NAET appointment - log of progress. Need input. *UPDATE* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2010, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we went to see Dr. Darvish today to see if she could use NAET to rid my DD (8.5 mo) olds' dairy allergies , eczema and lack of appetite (due to suspected other allergies).

She didn't want to treat my DD with NAET (said it would take too long) and suspected yeast because of the antibiotics I was given during my labor and delivery.

She did what she called "ART?ERT?" which she said was similar to NAET and my DH held my DD while she tested her for various foods (my testing his muscle reflexes by holding different vials etc. in his hand)

She tested positive for : Dairy, Corn, Soy, Peanuts and Eggs.

She has been prescribed: Homeopathic "Pleo San Cand" (for Candida yeast), HLC Neonate powder (probiotics. But this has lactose. Shouldn't my DD NOT be given this??? I need to call tomorrow to ask), Cod Liver oil and L-Glutamine (for yeast).

Do the knowledgeable ones here have any input on yeast and what she has been prescribed for it? Any input on HLc Neonate for dairy allergic infants?

We have been asked to see her back in a month.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2010, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So are you going off of those foods AND doing the things she prescribed (probiotics and yeast fighter)?
Does she have a dairy intolerance or allergy?
All the things she tested positive for are top allergens (except the corn, which is a top intolerance) so it wouldn't surprise me if those were problem foods.
Is she on solids yet or still just BFing?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 02-17-2010, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
So are you going off of those foods AND doing the things she prescribed (probiotics and yeast fighter)?
Does she have a dairy intolerance or allergy?
All the things she tested positive for are top allergens (except the corn, which is a top intolerance) so it wouldn't surprise me if those were problem foods.
Is she on solids yet or still just BFing?
Yes - I am off those foods as of yesterday (I was off dairy since DD was 4 mo when we discovered her dairy allergy by accident, when I was giving her a milk bath for her eczema. She used to get milk baths upto that point every week but suddenly started reacting). Hence I think that is a dairy allergy???

She has started solids but not BLW. She doesn't eat much - some squash here , some pear there. I do give her rice (mashed with bone broth and/or some expressed BM just so I can give her bone broth or EBM). Some banana too....but that's it. 70-80% of her nutrition comes from my breastmilk. I am pushing for solids because my BM doesn't seem to be enough. She has lost 3 ounce in the last one and 1/2 month and plateaued there. Her weight at 8.5 mo is 15 pounds.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Questions I have from the appointment:

1. How can I be sure that my daughter indeed has yeast. The Dr. suspected yeast even before she even touched anyone and then after muscle testing confirmed it. But what if it isn't?

2. Can I now take her to her regular ped and get her tested for yeast? Is there an accurate stool test?

3. She has been prescribed 4 things. The CLO, probiotics and even homeopathic candida treatment I don't mind giving even if , say, my DD doesn't really have yeast. BUt what are the consequences of giving L-Glutamine one someone who doesn't have yeast?

4. HLC neonate has lactose. Isn't that bad for someone with confirmed dairy allergy?

Thanks for replying.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Bump. Please....are there adverse effects with L-glutamine in case my DD doesn't really have yeast?
Old 02-18-2010, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

So - maybe I will chat with myself. I started all 4 of her prescribed supps today - the CLO, HLC Neonate, L-Glutamine (which I am most wary of) and the homeopathic medicine for Candida (has Candida albicans in it I think (sp?) ).

All of them are one dose per day except the Neonate which needs to be 3 doses. Since I was putting off dosing her until DH came home and I could discuss with him (he was unavailable at work all day)...I dosed all of them at one dose now (around 7.30 which is her last but one feed).

I am not sure this is the right thing to do....especially for the L-Glutamine. Does L-Glu cause crankiness at night? Is it OK to be given at bedtime??

Please mamas that know about this stuff......answer some of my questions.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:46 AM

I would start each supplement separately, try a week between adding something new. If you are concerned about L glutamine I would do more research and wwait to give it to her.

I don't know the back ground for your DD, but does she have a true allergy to dairy? I would stay away from lactose if this is the case. There are infant probiotics with out lactose.

EFT: Emotional Freedom Technique is probably what she was using. You can google this, you can do it yourself at home. I went to a Bioset Practitioner who also did this and it was very effective for me.

