baked good recipe challenge- lots of allergies! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-21-2010, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for some sort of baked good type of recipe but my son has LOTS of allergies and intolerances. I'm trying to find somethig that I can bake and take with me for snacks, etc. on the run instead of having to take a cooler bag with me all the time! So, either some kind of bread, cookie, bar type of thing would be great!

Let me start with what he CAN have first: olive oil, maple syrup, oats, quinoa, hemp seed, hemp oil, tapioca starch, pears, grapes, yellow squash(and some other veggies). Right now potatoes and coconut are questionable so I'd rather stay clearn of them if possible.

He absolutely cannot tolerate any amount of dairy, soy, eggs, canola oil, safflower and sunflower oil, cane sugar, wheat, rice, corn, almonds, peanuts, beans of any kind and all meats. So, you can see how baking is a struggle!!

I appreciate any ideas and suggestions of things to make!!
Thanks in advance!
Valerie
#2 of 21 Old 02-21-2010, 07:15 PM

I bet you could make flapjacks (granola bar-style, not pancake style). They're basically rolled oats, liquid sweetener (maple syrup should work) and fat, all heated together, pressed into a pan with any mix-ins (raisins? diced dried pears? cinnamon? safe nuts/seeds?) then baked. Depending on how thick/thin and how hot/cool the oven is and how long you bake them, they come out either soft/chewy or hard and crunchy. Very much like an energy bar. I've also seen them topped with caramel and/or chocolate if you can come up with a safe way to do either of those...

You can google for recipes, it's been so long since I've made them, I don't remember the proportions.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#3 of 21 Old 02-21-2010, 09:03 PM

I was going to suggest granola or granola bars, too. (must be cuz we can't have them)

trail mix

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#4 of 21 Old 02-21-2010, 09:44 PM

http://funkyfoodallergies.blogspot.com/ I bet this blog would help you w/recipes w/ those ingredients. Her allergens:
Quote:
NO: Wheat-gluten, Soy,Corn, Dairy, Casein, Lactose, Peanuts, or Eggs
and if I remember right she rotates so her recipes are usually one grain based baked goods for example and I found them really easy to sub with what was safe for us.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#5 of 21 Old 02-21-2010, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so very much for the ideas!! Ya'll are life savers!! It's so hard with an 18 month old and all of these restrictions. The only good thing is that he really doesn't know any different!
#6 of 21 Old 02-22-2010, 12:07 AM

Chebe bread mix would work for you! We make the cheese kind for dd, all of the other mixes are dairy- (and wheat-, and nut-, and soy- and egg-) free--the base is tapioca flour. We use a gluten-free egg replacer, as dd can't do eggs either. www.chebe.com--you can also buy in bulk from Amazon.

If you don't have it, you might check out Jo Stepaniak's Food Allergy Survival Guide, which contains 100% vegan recipes free of all the major allergens (so no meat, eggs, dairy, fish, soy, nuts, corn, etc.). We actually still have to be very choosey about what we make, b/c dd is allergic to a number of "minor" allergens (peas, lentils, coconut, etc.), as well as the more common ones, but there's still a lot of stuff we can do, including a lot of baked goods. You can also play around with things. We buy a commercial gluten-free flour that we substitute for Jo's all-purpose mix, for instance, so that we can tailor it better to dd's particular allergens.
#7 of 21 Old 02-22-2010, 04:47 AM

We have lots of food allergies here too - I make my own flour blend from sorghum flour 1.5cp, tapicoa starch 1.5 cp, potato starch 1cp (bet you could use tapicoa instead though), quinoa flour 3/4 cp, and ground flax seed meal 1/4cp. The flax really helped once I started adding that - adds protein for the yeast to feed one - If something calls for dry milk powder I now replace it with flax seed meal.
I use EnerG egg replacer - which is tapicoa and potato starch, baking powder too I think....
Dairy I generally replace with olive oil for butter (sometimes with a dash of salt to replaced the SALTED butter) and either water or coconut milk for the milk in recipes. Often I use water simply cuz coconut flavored bread is not cool. You could also use hemp milk though - I won't cuz DS has a major soy allergy and teh Xcont scares me too much.
Sometimes i will add a tsp or so of Xathan gum to baked goods to help bind it together too...
We are sugarfree so I use agave nectar, honey, or sometimes Xylitol (but I think that is corn based). For breads, I will "bloom" my yeast first - and I tend to add about 1/4 tsp more yeast to the water/honey mixture cuz it doesn't bloom the same as it would with sugar....
I have made cookies - quinoa and more recently GF oatmeal ones - I use palmshortening to replace the butter but cut it back about a tbsp or so. But palm is in the same family as coconut so I doubt that would be a good option for you - cookies are all that I use it for honestly. Cakes, breads, etc all use olive oil here.

