I just chugged a glass of goat milk kefir - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-14-2010, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm nervous! I'm going to be looking forward to the baby maintaining her clear skin at the 24 hour mark - wish us luck!

~Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#2 of 12 Old 02-14-2010, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

I'm having trouble not drinking the entire 32 oz bottle...

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#3 of 12 Old 02-14-2010, 11:39 PM

32 oz? That's only 4 cups!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#4 of 12 Old 02-15-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wugmama View Post
I'm having trouble not drinking the entire 32 oz bottle...

Go slowly, woman! Kefir is powerful probiotics.

Pat

I have a blog.
#5 of 12 Old 02-15-2010, 10:43 AM

Best wishes!

Almost exactly a year ago, I did the same. There was a mother on here who had good experiences with it (WhoMe? ChangingSeasons?), so I went for it. It was not good - DS vomited after nursing, as I recall.

BUT, a year later, he is eating (cow) dairy after a challenge at the allergist's office. We don't think we've seen any effects in the week+ he's been drinking/eating small amounts of it.

AND, I just found coconut milk kifir at Whole Foods. Been putting that in our pancakes to soak them.

Let us know how it turns out!

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#6 of 12 Old 02-15-2010, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

I just found out about the coconut milk kefir, but haven't seen it yet.

We had gone off of wheat and dairy at the same time 1.5 years ago.
I know for sure she gets eczema flare ups from gluten if she gets something from her brother. But she has grabbed their shakes and started sucking them down before with no noticeable ill-effects. So I am hopeful about the goat-milk kefir!

I felt likethe regular kefir I was scarfing down 1.5 years ago was worsening the eczema on my hands. But again, could have just been the gluten. Sixteen hours later I don't have any itching, or anything, so good sign!

#7 of 12 Old 02-15-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wugmama View Post
I just found out about the coconut milk kefir, but haven't seen it yet.

We had gone off of wheat and dairy at the same time 1.5 years ago.
I know for sure she gets eczema flare ups from gluten if she gets something from her brother. But she has grabbed their shakes and started sucking them down before with no noticeable ill-effects. So I am hopeful about the goat-milk kefir!

I felt likethe regular kefir I was scarfing down 1.5 years ago was worsening the eczema on my hands. But again, could have just been the gluten. Sixteen hours later I don't have any itching, or anything, so good sign!
We tried some goat's milk last month and it was horrible - but no reaction until after a full 24 hours. It wasn't raw and it wasn't kefired so I should have know better than to try. I am going to try again in the spring - with raw, kefired
You can get the coconut milk kefir at Mississippi Market or the gf store in Woodbury, Tailor Made Nutrition usually has it.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#8 of 12 Old 02-16-2010, 03:03 AM

So, so....?????? What's the verdict?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#9 of 12 Old 02-16-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
So, so....?????? What's the verdict?
Updates?
#10 of 12 Old 02-16-2010, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Well, she nursed again at about 6pm, and after that still no problems, no eczema, no more rashes, so I had some more! And I had some this morning. She slept no worse than she usually does! In fact, she slept 11 hours total from start to finish though was up to nurse. She did have a 4 hours stretch in there. Some nights she's up almost every hour.

I DECLARE A PASS!

So this is great! This was just with me drinking it. I realized too late that there is citric acid in this (?). It is mango orange pineapple flavored, but didn't think to read the ingredients for something like that. I always get worried that comes from corn. So I'm not going to give her this one. I'm going to the store tonight to see if the other flavor, blueberry, is okay. Then I'll try her directly on that.

I'm so happy! I've been just craving dairy. I know we aren't getting enough calcium. My hair is in terrible shape, and she still hardly has any. Boy, that kefir sure goes down easy! I hope she likes it. She won't drink the Turtle Mountain coconut milk, won't even drink the sugar-laden Rice Dream!

#11 of 12 Old 02-16-2010, 01:53 PM

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#12 of 12 Old 02-16-2010, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Do you think I should hold off on the goat milk cheese? It just dawned on me that I could have cheese back in my life....

:j oy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page