for that matter. Does taking bentonite clay help to suck it out? I have read your other posts about not doing any detoxing while breastfeeding. And yes, I can almost make a meal out of the supplements that I take. They're probably what's keeping me going.

Caffeine? I don't have it everyday, but I do get some of it from teas. I really like my Chai.

Are there other things to watch out for?
#8 of 24 Old 01-09-2010, 02:28 PM

I have a hard time with the snacky stuff too. I eat a LOT more raisins than I should, because it's usually the only thing that I can find to just throw in my mouth. That, and Enjoy Life chocolate chips (dairy/soy free).

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#9 of 24 Old 01-09-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean-e View Post

Pat: yes I have mercury fillings, and quite a few for that matter. Does taking bentonite clay help to suck it out? I have read your other posts about not doing any detoxing while breastfeeding. And yes, I can almost make a meal out of the supplements that I take. They're probably what's keeping me going.
I'd be sure to do large doses of vit C, to bowel tolerance, maybe 4-10GMs, in divided doses over the day. Selenium binds with circulating mercury to help excrete it safely. Bentonite clay is used by some mamas. I'm not real familiar with it though.

Omega 3 fatty acids.

Pat

I have a blog.
#10 of 24 Old 01-13-2010, 08:46 PM

maybe it's an environmental allergen messing with sleep? or teething?

mama to ds1(2-6-98) & ds2(7-28-09)
#11 of 24 Old 01-14-2010, 03:38 AM

Darn! I was all excited when you said Vancouver, but you're in the other Vancouver I'm in the Washington Vancouver, have a six month old and am going through a lot of the same thing {except Ben does sleep, thank goodness for that}. The not knowing and the guesswork is the hardest part, isn't it? Right now I'm eating apples, potatoes, pears, chicken and not much else. I've only been doing it for almost a week and am utterly miserable. Ben's eczema is clearing up, but none of his other symptoms are going yet.

If you slice potatoes thin, soak in vinegar and sea salt and bake, they taste good and are a nice snack. If you heat applesauce and add a dash of cinnamon and a few bits of sliced banana, it's a nice snack.
#12 of 24 Old 01-14-2010, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd take the easy route... get your baby to the allergist for food allergy patch testing ( it doesn't hurt, just stickers on her back for 48 hours) then you'll hopefully know what foods are causing the reaction, than eliminate that.

familybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gif nut.gifMommy to my amazing 6 yr old dd, we homeschool.gif, and  27 weeks belly.gifpuke.gifand have been sick the whole time so far, grrrrr!!!!!!!

#13 of 24 Old 01-14-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailey's mom View Post
I'd take the easy route... get your baby to the allergist for food allergy patch testing ( it doesn't hurt, just stickers on her back for 48 hours) then you'll hopefully know what foods are causing the reaction, than eliminate that.
That's easy if you have allergies. If you have intolerances, the patch testing isn't always accurate. None of the intolerance testing is THAT accurate, unfortunately. That's why elimination-challenge is still the gold standard.

Are you guys keeping detailed food journals? I still think eliminating corn, gluten, dairy, soy and then rotating foods, possibly in blocks, is the best bet in figuring things out.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#14 of 24 Old 01-14-2010, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Jessielove...I wish we were in the same Vancouver too It is quite miserable to be eating so few things and to not be getting too much sleep at the same time. I told my husband that we're not eating, not sleeping and not having sex...what a life.

I am planning on making some apple chips this week so there is something easy to grab. I have been snacking on sweet potato this week.

Can't do skin test for another few weeks because she had Ranitidine.

I am bringing her to see a homeopath next week as I have read online that a few people have had good results from that. Fingers crossed. I personally don't believe too much in it, but it has done wonders for my blocked duct every time.
#15 of 24 Old 01-14-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielove View Post
Darn! I was all excited when you said Vancouver, but you're in the other Vancouver I'm in the Washington Vancouver, have a six month old and am going through a lot of the same thing {except Ben does sleep, thank goodness for that}. The not knowing and the guesswork is the hardest part, isn't it? Right now I'm eating apples, potatoes, pears, chicken and not much else. I've only been doing it for almost a week and am utterly miserable. Ben's eczema is clearing up, but none of his other symptoms are going yet.

If you slice potatoes thin, soak in vinegar and sea salt and bake, they taste good and are a nice snack. If you heat applesauce and add a dash of cinnamon and a few bits of sliced banana, it's a nice snack.
Jessie!!! Sorry to see you here, but nice to *see* you! Sorry you have a reacting LO, that stinks. If eczema is clearing up, then you're on the right track. If you're not seeing other symptoms clear up (what are they - the mamas here can probably help), then one of the 4 things you're eating is likely the culprit (or something you still have in, like prenatal vitamins, that contains hidden milk/soy/corn). Apples and potatoes are both fairly common intolerances. What I'd do is switch out one at a time for a different food (e.g. potatoes for rice, apples for bananas). Also, get a fat source in there, so your milk supply doesn't tank!

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#16 of 24 Old 01-15-2010, 03:02 AM

What sort of allergy testing did you have?

