Chocolate hearts and Epi-pens: February Chat - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 1122 Old 02-04-2010, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn.mama View Post
Kathy, I would use antimonium tartaricum and guaifensin.
Are these homeopathic and I find them... where? I have to stay off the general board. I want to tell it like it is which isn't always nice. And with so little sleep last night, I just want to be direct. I just wrote a couple responses and then deleted them. DD2 is just a whiny little puddle on my lap most of the time today. Her fever is up and still coughing. I got tea (mint) down her and bone broth with a little rice. We're having turkey bone broth tonight for dinner (to ward it off from the rest of us) with turkey meatballs. I hope she lets me get a little sleep tonight, but I'm not counting on it.

I've tried ginger tea on her before Jacq. I think I'll put some bay leaves and thyme in the soup tonight. Maybe that'll help. Mmm... if I had any coconut milk left I'd make ginger ice cream... I wonder what else I could put ginger in that she'd eat.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#122 of 1122 Old 02-04-2010, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Are these homeopathic and I find them... where? I have to stay off the general board. I want to tell it like it is which isn't always nice. And with so little sleep last night, I just want to be direct.
LOL - we're sick here too - and I just came to the same conclusion .

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#123 of 1122 Old 02-04-2010, 06:25 PM

Antimonium tartaricum is a homeopathic available at HFS or herbspro.com. Guaifensin is a herbal cough syrup ingredient... we buy from the natural food section at the regular grocery.

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#124 of 1122 Old 02-04-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I've tried ginger tea on her before Jacq. I think I'll put some bay leaves and thyme in the soup tonight. Maybe that'll help. Mmm... if I had any coconut milk left I'd make ginger ice cream... I wonder what else I could put ginger in that she'd eat.
Ginger cookies/gingerbread?

I didn't sleep last night, though dh and dd both did. I think I haven't gotten a decent night's sleep in a week. Just fell asleep on the couch for... 10 minutes? So count me in the feeling awful group, even though nobody here is sick. I think it's pantothenic acid (lack of) and I really just want it to be tonight so I can sleep well and wake up rested!

:yawning

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#125 of 1122 Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 PM

I was up all night too, WhoMe, with an unsettled stomach and just undone, I guess. I've been pretty grouchy today. Kids cousins are here, so at least I didn't have to do school, tho I still have to cook for everyone (and eat--if I eat, I feel strange, but if I don't eat? Eek! Preggo tummy...)

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#126 of 1122 Old 02-04-2010, 09:33 PM

My almost 7 year old went to the dentist today. He had brand new, not yet 3 month old molars. All of his baby teeth are great. He has never had a cavity in them. He has two very small cavities in his new adult teeth. I am dismayed. I would think that with all of our current nutritional work his brand new teeth would be strong enough to not make cavities. I don't believe the cavities are caused from poor brushing. It has got to be nutritional. I do feel confident that we will be able to heal them, with the help of cell salts, nutrition and mi paste (now that we can do minimal amounts of dairy). sigh.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#127 of 1122 Old 02-04-2010, 10:00 PM

Maybe tomorrow I can get up to the hfs in the next town and see if they have either of those. I think I'm succumbing to dye free tylenol tonight even though it's got some corn in it. Her temp has been hovering at 103 and she's just sleeping for the last couple hours (waking up to cough in between). During the day when it was just 101, she was still drinking and playing, and eating her broth. Now she's just laying on me or the couch. I'm also going to put some Vicks on her chest (don't tell me that's bad since it's my childhood remedy; love the smell). I want her to get a little sleep tonight. I'm pulling out the couch downstairs so that I can be comfy. I can't take another night scrunched up in her bed. My hips were killing me last night. And I got my Mg shipment today (while I was worrying at the bus stop that someone kidnapped DS because the bus was 5 minutes late and I thought I missed it). The UPS man stopped next to my car to give me the package and I was ecstatic! I'm a Mg addict!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#128 of 1122 Old 02-04-2010, 11:15 PM

My goodness there are alot of sick folks right now... I hope everyone feels better soon!

Taslyn got 325 mg of mag directly today!!!!!! This is the first I've been able to get any into her orally!