It sounds like you are uncomfortable with the practitioner, I would not go back if this is the case. Trust your instincts.

I can tell you from my experience with DS's rashes that he definitely had yeast and it made his eczema worse. I have eczema also and have been experimenting with differnt supplements and have discovered a few things about myself. I am deficient in vitamin A, D, K2. When I take CLO my eczema gets horrible, I need way more vit D than is in CLO. Taking vitamin A can cause viral die off (vit A fights viruses), viral die off kicks up yeast and makes the eczema worse. So, what I am saying is that you need to find the right balance of these vitamins that your DD needs. I also take biotin in large amounts to fight yeast. Are you breastfeeding? The biotin I take helps keep my baby's yeast under control because it comes through the breast milk.

I hope this is helpful, I amreally tired right now.

We create our own reality.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

nak- yes I breastfeed. I will try the biotin....good for my falling hair too.

I don't know what I think of the practitioner yet but I had gone in thinking she was going to use Naet and she said NAET is a slow process My understanding was - it takes 25 hrs to treat one allergy??

My DD's dairy allergy - she got hives when I gave her a milk bath for her eczema when she was about 4 mo old. I am guessing this is an allergy. Plus yesterday the doc confirmed it. My DD developed the allergy in a week. Like one week she was fine with the milk bath (and uptil then) and anoter week she reacted.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:57 AM

Personally I would stay away from probiotics made with dairy -there somegreat dairy free powders you can get to give her. We use the BlueBonnet diary free wafers. I know they make a powder too...

L-glut is supposed to be good for healing the gut - an essential amino if I remember correctly, that we don'tget nearly enough of, and it helps heal/rapiar the lining of the intestines. Which would then decrease perm. and hopefully lessen the food proteins entering into the blood stream and being triggers for allergic responses/development of new allergies.NO clue whether it is safe for babes - try the Healing the Gut ladies....maybe they know more.

We do Nutritional Response Testing with my son for his food allergies - basically what you described, a slightly different method of NAET and the like. We rely on homeopathics for him cuz he doesn't test well with the whole food complexes or with the herbals. Our doc tests him with each med to see if it will help before we are given it - did yours do anything like that? I can bring in stuff too, like foods, herbals from his acupunturist, soaps, etc that I want tested. We went weekly for 6 weeks and are now graduated to every 2 weeks for the next 6 weeks. Each week he gets retested to see if the meds are working (which they are - dramatically so!! we are actually ADDING foods!). I think it is weird to prescibe a bunch of stuff and say comeback in a month.... Sounds like you have some trust issues with her too - best to deal with this now or perhaps look for someone you are more comfty with before going on with it?

As for the weight - looking back my son started to level out when we intro'd solids, then slowly but steadily fell off the growth chart. Our ped then didn't listen to my concerns about any of it- all the allergy signs, the growth stopping, behavioral/mood issues.... After we had an ana reaction we switched peds and discovered the wonderful world of multiple food allergies.We pulled all his allergens fromhis diet. Over the next three months he grew almost 2 inches!!
The food I was feeding him via my BM and via table food was basically posioning him. Nursing is an awesome gift for you to give your babe, especially considering the food allergies. I knowthat being on that restricted diet can be very very very challenging - but the benefits to your babe is so amazing. It will help heal that tummy and round out her nutrition as well. See if she doesn't gain weight after you both pull the allergens out of the diet. Pushing solids now, while her gut is damaged can lead to her developing even more food allergies.

Best of luck - and hugs to you mama, this is no easy journey. But well worth the effort when you see your babe growing and thriving, or when you get to start challenging foods. I wish I had found this NRT and our fab acupunturist/chinese MD sooner - the progress has been amazing!
Old 02-18-2010, 05:03 AM

Just noticed that you posted about CLO too....we tried teh CLO with DS for healinghis gut but he woud get sick after taking it, rash, GI upset, behavioral issues, etc. Turns out the Vit E that is used to preserve it is soy based. His soy allergy is so intense he can not tolerate ANY trace of soy - no lecithin whcih is usually well tolerated. Alot of Vit E is soy based cuz it is so cheap - so we steer clear of all Vit E like it is the plague. Such a PITA cuz it is in so much stuff from food to lotions - but it cut out the reactions.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:04 PM

Running out the door. Remind me, if I don't come back today. Here is a respected resource about L-glutamine: http://www.innvista.com/health/nutri...o/glutamin.htm

CLO source is an issue with soy.
Probiotic source is an issue with dairy.
Biotin is an issue if there are mercury issues in you or baby.

