eczema that doesn't itch??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this eczema? My 2yo dd has had a rash from her low waist down to her ankles. Its mild to moderate in terms of redness. Part of it is a rough dry skin that sometimes if I'm looking really really close seems to have tiny scabs though I've never seemed to notice any breaking of the skin or oozing. The other part are red patches, behind the knees and on the inner thighs and front of thighs near the pantyline crease. There is rough red skin around her low waist where her pantline is and more recently on her bottom. Now, for the first time, I see a couple round light red, dry patches on each of her arms. It used to just be on her lower body. And none of these patches or the rough red skin seems to be itchy to her.
Not having much experience with rashes, my dh and I began to wonder if this is eczema or some other skin fungal thing.
Does this fit the picture of eczema?
#2 of 10 Old 01-21-2010, 11:08 AM

When my dd2 had eczema (from corn), she never itched it, and it wasn't oozy; it was red and looked like it was all chafed. I think eczema has a pretty wide range of what it looks like. When my DH had it on his arm, it looked dry and was really itchy.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 10 Old 01-22-2010, 06:08 PM

sounds like eczema to me. my son's eczema also did not itch. it also can move around the body showing up in various places, though the commonest places seem to be in the skin folds, behind the ears, knees, elbows, etc.
#4 of 10 Old 01-22-2010, 06:29 PM

This sounds like what my DD had exactly. Everyone thought it sounded like Eczema, but it was an allergy/sensitivity to Tide.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#5 of 10 Old 01-26-2010, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
This sounds like what my DD had exactly. Everyone thought it sounded like Eczema, but it was an allergy/sensitivity to Tide.
You know, I was wondering if maybe it was something like that or a sensitivity to the material itself. I try to have her in mostly cotton. And I've switched to a hypoallergenic clothes detergent. What detergent did you end up using?
#6 of 10 Old 01-26-2010, 04:26 PM

Well, I switched her back to what I had used on her as a newborn, which is the Tide Pure Essentials. I think the active ingredient in it is baking soda and it's very gentle. Within 3 days the redness was gone and it was just scaly/dry, and within another 2 it was perfect again. Good luck!

#7 of 10 Old 02-04-2010, 12:31 PM

acu-mom- my son has that over most of his body - doesn't itch & looks like small bumps of dry skin. it has been spreading over the last 3 months or so. our ped. said it is mild eczema.

sk8ermaiden - your dd's eczema was gone in 5 days after figuring out the trigger?

#8 of 10 Old 02-04-2010, 03:19 PM

Yes, and in that sense, I don't actually think it was actually eczema as much as an allergy or sensitivity.

#9 of 10 Old 02-07-2010, 05:49 PM

Just an FYI, any sort of skin rash or bumps can be food related. For my son, those little bumps start surfacing when we have corn in our diet. Same for me, I had them on my arms for years and it wasn't until we removed corn that they went away. Most pediatricians are not knowledgeable about food sensitivities and their symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by half-pigeon View Post
acu-mom- my son has that over most of his body - doesn't itch & looks like small bumps of dry skin. it has been spreading over the last 3 months or so. our ped. said it is mild eczema.

sk8ermaiden - your dd's eczema was gone in 5 days after figuring out the trigger?
#10 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 05:12 PM

Dear Accumom,

I know it's been 3 years, but what did the problem turn out to be? The description sounds like what I have now, and different drs have different ideas.

Thank you....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page