Anyone use Custom Probiotics? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 of 40 Old 02-04-2010, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're thinking of ordering a bottle for DD who is intolerant to basically every single food out there (ok, not really *every* food...just most of them). Seems like they're free of all our allergens. Anyone use them? I have a friend that recommends them but wanted to hear from other allergy mamas, too

http://www.customprobiotics.com/cust...ormulation.htm

Sarah, loving wife to Michael (9/6/03), SAHM to my big girl Maya "Monkey" Grace (10/5/07) and my baby girl Charlotte "Bugsy" Mae (7/2/09) : :
#2 of 40 Old 02-04-2010, 09:51 PM

That looks promising. I'm wondering if they're corn free as well since it doesn't say. "Dairy free" is a term used by the FDA to mean less than a certain number of parts per million. I'd want to ask what it was grown on, and if it is dairy at some point, how do they know it's completely free of it. Or is it under that ppm threshold. If you do call, let us know what they say!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 40 Old 02-05-2010, 02:26 PM

I have been using Custom Probiotics for myself and DD for over a year (after PB recommended it a while ago) and have had no issues. They told me it was corn free, but I don't think we have issues with corn so I wouldn't know if it wasn't. We do have issues with dairy, gluten and many others. The person who runs it is very helpful so you could always call and ask. One warning is that the probiotics are really strong so you may have to start with a lower dose. I thought DD was reacting when we first starting taking them but after I lowered the dose and slowly increased we had no issues.
#4 of 40 Old 07-25-2010, 04:51 PM

I know haren.13 has used these w/ good results (), and mamafish9 is using them as well right now. Thinking about getting the d-lactate for ds and wondering if anyone else has experiences w/ these (good or bad).

TIA!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#5 of 40 Old 07-25-2010, 05:59 PM

I have ordered the custom infant probiotics too and should get them in a day or two.....
Haren...the instructions ask that we store them in the freezer. Is that true? Or just the fridge is fine?
#6 of 40 Old 07-25-2010, 06:28 PM

I just got the six strain for Dd on Thursday and started them Thursday. Today is day 4 and she is having some reaction but I know it is just die off not her dairy, gluten or soy reaction. We are doing 1 small scoop 1st thing in the morning and he said to add a second scoop in the evening if we are not getting the wanted results. I will be adding the second scoop or maybe do 1 rounded scoop on Tuesday. Just to go slowly. I have to mix it into her green smoothie which works well otherwise she won't take it.

When I called and explained the "allergic to everything" issue and her OAT results he suggested the six strain as she does not have autism so no need for the D-Lactate. I will trust his opinion.

I will be trying it out as well but I can only handle one of us starting at a time She is still nursing so that is another reason for one at a time.

I just put them in the fridge but am interested in that answer as well.

Wife to : DH and Mama to Abigail Rose 3/30/08 :
#7 of 40 Old 07-25-2010, 08:41 PM

Keep us posted on what happens beadmama and Blessed_mom!

And, from the custom probiotics site, for those wondering:

Quote:
STORAGE: Our probiotic formulations must be stored in a refrigerator or freezer to maintain maximum potency. You can, however, travel with our probiotic supplements unrefrigerated for two to three weeks with very minimal bacterial count reduction.
Looks like they can be refrigerated as well...

I traditional foods
#8 of 40 Old 07-26-2010, 12:24 AM

DS has been on the d-lactate free ones for months now. With the small dose he takes, the bottle will last pretty much forever, so ours are in the freezer. I use them on the rest of the family as needed.

DS was very sensitive to FOS and other stuff often in probiotics, and these are awesome for him. However, he's not sensitive to trace corn or dairy, so I don't know how they are from a totally 'allergen free' perspective.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#9 of 40 Old 07-26-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
DS was very sensitive to FOS and other stuff often in probiotics, and these are awesome for him. However, he's not sensitive to trace corn or dairy, so I don't know how they are from a totally 'allergen free' perspective.
I wrote to them and I believe they are totally corn, dairy, etc free...I think it says on their site as well, but the corn was what I specifically asked about (I don't think that was posted on their site).

Glad they are working for him!!

I traditional foods
#10 of 40 Old 07-30-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
Keep us posted on what happens beadmama and Blessed_mom!
I received the probiotics yesterday. Gave her 2 scoops yesterday itself with some water. In the evening she had some dark green 'poo. Today she has been listless, has loss of appetite, and slightly green 'poo. Also she is taking the probiotic water with great resistance. It has a very mild taste.....

Is this die-off? Or something else altogether? Please help.

#11 of 40 Old 07-30-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_Mom View Post
I received the probiotics yesterday. Gave her 2 scoops yesterday itself with some water. In the evening she had some dark green 'poo. Today she has been listless, has loss of appetite, and slightly green 'poo. Also she is taking the probiotic water with great resistance. It has a very mild taste.....

Is this die-off? Or something else altogether? Please help.