I'd hold off on rice or any grains when having major allergy issues.

I'd consider baby IgE to dairy, until a skin prick test with medical support available, tells otherwise. I would avoid ALL dairy casein completely.

Pat

P.S. Punchy Kaby, what an interesting observation with the vit A and D and CLO. thanks for sharing!

I have a blog.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Running out the door. Remind me, if I don't come back today. Here is a respected resource about L-glutamine: http://www.innvista.com/health/nutri...o/glutamin.htm

CLO source is an issue with soy.
Probiotic source is an issue with dairy.
Biotin is an issue if there are mercury issues in you or baby.

I'd hold off on rice or any grains when having major allergy issues.

I'd consider baby IgE to dairy, until a skin prick test with medical support available, tells otherwise. I would avoid ALL dairy casein completely.

Pat

P.S. Punchy Kaby, what an interesting observation with the vit A and D and CLO. thanks for sharing!
So - if CLO, Probiotics and Biotin are out - what do you advocate I do?

The Dr. told me Soy Lecithin is ok. I couldn't speak to her yesterday about her prescribing a lactose probiotic for my DD...will call today.

Actually - I never had Mercury fillings. If I am toxic for it via other sources - that is a different thing. If , pretend, either my DD or I am toxic for Mercury - then is biotin harmful for us or "just not useful"??

AND - I am afraid for my breastmilk - it is clearly dwindling
Old 02-18-2010, 03:36 PM

If soy is just an intolerance, most CLO is probably ok (except for the vit A/D issue). We use the fermented CLO. I believe some of the Nordic Naturals and Carlsons have been ok, but there are some recipe changes in the newer bottles, apparently. I'd do CLO, one way or another. But, I'd trial it separately from other changes, unless you had no issue last night with all the dosing.

Personally, I trust homeopathy, just not clear on your dosing regimen?

Kirkman's makes a dairy-free probiotic for infants. You want bifidum. If what you have isn't bifidum, I wouldn't give it.

Biotin is ok, if you don't have mercury, essentially.

Have you read about ways to increase milk supply?

Low Milk Supply

INCREASING YOUR MILK SUPPLY

The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk

Decreased Milk Production

Natural treatments for nursing moms

Insufficient Supply of Breastmilk

Herbal remedies for increasing milk supply

Fenugreek Seed for Increasing Milk Supply

Increasing Milk Supply

Fenugreek Tea

Protocol to Increase Breastmilk Intake by the Baby
("Not enough milk")

Domperidone - 1

Domperidone - 2

I believe that the ND's advice and opinions seem helpful.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:53 PM

Soy lecithin would NOT be okay.

Kirkman labs has cod liver oil that does not include soy.

I am rushing out but wanted to tell you to trust your instincts about everything mama and don't let others' sway you. YOU likely know more than the rest.

If I were you I'd go completely soy, dairy and whatever else you tested for-free.

I'd add a probiotic that does not have dairy - I cannot remember which ones are dairy free now but I'm sure you can easily find out.

I'd add kirkman's clo and I'd keep doing the NAET.

We did not do NAET but I know enough people who have had amazing success to recommend it. I also know that it depends on the practitioner too so if you are not 100% comfortable with yours look around.

Personally, at this point I would do the diet, the probiotics and the clo and wait on the rest.

Homeopathy is wonderful if you can find a Classically trained one. I have a recommendation for someone who does distance consults - pm me if you want her contact info. I wouldn't do the other yeast thing or the L-glutamine at this point. But that is just me.

How old is your dd?

One thing at a time. The diet change alone can do wonders. But no cheats! And I know it's hard. btdt. But you can do it. What a lucky child you have.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

This is the dr. http://www.drdarvish.com/about/staff.html

It isn't like I don't trust her - yet. In fact I got her recommendation from MDC and 3-4 members wrote highly of her.