Basically I use regular recipes and just replace stuff - tweaking it each time I make it until I get it "right" Lowering the temp and increasing the baking timealso seemed to help dramatically.

are there any specific recipes you are looking to adapt?
#8 of 21 Old 02-22-2010, 04:57 AM

Just wanted to add- look intoEnjoyLife products.We LOVE their choc chips - which are cocoa butter based. They make granola, cereals, cereal bars, cookies, etc that are free from all the major allergens. I amnot sure what sort of sweetner they use but their choc is evap cane juice (which our doc has said is NOT sugar but a natural form like honey, maple syrup,etc) If only DS wasn't allergic to rice, we'd enjoy more of their stuff.

There was another brand of cookies that was GF,SF, and vegan - animals cracker cookies. Kinnikit or something like that. Used Rice flour so I don't remember exactly. Not sure their sugar either, but may be worth a look.

BTW - you may be able to do oatmeal cookies or oatmeal cookie bars (make the dough and bake it in a square cake dish) using olive oil or olive oil and apple sauce to replace the butter/shortening....I would just cut back the amount a little bit... Bake one cookie at a time and tweak the batter/dough until you get it "right"

There is also a great recipe on the box of quinoa flakes for cookies - YUMMMMMY! THink it calls for sugar, but sub maplesyrup and it will be super yummy
#9 of 21 Old 02-22-2010, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You could make tortillas (the one I make is sorghum flour and tapioca starch, palm shortening if that's okay, and sea salt, I think).

Do you already make your own baking powder?

Karaya gum (Wilton's "Gum-tex") is the only gum I've found that isn't a legume (guar) or corn (xanthan). And works about as well.

If you can do buckwheat, you can make buckwheat waffles and take those along (I always do a double batch and freeze leftovers for a toast-reheat later).

We have some of the same restrictions if you want to look at my recipes: www.kathysrecipebox.com.

What do you do for protein if he can't have eggs, dairy, meat, or legumes? buckwheat and millet have protein, but I didn't see those on your list. Or are hemp and quinoa good for protein? We can't have those so I don't know much about them.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#10 of 21 Old 02-22-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegirl7 View Post
Just wanted to add- look intoEnjoyLife products.We LOVE their choc chips - which are cocoa butter based. They make granola, cereals, cereal bars, cookies, etc that are free from all the major allergens. I amnot sure what sort of sweetner they use but their choc is evap cane juice (which our doc has said is NOT sugar but a natural form like honey, maple syrup,etc) If only DS wasn't allergic to rice, we'd enjoy more of their stuff.
We love Enjoy Life stuff, too, but most of their products contain sunflower/safflower oil, which the OP said her ds couldn't have. Evaporated cane juice IS made from sugar cane, so if her ds is actually allergic to it, they couldn't use the chocolate chips. If it's just a "we prefer not to use refined sugar" thing, then they might be okay. (Evap cane juice, like honey and other more natural sweeteners, also have exactly the same effect on the body as refined sugar--e.g., metabolize quickly, causing a "high" and then a crash; increase cravings for more sweets, etc.)

ETA: I think those Kinnikit animal crackers are made with pea flour (if they're the ones I'm thinking of). I remember getting all excited about them, and then realizing that dd couldn't have them after all.
#11 of 21 Old 02-22-2010, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, Quinoa and hemp are great sources of protein for a vegetarian type of diet. Right now that is really his only good source of protein. I'm grateful that he tolerates them pretty well so far. The only thing that kept him growing was me breastfeeding him up until Christmas. Now he gets a bottle of frozen EBM a day until I run out. I had to wean him as my health was really suffering on the TED. He only had about 7 foods that he could tolerate at the time, and at Christmas he lost 3 of those 7 foods! Unfortunately he has stopped gaining weight since then too. So, we are trying desperately to find protein sources for him.

I haven't tried buckwheat or sorghum with him yet, that would be a good thing to try soon. We tried spelt today, so we'll see what he looks like tomorrow after that. I also haven't tried palm shortening with him yet, so our only reliable oil/fat is olive oil.

For the sugar, he is not allergic to cane sugar, but he is extremely intolerant of it. Gives him loose stools and an instant diaper rash that looks like he's been burned and his skin actually peels off. It's awful!! He does the same thing with agave nectar. So far he does well with the pure maple syrup, thank goodness!!

I'm looking for things like cookies, bars, crackers, and breads. Things that I can make alot of ahead of time and be able to grab and go when needed.

You ladies are a wealth of information....I'm so glad I found this website!! Thank you!!

Valerie
#12 of 21 Old 02-23-2010, 07:06 PM

My kids eat a ton of muffins, and we have similar restrictions. After a few years, I've gotten good at substitutions. So what I'd suggest is that you look at a basic muffin recipe and just get started with substitutions. For some reason, muffins are almost impossible to mess up.

