Chocolate hearts and Epi-pens: February Chat - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1122 Old 02-02-2010, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sounds like some hard times around here. sorry mamas.

My max is still having a hard time. I want my sweet max back. sigh. too mad low magnesium means refusing to take supplements because supplements will probably help! I can get them in sometimes not a lot.

I think dinner will be fried fish and oatmeal cookies. nutritious.

Chlobo - how is your daughter doing? We had really good luck with homeopathy for croup. We also had my son breathe in steam from rosemary water, we also did caster oil packs.

Croup scares me, most times DS gets it we need to rush to the er. last time his lips turned bluish. This past time, we didn't need to go because of homeopathy.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#62 of 1122 Old 02-02-2010, 10:05 PM

Fried fish and oatmeal cookies sounds yummy! I think I'll thaw some halibut... I hope you get your sweet Max back soon Amy.

Well, heck. Today Taslyn's skin and attitude are stellar. I've tested her for everything I can think of to pinpoint last nights reaction and the previous nights... and all I can come up with is honey... which I think she's only had via breastmilk from my kombucha??? Guess we'll see what happens next. Interesting though, since the apis seems to be helpful...

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#63 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 12:02 AM

I guess we're in the "we're sick" club. I'm coughing (especially when I lay down). Now G has it too (and was horsing around on the couch today and fell off backwards on her head on the hardwood floor). DH went to bed early tonight because he wasn't feeling well either (sore throat and couldn't get warm even though I had both woodstoves going when he got home). DD1 seems the healthiest at the moment, since DS is still in the midst of his unknown reaction. What a fun bunch we all are. Where's that island when we need it?

When we watched American Idol tonight I tried to allergen-free (in my mind) all the food commercials. There was some sandwich wrap and I thought... ooh, I could do that with a tortilla tomorrow... and pizza... and I thought about the pine nut ricotta (by the way, the last few times I've done this, I've put some chickpeas in the food processor too; it smoothes it out a little, and makes the ridiculously expensive pine nuts go farther). How weird am I?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#64 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 12:18 AM

I agree that fried fish and oatmeal cookies sounds like a fantastic dinner.

Glad to hear T is feeling better today! Reactions suck.

Sorry to hear about everyone else's stressful/sick day.

I'm home from our appointment with a $100 worth of supps... let's see if I actually give DD any, or if I chicken out.

We got (for behavior/sleep issues): 5-HTP, melatonin, and GABA (all Thorne.) Who has used these? Tell me your experience! I am so afraid I'm going to give them before bed, and instead of helping her drift into a peaceful sleep, she will react to them and be up all night.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#65 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 12:33 AM

We've done all three here, CS - DH and I, not DS (DS has done melatonin). 5-htp helped me be less cranky when I suspect I was quite run down on nutrients about 6 months after DD was born. Gaba and melatonin do nothing for me. Gaba makes DH really emotional (depressed, etc). Melatonin helps DS fall asleep, but not stay asleep.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#66 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 12:41 AM

I've done 5-HTP and melatonin, not GABA. The 5-HTP makes me really sleepy and the melatonin puts Taslyn to sleep (hard) for about 4 hours. Too big a dose is.not.good. unless you want to be UP. Good luck whatever you decide.

After a lovely day with a rested child, I saw the telltale rash start to erupt on T's arms and her behavior started to spiral upward. And this after crystal testing everything all day and feeling 100% safe that what we were ingesting was safe. So now I know that she's either reacting to something environmental or its a food chemical. I have to think its histamines gone wild.

I whisked her upstairs and tested a bunch of homeopathics... she got lycopodium, apis, cantharis, urtica urens, ledum, and C plus her cell salts and sulfur and chamomilla. I think we caught it in time. She's calmed so much that I have hope anyway. I do not like to have to bust out benedryl. Tomorrow I'll pick up some histaminum and some more mag for her to try.

And I guess we'll have to try a low histamine diet? I'll have to go research, but I think its going to impact our diet HUGELY.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#67 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 01:24 AM

Yup, B6 sleep magic is gone. And dd has red dots on her chin and upper lip. And pink cheeks. And isn't sleeping well. And isn't pooping well. I think I'm passing the food reigns for her to dh. The biggest issue is going to be him not believing that something is actually a reaction worth caring about. It'll be interesting to see how long this lasts...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#68 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
And I guess we'll have to try a low histamine diet? I'll have to go research, but I think its going to impact our diet HUGELY.
Have you tried histamine nutrients? Or do you want to do food as well?

#69 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 01:31 AM

By histamine nutrients do you mean C-B6-B12-folate? If so, we're doing it. What do you mean by do food as well?