My DD is 8.5 mo.

For milk - I tried MMP, fenug, oatstraw, shtavari, goat's rue, barley water, fennel, dill, oatmeal etc. before settling on Dom (100mg/day), Go-Lacta (moringay blend) and Oatmeal
Old 02-18-2010, 09:49 PM

I don't like her.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I don't like her.

Pat
Lol....

...errr....now I don't know what to make of your pronouncement. Wish you had gotten some good vibes from her - atleast then I would have had more faith in her regimen. Now I may need to search for a new doc and that was already very confounding. Le sigh!
Old 02-19-2010, 05:12 AM

I trust YOUR gut. Sit quietly and listen to your heart. It will guide you. YOU know your daughter best. You are her best advocate. There is no "right path", only that which feels right to you.

It isn't all or nothing. There is no expert out there to seek. Find resources which guide you when you need it and choose that which serves you. Part of that process is your own research, questioning, contemplation, trial and error, and learning during the process of exploration of the alternatives. What feels like choices moving toward health? Choose those individual steps. It isn't "do everything ND says" vs. "do nothing ND says". You are the expert about your daughter in this moment. You are listening to your daughter. If the ND listens to you, that is your guide. It is a partnership, a dance of discovery.

There is no "right path" to choose. You just take one step at a time. It will work out exactly as it needs to! Trust that you can follow your gut/heart.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Whew!

I so needed that!

Especially after the last couple of weeks. Thanks Pat
Old 02-19-2010, 05:01 PM

Yes, L-glutamine can cause crankiness and restlessness at night. It is an amino acid which is a primary fuel that the intestinal lining uses to repair itself.

Pharmax recommends the Neonate with lactose for the dairy intolerant. It does not contain the dairy protein casein. The probiotic strains (human strains, not bovine or soil or GMO) are grown on agar.

The company and the dieticians at Rockwell have a good track record. I think you should ask about your practitioner's experience with these probiotics before you dismiss them automatically. It's entirely possible they've been through this issue before.

Just make sure whatever probiotic you get is not grown on soy (GMO concerns) and not genetically engineered. I wonder how much of an issue probiotics that have been tinkered with have damaged our immune systems when they are supposed to be helping.

I would echo what was said above, you should definitely introduce things one at a time.

RE: low milk supply

Are you taking a calcium/mag. supplement? My milk supply went very low when I was dairy free and missed taking my supplements.

What are the fats in your diet? Quality fats are very important as they directly relate to type and amount of fat in your milk.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Yes, L-glutamine can cause crankiness and restlessness at night. It is an amino acid which is a primary fuel that the intestinal lining uses to repair itself.

Pharmax recommends the Neonate with lactose for the dairy intolerant. It does not contain the dairy protein casein. The probiotic strains (human strains, not bovine or soil or GMO) are grown on agar.

The company and the dieticians at Rockwell have a good track record. I think you should ask about your practitioner's experience with these probiotics before you dismiss them automatically. It's entirely possible they've been through this issue before.

RE: low milk supply

Are you taking a calcium/mag. supplement? My milk supply went very low when I was dairy free and missed taking my supplements.

What are the fats in your diet? Quality fats are very important as they directly relate to type and amount of fat in your milk.

Oh - thank you. So - I can give Neonate for my DD even though she is dairy allergic- correct?

And - I will get right on the CaMg supp and fats in my diet (right now few)
Old 02-19-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_Mom View Post
Oh - thank you. So - I can give Neonate for my DD even though she is dairy allergic- correct?

And - I will get right on the CaMg supp and fats in my diet (right now few)
I would double check with your practitioner!
Old 02-19-2010, 08:18 PM

My son has an IGE allergy to dairy, and I believe that he reacted badly to the Neonate. Just my experience...

-Kathy First time Mom to Son F, born April 30, 2009.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

AND - back to square one !

Anyway...my dear Dr. is out of town until Tuesday
Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 PM

By coincidence, I had the same question about the Pharmax HCL Neocate probiotic so I contacted Rockwell about the lactose. They confirmed what JaneS said about it being okay for dairy allergic babies as there is no dairy protein (the milk lactose is a sugar and they said they had personally not heard of any case where the lactose was a problem). Obviously everyone should do what they feel comfortable doing, but just wanted to pass that info along!