I certainly would NOT eliminate more foods.

What are you eating?

Not all those who wander are lost 
#17 of 24 Old 01-15-2010, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Jessie!!! Sorry to see you here, but nice to *see* you! Sorry you have a reacting LO, that stinks. If eczema is clearing up, then you're on the right track. If you're not seeing other symptoms clear up (what are they - the mamas here can probably help), then one of the 4 things you're eating is likely the culprit (or something you still have in, like prenatal vitamins, that contains hidden milk/soy/corn). Apples and potatoes are both fairly common intolerances. What I'd do is switch out one at a time for a different food (e.g. potatoes for rice, apples for bananas). Also, get a fat source in there, so your milk supply doesn't tank!
Hi I was being a tad exaggeratory when I said only apples and potatoes ~ I'm eating apples, potatoes, chicken, rice and sweet potatoes. I added in canola oil and so far no changes, so that's good. I needed something more.

My sons symptoms are pretty minor. Gassy, bellyaches, eczema, reflux, "colic". Enough that we know something is off and it's most likely diet related, but not severe.

Bean, are you taking her to the homeopath for EAV testing? A friend was telling me about it and it sounds interesting. I need to call a naturopath down in the city tomorrow.
#18 of 24 Old 01-15-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielove View Post
Hi I was being a tad exaggeratory when I said only apples and potatoes ~ I'm eating apples, potatoes, chicken, rice and sweet potatoes. I added in canola oil and so far no changes, so that's good. I needed something more.

My sons symptoms are pretty minor. Gassy, bellyaches, eczema, reflux, "colic". Enough that we know something is off and it's most likely diet related, but not severe.
That's enough I'd still suspect something else you're eating - could be any of it, but apples would be my first suspect, potatoes next. Can you swap the aples out with something else for a few days?

And I'm glad you got a fat source in, that's huge! Personally, I'd rotate out each food your eating to see if you can find a culprit, then start adding foods back in pretty quickly - that limited a diet can create nutrient deficiencies pretty quickly (ask me how I know ).

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#19 of 24 Old 01-16-2010, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Our craniosacral therapist suggested that I give homeopath a try. She was also the one who suggested that I bring my dd to a naturopath to get tested for food allergies. Of course I got tested b/c dd is too young. I think it was igg and ige tests. The results were very shocking because I had numerous serious allergies that I never knew about and never suspected. Anyway, I trust our therapist so we're going to give homeopathic remedies a try.

Plus I was reading the book "is this your child" written by a MD who uses homeopathic remedies to treat allergies. The book has good ratings on amazon and some of the reviewers reported success with their children using homeopathic remedies (and some other references on other forums as well) so we are going to give it a try. At this point, I am willing to give anything a try especially when it's not too expensive and does not require a lot of commitment.
#20 of 24 Old 01-17-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
At this point, I am willing to give anything a try especially when it's not too expensive and does not require a lot of commitment.
Yeah. Me too.

If only babies were like computers and you could run a scan and print off a simple piece of paper that says "Don't eat/feed your kid THESE:" Unfortunately, it's just not that easy for babies. When they're bigger they can have definitive testing done, but for now we just... guess. And hope for the best.
#21 of 24 Old 01-17-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Plus I was reading the book "is this your child" written by a MD who uses homeopathic remedies to treat allergies. The book has good ratings on amazon and some of the reviewers reported success with their children using homeopathic remedies (and some other references on other forums as well) so we are going to give it a try. At this point, I am willing to give anything a try especially when it's not too expensive and does not require a lot of commitment.
If it's "Is This Your Child?" by Dr. Rapp, she doesn't use homeopathic remedies as far as I remember. She uses dilutions of the allergenic substance. Is that the same thing? That part of work has come under fire for not working, I believe. But the rest of the book was great. That's the elimination diet we used originally (but kept taking out foods until we got to baseline). I've loaned it out a lot too. Some of the stuff in there is amazing.

#22 of 24 Old 01-18-2010, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I've got it all wrong then...it is Dr. Rapp's book.
Either way, we are seeing a homeopath tomorrow. I'll report back on how well that works.
There is an interesting article (http://www.mothering.com/health/mate...ildhood-asthma) on maternal-infant bonding therapy and how that helps with treating asthma (in the child). since I believe there is a link btwn asthma and allergies, I contacted the psychologist mentioned in the article to ask about allergies. He wrote back to say that he thinks it's worth a try (again, I am desperate and am willing to try anything). And even if it doesn't work, it also won't cause any harm if I am more bonded with my babe. So I just left a voicemail for a psychologist in my area asking if he would be interested in trying.
#23 of 24 Old 01-18-2010, 07:43 PM

I have heard of people doing homeopathy for allergies, and acupuncture, I'm just pretty sure that Dr. Rapp's method was giving dilutions of the allergen.

#24 of 24 Old 01-18-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I have heard of people doing homeopathy for allergies, and acupuncture, I'm just pretty sure that Dr. Rapp's method was giving dilutions of the allergen.
Dr. Rapp is MD(H) too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page