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#129 of 1122 Old 02-04-2010, 11:35 PM

Is this a new thing? not welcoming a new person on the board? I have never seen this before and I've been here for a few yrs. I'm shocked. Nice to see how welcome and how much support a new person can get on this sub-forum.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#130 of 1122 Old 02-05-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post
Is this a new thing? not welcoming a new person on the board? I have never seen this before and I've been here for a few yrs. I'm shocked. Nice to see how welcome and how much support a new person can get on this sub-forum.
hmmm. no it is quite common for the busy mamas on this board to be welcoming and try to answer questions from newbies. But, what I noticed from reading the past two pages is that many of the really wonderful mamas here are they themselves having a hard time - many with illnesses in the house. The thread has been a bit slow with little input from each other, rather just explaining our own struggles.

I tend to do more naval gazing then many other the moms here, rather than spending time answering questions that I don't have answers to. A rather selfish act, attempting to do my own surviving when times are tough. I hear the frustration and panic in your above comment and in your original comments, but I don't appreciate the tone. If you spent more time on here recently and in the other threads you would understand how willing these smarts mamas are in using their brain power and life experiences to answer questions. There is a lot of love and passion here, and I am just discovering that my mama bear in me comes out in situations outside of my boys.

I just read your original comment. We also don't eat what you can't, except we do limited sugar (we have done up to 25 plus restrictions). I have one suggestion for you, something that helped me a lot when out diet became more and more limited.
sit down with a piece of paper and write down:
3 safe breakfasts
4 safe lunches
5 safe snacks
6 safe dinners

attach it to your fridge and refer to it when you feel panicked. You might need to think outside the box -maybe no sandwiches for lunch, but rice crackers or rice cakes can be a replacement.
Potatoes are a wonderful gluten replacement for us.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#131 of 1122 Old 02-05-2010, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
HI everyone.

I'm back on this board. I was here when it first started but since then thought that I had all the food allergies under control. Well, dd3 still shows symptoms that indicated allergies so I'm taking a step farther and we are seeing a naturopath. She recommends that dd3 is wheat, dairy, corn, soy and sugar free for the next while. She's to take probiotics(stronger that what I used to give her), sulphur and Omega oil. Can you guess what's hard to get rid of??

So i'm back for the support and ideas on how and what to feed dd3.
Somehow in the haze of yesterday, I totally missed your post, Sandrine. I'm sorry! My only excuse is that I've been both ill from the flu and having a hypo episode of Hashimoto's.
I'm guessing that you're dealing with some yeast issues. My question is: do you have amalgam fillings?
We're not corn, sugar nor soy free here. Soy light but not free (still). Other than sugar, though, I think Kathy avoids all that. You might check out her blog at kathysrecipebox.com

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#132 of 1122 Old 02-05-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
I tend to do more naval gazing then many other the moms here, rather than spending time answering questions that I don't have answers to. A rather selfish act, attempting to do my own surviving when times are tough. I hear the frustration and panic in your above comment and in your original comments, but I don't appreciate the tone.

Maybe those of us that didn't answer didn't really HAVE any answers for you, because we're also flailing in the sea of "wth do I feed my kid?!"

Also- this is a chat thread... so many people just pop in to ramble about their day, complain about new problems, etc... not necessarily looking for answers, more to just chat with people who get it. Not saying that you're not welcome to post questions in the chat thread (because there are certainly plenty of those here too), but you might get more answers if you started a thread for yourself.

Welcome.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#133 of 1122 Old 02-05-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
HI everyone.

I'm back on this board. I was here when it first started but since then thought that I had all the food allergies under control. Well, dd3 still shows symptoms that indicated allergies so I'm taking a step farther and we are seeing a naturopath. She recommends that dd3 is wheat, dairy, corn, soy and sugar free for the next while. She's to take probiotics(stronger that what I used to give her), sulphur and Omega oil. Can you guess what's hard to get rid of??

Quote:
I'm not sure what you'd hope to gain by posting that, but no one intentionally ignored you.

The chat thread is a place where a smaller group of people gather to talk about all things allergy/detox/gut/immune related. Anyone is welcome, I'm just saying that not everyone in the Allergies sub-forum reads the chat threads. You are very welcome here, but you might also consider posting in the Allergies forum if you want ideas on specific recipes or things to eat based on your special restrictions. There will be more people to read it there, is all I'm saying, and you'd likely get more responses. And when someone's post goes unnoticed, people just *gently* give their post a bump, because maybe there wasn't really anyone who saw it that had a response at that moment. This is the internet.

