Time to learn about oxalates - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 71 Old 06-17-2010, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Interesting! We just started the lamb Pancreas supplement, so we'll have to do another OAT this summer and see if anything has changed.

Speaking of oxalates.... I was trying to figure out if a local lab could do a urine oxalate test so that 1) we would have to pay for the entire OAT, and 2) I could get it ordered through my regular doc and paid for by insurance... the lab said they could, that it was a 24-hour urine test. But when I picked up the collection container, the tech said it was for the magnesium oxalate test. Not the same thing, right? I need to call and ask, but all my phones are dead.
are you still sort of okay with pork? i wonder if you could find a pig-derived pancreatin?

don't know about mag oxalate, sorry

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#62 of 71 Old 06-17-2010, 04:57 PM

Nope, pork eventually failed the trial. Why- is the pork one better than lamb or something??

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#63 of 71 Old 06-17-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Nope, pork eventually failed the trial. Why- is the pork one better than lamb or something??
What you have is a pancreas glandular. Pancreatin is the enzyme(?) that the pancreas produces.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#64 of 71 Old 06-17-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
What you have is a pancreas glandular. Pancreatin is the enzyme(?) that the pancreas produces.
Oh ffs- why does this have to be so confusing?! So a pancreas glandular wouldn't have the pancreas enzymes in it?

#65 of 71 Old 06-17-2010, 09:46 PM

#66 of 71 Old 06-17-2010, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh ffs- why does this have to be so confusing?! So a pancreas glandular wouldn't have the pancreas enzymes in it?
Well, I'm not quite sure what sort of reaction I'm seeing right now, whether it's from finally catching up on amino acids or if it's from the sweetbreads I ate on Sunday and yesterday (wed). Leaning towards the sweetbreads. Which are essentially the fresh form of the glandulars, I think. Whatever it is, we're seeing a pretty big reaction!

#67 of 71 Old 06-17-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it does - it's just not as concentrated. How's it going, btw? Also, have you counted blink rates? Because that's my new favorite question

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Well, I'm not quite sure what sort of reaction I'm seeing right now, whether it's from finally catching up on amino acids or if it's from the sweetbreads I ate on Sunday and yesterday (wed). Leaning towards the sweetbreads. Which are essentially the fresh form of the glandulars, I think. Whatever it is, we're seeing a pretty big reaction!
How much did you eat? <off to find big red "GO SLOW" letters from one of your previous posts>

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#68 of 71 Old 06-17-2010, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
How much did you eat? <off to find big red "GO SLOW" letters from one of your previous posts>
like 2 or 3 each time, and they're small. Yeah, probably too much. Now they're frozen individually instead of in a solid 4lb block, so going slow will be easier

#69 of 71 Old 06-18-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Yeah, it does - it's just not as concentrated. How's it going, btw? Also, have you counted blink rates? Because that's my new favorite question
I did a few weeks ago, and it was a low number (I forgot already). But I wanted to do it again... maybe I'll do that tonight while we're doing pre-bedtime stories.

We started the Pancreas yesterday- just a sprinkle with breakfast. And then I read you're supposed to take it before meals- oops. So this morning, we each had a sprinkle before breakfast. Not noticing anything yet. Tomorrow, if I actually remember, I'll do it at each meal.

#70 of 71 Old 06-18-2010, 12:16 AM

Ok, just did it. DD was around 9-13 (which I think is slightly higher than last time I checked), depending on if you count double blinks or not. DP was 4. Really curious what my blink rate is, but DP isn't sneaky enough to check me without me noticing.

What is the normal range again?

#71 of 71 Old 06-18-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
I did a few weeks ago, and it was a low number (I forgot already). But I wanted to do it again... maybe I'll do that tonight while we're doing pre-bedtime stories.

We started the Pancreas yesterday- just a sprinkle with breakfast. And then I read you're supposed to take it before meals- oops. So this morning, we each had a sprinkle before breakfast. Not noticing anything yet. Tomorrow, if I actually remember, I'll do it at each meal.
Yeah, sprinkle each meal and then work up the dose. I doubt you'll see positive effects until you work up the dose more - at this point, no negatives would be great!

Quote:
Ok, just did it. DD was around 9-13 (which I think is slightly higher than last time I checked), depending on if you count double blinks or not. DP was 4. Really curious what my blink rate is, but DP isn't sneaky enough to check me without me noticing.

What is the normal range again?
<15 blinks=low, 15-30=normal, 30+=high. So your DP is way low, and DD is low but not as bad. I can't believe all the low dopamine folks this test is finding. I tend towards high, but that seems rare around here...

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page