Instead of wheat flour, use any combination of flours that your son can tolerate. I usually use a basic 50/50 ratio of whole grain to starches. So in your case, I'd probably do half quinoa and half tapioca starch, substituting in other flours with the quinoa flour as he can tolerate them. When I bake for my kids, I often use rice, millet, sorghum, and buckwheat mixed with corn starch and tapioca starch. I use these because it adds a nice blend of fiber, protein, starch, and good taste. And some of those flours are nice budget savers for us. Of course, everyone's tastes are different, so use what you can and what you enjoy.

For oils, you can use any fruit or vegetable puree. I am not kidding. Experiment with what you have available. Some of my kids' favorite muffins use beet and zucchini puree. I also do a lot of muffins with plum puree, because we had a ton of them last summer. For an easy beginner substitution, try using pumpkin or sweet potato puree with extra cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice in the batter.

For eggs, you can always substitute with flax gel or egg replacer if your son can tolerate those. If not, consider more fruit puree and something to add some leavening.

If a recipe calls for milk, I substitute rice milk, soy milk, fruit juice, or water.

You can substitute honey, agave or maple syrup for refined sugar (use less than the sugar amount called for usually), but keep in mind that you'll need to adjust the liquid ratios in the recipe accordingly. As I've said, muffins are very forgiving, so eyeball the batter to see if it looks to be the proper consistency. If it's too runny, add more of your flour mixture and maybe a little more leavening. If it's too dry, more liquid is in order.

And in your beginner attempts, you may find that cocoa and chocolate chips are your best friends. My kids will eat any muffin that includes those two ingredients.

Good luck!

--Shawn
#13 of 21 Old 02-23-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhesp1212 View Post
Yes, Quinoa and hemp are great sources of protein for a vegetarian type of diet. Right now that is really his only good source of protein. I'm grateful that he tolerates them pretty well so far. The only thing that kept him growing was me breastfeeding him up until Christmas. Now he gets a bottle of frozen EBM a day until I run out. I had to wean him as my health was really suffering on the TED. He only had about 7 foods that he could tolerate at the time, and at Christmas he lost 3 of those 7 foods! Unfortunately he has stopped gaining weight since then too. So, we are trying desperately to find protein sources for him.

I haven't tried buckwheat or sorghum with him yet, that would be a good thing to try soon. We tried spelt today, so we'll see what he looks like tomorrow after that. I also haven't tried palm shortening with him yet, so our only reliable oil/fat is olive oil.

For the sugar, he is not allergic to cane sugar, but he is extremely intolerant of it. Gives him loose stools and an instant diaper rash that looks like he's been burned and his skin actually peels off. It's awful!! He does the same thing with agave nectar. So far he does well with the pure maple syrup, thank goodness!!

I'm looking for things like cookies, bars, crackers, and breads. Things that I can make alot of ahead of time and be able to grab and go when needed.

You ladies are a wealth of information....I'm so glad I found this website!! Thank you!!

Valerie
Isn't sorghum from beans??
#14 of 21 Old 02-24-2010, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Muffins- GENIUS!!! I hadn't even thought about trying that!! I just whipped up a batch of oat/hemp protein muffins. They are actually quite tastey and I even slipped in some yellow squash into them!! I'm so excited!! i added hemp protein powder as well as shelled hemp nuts, dried pears, raisins, pureed pears, oat flour and tapioca starch. Even DH liked them!! They'll pack a nice protein punch for him, which we are desperate for and will be easy to take along with us.

I also recently re-invented the pancake too!

Thanks ladies!!
Valerie
#15 of 21 Old 02-25-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Muffins- GENIUS!!! I hadn't even thought about trying that!! I just whipped up a batch of oat/hemp protein muffins. They are actually quite tastey and I even slipped in some yellow squash into them!! I'm so excited!! i added hemp protein powder as well as shelled hemp nuts, dried pears, raisins, pureed pears, oat flour and tapioca starch. Even DH liked them!! They'll pack a nice protein punch for him, which we are desperate for and will be easy to take along with us.

I also recently re-invented the pancake too!

Thanks ladies!!
Valerie
Did you post your re-invented pancake in the recipes?
#16 of 21 Old 02-25-2010, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casha'sMommy View Post
Isn't sorghum from beans??
No. Sorghum is a grass.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#17 of 21 Old 02-25-2010, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

casha's mommy- where is the recipe section??? I'd love to post my recipes and definitely look through some others!!
#18 of 21 Old 02-25-2010, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Up in Resources. It used to be its own sticky, but now it's under that.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#19 of 21 Old 02-25-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
No. Sorghum is a grass.
I'll bet I was thinking of guar gum when I posted that.
#20 of 21 Old 02-25-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
casha's mommy- where is the recipe section??? I'd love to post my recipes and definitely look through some others!!
Sorry, I should have specified. My apologies.
Aren't the recipes awesome though!
#21 of 21 Old 02-25-2010, 12:50 PM

This is a super easy recipe that we like- I think it meets all of the specifications not sure on the leavening. We use oat flour instead of rice flour and it turns out well.

http://www.wellsphere.com/celiac-dis...muffins/691752

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page