I'm sorry you felt ousted, but a lot of the mamas on the chat thread here have sick little ones right now. But the mamas here are incredibly kind, strong, wise, smart, intelligent, compassionate, endlessly patient, and very brave to share all they do here. It's been quite a journey we've been on the last couple of years here together. If you want to step in with an open mind you would find a wealth of information and support. I would suggest going back and reading previous chat threads if you are interested in getting a start on how a lot of mamas here are addressing allergies and intolerances, through supporting detox/methylation, reducing inflammation, supplementing with nutrients, addressing metals issues, and more. It's a lot to take in at once.

As for your post, we didn't eat wheat, dairy, corn, soy, or sugar either for a year. We have now added back in butter and the very rare slice of raw milk cheese every now and then. We still don't eat any of the other things you mentioned, and a lot more actually. I find that it is easiest when I think about what we *can* eat not what we can't. M2S's idea above is great, to come up with safe meals you can eat and write them down and rotate them. It also helps to think of food preparation just in terms of whole foods, instead of trying to come up with recipes. Like, just bake a chicken, steam some broccoli, cook a pot of rice, and that's the meal, and don't try to cook elaborate things right now. We eat whole foods. Meat, veggies, fruit, nuts healthy fats. If you are just eliminating wheat and not all grains, there are a ton of options out there for you.

If you tell us specifically what you're struggling with in terms of food, we can probably help give some ideas. Is it snacks? Breakfast? Packable lunches?
#134 of 1122 Old 02-05-2010, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Well.
Just re-read cs's newest thread and realized I posted something there that I thought I was posting here! How embarassing! Sorry, CS! I promise, if you ever go to marriage counselling, you're welcome to hijack any thread I may have with updates.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#135 of 1122 Old 02-05-2010, 03:22 AM

lol- I figured that's what you did. I don't care. Hijack away!!

#136 of 1122 Old 02-05-2010, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Well.
Just re-read cs's newest thread and realized I posted something there that I thought I was posting here! How embarassing! Sorry, CS! I promise, if you ever go to marriage counselling, you're welcome to hijack any thread I may have with updates.
That thread is almost as long as chat, so no surprise you got them mixed up .

OK, DS is finally asleep, and I need to go too. I've upped his probiotics bigtime - I read on Andy Cutler that something in the 100-150 billion range spread over the day is good. And added s. boullardi. His high ammonia symptoms aren't going away, and that suggests whatever we killed off, it wasn't the clostridia (or enough of it). Waiting for the Pharmax stuff I ordered to show up...

And in case anyone else is as probiotics dumb as I was, apparently the best time to give them is right after a meal. That is when stomach acid is the least, so more of the probiotics survive the stomach to do good work in the gut. Pharmax says for theirs, 50% survive an empty stomach, 90% survive at the end of a meal. So basically, it almost halves the effectiveness of probiotics to take them on an empty stomach or before your food.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#137 of 1122 Old 02-05-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
And in case anyone else is as probiotics dumb as I was, apparently the best time to give them is right after a meal. That is when stomach acid is the least, so more of the probiotics survive the stomach to do good work in the gut. Pharmax says for theirs, 50% survive an empty stomach, 90% survive at the end of a meal. So basically, it almost halves the effectiveness of probiotics to take them on an empty stomach or before your food.

Good to know about probiotics timing, thanks for sharing. I'm getting a couple of different strains into DS now to help with the abx and I want to maximize their effectiveness for sure

Sandrine - I don't post here frequently, although I've been around for a while I usually just lurk
We are gluten, dairy, soy corn free (apples & carrots are still causing issues too actually) coconut & goat milk are a maybe.
There is an allergen-free recipe thread where everyone posts their really great recipes. Maybe you can get some ideas there.
Bulk bake/cook a bunch of safe meals that you can freeze (muffins, cookies, casseroles, meatballs etc.) That way when you are feeling overwhelmed and stuck for ideas you can just pull out anything.
Starting your own thread is a great idea - many posts get lost in here - not on purpose. Like others have mentioned we are all feeling overwhelmed in varying degrees depending on the day and how our kids are feeling - you are not the only one struggling.

