Chocolate hearts and Epi-pens: February Chat - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Really? Already? Muahahaha. I got a jump on you!
That's right! Month 2 of 2010 is here, guys and gals! Welcome to the second chat thread of the year!

We've been exploring oxalates recently, along with our usual detox pathways discussion and day-to-day soap opera drama. (Oh wait, that's just me. )

Last month's chat here.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#2 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 03:17 AM

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#3 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 03:31 AM

Holy cow. February already.

Love the title.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#4 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 08:45 AM

So how do I get DS to sleep *more*. He goes to sleep ok at night but only sleeps about 10 hrs and the last 2 are restless. Then, if he sleeps more than an hour during the day he won't sleep as well at night. What's the fix for that?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#5 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 09:17 AM

Mg before bed?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#6 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
I'm interested too...(on the vit D).

Chlobo, that's hard. I ended up weaning dd2 earlier than planned cuz of thrush--horrid, bleeding, pussing stuff. Ick for dd.

JR and Riley hope ya'll get better soon!

I've been "collecting, processing, and organizing" my homeschool stuff. (The correct way to do things according to David Allen, lol. (My dh's hero). 3 bags of trash, 2 bags of thrift store stuff. Everything whittled down to one dresser (minus games and books). :j oy
I REALLY need to do this. We have a lot of this kind of stuff, but we really do use it! I need to get on the stick though, we are so disorganized here right now. Where are you going to store the games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
It's to test nickel content - if it sticks, it's low nickel, if it falls off it's probably high nickel.
Thank you! So, we want it to stick then, right?

Does it matter if you test it on the inside or the outside of the pan/pot? Because aren't some pots made of one thing on the inside but then have something else on the outside to conduct heat better? Does it only matter what's on the inside?
#7 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
whoMe, is B6 one of those things that you need to make sure you are also getting something else along with it? I am confused about which supps need to go together. We have mostly been doing diet and homeopathy and have had huge wonderful improvements over the past year, but I feel like now I want to really figure out the nutrient layer now. So part of me thinks I should introduce one at a time, to see what makes a difference. but then aren't there some things that you need certain other complementary things to go along with it? Like haven't people said that they took one supp, but it didn't help because they actually also needed some additional thing with it? Or am I making this more complicated than it needs to be?
I use Thorne's B Complex 6 (high in B6) for dd and open the capsule and dump some into mango juice - it hides the gross taste fine.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#8 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
I use Thorne's B Complex 6 (high in B6) for dd and open the capsule and dump some into mango juice - it hides the gross taste fine.
Thanks! About what weight or age is your DD and how much of the capsule do you give? Do you do it daily?
#9 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 01:46 PM

I think lithium is really helping my oldest. He seems more even and getting to sleep isn't as drama filled. sigh of great relief.

Our foray into chelating with zeolite has been pretty intense. It whipped Max's butt with major mag depletion. We stopped the two of us for now, when Max is back to his normal self we will try again very slowly. I will do the same for myself.

Hello Feb!

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#10 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 01:50 PM

M2S, I found DMSA to be relatively mild and quite helpful. I've never tried zeolite, so I can't compare with my kids, but a well-rounded set of vit/min supps plus DMSA is a good thing for us. I was very resistant, for a long time, to DMSA with the kids, even though I'd taken it myself without incident, it was helpful and easy for me. But now that I've tried it, I've seen good improvements for both kids. And with their digestion getting more sensitive after the holidays and without probiotics for so long, it's a good choice for us now.
#11 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
So how do I get DS to sleep *more*. He goes to sleep ok at night but only sleeps about 10 hrs and the last 2 are restless. Then, if he sleeps more than an hour during the day he won't sleep as well at night. What's the fix for that?
Not sure if this would work for you, but my dd2 tends to be a night owl, but lately, I've noticed if I get her into bed in between 7-7:30 she sleeps so much better and LONGER too. I think it's the No Cry Sleep Solution that talks about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
I REALLY need to do this. We have a lot of this kind of stuff, but we really do use it! I need to get on the stick though, we are so disorganized here right now. Where are you going to store the games?
I went and bought lots of different sized clear containers with lids and organized my drawers by subject--so anything art related in one, math, reading, ect. I labeled EVERYTHING with my label gun thing (what ARE they called, anyway?)
My books are already organized on shelves by age. But games...I packed away some that I wanted to keep but that were for older kids, adults, ect. and also thrifted quite a few that I thought we'd play all the time and never did like cranium and malarky. Card games went in plastic containers in the dresser and boxed games are stacked neatly on top of the kids closet. In my dream house, I will have built ins for all this stuff! Luckily, the education materials I like best are books, which are easily organized and look nice out in the open!
The kitchen is my next frontier...