Mom to DS born 6/09 and DS2 born 6/12

Old 02-20-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

So -

As kooky as the Dr. was , her plan of approach seems sensible enough. OR am I wrong??

This is what she prescribed:

Cod Liver Oil - which we know is great for the vitamins, and to heal the gut. This is the "CLO Elite (orange flavored-yuck) and is free of dairy, yeast and other stuff but says "may contain soy"

L-Glutamine from Thorne Labs - which we know helps build the gut lining although no one has answered if it can be given to infants??

Homeopathy - Pleo Sab Cand drops which are Candida Albicans. This is to fight yeast and even though this would be the most suspicious in case my DD does NOT have yeast - it is homeopathic and there are supposed to be NO side effects

Pharmax HLC Neonate probiotics - this is supposed to be one of the better probiotics in the market. Rockwell is very reputable. Probiotics are supposed to crowd the gut with good bacteria so that the bad guys are thrown out (crowded out). No dysbiosis.
They have Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Infantis and Lactobacillus Paracasei in them. Have lactose.

So seemingly a good plan. Can somone think of what else we may be missing in healing the gut? She asked us to stop grains and fruit and up veggies and bm.

Only thing is - on tuesday I need to ask her about CLO having soy and Neonate haing lactose when my DD is soy/dairy allergic.

Any insights anyone?
Old 02-23-2010, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Funnily her poo diaper today was "more of undigested food" than normal. Should I chalk it up to a one time off incident or what?

I expected - with the glutamine and probiotics that her poo would be more "normal" with more food digested than thrown. I am a bit confused. Any insights?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:43 PM

A few questions - how do you know your milk supply is dwindling - because your DD is still hungry after nursing, or because she's not gaining weight? Not gaining is a common symptom of food intolerances and poor digestion around here (as is wanting to nurse all the time).

Personally, I'd be cautious on the l-glutamine, and cautious on directly supping most of those things except probiotics for your babe. If you take the CLO, the vites and EFAs will pass in your bm. I *think* l-glutamine will as well. For CLO, I'd pick a non-flavored one (no point adding more variables) - and the Carlson one I don't *think* has vitamins added back to it, so it's likely she just recommended it for the EFAs and not the vites.

But the primary thing I think is important for gut healing is getting rid of all the irritations. Sounds like you've pulled some of the common allergens/intolerances, but not all (not gluten, for example). I'd start eliminating foods from your diets and trying to find baseline that way, not just relying on doc testing (although I think that can be helpful).

For yeast, do you think you have a yeast issue? You might try probiotics for yourself as well...

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Old 02-24-2010, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you're doing yeast stuff, then you could have "die off". Means different things for different people.

Do you know if it's an allergy or an intolerance? Some allergy people can tolerate soybean oil and/or soybean lecithin, but not all. And my kids, soy intolerant, can't tolerate either of those (or lactose, or whey, or any part of the milk, not just the protein).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 02-24-2010, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
A few questions - how do you know your milk supply is dwindling - because your DD is still hungry after nursing, or because she's not gaining weight? Not gaining is a common symptom of food intolerances and poor digestion around here (as is wanting to nurse all the time).

Personally, I'd be cautious on the l-glutamine, and cautious on directly supping most of those things except probiotics for your babe. If you take the CLO, the vites and EFAs will pass in your bm. I *think* l-glutamine will as well. For CLO, I'd pick a non-flavored one (no point adding more variables) - and the Carlson one I don't *think* has vitamins added back to it, so it's likely she just recommended it for the EFAs and not the vites.

But the primary thing I think is important for gut healing is getting rid of all the irritations. Sounds like you've pulled some of the common allergens/intolerances, but not all (not gluten, for example). I'd start eliminating foods from your diets and trying to find baseline that way, not just relying on doc testing (although I think that can be helpful).

For yeast, do you think you have a yeast issue? You might try probiotics for yourself as well...
nak

we bought the clo from the doc. Elite clo.

she said soy lecithin is ok for my DD.

Also that my DD does NOT have wheat allergy. Shouldn't I trust that?

I never had yeast issues and don't now either. I don't even know what it means to have yeast issues or the symptoms.

User Tag List