Uh, 2 scoops is a LOT (the little ones or the big ones? - either is a lot, two big scoops would be insane). I'd say it's almost certainly die off. And you don't need to put the probiotics in water - they are pretty bland tasting, I just mix in a little peanut butter or wipe directly in DS mouth. Usually about 30 minutes after eating, that way the stomach acid doesn't kill off as much of the probiotic.

You might back off the quantity and ramp up more slowly - generally symptoms peak on day 2-3 of a dose.

#12 of 40 Old 07-30-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Uh, 2 scoops is a LOT (the little ones or the big ones? - either is a lot, two big scoops would be insane). I'd say it's almost certainly die off. And you don't need to put the probiotics in water - they are pretty bland tasting, I just mix in a little peanut butter or wipe directly in DS mouth. Usually about 30 minutes after eating, that way the stomach acid doesn't kill off as much of the probiotic.

You might back off the quantity and ramp up more slowly - generally symptoms peak on day 2-3 of a dose.
The bottle says 1-2 scoops (small scoops) in water. Is why we were following those instructions.
Should I just make her lick 1 scoop directly. It is not like they will give her mouth sores - right?
#13 of 40 Old 07-30-2010, 01:48 AM

We have been using Custom Probiotics for a couple of months now and I have been very happy with them. I have the 6 strain kind in pills and our children take 2 a day: one just before breakfast, the second 30 min. after dinner. I give my baby DS one a day, if I don't forget. , I usually dissolve them in water, except for my older DS who swallows pills fine. In the beginning I think they worked really well, but now I don't seem to see as much of an improvement anymore. However, I will not give up on them bc. I know how important probiotics are and we are fighting yeast issues, while we have not been successful at cutting down grains that much . Also, I had the strain in Culturelle (Lactobacillus...?) as a powder and I would give that in addition to the 6 strain blend bc. our OAT results recommended 50+ billion Lactob./day and I wanted to make sure that we gave them *at least* that much.

Mom to DS (04) , DD ( 07) , DS ( 09)
#14 of 40 Old 07-30-2010, 12:45 PM

The first day I gave Dd (6 strain) she had a bm that was a really dark green and with some almost mucosy texture after the formed one. Her next bm was solid and still dark but no green. So I think it was probably die off and getting rid of the old fecal matter in the colon and will probably take some tome to clean out. It has been one week with a single small scoop and yesterday I upped it to 1 rounded scoop. She is still pooping every 3 - 4 days so hopefully upping the dose will help. I also started this morning with 1/2 and adult scoop so we shall see how that goes. She is enamored by the little spoon and will just take the probiotic straight and then she eats her smoothie with it.

#15 of 40 Old 07-30-2010, 02:53 PM

I wrote to the guy (Harry) at custom probiotics, asking if they sold samples so we could try them out. He's sending me a sample, and for free (including shipping!!) I will totally share how they impact ds! (We are getting the d-lactate free kind.)

I traditional foods
#16 of 40 Old 07-30-2010, 03:42 PM

I tried them just to see how they were... and found even though they were very high potency they are not as effective as others at a lower potency but higher quality apparently.

It also bothers me not to know what the growth media is, and whether or not they are human strain or not. I found that Harry was evasive with my questions.
#17 of 40 Old 07-31-2010, 01:07 AM

Jane S, you mentioned that Custom Probiotics is not of high quality? I just ordered the infant one for my son, and now I'm very worried. I don't want to give him anything that is of low quality. It has to be the BEST quality. It's so expensive - one would think Harry is being fair w/the price - i.e. uses quality products?

Please let me know. I don't want to give anything but the highest quality probiotics to my son. If this is sub-standard, I need to change probiotics.

Thanks!
#18 of 40 Old 07-31-2010, 03:33 AM

I think different probiotics work well for different people - DS had awful reactions to the fantastic ones Jane uses .

I have been very happy with them. We tried several different probiotics (all expensive and on the high quality end of things - I consider these high quality probiotics). For my son, they have been very helpful.

Blessed mom, yes, that is the recommended dose, but if your child has issues with unfriendly gut bacteria, starting off at that dose will likely cause die off. By starting slowly and working up to that dose, you'll likely see a lot less symptoms.

#19 of 40 Old 07-31-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARA777 View Post
Jane S, you mentioned that Custom Probiotics is not of high quality? I just ordered the infant one for my son, and now I'm very worried. I don't want to give him anything that is of low quality. It has to be the BEST quality. It's so expensive - one would think Harry is being fair w/the price - i.e. uses quality products?

Please let me know. I don't want to give anything but the highest quality probiotics to my son. If this is sub-standard, I need to change probiotics.

Thanks!
Yes Mamafish is right, different products work for different people. Her son needs probiotics which are d-lactate free and is doing well on CP.

I wouldn't call CP "low" quality since it obviously enjoys a large and devoted following, but I haven't been satisfied with answers as to the manufacturing and production quality standards and origin of the bacteria.