#70 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
By histamine nutrients do you mean C-B6-B12-folate? If so, we're doing it. What do you mean by do food as well?
Lisa, how much C is T doing? (Because yeah, you don't want to know what's high in histamines - raw dairy of any form, and any ferments, including cheese...). It took about 2000mg a day to get DS' histamine reactions to raw dairy under control, with methyl B12 if we noticed actual symptoms (the C brings down blood histamine levels, so it's preventative). I think b6 is useful too, although I ignored that one, since he gets plenty.

#71 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 02:01 AM

Well, no worries about DD reacting to the new supps... she won't take any of them. Thought it was the gastromycin that was freaking her out, because it's gray (I mixed them with some smashed up banana). Tried mixing just the others in some CLO (which she also loves) and she took one tiny bite and refused the rest. This, after daily begging for "more medicine?" (whenever she sees me taking my vitamins, or when I give her some D.)

So I guess I just spent $100 on supps that she won't take. ...sigh...

Tomorrow I have to get up and start reading through the stool test results, figure out what's what.

Lisa- what dose of melatonin was too much for T? Just curious if I actually ever convince DD to take this stuff.

#72 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 02:04 AM

CS, I give DS 1/2 a 2.5mg tablet of melatonin, I *think* Lisa was using a whole 2.5mg dose for T.

#73 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
CS, I give DS 1/2 a 2.5mg tablet of melatonin, I *think* Lisa was using a whole 2.5mg dose for T.
Ok- I'm using the Thorne, which is 1mg, so that makes me feel better.

#74 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 08:52 AM

So CS, what did the new doctor say?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#75 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 10:50 AM

so I had another night without sleep. And I just don't have the mental reserves to deal with both of my kids home when all they do is fight. And all my dd wants to do is watch TV. She literally did not move from the couch yesterday except when I took her to the doctor.

I am just too worn out to deal with this today.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#76 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 11:31 AM

Come down and visit Carren, I'll take care of you guys! I'll cook for you and let you sleep (except we all have colds too, so I don't know if you want any new germs).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#77 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Chlobo, wish some of us were closer.

CS, I give the kids melatonin, they didn't have any odd reactions, I started them at 1mg. When I took it the first night or two, I had very vivid dreams. Not bad, but vivid--maybe I hadn't been remembering my dreams for a long time? Within 2 or 3 days, that stopped. DS now gets 3mg, we had a physically stressful time and I was wondering if he was starting to need more, and yep. Haven't tried 5-htp or gaba.

I guess it's been a time for many of us to feel off. I was in bed before 7pm last night, I'm rested now, but, sigh, DH didn't give DS his 4am dose of dmsa. So this round is done. I can't be too upset, but it's not the first time, and this is our ticket out of 80 zillion supplement land. Oh well, next week, start again.
#78 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 12:12 PM

And a big batch of lentil soup was left out on the counter all night. Bye-bye lunches.

Must work on attitude. Must work on attitude. Must work on attitude.
#79 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 01:09 PM

Last night, dd fell asleep on her own again downstairs, and slept there until almost 2am!!!
And I had trouble falling asleep up here, and woke up twice . I'm thinking it's the serotonin/melatonin conversion for us now, and guessing that with my recent digestion crash, I've finally burned through my awesome b12 stores. Midnight b12 for me, and I slept better. We'll see what happens tonight! The fun part is that I was guessing that for dd before bed, then applying it to myself in the middle of the night... Her face has been getting really blotchy every time she drinks water (she tends to chug it, I think it's a low oxygen thing). Curious if that'll fade too if I can get b12 into her...

And yeah, cs, go update your thread! For hiding nasty supps, how about mashed banana, cocoa powder, honey to make a puddingof sorts, and the cocoa hides the taste?

#80 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 02:13 PM

Okay, so I am sick of dd2s hands getting red and puffy and keep hearing histamine here - is that a histamine reaction? I have photos uploaded on facebook if anyone wants to friend me and look. Haven't figured out photos here yet.

Also, I am interested in a natural *gentle* chelator - does anyone have any ideas? And what do I take to make sure the stuff is excreted properly that is being chelated?

Hugs to everyone, sounds like Feb is not off to a great start.

Karen
#81 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 02:25 PM

Eeek. I ran out of Mg last night. I thought I had another bottle but I searched everywhere. Just when I got my new Mo, to do the Zn + Mo + Mg again. I feel like I'm back in earth science. My sinuses are killing me. I'm going to go make some chocolate chip cookies and eat half the dough. My version of drowning my sorrows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyscoutmom View Post
Okay, so I am sick of dd2s hands getting red and puffy and keep hearing histamine here - is that a histamine reaction? I have photos uploaded on facebook if anyone wants to friend me and look. Haven't figured out photos here yet.
PM me with your real name. I'll friend you and take a look.

