Heinz ketchup? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-25-2010, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know about the natural flavors?

Is it safe for a dairy and soy allergy and Tree nut/peanut allergy?

I contacted Heinz, but they refused to tell me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-25-2010, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
milk, soy, peanut, and tree nut are 4 of the top 8 allergens. How can they refuse to tell you if any of those are in there?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 6 Old 01-25-2010, 11:20 PM

I'm completely shocked they would refuse. In fact, by law they have to label those allergies. The only trouble I've had is when asking about cross contamination/shared lines and even then only with one company (Hain/ Celestial). Call back and talk to another rep. If that fails (I don't expect it to fail) ask for a supervisor.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#4 of 6 Old 01-27-2010, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

I requested the information through their website. They do label as required by law, but soybean oil is not required to be labeled. Nor is the cross contamination question.

They told me, I could have my doctor write a letter, but otherwise the information is proprietary.

Here is the body of their note:
Quote:
Because we understand how difficult it is for consumers with food allergies to find 'safe' processed foods, we clearly list the FDA Top 8 Major Allergens on our ingredient panels if they are included in our products.

The FDA specifies the Top 8 Major Allergens are as follows: Soy; Wheat; Peanuts; Eggs; Dairy; Tree Nuts; Shellfish & Crustaceans; and Fish.

Currently, these ingredients are listed specifically within our ingredient statements. They are also called out in bold print underneath the ingredient statement. Older packaging will only reflect these allergens within the ingredient statement itself (rather than reiterating the information in bold print).

Because recipes are not patentable, the terms 'natural flavorings' and 'spices' refers to dried spices which are not disclosed on the label for proprietary reasons. Unfortunately, if you are allergic to an ingredient other than those specifically declared, we are not able to disclose whether your ingredient is being used in the recipe, and therefore suggest that you avoid using this product.

However, if you would like to have your physician fax us a request on their letterhead with a contact phone number detailing the specific ingredient(s) in question. They can fax that request to: (412) 237-5291.

Thank you for your interest in Heinz products.
I asked in my question if soy or dairy is included in the "natural flavorings" and if the ketchup is run on the same line or manufactured in the same facility as soy, dairy, peanuts or tree nuts.

Maybe I will try call them. I just worry mostly about the soybean oil - if it is in the natural flavorings.
#5 of 6 Old 01-27-2010, 05:33 PM

I've actually gotten the same line from some other companies, too. They always say, "well, if it was in there it would be listed" but that is not always true. DH actually blogged about it, even http://blog.wassupy.com/2009/09/food-allergies-fun.html

The companies we had the most trouble with were Target (trying to figure out what was in their infant's vitamin drops that made DD sick) and Progresso.

My biggest problem with this is that we still haven't figured out all of the foods she reacts to, so even if I wanted to go to the trouble of having our doctor write a letter, it wouldn't help because there isn't a specific list :P

Sarah, loving wife to Michael (9/6/03), SAHM to my big girl Maya "Monkey" Grace (10/5/07) and my baby girl Charlotte "Bugsy" Mae (7/2/09) : :
#6 of 6 Old 01-28-2010, 02:46 AM

Wow. That's as irritating as Hain/Celestial.

I'd make my own ketchup rather than mess with that company.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page