Got to baseline but can't get back there - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2010, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ODD is on a TED. Has been since the beginning of December. Her foods are rice, quinoa, ground turkey, sweet potatoes, and pears. She also gets kosher salt, black pepper, and olive, canola, and safflower oil. On just those foods, she was doing great ~ sleeping better, solid poop (which we've never had in her, like, ever), no rashes, and pretty significant weight gain. So we did a few trials (eggs, apples, grapes, and peanut butter failed, carrots and ground beef passed). Grapes took a really really long time to clear (like, more than a week after only eating them for 2 days). Then I trialed eggs a second time because the first trial we weren't sure what caused the reaction. She ate two scrambled eggs over 3 weeks ago and still hasn't gone back to baseline. Her poop is still mushy at best We even removed pears, thinking that maybe she was getting too much fruit, and that didn't help. So now I'm not sure what to do. It seems like one of the foods she was fine with is now causing a reaction. Rice seems the most likely culprit as it is what she eats the most of, but I'm not even sure how to test it. She just can't lose another food at this point. She's been so good about the diet of 7 foods (now 6) for 2&1/2 months, and I can't see eliminating something else because I'm worried about nutrition

I'm starting to wonder if we should pursue some more invasive testing to find out if there is an underlying cause for her stool issues. She tested negative for celiac (though her IgG was elevated for gliaden), her iron is fine so she's not having issues with malabsorption, we've done IgE testing and it all came back negative, and we've done lots of stool testing to rule out parasites/bacteria. DH and I are thinking that, if there is not damage being caused by the chronic loose stool, we can be a little more aggressive with reintroduction of foods. There are some we won't give for sure, but right now we can't even trial anything at all because we can't get to baseline

Any thoughts? Would an endoscopy even show anything? Am I crazy for even considering it?

Sarah, loving wife to Michael (9/6/03), SAHM to my big girl Maya "Monkey" Grace (10/5/07) and my baby girl Charlotte "Bugsy" Mae (7/2/09) : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
She may be run down on nutrients. Grapes are very high in salicylates, and eggs are very high in sulfur. Those both use the same pathway for the body to clear, and if you are low in magnesium, molybdenum, or b6, that pathway won't work well. My guess is she was low in at least one, and then the food challenge tipped her over the edge. Poor sleep, bad poops, and rashes are all classic symptoms of salicylates sensitivity.

Try supplementing at least those three things:

- ideally B6 in combo with other B vitamins, and ideally in its active form, P5P - if you are nursing, you can pass B6 through your breastmilk

- molybdenum, you can get easy drops from Allergy Research Group/Nutricology

- magnesium - use any form besides magnesium oxide, and also try Epsom salts baths

If it is salicylates she's reacting to now, because some nutrient has run low, the cuplrits in her current diet would be olive oil, sweet potato, and black pepper. I'd take out the olive oil and black pepper first, and try to leave in the sweet potato. But if sals are the issue, supplementing would likely return her to where she was.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel

User Tag List