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#12 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks! About what weight or age is your DD and how much of the capsule do you give? Do you do it daily?
She's 3.5, weighs 30lbs, I give about 1/10th of the high B6 complex daily and 1/5th of the regular Thorne B complex. I just kind of started with a tiny bit and worked my way up to where I saw improvement, maybe she could use more but this seems to be working for now.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#13 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

6 weeks til St Patrick's day. That's right, I'm counting down. I need 2 weeks to corn my beef, after all!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#14 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 05:45 PM

JR, that's funny, I remember talking about that last year. It's been a year! Yikes.

Got my pills today! Woo-hoo!

I'm counting down the weeks til April 14. I decided to be bold, I sent an email to a few people I know to tell them I was making a Treasure Map this year, this is what they are, is anyone else interested? I figured the worst outcome would be total silence, no responses at all. So far, one person said she does them and she thinks doing it together is a great idea. Not counting on any other responses, but that was a pleasant surprise.
#15 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Are you still using zeolite? What helped us with this is middle of the night dosing - basically, by the time early morning comes, the zeolite is out of their system but the metals are still circulating, creating detox symptoms (which in our case were low mag = trouble sleeping!). The same can happen if he runs out of mag overnight - it took 2 months or so supping DS with mag before his stores were good enough that he didn't get deficient every night.

Quote:
Does it matter if you test it on the inside or the outside of the pan/pot? Because aren't some pots made of one thing on the inside but then have something else on the outside to conduct heat better? Does it only matter what's on the inside?
Yup, test the inside.

Quote:
Another data point - DS, 2.5 and 28lbs, used to get 1/2 a Thorne B capsule a day and extra P5P - now he gets 1/6 of a B capsule a day and a little extra B6 (his B needs have really come down, but he gets lots of kefir and cultured raw butter now, both of which have lots of Bs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
I think lithium is really helping my oldest. He seems more even and getting to sleep isn't as drama filled. sigh of great relief.

Our foray into chelating with zeolite has been pretty intense. It whipped Max's butt with major mag depletion. We stopped the two of us for now, when Max is back to his normal self we will try again very slowly. I will do the same for myself.

Hello Feb!
Cool on the lithium. I'd try lower doses of the zeolite - it's pulling arsenic which is causing the mag depletion. DMSA doesn't do much for arsenic, I don't think (we may use it later for lead if that doesn't come out with the zeolite). ALA does, but it requires every 3 hours dosing, tastes nasty, and tends to cause gut/yeast issues, so I was pretty happy when zeolite worked for the arsenic.

And dosing every few hours with the zeolite will help with the low mag symptoms (the problem is that once his system is empty of zeolite, but still has circulating arsenic, THAT'S when the low mag symptoms are worst). For DS, that means every 4 hours dosing, might be different for you guys. But for us, the first 3-4 rounds we did, the low mag symptoms were fairly intense (DS stopped pooping by day 2 each time). After that, it got better fairly quickly.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#16 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
6 weeks til St Patrick's day. That's right, I'm counting down. I need 2 weeks to corn my beef, after all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I'm counting down the weeks til April 14.

I'm due right after St Patrick's Day. And the 14th is my mom's birthday. You two are messing with my head!

#17 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:

I'm due right after St Patrick's Day. And the 14th is my mom's birthday. You two are messing with my head!
If you have it the 16th, s/he can share a birthday with my dd2!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#18 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I still have the extra one I made last year and froze. Look, I'm actually more organized than you for something! Finally!