Hope all the sick little ones are getting better DS doesn't have funky pee overnight anymore...the abx was the right decions
#138 of 1122 Old 02-05-2010, 10:09 AM

DD2's fever broke last night, and 4am she was awake and wanted soup! Then she said she wanted to go up and get a puzzle from her room. Then she got up and got dressed (tshirt and shorts; it's 15F out there today). So I guess she's feeling better. She still has a horrible cough and coughing fits where she can't seem to stop, so I think I'm still going to the hfs to get some of the recommended things. And I got some sleep last night (5 hours, so better than the night before). I'm not so grouchy today!

Quote:
HI everyone.

Did naturopath say just wheat or all gluten?
My whole ebook I'm writing is dairy, gluten, soy, corn free (but it does have sugar). And a lot of my recipes are free of those since 3 in the family are free of those. We do have sugar, usually maple syrup or palm sugar though. But that's mostly in desserts, not in main dishes. How old is your dd3? What kinds of things does she eat now that we could figure out subs for? My kids are 4yo and 9yo but the've been eating this way for a while. We still eat well, though I do have to make everything ourselves. Have you already looked up all the "other" names for those things? Corn is the hardest since it's not a top-8 allergen so it doesn't have to be called out. Citric acid seems to be everywhere and mostly from corn. It's also in baking powder, iodized salt, etc. I'd guess corn is the hardest to get rid of, but you probably meant sugar.

I second the starting your own thread idea. Keep everything in one place. These chat threads become huge and are very hard to sort through when you're looking for something.

#139 of 1122 Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 AM

Can anyone remind me what I might be needing if I am having bad carb cravings? Does that just mean adrenal stuff?
#140 of 1122 Old 02-05-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
That thread is almost as long as chat, so no surprise you got them mixed up .

OK, DS is finally asleep, and I need to go too. I've upped his probiotics bigtime - I read on Andy Cutler that something in the 100-150 billion range spread over the day is good. And added s. boullardi. His high ammonia symptoms aren't going away, and that suggests whatever we killed off, it wasn't the clostridia (or enough of it). Waiting for the Pharmax stuff I ordered to show up...

What were you killing the clostridia with? That was on DD's results as well.

I'm debating about when to give DD probiotics... Her gastromycin is supposed to be taken with meals. The Pharmax Mindlinx says that you can take it at the same time as garlic products and something else(?), but 4 hours apart from antibiotics. Which would be pretty difficult, because then we're on both an empty stomach AND almost to our next meal. We don't really have many options for snacks (I really need to figure that out- she's starting to need snacks during the day), otherwise I could give them with a snack between meals.... wwyd?

#141 of 1122 Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I'm debating about when to give DD probiotics... Her gastromycin is supposed to be taken with meals. The Pharmax Mindlinx says that you can take it at the same time as garlic products and something else(?), but 4 hours apart from antibiotics. Which would be pretty difficult, because then we're on both an empty stomach AND almost to our next meal. We don't really have many options for snacks (I really need to figure that out- she's starting to need snacks during the day), otherwise I could give them with a snack between meals.... wwyd?
Is the gastromycin the abx? How many times a day is it taken?
How often does she take the probiotic?
Is there a way to stagger them?

#142 of 1122 Old 02-05-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Is the gastromycin the abx? How many times a day is it taken?
How often does she take the probiotic?
Is there a way to stagger them?
It's not abx, but it's doing the same thing- it has GSE in it. I have no idea how often to give the probiotic, but I think ideally she would get some after each dose of the gastromycin. Kill some off, add some new ones. I just don't know how to do that stagger, with both needing food and spaced out timing.

#143 of 1122 Old 02-05-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
Can anyone remind me what I might be needing if I am having bad carb cravings? Does that just mean adrenal stuff?
The classic one is low serotonin, but if there are blood sugar swings too, adrenals might be likely. Dd's been a little carb nut lately, and what seemed to snap her out of it was a day out of the house with only good food options and loads of b12. She was already on folate, zinc, biotin, b6...

Yay, pantothenic acid!! Yay sleep!! Now how to get dd down before midnight... (with no nap)

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#144 of 1122 Old 02-05-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
It's not abx, but it's doing the same thing- it has GSE in it. I have no idea how often to give the probiotic, but I think ideally she would get some after each dose of the gastromycin. Kill some off, add some new ones. I just don't know how to do that stagger, with both needing food and spaced out timing.
Well technically breastmilk is food, so can you give her some of one of them during the night too?

