More allergy testing?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-12-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My three year-old tested positive this morning for walnut allergy. I suspected walnut, so was not surprised. My oldest was diagnosed at that age with egg and soy allergies, so it does run in the family. We also have a boatload of environmental allergens- dust, cats, tree and grass pollen. Now the allergist wants me to come back in a couple of weeks to test three year-old for environmental stuff (only did foods this morning).

My thought was- I wanted foods tested because I can control that. He is anaphylactic, so we won't have tree nuts in the house anymore. Do I need to know about pollen and animals and things? I know he has some seasonal issues. It was a hard spring for him last year, but I can't help that, can I?

Is there a reason to find out what the environmental triggers are if I'm not thinking of antigen therapy? Could he develop more food allergies if I don't?

Thank you!

Kristin, Mommy to 3 boys : (11,9,5) :

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2010, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Some things you can control. My dd1 has dust/dust mite allergies. She used to have Zyrtec everyday to stop the itchy eyes/sneezing/perpetual cough. After we did the pillow/mattress encasing, changed her comforter to something washable in hot water, removed the stuffed animals from her room, and changed drapes to roman shades, she needs the Zyrtec about once a month. So yes, I'd find out, so that you can avoid some of the things if possible.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 01-12-2010, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply Kathy! We already have pillow and mattress enclosures, and we've gone with wood floors in the bedrooms. I wash with hot water weekly (well, at least every other week ). I've been doing this because my older two have dust issues, so the youngest is already getting that. Do you think it's worth looking for pollens? Would that change what we already do?

Old 01-12-2010, 08:31 PM

Sometimes environmental allergies are worse when methylation pathways don't work well. Supplementing with methyl b12, folate (not folic acid), and sometimes mag/b6 can help lessen the impact of environmental allergies. Vitamin C can sometimes help as well, it lowers blood histamine levels, so your body can be less reactive to the environmental triggers.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Old 01-13-2010, 01:51 AM

We only tested Caleb for foods, dust, and cat. I know he has loads of outdoor allergies and I really can't control that. I don't see the point in testing for things you can't control so I agree with you in that area. He had been negative to cat and dust last time we tested and I suspected since his "seasonal" allergies had converted to year round at the end of last winter we were dealing with indoor now too.

That said, did they test sesame? I think anyone with tree nut anaphylaxis should probably know if they also react to sesame as it's a major cross contaminant and it shares a protein with some tree nuts so the anaphylaxis potential is there. My son was reacting (GI) to sesame cross contamination in products that shared lines with sesame (all crackers, all breads, etc.) and I'm so glad we knew that because he certainly has the potential to go ana with it as well as he's anaphylactic to tree nuts including those that share proteins with sesame.

I know our allergist tests all tree nuts, peanuts, sesame and sunflower when he runs any tree nut so they may have done that for you too. In reading I found out that if a child is ever going to outgrow a tree nut allergy (9%) it will be the child with just one tree nut allergy so I hope they tested them all and it's just walnut for you!

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 01-13-2010, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Rachelle! Yes, he was tested individually for other treenuts, as well as sesame. Every single thing they checked was negative without question except for walnut, which was "off the charts positive". Maybe there is hope he'll outgrow it! Unfortunately, walnuts are probably my favorite thing in the entire world, and I know I ate tons of them while I was pregnant with him and since we've been breastfeeding. This will be hardest on me, I think.

I assume he has issues with dust mites because the rest of us do, and we don't have any pets, so I may just not test environmentals next month. This, coupled with the fact that we need to pay for these tests ourselves until our gigantic deductible is met for the year!

Thank you for all the feedback. I just wanted to make sure his food list wouldn't grow because I was ignoring pollens and things.

User Tag List