#82 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Lisa- what dose of melatonin was too much for T? Just curious if I actually ever convince DD to take this stuff.
It seems to differ according to the day. .625 was never enough. 1.25 is not usually enough. Sometimes 2.5 is too much.

I lost your quote, Deb, about the C and B-12... T is getting 5000mcg of B12 and 1000mg of C (or more if I can get it in her). I think that weaning is definitely impacting her B and C vitamins because she's not getting much through breastmilk anymore. Maybe that and the flu a couple of weeks ago has really impacted her. So we'll keep working on it. At least we know how to control the reaction now... we just have to figure out how to avoid it!

#83 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
So CS, what did the new doctor say?
I will update my thread as soon as I can get a break from the screaming tantrums over here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
And yeah, cs, go update your thread! For hiding nasty supps, how about mashed banana, cocoa powder, honey to make a puddingof sorts, and the cocoa hides the taste?
Tried it. She won't have anything to do with it. Getting frustrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyscoutmom View Post
Also, I am interested in a natural *gentle* chelator - does anyone have any ideas? And what do I take to make sure the stuff is excreted properly that is being chelated?

Karen
Have you already done a hair test to determine if you even have anything to chelate, or are you just assuming you do based on symptoms? (Sorry if you've already told us that... hard to keep everyone straight. )

#84 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 04:02 PM

Karen, how is your LO at taking supps? We're finding zeolite an excellent chelator here, but I wouldn't have wanted to be using it without DS swallowing capsules easily and willingly. Without that, there is *no way* I could have gotten enough supps into him to support even a very slow chelation process.

Andy Cutler says you can live without the supps, you just get worse side effects - but IMO, the side effects would be unbearable without the supps. In the early days of my DS' chelation, I was getting 200mg milk thistle, 300mg mag glycinate, 1/2 a Thorne B complex, and 20mg P5P (active b6) into him a day. That's only about 1/2 the total supps he was getting, but it covers the worst tasting ones . And he's nursing, so I pumped more than that through me. Before he was swallowing capsules, I struggled to get a fraction of that in him.

And, getting good supps in place is part of helping the body start to detox itself, so I think it's a good first step.

#85 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 04:37 PM

Hi, I did a hair test but it was the wrong hair test (did it before I found this place). She is high in cadnium and little high in arsenic. Nothing else tested high but I guess that doesn't mean anything. I did have some emergency dental work during my pg. And took an antibiotic. I worry about the cadnium.

Karen
#86 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 05:41 PM

Karen, I'm using dmsa and ala because I feel they're safest and enough is known about them. Natural? Not so much (not at all), but effective? Yeah.

I really think you need supportive supps in place first, DS showed improvement even just with vit/min supps. I gave them to the kids for a long time in about 2 T of black cherry juice, 3 "drinks" per day. Had to slowly build up, adding in more and more stuff, but it was doable. And any chelator will drop metals, they're not magic (despite some of the marketing out there ), so you really want those supps in place to support the extra work of those newly mobilized metals. If you can't find a helpful HCP, the list of supps at the autism mercury yahoo group is a starting point, and they recommend starting at very low dosages. DMSA is available OTC, I buy it online.
#87 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 06:13 PM

My sweet max is traveling back to me.
(or maybe it is too many oatmeal cookies.)

He still hasn't poop in the toilet for 2 weeks. Every day we get a poop accident and almost every night he wets the bed. This is highly unusual. I keep on thinking that this is still an illness/nutritional imbalance thing and not a behavioral thing. DH is getting frustrated.
We are finding that his allergic reactions/nutritional imbalances

Chlobo - I am around on Friday. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

#88 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
My sweet max is traveling back to me.
(or maybe it is too many oatmeal cookies.)

He still hasn't poop in the toilet for 2 weeks. Every day we get a poop accident and almost every night he wets the bed. This is highly unusual. I keep on thinking that this is still an illness/nutritional imbalance thing and not a behavioral thing. DH is getting frustrated.
We are finding that his allergic reactions/nutritional imbalances

Chlobo - I am around on Friday. Let me know if there is anything I can do.
So glad you're getting improvement (whether it's cookies or not!). You didn't finish one of those sentences.... For my DS, wetting the bed is a reaction (only for certain foods though). And DD2 who'd been trained for a year, suddenly wet the bed for 3 nights when we trialed her on beef. So it could definitely be a reaction.

#89 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 06:46 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, my sweet Max has left the building.

He was taking a bath and I heard him say "mom, I can't poop in the tub, I need to get out." I ran in to help him onto the toilet. Poop was smeared on the tub, with a plastic butterfly perched on top of a pile. ye gads.

sigh

Kathy - I'm not sure if his happy mood is from the cookies or if he is starting to get better. I think I am frequently unclear.

#90 of 1122 Old 02-03-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen, my sweet Max has left the building.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page