Leukotriene blockers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-24-2010, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Moving the conversation over here so that I don't monopolize the chat thread anymore.

Tell me what you know about leukotriene blockers, specifically for food allergies, NOT asthma. (Singulair is what was recommended by our allergist.)

Quote:
Doing research for you, Jess (I'll keep adding to this post as I find links):

http://www.raysahelian.com/leukotriene.html Says fish oil is a leukotrine inhibitor, and herbs such as boswellia, pygeum, butterbur. That last one is interesting, DH tried that for migraines in a form sold as petadolex. Boswellia is a Ayurvedic plant.

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/lox.htm This one, down towards the bottom, says decrease dietary intake of PUFAs (polyunsaturated fatty acids), in particular, more omega 3s, less omega 6s. Olive oil has high oleanolic acid, also good. There is a nice table down the page of omega 3 and 6s in foods, and then of fish with high omega 3 content (I seem to remember some fish had never tested positive for you, not sure how that matches up with this list). This sounds more like a long term approach than a fast one though.

Tables 5 & 6, in this same document, have a list of natural substances that can inhibit important enzymes in producing leukotrienes. Looks like a pretty comprehensive list. Ideally you'd want to try at least one substance from each table (they block two different enzymes). There's one substance called ursolic acid (a component of some Chinese herbs), that is in both tables, and one of the stronger inhibitors. It comes in apples, sage, cranberries, oregano, basil, peppermint - any of those safe? Oh, and tea catechins are good, can you drink tea?
Thanks Deb. You know what's interesting (I just glanced at that link, didn't read the whole thing), is that I keep seeing that Singulair is used for asthma and allergic rhinitis. And one of the diagnosis codes that the allergist put on our sheet was allergic rhinitis, and I am REALLY confused as to why. She has absolutely no symptoms of rhinitis (what I know about it anyway.)

For the second part- I have been drinking tea daily, DD has an occasional sip. Fruit is no good, but I definitely want to start using more herbs. Will go check out that list...

Quote:
CS - *I* have used Singulair. I started taking it back in ...2001, I think, when it was quite a new drug on the market. I was having asthma attacks and getting wheezy in the middle of the night, just from getting up at 2am to pee. I had asthma as a child, but it had largely gone away in my 20s, and then in my early 30s, it was back again. I finally went to my family doc and started Singulair. To my knowledge, I did not experience side effects. It did help tremendously with my wheezing. I finally went off it a few years later, tapering down to 1 dose a day (I think the typical dose was twice a day), then less. Finally stopped taking it...2005 maybe? A combination of (1) figuring out I was probably allergic to cats; and (2) acupuncture, perhaps, let me stop taking it.

I will be reading up on Singulair, as our family doctor mentions it each time DS is in for wheezing. We are trying to eliminate his triggers, and we're managing it quite well with a humidifier. But, we may decide to do the Singulair. DH doesn't like giving drugs, but he is much, much more in line with Western medicine, doesn't agree with supplements or anything alternative, and, although he cooks (primarily whole foods), he isn't into figuring nutrition out with me. So, if DS's wheezing isn't controlled well in the future, we may very well find ourselves trying Singulair for him within a year or so.

And interesting that mamafish says fish oil is a leukotrine inhibitor, as I had an intuition that DS should get more fish oil.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#2 of 7 Old 01-25-2010, 12:02 AM

I am glad you are starting this because I think it could help quite a few of us.

I don't have much to add except that during our intake with our new family doctor, she was talking about Singulair for my oldest.

(ok - first need to say that I don't like her a lot, she often gets info wrong here and there.)

She mentioned that while she was in med school the students were really excited about singulair (I am pretty sure that is what she said) because they really thought that it would be a major contributor to food allergies. She then went on to talk about histamine. Which is why when you first mentioned this, I assumed that Singulair was a histamine blocker. So, they (the students) began to realize that food allergies were much more complicated than just histamine related (or lukatreine related) so the endless discussion was stopped.

Oh wait a second, she was pushing it for my youngest, because of all of his allergies. She was also pushing NAET.

