Dairy, soy, egg, wheat & peanut free frosting recipe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-10-2010, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son's first bday is in two weeks. I've made this cake recipe successfully. Thank you so much for that post...we LOVE it.

I need a frosting recipe though. I've tried just powdered sugar and water and while it's good, it's not the consistency/texture I was hoping for. I'd love one that is the consistency similar to a buttercream frosting. Any suggestions?
#2 of 13 Old 01-10-2010, 03:29 PM

I have made incredibly tasty frosting with vegan margarine, powdered sugar and almond butter at various ratios. If the soy-free earth balance works for you I think that would work just fine. You can make it pretty thick, if I recall, tough not as thick as buttercream. I guess soy-free shortening would give you a thicker frosting.
#3 of 13 Old 01-10-2010, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a couple different ones on my website: www.kathysrecipebox.com. The coconut milk yogurt one really tastes like buttercream frosting, but it's not something that everyone has laying around. Palm shortening is what I use to make frosting.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#4 of 13 Old 01-10-2010, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizafava View Post
I have made incredibly tasty frosting with vegan margarine, powdered sugar and almond butter at various ratios. If the soy-free earth balance works for you I think that would work just fine. You can make it pretty thick, if I recall, tough not as thick as buttercream. I guess soy-free shortening would give you a thicker frosting.
I haven't found a soy free margarine. Does earth balance have soy oil? I guess I could trial soy oil.

Has anyone tried palm spectrum shortening for frosting?
#5 of 13 Old 01-10-2010, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I have a couple different ones on my website: www.kathysrecipebox.com. The coconut milk yogurt one really tastes like buttercream frosting, but it's not something that everyone has laying around. Palm shortening is what I use to make frosting.
Ooh, I'll check your recipes out (I don't know what I'd do w/o your buckwheat pancake recipe, thank you SO very much!). What kind of palm shortening do you use? I know I've seen Spectrum where we shop.
#6 of 13 Old 01-10-2010, 03:40 PM

I've replaced butter with coconut oil in buttercream icing... Just keep the cake cold so it doesn't get greasy.
#7 of 13 Old 01-10-2010, 04:07 PM

I use spectrum. There was another one at WF next to the Spectrum that I got but I haven't tried yet. It's half palm and half something else.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#8 of 13 Old 01-10-2010, 04:49 PM

Subbing so I don't lose this. I have a cake recipe but not a frosting recipe and a birthday coming up.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#9 of 13 Old 01-10-2010, 06:26 PM

just dealing with what i have in my kitchen, i would make a coconut oil gelatin emulsion and then add sweetener. So, I would dissolve some gelatin in hot water, to make the equivalent volume and texture of an egg (or 2 eggs if I needed alot of frosting). I would melt coconut oil, and have the food processor bowl warm. Whip the gelatin in the food processor, add coconut oil slowly like making a mayonaise. After the emulsion is almost thick, I would add sweetener and vanilla to taste. Too much liquid sweetener, like honey or maple syrup, can break the emulsion. I would refrigerate it until it was a little thicker than I wanted it for spreading.
#10 of 13 Old 01-10-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina617 View Post
I haven't found a soy free margarine. Does earth balance have soy oil? I guess I could trial soy oil.

I've used spectrum palm shortening, I think it works great.

I use a recipe from Bette someone (eta: Hagman! I think that's it), the one who writes Gluten Free Gourmet books.

Roughly (I wing it now): 1/3 c shortening, powdered sugar (maybe 1-1.5 pounds?), 1 tsp vanilla, a pinch of salt, and optional cocoa powder (tastes just fine as white frosting, or you can use other flavorings), plus boiling water to get the consistency right. Go slow with the boiling water, I think I usually use around 1/4 cup, maybe 1/3 cup, but just add a bit at at time.

I've used the same recipe with coconut oil as well if that's the flavor you want, chocolate-coconut is a really nice combination IMO.
#11 of 13 Old 01-10-2010, 08:50 PM

I've taken the lazy way out and used the Cherrybrook Kitchen ready to spread frosting. I found it at Whole Foods.
#12 of 13 Old 01-15-2010, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Kathy, do you think I could just use water instead of vanilla rice milk with your recipe? Would you add extra vanilla? We aren't sure if he can tolerate rice so I've been avoiding it. Thanks!
#13 of 13 Old 01-15-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina617 View Post

Nothing to do with the frosting question...

There is more than 1 version of the Earth Balance. The yellow and white tub is dairy free, but has soy (and there are sticks of that too). Then there is another tub that is also soy free, but it doesn't come in sticks.

I haven't used the Spectrum Palm shortening yet (I'm just getting started in all this), but plan to.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page