so confused, help! (long) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-11-2010, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our dd is now 8months old and started her life off with no problems. On a few occasions before I ever introduced solids she did have a tiny patch of redness on her cheek but it always went away quickly and her poops were always normal. Digestion seemed fine. she really never spit up or had excessive gas or anything like that.

Fast forward to 6 months when we first introduced solids (before that she had been ebf). We started with avocado, then banana, sweet potato. All of these things she seems to be allergic to. She reacts with eczema on her cheeks, neck and arms.

So we decided to eliminate all solids for awhile and go back to ebf. the problem was that she still had skin flare ups and now she has green mucousy poop at times even while being ebf, which she never did before introducing solids.

Her skin had been pretty clear for a bit so last night I decided to give her some sweet potatoes again to see if there was a reaction. Low and behold she was moaning all night and had green slimy poop this morning with a bit of a skin flare up on her cheeks.

So what on earth is going on here? Why does she all of the sudden have green poops when being ebf? Could I have increased her sensitivity by giving her solids and now she is allergic to things in my bm? Is she just not ready for solids yet? How much longer should I wait? I've been trying to fortify her gut by giving her probiotics. She seems to have reactions either way now whether I'm just ebf or like last night with the sweet potato.

I have no allergies. Her dad is allergic to multiple things some we haven't even figured out yet. Should I try an elimination diet in this case even though she didn't really show signs of allergies before I started her on solids?

Please help, I'm so new to this allergy thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 07:34 PM

I don't have much to help except to say that I'm introducing solids late to my 9 month old because of allergic eczema also. So far, sweet potatoes and carrots definitely caused a reaction. I think green beans, peaches, grapes and pears were all OK. I'm not sure what I think about peas and zucchini, I'm going to try those again. I would say just keep trying different items, and you should find some that she can tolerate.

My son's eczema started at around 4 months. No skin problems before that. And his seems to be heavily food-related.

-Kathy First time Mom to Son F, born April 30, 2009.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. Doesn't anyone have an idea of why she might still be having occasional green poops after being back on bm with no solids? I'm at a loss
Old 02-11-2010, 10:55 PM

It's pretty easy to "tip" over an edge with this stuff - feeding her the solids directly may have triggered a stronger reaction or some gut inflammation, so now your LOs body is in a different place, and reacting even through breastmilk.

It sounds like digestion starches might be an issue for her - maybe her gut just isn't ready to handle them. If you want to try foods, maybe something like meat broth, see how that goes.

I'd also start keeping a food journal, to see if you can identify foods you eat that cause green poops.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Old 02-12-2010, 12:45 PM

I agree with mamafish...sometimes once the inflammation starts, it seems like everything you do will exacerbate it. I would just pull all solids out of the diet for awhile, and when you reintroduce try a different family of foods.

FWIW, my DD seemingly had horrible issues w/ sweet potatoes and carrots when she began solids. But a few months later when she tried them again, no issues. She does have dairy, soy, peanut allergy, so I think her poor gut was just in rough shape.

I do recommend for sensitive kids to do a BLW approach b/c I feel that the food is easier to digest that way - less food taken in, more saliva to help w/ digestion, etc.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
Old 02-12-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that is pretty much what I suspected as well... that I upset her internal balance and now she is over reacting to things. We were doing BLW and will again when we can.

So how long did you avoid solids? I'm thinking I will for 3 months while giving her baby biotics and then re-introduce. Do you think that is long enough? How long did you wait balancedmama?

User Tag List