8am - breakfast - abx-ish stuff
12 noon - lunch - probiotic
4pm - early dinner - abx-ish stuff
8pm - before bed snack - probiotic
somewhere in the middle of the night - something

If neither says how often to take... wouldn't that work? We only do the probiotic, and it's only once a day. When I was doing the abx that I was on, it was only once a day, then I'd do the Abx support probiotic opposite it. So I don't know...

#145 of 1122 Old 02-05-2010, 02:09 PM

I was just coming back to post that! That I could just nurse her when I gave the probiotics. Great minds think alike.

We have to do the gastromycin 3x/day, with each meal, so I'll just do the pbx in between meals and before bed.

#146 of 1122 Old 02-05-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I've read that it depends on where you want the probiotics to work. If the primary purposes is to aid digestion then you take it with meals. If you want it to reach the lower intestinal tract, then take it between meals with lots of water. See under "Dosage": http://www.customprobiotics.com/about_probiotics.htm
#147 of 1122 Old 02-05-2010, 02:40 PM

I have been wondering about probiotics. I give them to dd2 in a bottle at night. It is usually 1 to 2 hours after she has had dinner.

Is it okay to mix it in her bottle? Is there a better way to give them to her?

Karen
#148 of 1122 Old 02-05-2010, 03:55 PM

I'm going to post this in several different threads on Salicylates and Interstitial Cystitis today but I want to put this here to publically thank Pat and Her Wondrous Epsom Salts

I might have OD'd on whey protein recently (non heated, non denatured etc. but still not good for me and my mercury toxicity!) and was experiencing some upsetting symptoms like my hands falling asleep and dry scratchy eyes. Apparently whey can move mercury around but not help to get rid of it. So after both Pat and my favorite WAPF dentist recommend Epsom salts I went whole hog on them. Not only did my symptoms reverse but something else happened:

Quote:
I have had a very interesting few weeks...

After Pat told me about the sulfates in epsom salts being superior to MSM sulfur, especially for a mercury toxic person, I've been doing baths almost every day. And really loading up on them... I worked up to 5 cups in a bath.

Lunch at my local Thai food restaurant eating my favorites: pineapple curried rice, golden triangles with hot pepper sauce and ginger duck would usually cause me bladder twinges (I think my intersitital cystitis was exacerbated by salicylates). Since figuring this out, and improving my detox pathways, I regularly eat salicylates without issue. But if I feel symptoms, I also know when and what to back off of and how to eat to calm them down.

Sooooo.... knowing what to expect I figured I'd just deal with the urgency and twinges for a couple of days b/c I really wanted my Thai food dammit BUT I felt no pains at all yesterday!

I didn't notice anything after lunch (sx usually appear after a couple hours) so I even I pushed the envelope with some tea with honey that night. These can be common triggers as well, since they are both very high in sals. My bladder is calm and happy!!

I haven't been doing epsom salts with DS b/c he has his bath at night and they jack him up. Maybe I should be trying for morning baths... ?!?!
#149 of 1122 Old 02-05-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
Chromium. I believe 1000mcg is the dose in studies comparing its effectiveness to Metformin, the insulin sensitivity drug for PCOS patients. I like Jarrow GTF Chromium.
#150 of 1122 Old 02-05-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
My almost 7 year old went to the dentist today. He had brand new, not yet 3 month old molars. All of his baby teeth are great. He has never had a cavity in them. He has two very small cavities in his new adult teeth. I am dismayed. I would think that with all of our current nutritional work his brand new teeth would be strong enough to not make cavities. I don't believe the cavities are caused from poor brushing. It has got to be nutritional. I do feel confident that we will be able to heal them, with the help of cell salts, nutrition and mi paste (now that we can do minimal amounts of dairy). sigh.
I would highly recommend Green Pasture's Butter Oil for the vitamin K2. I'm not sure I would bother with the MI Paste, you need to leave it on the teeth for a while ... isn't it like 30 mins? and that would be hard for a kiddo. What's the form of cal and mag in cell salts? Phosphorus is also extremely important for teeth. Are you doing HVCLO? Have you seen the Curing Cavities with Nutrition thread?

Watching glycemic index is another rule too. Not b/c the sugar is physically on the teeth, but spiking blood sugar ruins your body ph and sets up the body to draw minerals out of the teeth.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page