Need help with newborn, elimination diet or just support our systems? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-11-2010, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 4 week old who is having tummy troubles, but most concerning are her poops. They are green and stringy and sometimes only consist of a water spot with a green string or two. She also randomly has normal poops as well. I have been off of dairy, soy, egg, chocolate and wheat since a few days after her birth. I tried no nuts, corn, chicken, and tomatoes for a few days, but saw no improvement. We have baby on pharmax neonate probiotic and I take regular probiotics.

Dd now has a horrible rash all over her face and cradle cap. She does not sleep well and every night after the second time she nurses she acts very uncomfortable and grunts/groans, spits up, and toots. She also has a white coating on her tongue.

I'm just not sure what to do at this point. My older dd has food sensitivities so we are no stranger to gut healing. I am eating a diet of grass fed meats, millet bread, vegetables, pecans/almonds, coconut oil and milk, and limited fruit - thats it besides spices. I ordered some more water kefir grains and the klaire labs probiotic since it is lactose free. I don't know what else to eliminate from my diet or if I should just give it a couple more weeks. I wonder if the ELISA could be run on an infant? If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears!
#2 of 10 Old 02-11-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahwilson View Post
I have a 4 week old who is having tummy troubles, but most concerning are her poops. They are green and stringy and sometimes only consist of a water spot with a green string or two. She also randomly has normal poops as well. I have been off of dairy, soy, egg, chocolate and wheat since a few days after her birth. I tried no nuts, corn, chicken, and tomatoes for a few days, but saw no improvement. We have baby on pharmax neonate probiotic and I take regular probiotics.
But it could take 4 days to get out of your breastmilk, so if you only gave it a few days, that might not have been enough. Not saying those foods are the problem, but that might not have been a fair trial.

Quote:
Dd now has a horrible rash all over her face and cradle cap. She does not sleep well and every night after the second time she nurses she acts very uncomfortable and grunts/groans, spits up, and toots. She also has a white coating on her tongue.
white coating on the tongue is usually yeast overgrowth isn't it?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 10 Old 02-11-2010, 06:48 PM

Green poop could mean a hindmilk, foremilk imbalance. She could be getting mostly the foremilk which causes green froathy poop. Try keeping her on one breast until she comes off on her own that way she will be getting both types of milk. I would recommend going to llli.org (La Leche League's website) or contact a La Leche League leader for more information.
The white coating on her tongue could be yeast. Have you tried wiping it off? If the tongue seems raw after the white coating is removed then it could be yeast. You would probably have sore nipples and deep breast pain if your daughter has thrush/yeast.

Cynthia--Among other things, I am a wife and mother to two boys.
#4 of 10 Old 02-11-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
But it could take 4 days to get out of your breastmilk, so if you only gave it a few days, that might not have been enough. Not saying those foods are the problem, but that might not have been a fair trial.

white coating on the tongue is usually yeast overgrowth isn't it?
Thats true. I am thinking I will stay off of corn for now and then possibly almonds again. I don't remember what the deal is with the white coating, but yeast was my thought too.
#5 of 10 Old 02-11-2010, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Green poop could mean a hindmilk, foremilk imbalance. She could be getting mostly the foremilk which causes green froathy poop. Try keeping her on one breast until she comes off on her own that way she will be getting both types of milk. I would recommend going to llli.org (La Leche League's website) or contact a La Leche League leader for more information.
The white coating on her tongue could be yeast. Have you tried wiping it off? If the tongue seems raw after the white coating is removed then it could be yeast. You would probably have sore nipples and deep breast pain if your daughter has thrush/yeast.
I have been block feeding 4 hours per side, just to rule that out. I did have a big supply and strong letdown. I am not having any nipple pain but I did have mastitis a week ago.
#6 of 10 Old 02-11-2010, 08:46 PM

Hmn, how long have you been doing the block nursing?

Cynthia--Among other things, I am a wife and mother to two boys.
#7 of 10 Old 02-12-2010, 01:30 PM

I had to block feed for about 8 hours per side to address my foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, and I didn't even have an obvious oversupply. Are you emptying the first breast completely?

If the white coating on the tongue is 'hairy' that's not yeast, I think it's more related to nutrient imbalances.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#8 of 10 Old 02-12-2010, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

This is the 4th day of block feeding. I am not getting engorged anymore, but still have a strong letdown the first time she nurses on the other side. I could try going longer on each side. From yesterday until today her poop has been normal. I stopped the pharmax probiotic yesterday and gave her some of the klaire labs probiotic todsay. She fussed after I gave it to her, but is sleeping now. She was still really gassy abd fussy at the usual time last night though, despite the normal poop. Gosh I just don't know what is going on with her. I can't seem to make any connections and it is driving me crazy!
#9 of 10 Old 02-12-2010, 03:58 PM

As tempting as it is to analyze things on an hour by hour basis, it sounds like you're making a lot of changes, fast. I'd wait at least a day or two before trying to guess what's helping and what's not - think about how long it takes stuff to get into your milk, how long it stays there, how long it takes the milk to work through her system, etc. Keep watching symptoms and looking for patterns, just give them a little longer to be sure they're really there before acting on them

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#10 of 10 Old 02-12-2010, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
As tempting as it is to analyze things on an hour by hour basis, it sounds like you're making a lot of changes, fast. I'd wait at least a day or two before trying to guess what's helping and what's not - think about how long it takes stuff to get into your milk, how long it stays there, how long it takes the milk to work through her system, etc. Keep watching symptoms and looking for patterns, just give them a little longer to be sure they're really there before acting on them
Very good point. After going through so much with my first dd I just want to fix it all now before it gets bad! I have been taking the baby to a chiropractor to help with her sinus's and the doctor also does NAET. She was using muscle testing to find out what is aggravating her gut and it was millet. I have been eating a gf millet bread daily because I figured that was one of the least reactive things I could eat. Go figure. Hopefully we will see some improvement now that I stop eating millet. I think I will keep up with the probiotics and just eat really healthy foods on somewhat of a rotation diet for now. My older dd is gluten, dairy, soy, corn, egg, and chocolate free so it is easier to eat the same as her anyways.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page