food challenge--what to expect--Update :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-28-2010, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD goes to the allergist on Tue and it seems likely that the allergist will be doing an egg challenge. This would be our first challenge and I am just wondering what to expect. Thanks!

Beth

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-01-2010, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Bump, anybody?

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#3 of 8 Old 03-02-2010, 03:03 AM

Are they going to skin test the egg first, or did you already have a skin test that showed no/low allergy and that's why they're doing a challenge?

We haven't done an in-office challenge before, so I'm not positive, but I think they have you consume a certain amount of the food and then you sit... and wait... and if no symptoms, you consume a larger amount, then sit... and wait... and so on.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#4 of 8 Old 03-02-2010, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Her skin test for eggs was negative for eggs 2 years ago, but 1.5 years ago she had the RAST and it showed egg as 7.22. She had the RAST again 6mos ago and it showed egg as .5, so considering it dropped over 6 in just a year the allergist I guess is assuming it will be nearly zero now. So, that is the reason for the test. Sounds like it is going to be long. I guess we better be prepared for a lengthy visit. Thanks.

Beth

#5 of 8 Old 03-02-2010, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

As it turned out I didn't need to know about what the food challenge would entail Her allergist wanted to do a skin test before proceeding with the challenge. She said the current belief is that the doctors really need to use both tests to get a good idea about the current state of the allergy (and as we know and she acknowledged that still doesn't tell the whole story sometimes). Anyway, she did the skin test and it came back highly positive When she was skin tested 2 years ago for egg it was negative. That was with a different allergist and this allergist said that she might have just been too young for it to show up. Anyway, I am disappointed. The doctor was surprised and disappointed as well.

The only good to come out of today's appointment is that even though I did not follow her advice and put dd on the Neocate she was very kind and supportive. She is a good allergist that really respects our choices and I feel lucky to have her.

Beth

#6 of 8 Old 03-02-2010, 09:04 PM

Sorry to hear that. The tests really are so unreliable.

We tested DD for eggs 3 times (2 blood, 1 skin)... all were negative even though she had previously reacted to them. The last allergist smirked at me because I kept asking them to test it- "see, no egg allergy." So I finally gave in an did an egg trial. We had really minor reactions, but only after eating them for a few consecutive days; no reaction if we just ate them once in a while. So I put them back into our diet on a rotation, since they're such a great source of nutrition. Then we went back and got another skin test (last month), and it was really positive for egg. And then a couple weeks later, DD got into the grocery bag on the way home from the store and cracked a couple eggs into her lap and she was covered in hives within about 15 minutes. All the while, she had been eating straight hard-boiled eggs with no issue. But I guess eggs are one of those things that some people can tolerate when it's well cooked, but be severely allergic to when raw. So the allergist said we could have them in baked goods (where they would be really, thoroughly cooked.)

Not that that works for everyone, but did the doc say you could try them in baked goods, or avoid altogether? Have you done a RAST for the eggs as well? That might give you a totally different answer than the skin test (although the skin test is probably more reliable.)

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#7 of 8 Old 03-02-2010, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Right now, she wants us to continue to avoid them. Her history with testing for eggs is this: At 10 months she tested negative on skin test. At 16 months her RAST came back 7.22 for egg. At 26 months her RAST came back .5 for egg. And now at 33 months she was tested highly positive on the skin test.

Between the skin testing at 10 months and the RAST at 16 months I tried several times to give her eggs and a couple of times she put them in her mouth but then would freak out and want to get down. She didn't show any strong reaction but perhaps had some redness around her mouth. It is hard to say though because she was nowhere near baseline at the time (at the time I didn't realize this, I was still new to the allergy game).

Anyway, I am going to follow the doc's advice. The hive on her back was big, there is not doubt that she reacted to it.

#8 of 8 Old 03-02-2010, 09:33 PM

How disappointing.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page