Rotation diet failed me and I feel like I failed my son - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-14-2010, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think Caleb developed a new allergy to sunflower. He was negative on spt just recently and so I introduced sunbutter. He ate it fine in a four day rotation for several weeks. Sixteen days ago I noticed a small rash around his face but it went away soon and I decided it was irritation from pasta sauce spices. Twelve days ago he had unexplained diarrhea after dinner. I suspected yogurt which is new on the rotation that day. Eight days ago I pulled yogurt and yet he broke out in a rash and said his stomach hurt and he thought it was the sunbutter (w/a lot of sadness because he loved it). Today no sunflower, rest of the rotation the same including yogurt, no symptoms.

It worries me because I had hoped that by rotating foods every four days he would be less likely to develop new allergies. And then it bothers me because I so wish I hadn't given him sunflower butter. I feel like I took a kid who was already entirely limited in foods and gave him another junky, in everything, hit (sunflower oil...).

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 02-14-2010, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh Rachelle, I'm so sorry!
#3 of 12 Old 02-14-2010, 03:09 AM

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#4 of 12 Old 02-14-2010, 03:14 AM

It's just not fair .

Can he do pine nuts (which are really a seed I believe, not a nut)? We made a cheese/butter/spread thing out of that which was very good.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#5 of 12 Old 02-14-2010, 12:00 PM

Part of the purpose of the rotation IS to identify triggers. PLUS you added Yogurt!!!

Pat

I have a blog.
#6 of 12 Old 02-14-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Part of the purpose of the rotation IS to identify triggers.

Pat
Rachelle, is it possible that he just never got enough before for you to notice a reaction, but he was reacting to small amounts before? Have SPTs always been accurate for you? Be nice if that's a possibility.
#7 of 12 Old 02-14-2010, 06:13 PM

We had almost the exact same thing happen with sunflower seeds. We've had the same thing happen after eating a food for months and months as well (coconut was more than 6 months before a sudden, full-body hive reaction)- DD seems to have a really slow build-up reaction to some foods (or else she's developing new IgE triggers monthly- and that's too scary to think about!) It makes it really hard to introduce new foods.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#8 of 12 Old 02-15-2010, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all. It seems like his SPT tests are very accurate for him. Things he reacts to in life he tests + to/I've never seen anything I felt was a false negative or positive though I know false positive is more likely. He hadn't ever had sunflower seeds directly (I'm sure he'd had the oil in things) prior to that test. My instinct is that I sensitized him unfortunately. I wish I had thought that through.

He does have nut and other seed allergies and so probably seeds was a poor pick altogether on my part. I just wanted something that might help him feel more normal out and about. And, it's silly, but sometimes homeschool projects use peanut butter and so I wanted something to use in place of that. Oh well.

You're right, though, Pat in that the rotation did help me figure out the reaction source and he does have yogurt it seems. I would rather have yogurt than sunflower anyway!

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#9 of 12 Old 02-15-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
He does have nut and other seed allergies and so probably seeds was a poor pick altogether on my part. I just wanted something that might help him feel more normal out and about. And, it's silly, but sometimes homeschool projects use peanut butter and so I wanted something to use in place of that. Oh well.

You're right, though, Pat in that the rotation did help me figure out the reaction source and he does have yogurt it seems. I would rather have yogurt than sunflower anyway!
I would rather have yogurt in place of sunflower seeds, but it is the opposite for us.

I know how it is wishing my kids could feel normal. My almost 3 yr old was at sunday school today and all the kids were eating pretzels and gold fish. I brought a snack not as exciting for her. The teacher asked her if she wanted goldfish and she said, "no, they will give me rashes." I so bad wanted her to have goldfish and be a normal kid.

Did you try sunflower seeds too? I know that there is something about "butters" for us that is usually pushing it for us. Like we are ok with small amounts for a treat of sesame seeds, but a small amount of tahini just does us in.
#10 of 12 Old 02-15-2010, 01:43 AM

It just occurred to me that many sunnutbutters have other ingredients besides sunflower seeds. Is the one you tried pure?
#11 of 12 Old 02-15-2010, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
It just occurred to me that many sunnutbutters have other ingredients besides sunflower seeds. Is the one you tried pure?
I think it's just sunflower. I'm nearly certain I called. But when I was calling I was calling tons of companies and I just looked and I don't have sunbutter on my spreadsheet list so now I'm wondering. Ack...I don't know whether to hope I fed him sesame or tree nuts and nothing is new or hope I didn't do something that foolish! Now that I think of it GI and skin is probably ana. Man. I think I need a long break somewhere to get my brain in gear.

#12 of 12 Old 02-15-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
Now that I think of it GI and skin is probably ana.

Not necessarily, food chemical intolerance can do both too and doesn't involve the immune system at all.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page