dairy allergy - is raw milk ok? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-12-2010, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My 13 month old dd has a dairy allergy (she breaks out in hives). I've been eating dairy (she still gets most of her calories from breastmilk), but am beginning to think that it might be contributing to her many sleep issues.

so i'm taking the plunge and cutting out dairy for a few weeks.

I read somewhere that raw milk is usually ok for people with dairy allergies because pasturization kills the enzymes that help you digest milk.

we get free raw milk from a local farmer and I usually have a cup a day or less - should I cut this out also?

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#2 of 5 Old 01-12-2010, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Raw milk is tolerated by some individuals who are sensitive to pasturized milk. If you're dealing with a true allergy, then raw milk is just as problematic as pasturized.

I suggest that you cut out ALL dairy for a while. Then, if you see improvement, you can trial raw milk and see how well it's tolerated. But a cup of raw milk per day could definitely be enough to keep you from seeing improvements in an otherwise dairy-free diet.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#3 of 5 Old 01-12-2010, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It depends. If she's allergic to one of the proteins, they'll be there no matter if it's pastuerized or not.

Personally, I would cut out dairy completely for both of your for quite awhile before trying anything else.
#4 of 5 Old 01-12-2010, 04:29 PM

I would start by cutting out all dairy for at least a month and then try the raw milk.

A lot of times lactose intolerance isn't triggered by raw milk (lactase is what's killed in processing) but...sometimes rash means it's the proteins in the milk. In which case, even raw milk will trigger the allergic reaction.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#5 of 5 Old 01-12-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisy View Post
My 13 month old dd has a dairy allergy (she breaks out in hives). I've been eating dairy (she still gets most of her calories from breastmilk), but am beginning to think that it might be contributing to her many sleep issues.

so i'm taking the plunge and cutting out dairy for a few weeks.

I read somewhere that raw milk is usually ok for people with dairy allergies because pasturization kills the enzymes that help you digest milk.

we get free raw milk from a local farmer and I usually have a cup a day or less - should I cut this out also?
No. That enzyme would be lactase (can be produced by bacteria in raw milk), which breaks down the milk sugar lactose. This has nothing to do with a milk allergy, and everything to do with lactose intolerance. You should not be eating any dairy in any form if she has an IgE allergy, which hives normally are.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page