So what am I saying? I have a semi crazy doctor who doesn't get all of her information right, but I did go with the idea of histamine and it was a great puzzle piece for us.

sorry not much help

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#3 of 7 Old 01-25-2010, 12:58 AM

The second link is about leukotrines as they relate to inflammation - whether it's inflammation from arthritis, autoimmune disease, asthma, allergies... I'm thinking it might be useful clues for you because your DD seems to have almost an autoimmune reaction to food, if that makes sense. So while asthma and allergic rhinitis is where this has been researched the best, eicosanoids can be produced in lots of places, I think, including the gut. And the process of turning them off is the same as trying to turn off the allergic rhinitis (same underlying issue, just different symptoms for different people).

At least that's what I get from my 20 minutes of research . I thought the list of natural remedies that can be used to block the same enzymes Singulair tries to block was pretty wide ranging, so I was hopeful you could find something on that list your DD might tolerate - I know you had quite a few herbs and stuff that didn't test positive.

So from that list, boswellia seems pretty widely available, there are several choices at iherb.com. Guessing an extract will work better for you than a food?

http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals...blets/969?at=0 (I'll leave it to you to guess on brands, I'm not good at making sure to avoid corn and soy).

And quercetin is on both lists, is that a supp you have tried? I looked up some of the others, and those two seem like the easiest to source, at reasonable cost.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#4 of 7 Old 01-25-2010, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Deb- I will look at this more tomorrow, when my brain is (hopefully) functioning a little better.

We are doing a C + quercetin supplement right now.

#5 of 7 Old 01-29-2010, 11:16 PM

My daughter is taking Singulair, a leukotriene inhibitor for eosinophilic esophagitis. EE is caused by non-IgE allergies and sensitivities, most of which are usually food-related, though there are environmental allergies at play as well.

Taking huge amounts of GLA will boost your natural leukotriene inhibitors, as will taking flaxseed oil and fish oil. The GLA is key, though, as well as reducing consumption of junk fats.

It's not like taking Singulair means DD can eat the foods to which she has an allergy. Not at all. It has dampened her worst EE symptoms, specifically episodes of choking sensations. EE isn't like regular food allergies or even sensitivities, the patient may have food "triggers" that are extremely difficult to diagnose and environmental allergies make it worse as well. We don't know why the Singulair helps.

Singulair apparently is notorious for causing psychological problems with kids. My DD was on a high dose (10 mg./day, twice the normal pediatric dosage) and having attacks of rage, anxiety and depression. It was so bad that we had to lower her to the regular pediatric dosage of 5 mg./day.
#6 of 7 Old 01-29-2010, 11:22 PM

An adult friend of ours with significant food and environmental allergies (her symptoms are eczema mainly--the worst eczema I have ever seen--though she thinks our son's eczema is worse, but I think it's just because it breaks her heart to see it on such a little guy) is taking singulair and having wonderful results.

We're going to talk to the doctor at our son's four year appointment.

We're nervous about the psychological side effects, though, because he is very sensitive to claritin, zyrtec and allegra and has serious psych/behavioral issues from them all.
#7 of 7 Old 01-30-2010, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liqzierda View Post
My daughter is taking Singulair, a leukotriene inhibitor for eosinophilic esophagitis. EE is caused by non-IgE allergies and sensitivities, most of which are usually food-related, though there are environmental allergies at play as well.

Taking huge amounts of GLA will boost your natural leukotriene inhibitors, as will taking flaxseed oil and fish oil. The GLA is key, though, as well as reducing consumption of junk fats.

It's not like taking Singulair means DD can eat the foods to which she has an allergy. Not at all. It has dampened her worst EE symptoms, specifically episodes of choking sensations. EE isn't like regular food allergies or even sensitivities, the patient may have food "triggers" that are extremely difficult to diagnose and environmental allergies make it worse as well. We don't know why the Singulair helps.

Singulair apparently is notorious for causing psychological problems with kids. My DD was on a high dose (10 mg./day, twice the normal pediatric dosage) and having attacks of rage, anxiety and depression. It was so bad that we had to lower her to the regular pediatric dosage of 5 mg./day.
Thanks for sharing your story- that's really great information. The allergist made it seem like it might totally clear up DD's food reactions, which made me skeptical. Plus, hearing real life experiences with side effects makes me feel better about declining the meds.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page