Does peanut allergy = mustard allergy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-22-2010, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone mentioned this to me when we found out DS is allergic to peanuts. I'm trying to find an answer, but having trouble.
#2 of 10 Old 02-22-2010, 01:15 PM

They're not in the same food family. I never heard of that connection. Did the person say why they would be connected? Usually when there is any kind of nut allergy (peanut or tree nut) they tell you to avoid all nuts because of the chance of cross contamination. But mustard? That one has me stumped!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 10 Old 02-22-2010, 04:24 PM

hmmmm... some people with nut allergies also react to seeds... and I guess mustard is a seed. But I've never heard that connection either.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#4 of 10 Old 02-22-2010, 04:28 PM

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#5 of 10 Old 02-22-2010, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

I thought it was strange, too! I think what really has me paranoid is that he had an allergic reaction to some honey mustard dressing earlier in the same day that he reacted to peanuts.
#6 of 10 Old 02-22-2010, 05:15 PM

I wonder if it's a peanuts cc'ing sesame seeds cc'ing mustard seeds thing? Or something like that?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#7 of 10 Old 02-22-2010, 09:18 PM

Sesame and tree nuts cross react and so likely mustard falls into a family w/sesame, tree nuts, peanuts, etc. in some shared proteins. At least that is the only way I could see a connection. However, even w/things like cashew and sesame which are highly cross reactive you can have an allergy of one w/out the other. It depends on which protein causes the reaction. So....even if there is a mustard/peanut overlap on some protein (if...I don't know/hadn't heard that) it does not mean all people w/peanut allergies will also be allergic to mustard seed.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#8 of 10 Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 AM

Mustard: Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Canola (rapeseed), Cauliflower, Celery Cabbage, Chinese Cabbage, Collard, Colza Shoots, Kale, Kohlrabi, Kraut, Horseradish, Mustard, Mustard Greens, Radish, Rutabaga, Turnips, Watercress.

Maybe someone knew someone who was allergic to both peanut and mustard, so made the leap that they were connected. I've done a bunch of searches and I haven't found a connection yet. Doesn't mean there isn't one but it's hard to find whatever it is.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#9 of 10 Old 02-23-2010, 03:58 PM

This is the only thing I found to link them and sesame is the link.

However, my son is extremely sesame allergic along with anaphylaxis to cashew and pistachio which cross react. He's also allergic to mango which falls in there I believe. I have never seen any of these other foods mentioned as dangerous or potentially allergenic for him. Also, he was negative to everything on the list below outside of the tree nuts and I've never seen a reaction to any of those including mustard. I was also not told that peanut and sesame cross at all and I don't believe usually they do (not that I'd feed a tree nut anaphylactic child peanuts).

Quote:
Sesame and other seeds are plant derived products, and have a number of different proteins that can cause an allergic response. Unfortunately, patients can react to one or all of the different proteins. Most of the allergenic proteins in sesame are shared by many plant derived foods, including peanut, legumes (including soybean), tree nuts, buckwheat, mustard seeds, kiwi, and certain spices.

It is important to note, however, that not all of the cross-reactivity causes clinical allergy.
http://www.theonlineallergist.com/in...esame_allergy/

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#10 of 10 Old 02-23-2010, 06:22 PM

I am severely allergic to peanuts but I can eat sesame seeds and mustard. So sometimes it can be related and sometimes not.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page