#19 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Cool on the lithium. I'd try lower doses of the zeolite - it's pulling arsenic which is causing the mag depletion. DMSA doesn't do much for arsenic, I don't think (we may use it later for lead if that doesn't come out with the zeolite). ALA does, but it requires every 3 hours dosing, tastes nasty, and tends to cause gut/yeast issues, so I was pretty happy when zeolite worked for the arsenic.
I must admit, DMSA tastes and smells far worse than ALA. I put cinnamon in the applesauce just to make sure the odor doesn't scare the kids.
#20 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
If you have it the 16th, s/he can share a birthday with my dd2!
Or the 15th and share with me! I'm almost 35. Wow. Sorta funny--I'm hoping to consider TTC by the end of this year, and even though I'll be 35, 36 by the time potential kiddo is born, I think it'll be my healthiest pregnancy. It's a weird world we live in.
#21 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 06:32 PM

So I've been reading the sals/hists thread and totally confusing myself. Seriously, (to me) dd2 could be either. Sigh. Unless...she has no mood issues at all. Could that help?
And in that thread there was a discussion on chromium. I asked this there: Is it safe for use during pregnancy? And which form? I think my blood sugar could use some reprieves.
I've been experimenting with millet for breakfast and my WHOLE FAMILY likes it!!!(ie DH).
I've been soaking it for 24 hrs and then cooking it and adding a can of coconut milk and 1/3 c. of honey, cinnamon and raisins to taste. Yum. It doesn't give me any sugar highs/lows. Yeah! I guess millet has a pretty complete protein which I think helps.

So now to find it in bulk.
Does anyone use emergenC? I've been using them again for a few days and am feeling really good. (on top of my multi).

Kathy, someone was raving about your sugar cookie recipe and I got all excited and looked it up--only to find it uses flour! Despair...they sound so good! (okay, the dough does...)

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#22 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Kathy, you're funny. I really don't get why you all think I'm organized. I'm about as far from it as anyone can get- which is why I talk about it so much! I'm trying SO hard to get there. Like I said, I used to be organized but then I moved in with DH and that all went out the window. Was that really 5 years ago? Yikes! Anyway, when I moved in with DH I was *too* organized and didn't deal well with interruptions to my schedule (to say the least). Now I'm totally disorganized and deal terribly with pretty much everything! I'm trying to find some happy medium, where I'm at least somewhat organized (for my sanity) and still capable of dealing with anything, iykwim. In highschool, I was the friend whom you had to be careful where you stepped in their room, but could find anything in 3 seconds flat. Unfortunately, when you start living with other people, things get moved around without your help/knowledge so that didn't last.

Yes, it was almost a year ago that the chat thread started. February 7th was the first one. It's here, if anyone gets bored (hah) and feels like checking it out. Happy Anniversary, Chat thread!

And I still say the 21st of March, Shannon! It's a great day to have a baby.

We're still sick here. Have an appointment this afternoon with the doctor to get swabbed for strep. I've been taking ibuprofen for 4 days now (I think?) so I can speak and eat and DH has started with similar symptoms now.

#23 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Are you still using zeolite? What helped us with this is middle of the night dosing - basically, by the time early morning comes, the zeolite is out of their system but the metals are still circulating, creating detox symptoms (which in our case were low mag = trouble sleeping!). The same can happen if he runs out of mag overnight - it took 2 months or so supping DS with mag before his stores were good enough that he didn't get deficient every night.
We've never used zeolite. I"m too chicken. However, doesn't mean we're not all mag starved. I just have no idea how to get it into my 2.5 yr old.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#24 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 10:33 PM

Ugh. After trying (and failing) for 3 hours this afternoon to get DD down for a nap, she just now fell asleep on me while nursing. This is going to be a fantastic night.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#25 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
We've never used zeolite. I"m too chicken. However, doesn't mean we're not all mag starved. I just have no idea how to get it into my 2.5 yr old.
Natural Calm "lemonade"!!

