Eczema- sign of allergy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2010, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been dairy- soy and egg free for 5 months while breastfeeding my son. Just last month he got a patch of eczema on his cheek- would this be an allergy to something else in my diet? I haven't changed anything in my diet- so i don't know where this is coming from. Is eczema always a sign of an allergy? My son has been symptom free for 4 months.

Shannon ( MOM to DS)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010, 05:00 PM

subbing.

My 28 month old son, suddenly out of nowhere, has developed a patch of eczema on his thigh. He also has some tiny little bumps on one of his elbows.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
Old 01-14-2010, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
eczema is an allergy/intolerance to something (environmental, contact, food).

Have you changed meds or supplements or anything recently?
Changed detergents? soaps? lotions?
Gotten a pet?
Went to a home with a pet?
Traveled?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 01-17-2010, 02:28 PM

Hello! My son is now 6 yrs old.

He has had eczema off and on since he was an infant. "Lots of kids get eczema. He might grow out of it. Put a mild steroid cream on it when it flares up." is the medical advice I was given.

When he hit pre-school he developed a chronic cough. Doctors said it was "only" an allergy and he was okay. When he hit kindergarten the cough was worse and doctors said it was "only" mild asthma.

We started seeing a Naturopath. She (and now a few other doctors) told me this is common. An allergy may first present as eczema. If it is not addressed it might develop into a chronic cough. If it is still not addressed, it may develop into asthma.

I do not say this to alarm you. Just something to keep in mind if your child develops additional symptoms. We finally found relief with NAET.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:48 PM

Hi! An eczema rash was a clue for us to remove more allergens (also after a period of being symptom free). Most recently, corn. DD had a rash for a month before I figured it out and now she is *very* corn sensitive. We started removing foods when she was 3 weeks old (milk/soy) and now have eliminated the top 8 plus beef, oats and corn.

Best wishes!

Me and DH, parents to:

DD1 (06/09), Twin DD2 and DS1 (born 3/12- 6 weeks early due to IUGR)

Old 01-29-2010, 08:02 PM

I'm really at a loss here...my son's "BUMPS' are spreading...he had TONS On his hands mostly between his fingers...they hurt when i touch them and he is physically scared to wash his hands

What can i do?????? I have putting putting tons of calendula cream on every day but they are spreading and getting wrose and occasionally his knuckles will bleed!

helllllp

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
Old 01-29-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
I'm really at a loss here...my son's "BUMPS' are spreading...he had TONS On his hands mostly between his fingers...they hurt when i touch them and he is physically scared to wash his hands

What can i do?????? I have putting putting tons of calendula cream on every day but they are spreading and getting wrose and occasionally his knuckles will bleed!

helllllp
If the calendula isn't working it's time to seek an alternative. I have eczema on my hands and when it really flares up it ispainful. I'm not a fan of steroid creams but sometimes there are necessary to get it under control while you try to determine if there is a cause. (Doesn't appear to be a diet related cause for mine but certain skin/bath products, a change in weather and getting raw potatoes on the skin can all make it flare.)

I would treat it now before it gets infected. Once it's under control there are lots of non steroid treatments you can try to prevent flare ups.

User Tag List