Low milk supply while on low Salicylates diet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2010, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GFDFSFCF Oats free and vegetarian diet has now impacted my milk supply. I have been having a good supply inspite of DS being a fussy and distracted nurser. But, now it looks like my supply has dwindled and I pray I am not told that I need to pump to build my supply as DS wants to be held all the time.

I see many of galactagogue Herbs are high in Sals..what can I take to build my supply. I am thinking of Domperidone..is it OK while nursing an infant with lots of sensitivities?

It will be great to know if any mama experienced similar issues..TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2010, 04:13 AM

Try adding safe fats to your diet, LOTS of fat - that was the thing that made the most difference for my supply (while eating with very similar restrictions to yours). You could also try milk thistle - my sals sensitive DS takes a lot of milk thistle directly, and it doesn't cause a sals reaction for him. He takes it for liver support, but it's also a galactogogue.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Old 01-24-2010, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Try adding safe fats to your diet, LOTS of fat - that was the thing that made the most difference for my supply (while eating with very similar restrictions to yours). You could also try milk thistle - my sals sensitive DS takes a lot of milk thistle directly, and it doesn't cause a sals reaction for him. He takes it for liver support, but it's also a galactogogue.

Mamafish9, I was hoping you see this post and reply

Can you please also suggest what message oil I can use for my baby? I currently use coconut/almond which are high in sals..

What baby foods can I start? He is 9 months and weights a little more than 16 lbs with no teeth and no interest in solids . I want to keep grains away as much as possible for some time. I started him a couple of weeks back on sweet potatoes, pears and then saw constipation and return of mucus-y poops . It was this reaction and posts by JaneS on my previous thread which made be think about Sals. He also has sleep issues and is more gassy which I take kefir/fermented veggies and many probiotics. I am going to try HLC Intensive by Pharmax now (Prev tried Klair, Baby life, Metagenics, Blue Bonnet etc)

I have started adding ghee now and hoping DS does well on it. I avoid flax as it showed up as high reactivity in my IgG test and something is not right with fish oil/CLO supplementation with us as my son's spit ups smell like them when I have it. He does not spit up on normal days..

Trying to get more info on this subject..so, any input will be helpful
Old 01-24-2010, 01:09 PM

Black seed oil (nigella sativa) increases mother's milk and improves the immune system. http://www.amazingherbs.com/arblacseedoi.html

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Black seed oil (nigella sativa) increases mother's milk and improves the immune system. http://www.amazingherbs.com/arblacseedoi.html

Pat
I have been looking to see salicylate content for this after I saw this mentioned in another thread. Anyone know?

OP, I have had success with Shatavari for milk supply...never could verify whether it was high sals but it doesn't seem to bother my baby. Things like nettles and fenugreek make him miserable. For me it is about getting enough calories to maintain supply. There are also a bunch of homeopathic remedies for milk supply depending on what your condition is.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny65 View Post
Can you please also suggest what message oil I can use for my baby? I currently use coconut/almond which are high in sals..

What baby foods can I start? He is 9 months and weights a little more than 16 lbs with no teeth and no interest in solids . I want to keep grains away as much as possible for some time. I started him a couple of weeks back on sweet potatoes, pears and then saw constipation and return of mucus-y poops . It was this reaction and posts by JaneS on my previous thread which made be think about Sals. He also has sleep issues and is more gassy which I take kefir/fermented veggies and many probiotics. I am going to try HLC Intensive by Pharmax now (Prev tried Klair, Baby life, Metagenics, Blue Bonnet etc)
Not sure on massage oil, sorry. Maybe some lemon essence in canola oil? Cocoa butter is also low sals.

I'd say if your babe isn't interested in solids, there is no hurry. My little guy really didn't eat much until 18mo, and he's plenty big. Work on your milk supply and gut healing first. Maybe try a little meat broth - starches can be really hard to digest, sometimes meat and fats work better as first foods.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel

User Tag List