#26 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
I've been experimenting with millet for breakfast and my WHOLE FAMILY likes it!!!(ie DH).
I've been soaking it for 24 hrs and then cooking it and adding a can of coconut milk and 1/3 c. of honey, cinnamon and raisins to taste. Yum. It doesn't give me any sugar highs/lows. Yeah! I guess millet has a pretty complete protein which I think helps.
We've been making millet porridge for a couple of months, and it's one of ds's favorites. I don't soak it first though... Do you soak it in water? What does that do for it? Ours is coconut milk, water, vanilla, cinnamon, and maple syrup, so it sounds similar. I wonder if I could get him to eat raisins in it? How much water do you soak it in?

Quote:
Kathy, someone was raving about your sugar cookie recipe and I got all excited and looked it up--only to find it uses flour! Despair...they sound so good! (okay, the dough does...)
Sorry. I have a sugar cookie recipe somewhere that is gluten-free, maybe it's in the recipe thread and not on my website? That wouldn't surprise me. The chocolate chip cookie recipe that I put on there would do if you didn't put the chocolate chips in there. My son said it tasted like a cross between a sugar cookie and a chocolate chip cookie. Looked in my recipe box (my real/tangible one) - nope, no sugar cookie recipe. I have a shortbread recipe though....

Quote:
Kathy, you're funny. I really don't get why you all think I'm organized. I'm about as far from it as anyone can get- which is why I talk about it so much! I'm trying SO hard to get there. Like I said, I used to be organized but then I moved in with DH and that all went out the window. Was that really 5 years ago? Yikes! Anyway, when I moved in with DH I was *too* organized and didn't deal well with interruptions to my schedule (to say the least). Now I'm totally disorganized and deal terribly with pretty much everything!

We're still sick here. Have an appointment this afternoon with the doctor to get swabbed for strep. I've been taking ibuprofen for 4 days now (I think?) so I can speak and eat and DH has started with similar symptoms now.
You have a meal plan. That's more organized than I'll ever be. And you always remember details about everyone so I figure you have a rolodex (either in your head or on your desk) with everyone's info in it. You even have meals in your freezer. You're light years ahead of me.

Hope you guys feel better soon. I think I have a cold on top of the allergies. DH has a sore throat, dd2 is coughing a little (though half of them are fake), and DS said his throat was starting to hurt... we can't all have the same allergy!

#27 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Ugh. After trying (and failing) for 3 hours this afternoon to get DD down for a nap, she just now fell asleep on me while nursing. This is going to be a fantastic night.
ETA: Hugs. We've all been there.

I would never bother trying that long. However, I have had many a day where DS has insisted on falling asleep at 5:30 and our remedy is to wake him at 6pm. No nap for you!

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#28 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Natural Calm "lemonade"!!
Yeah, I guess. Maybe I'll give it a go. Have to order some more.

Sorry you are all feeling poorly. DD has been fighting something off for about a week now. Think she's losing the battle.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#29 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
ETA: Hugs. We've all been there.

I would never bother trying that long. However, I have had many a day where DS has insisted on falling asleep at 5:30 and our remedy is to wake him at 6pm. No nap for you!
sorry, cs. I've definitely been there too. Though, as soon as she's out, even if for just 5 minutes, it hits her reset button. So once she's out, we try to make it as long as possible. Maybe if it's dark out when she wakes up, she'll think it's nighttime and just keep sleeping? That's how dd transitioned off of naps last summer. Works best with a full tummy and/or nighttime milk, though!

#30 of 1122 Old 02-01-2010, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
You have a meal plan. That's more organized than I'll ever be. And you always remember details about everyone so I figure you have a rolodex (either in your head or on your desk) with everyone's info in it. You even have meals in your freezer. You're light years ahead of me.

Hope you guys feel better soon. I think I have a cold on top of the allergies. DH has a sore throat, dd2 is coughing a little (though half of them are fake), and DS said his throat was starting to hurt... we can't all have the same allergy!
No meal plan anymore. The meals were too elaborate/labor intensive for life with an infant and toddler. No meals in the freezer anymore either- unless you count the extra meatloaf I made the other day. I'm trying to empty my deep freeze. Yet I made a lasagne for today and intend to freeze the leftovers.
Not strep. Dr says it must just be viral. She laughed at me when I said "Well that's just my luck." I don't really want abx but I REALLY don't want this sore throat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page