5 mo and eczema - what else can I do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2010, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I'm reading through eczema threads and really wondering what else I can do for my 5 mo DD who is EBF and not vaxed.

I eliminated all grains, dairy and eggs when I was pregnant due to feeling sick after eating them and have maintained that (for the most part) since her birth. I don't eat soy. I tried some teff recently, but her poops turned green so... no more teff. I'm now cutting out chocolate, nuts, apples and potatoes (foods I was eating more of). So...that leaves me eating fruits that are not apples, all vegs but white potatoes, coconut oil, milk and flakes for some extra fats, flax seeds, cod liver oil, fish and meats. I drink water and an herbal infusion daily that I make - contains nettle, red raspberry leaf, chamomile, elderberries, rosehips.

I'm adding extra CLO and ground flax meal to my diet. I also take Vit D and probiotics. Her only supplement is my milk.

We use soap nuts (not a nut a fruit) for laundry. She is cloth diapered and doesn't have eczema in the diaper area so I don't suspect the soap nuts are a cause.

I put apricot oil on her at least twice a day. Have experiemented with lanolin and shea butter (but concerned about that because its a nut). Also have put some calendula ointment on some patches (has petroluem though).

If anything it seems her skin is getting worse. What else can I do?

I appreciate any help because I know going to a ped will result in the suggestion to get some hydrocortisone cream - which I feel like doing!! (but am still wanting another way )

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you say "for the most part" when eliminating foods. Sometimes (most of the time, I think) it's all or nothing. Have you tried eliminating corn? That's a biggie for eczema. And check all your supplements as well. If it waxes and wanes, maybe a very detailed food journal would help? Do you have any pets?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 01-26-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply! I was just thinking it's time to food journal. I have cut out corn, but I'm realizing I'm going to have to get very strict.

No pets, and we try to keep the place free of dust!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:12 PM

so my understanding of eczema is that the liver is having a hard time keeping up with detoxing all it perceived toxins.

What if you do things to help support your liver? sodium ascorbate, milk thistle, others will have other ideas.

How are your own allergies? I ask because once I stopped nursing my almost 4 year old, he stopped having eczema. He was responding to my own allergic load. I am NOT suggesting you stop nursing. Maybe you can think about what your own needs are.

I am discovering that I have issues with histamine and sals. Both of those reactions can cause eczema.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Ok...I hadn't thought about that. My own allergies seem to be fine. I'm allergic to cats, dust mites, pollen. I'm not aware of having food intolence/allergies. We don't have a cat and I'm not having problems with pollen. We try to keep the house clean.

But I can add some SA and other things...thanks!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:03 AM

Also consider the things you put on her skin...like the apricot oil. That could cause a reaction as well.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
Old 01-30-2010, 02:29 AM

And to add on to mammo2sammo's post, I'd look especially at methylation and sulfation detox pathways. Meaning, are you getting enough nutrients? How are you on folate (not folic acid), B12, magnesium, B6, and molybdenum (found primarily in legumes and other nitrogen fixing plants)? Do beets turn your pee pink? If so, you may not have enough stomach acid, and so malabsorption, especially of B12 is likely.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Old 02-03-2010, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
And to add on to mammo2sammo's post, I'd look especially at methylation and sulfation detox pathways. Meaning, are you getting enough nutrients? How are you on folate (not folic acid), B12, magnesium, B6, and molybdenum (found primarily in legumes and other nitrogen fixing plants)? Do beets turn your pee pink? If so, you may not have enough stomach acid, and so malabsorption, especially of B12 is likely.
Thank you - you've certainly given me some things to think about. I appreciate you taking the time!
K

User Tag List