dairy allergy - is raw milk ok? - Mothering Forums
Allergies > dairy allergy - is raw milk ok?
bluedaisy's Avatar bluedaisy 05:23 PM 01-12-2010
My 13 month old dd has a dairy allergy (she breaks out in hives). I've been eating dairy (she still gets most of her calories from breastmilk), but am beginning to think that it might be contributing to her many sleep issues.

so i'm taking the plunge and cutting out dairy for a few weeks.

I read somewhere that raw milk is usually ok for people with dairy allergies because pasturization kills the enzymes that help you digest milk.

we get free raw milk from a local farmer and I usually have a cup a day or less - should I cut this out also?

Ruthla's Avatar Ruthla 05:28 PM 01-12-2010
Raw milk is tolerated by some individuals who are sensitive to pasturized milk. If you're dealing with a true allergy, then raw milk is just as problematic as pasturized.

I suggest that you cut out ALL dairy for a while. Then, if you see improvement, you can trial raw milk and see how well it's tolerated. But a cup of raw milk per day could definitely be enough to keep you from seeing improvements in an otherwise dairy-free diet.
Alyantavid's Avatar Alyantavid 05:28 PM 01-12-2010
It depends. If she's allergic to one of the proteins, they'll be there no matter if it's pastuerized or not.

Personally, I would cut out dairy completely for both of your for quite awhile before trying anything else.
AFWife's Avatar AFWife 05:29 PM 01-12-2010
I would start by cutting out all dairy for at least a month and then try the raw milk.

A lot of times lactose intolerance isn't triggered by raw milk (lactase is what's killed in processing) but...sometimes rash means it's the proteins in the milk. In which case, even raw milk will trigger the allergic reaction.
deditus's Avatar deditus 05:31 PM 01-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisy View Post
My 13 month old dd has a dairy allergy (she breaks out in hives). I've been eating dairy (she still gets most of her calories from breastmilk), but am beginning to think that it might be contributing to her many sleep issues.

so i'm taking the plunge and cutting out dairy for a few weeks.

I read somewhere that raw milk is usually ok for people with dairy allergies because pasturization kills the enzymes that help you digest milk.

we get free raw milk from a local farmer and I usually have a cup a day or less - should I cut this out also?
No. That enzyme would be lactase (can be produced by bacteria in raw milk), which breaks down the milk sugar lactose. This has nothing to do with a milk allergy, and everything to do with lactose intolerance. You should not be eating any dairy in any form if she has an IgE allergy, which hives normally are.
Up