I can't stop eating sugar! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-14-2010, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The past few months, I've had constant cravings for anything sweet. I'm honestly starting to feel out of control with the amount of candy and ice cream I've been consuming.

I've also just in the last few months cut gluten, oats, and rice out of my diet.

Does anyone know if sugar cravings are an indicator of anything, and what I could do to remedy it?

Thanks,
Andrea
#2 of 12 Old 01-14-2010, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here are some things that helped me give up sugar during my last pregnancy:

Eat lots of protein--sugar cravings can mean you're low on protein

Cut out refined sugar and high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) completely first--eat maple syrup, honey, fruits and other more natural sugars when you want something sweet...they aren't as addictive. If you can kick the refined sugar, you'll probably find everything else easier to deal with in moderation.

Read labels: refined sugar and HFCS are in an insane amount of things--yogurt, bread, jam, peanut butter, everything processed basically. If you cut out the "hidden" refined sugars it will help you cut the craving. I find that the more sugar I eat, the more I want...so cutting out the hidden sugars helped me immensely (it's easier for me to buy bread/yogurt/etc that doesn't have sugar in it than to pass up a candy bar...and it still cuts down on your sugar intake the same way). You have to cut out "sugar," "cane juice," "cane syrup," "corn syrup," "high fructose corn syrup," etc... All the addictive "fake" stuff.

When you're craving something sweet--grab a piece of fruit (and something high in protein).

Good luck! Sugar is so tough--I'm pretty convinced it's just as addictive as some other drugs out there

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#3 of 12 Old 01-14-2010, 06:07 PM

I am absolutely no help but I'm subbing for ideas.
As much as it sucks and I'm sorry you're struggling, I'm glad I'm not alone.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#4 of 12 Old 01-14-2010, 08:07 PM

The ONLY reason I still don't hork sugar is because it was having obvious bad effects on my autistic nursling.

Things that have helped me survive since I had to pretty much cut gratuitous sugar cold turkey:

1) eat LOTS of protein and fat for breakfast
2) snack often
3) keep the sugar far, far, far out of my house
4) if I do sugar, do it as maple syrup on egg souffle, or whipped cream on pumpkin pie (e.g. protein and fat along with the sugar). That way I don't crash after consuming the sugar
5) get enough sleep - when I'm tired, I used sugar to get functional (I don't do caffeine, so sugar was my energy source). It really made me take care of my adrenal needs much better when I couldn't just turn to sugar
6) take lots of B vitamins, they help with energy
7) found other comfort foods. Sweet potato/squash with lots of butter/dairy/olive oil and salt is one of my faves.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#5 of 12 Old 01-14-2010, 08:27 PM

I have found having green juice in the morning really cuts down my sugar cravings.
Also, nuts help a lot.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#6 of 12 Old 01-14-2010, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, those are all really helpful! But can't sugar craving be due to a yeast problem in the gut or something?
#7 of 12 Old 01-14-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
I have found having green juice in the morning really cuts down my sugar cravings.
Also, nuts help a lot.
Forgot about this... Not green juice but green smoothies helped here while I was doing them. Gotta get back to that.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#8 of 12 Old 01-14-2010, 11:06 PM

For me it was a yeast problem. I would eat so much fruit that I would get very bloated and felt awful but I would keep eating it. I would eat it knowing I would feel awful but still do it. A definite addiction problem. I have heard but not tried yet that taking vitamin c will help with the sugar cravings. I just started a candida diet (3 days so far) so I will be trying that idea soon.

Wife to : DH and Mama to Abigail Rose 3/30/08 :
#9 of 12 Old 01-15-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie_Aya View Post
Thanks, those are all really helpful! But can't sugar craving be due to a yeast problem in the gut or something?
As far as I know (and I'm no expert here!), craving sugar is usually an adrenal issue. Sugar feeds gut yeast, but I don't *think* we crave sugar because of yeast.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#10 of 12 Old 01-15-2010, 11:38 AM

PCOS can cause sugar cravings.

Insulin resistance and diabetes/pre-diabetes can cause it as well.

Perhaps get your blood sugar checked?

Otherwise as a pp said, fat and protein.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#11 of 12 Old 01-15-2010, 12:29 PM

Eat 20 g of high quality protein at each meal.
Add 1 T good fat (coconut oil, lard, ghee, olive oil, tallow, duck fat, bacon grease) to each serving of vegetables (that you are having at every meal, of course!). We eat meat and vegetables for meals, fruit and nuts for snack.
Avocados have been a life saver here. I make a smoothy/pudding/popsicles with 1 ripe banana, 1 avo, 1 T cocoa powder, 1 T raw honey, and enough coconut milk to get it to blend in the blender. I drink mine, freeze some in popsicles for dd.
It is harder when it is so cold here in the winter. I think part of the craving my be just because we need more energy to stay warm (which should come from fat, but the body often craves sugar for it's quick fix). I don't like this damp cold at all.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#12 of 12 Old 01-20-2010, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie_Aya View Post
I don't know if it can be due to a yeast problem, but I wouldn't be surprised if it added to a yeast problem....yeast loooove sugar...

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page