Taking a large amount (2 per day, which would be >$100 per month) resulted in a return to having loose stool when it was being kept away by lower cost and lower cfu dose of another brand.

We have tried pretty much every single probiotic on the market now except VSL3.
#20 of 40 Old 07-31-2010, 03:33 PM

We have been on one scoop a day for the past couple of days. Stools are still green. Appetite still sucks. Listlessness is gone.....
#21 of 40 Old 08-01-2010, 09:43 AM

I got my (free sample of) custom probiotics--d-lactate free--in the mail yesterday. (That was fast!) He gave me a lot! I'll really be able to see how I like it. I highly recommend emailing/calling if you want to give these a try but are nervous about forking out the cash for them.

I gave ds a scoop last night b/4 bed. He slept well (is still asleep) which is a good sign (if I'm looking for him to NOT seem to have a horrible, somewhat crazy reaction to probiotics that I've typically seen him have--which I think might be FOS/d-lactate related...) We'll see! I'll be sure to share more!

I traditional foods
#22 of 40 Old 08-03-2010, 06:30 PM

My DD had 2 days of normal yellow poops and today - green poop. Nothing has changed in her diet. Assure me again - is this really die-off? It isn't like there is anything to react in the probiotics itself - is there? Should I feel hopeful that things are "working"?? Some words of reassurance please?
#23 of 40 Old 08-05-2010, 02:12 PM

Is this at once per day? Does CP say to go up to 3x per day from there?
#24 of 40 Old 08-05-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Is this at once per day? Does CP say to go up to 3x per day from there?
Yes one scoop a day. CP says to take from 1-2 a day.
#25 of 40 Old 08-06-2010, 03:17 PM

I would go up as long as you are not noticing any negative reactions.
#26 of 40 Old 08-06-2010, 05:00 PM

She had green poop the day before, yellow poop yesterday and seems to have lost her appetite since I started them (CP).

Would that be a negative reaction?
#27 of 40 Old 08-07-2010, 12:18 AM

That's fairly typical die off reaction - how long has she been taking them?

#28 of 40 Old 08-07-2010, 12:39 AM

Since 7/28/2010. So 10 days.
#29 of 40 Old 08-08-2010, 05:44 PM

Dd as now been taking CP for just over two weeks and seems to be doing fine with them. She is on about 1.5 scoops per day and her bms have increased to almost everyday which is up from every 4 days. At first like I said they were dark green and almost mucousy but the color has been normal ever since and no mucous. I have been doing 1 adult scoop and have been doing fine on them. I am going to wait before increasing as she is still nursing and I don't want to make my die off to fast and pass it on.

We also started the Yasko enzymes as we both have undigested food in our stools, bloating and gas. Her first BM after that was normal color but liquid so I am sticking to a very small sprinkle one meal a day until her bms return to formed then I will increase again. I am also keeping my intake really small for now.

Over the last two nights I have night weaned her and it was such a difference now than a few months ago as she has only fussed a little and otherwise seems fine with it. We actually got 4 hours straight of sleep last night There has been some die off with the enzymes but keeping it slow so it does not get to bad. She actually likes the taste of both the CP and the enzymes. Go figure!

She has had a slight rash come and go but she got into something at tumbling the other day that I think is the culprit.

#30 of 40 Old 08-08-2010, 10:48 PM

Ds has been taking the custom probiotics since I last posted (just one scoop a day so far--I'm going slow w/ this.) After a couple days on them he started waking in the night and wanting to get up to play (very cheery--not like his past screaming/crying nightwaking associated w/ food reactions) for an hour or so, then nursing back to sleep. (I think it was die off related.) I've been playing around w/ the timing of the dose, and I think we're avoiding the nightwaking at this point. Other than that, nothing negative. In fact, he's been more cheery, easygoing, and flexible since taking them.

I didn't give them to him one day to see if there was a correlation between his sleep and the probiotics. (He did sleep through the night the day I did not give them to him, after multiple consecutive nights of nightwaking.) But, the day after I skipped a dose (and had not given them to him yet that day) he seemed quite irritable, had a major meltdown seemingly unprovoked, and just seemed very emotional/needy--moreso than he had been the previous days on them. Then, within hours of me giving him his dose of the cp he seemed calmer, happier, and more easygoing again.

I'm also giving him seablue transdermal B vitamins and mag/zinc sulfate cream, as well as mag oil (all transdermal) daily. He's also taking clo and D3 drops. We do acerola powder when he is willing, and he eats bee pollen as a snack (he likes it straight!) So all these things impact him as well, but these recent positive things I feel are linked to the CPs. His bms don't seem that different, but less smelly--when he pooped in the past, you knew from the next room b/c of the smell. He's had bms while on the cps that I didn't realize were in his diaper when he was on my lap! (Little ones, but still...) They still have an odor, but it has not been like it was...

Very exciting, esp all written out! I'll update again soon...

I traditional foods
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page