Home made Corned Beef?! March Chat - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1544 Old 03-02-2010, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyscoutmom View Post
I keep getting a sore throat - it's been going on for weeks. Any possible reasons why? Anything I can do to help it?

Sent out a letter to everyone I know about dd2, with pics. Going to see my mom on spring break for a week so I am hoping that maybe the pics will help her take dd2s food issues seriously. We'll see. I put it on Facebook too for the friends we go visit for dinner and stuff. I wasn't as graphic as I wanted to be about how awful it is when she gets something she shouldn't eat. I didn't want to scare them away totally. Just scare them enough to take her issues seriously.

Day 2 of this month and I am already 3 pages behind. Sigh.

Karen
the sore throat keeps happening to me too. No idea how to help. I think I have no immune system left or something.

I'm so sorry that you had to take such drastic measures as sending out graphic pictures. I hope they all wake up and smell the roses.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#62 of 1544 Old 03-02-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
Maybe she'd like to send the animals to this charity?

http://www.projectnightnight.org/
It says stuffed animals have to be new...

Jacq: If I kept reading down that same page I quoted, it went into it further and said that the corned beef was from their Jewish neighbors. But having it on St. Patrick's Day is definitely a Catholic thing, not a Jewish thing. Of course, now everyone celebrates St. Patricks Day, Catholic or not, because hardly anyone remembers what it's for, like most holy-days/holidays these days. Why am I so cynical today?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#63 of 1544 Old 03-02-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Oh, I'm sorry. The last time I looked into this charity (August), they said wash and send. Huh. I was going to encourage my students to do a service project collecting their old animals and books and sending them off.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#64 of 1544 Old 03-02-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyscoutmom View Post
I keep getting a sore throat - it's been going on for weeks. Any possible reasons why? Anything I can do to help it?

Sent out a letter to everyone I know about dd2, with pics. Going to see my mom on spring break for a week so I am hoping that maybe the pics will help her take dd2s food issues seriously. We'll see. I put it on Facebook too for the friends we go visit for dinner and stuff. I wasn't as graphic as I wanted to be about how awful it is when she gets something she shouldn't eat. I didn't want to scare them away totally. Just scare them enough to take her issues seriously.

Day 2 of this month and I am already 3 pages behind. Sigh.

Karen
My sore throat is due to Hashimoto's. I doubt (hope not) that's the case for you.

I'm hoping very much they "get it".

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#65 of 1544 Old 03-02-2010, 06:55 PM

JR, I know what you mean, but I have such a small, selected-for-oddness social circle that I'm not confronted with completely mainstream ideas often.

I am often quiet and choose to say nothing. People generally know I'm out in the weirdo fringe with my health ideas, and if someone brings something up and seems to be looking for ideas, I'll casually mention something. Mostly people don't follow up, but occasionally they do. My criteria often is, will this be a new idea for someone. One person I know has some concerns about her daughter, but she's pretty aware of of a lot of alternative-type approaches and knows where to get more information. I wouldn't suggest anything to her because I think she's got a broad enough knowledge/experience base to solve her own problems. Most people, though, haven't considered stuff like cutting out dairy for ear infections, so I'll mention it, but just once.

Being open to new ideas, being in a mode to seek new solutions, was a big part of my seeing new ideas.
#66 of 1544 Old 03-02-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Jacq: If I kept reading down that same page I quoted, it went into it further and said that the corned beef was from their Jewish neighbors. But having it on St. Patrick's Day is definitely a Catholic thing, not a Jewish thing. Of course, now everyone celebrates St. Patricks Day, Catholic or not, because hardly anyone remembers what it's for, like most holy-days/holidays these days. Why am I so cynical today?
It actually says that for the "Adopt a Night" program they can be gently used.

"- Stuffed Animals smaller than 30 inches. Stuffed animals must be NEW ONLY at this time. (Stuffed animals used in our Adopt a Night
Night Package program may be "like-new."

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#67 of 1544 Old 03-02-2010, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes, but I was talking about the corned beef itself, not the day.
As for the "holy day" of St. Patrick's... You don't want to get me started. Suffice it to say that I once offended a lot of people I know by saying that anyone who's Irish should wear black on that day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
JR, I know what you mean, but I have such a small, selected-for-oddness social circle that I'm not confronted with completely mainstream ideas often.

I am often quiet and choose to say nothing. People generally know I'm out in the weirdo fringe with my health ideas, and if someone brings something up and seems to be looking for ideas, I'll casually mention something. Mostly people don't follow up, but occasionally they do. My criteria often is, will this be a new idea for someone. One person I know has some concerns about her daughter, but she's pretty aware of of a lot of alternative-type approaches and knows where to get more information. I wouldn't suggest anything to her because I think she's got a broad enough knowledge/experience base to solve her own problems. Most people, though, haven't considered stuff like cutting out dairy for ear infections, so I'll mention it, but just once.

Being open to new ideas, being in a mode to seek new solutions, was a big part of my seeing new ideas.
As stressful as my life is with the balancing and trying not to be a hypocrite, I wouldn't change it. Many of the people with whom I am friends are completely mainstream and see a lot of the things I do as "wacky" and "out there"- I'm often the "weird friend". Like you, I'll mention an idea once and then leave it at that. Honestly, that's all it takes. EVERY time the topic comes up after that, I'll see them glancing at me. All you have to do is plant the seed.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#68 of 1544 Old 03-02-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I totally get what you're saying, but in mainstream America the question would be- why would you WANT to keep your kid from seeing the doctor? There's something wrong with your kid, the doctor can fix it. Why wouldn't you do that? Obviously we've lost touch with taking care of things ourselves in this modern, quick-fix world. It seems to be easier/better, but people just aren't looking at the long-term effects of handing over our healthcare (and food, and everything else) to someone else. I could go on and on....

And I'm also one that grew up very mainstream, run to the doctor at the first hint of illness for abx, eat whatever fast/easy food is in the grocery store, etc.... And I'm only here now because of DD's health issues. All I'm saying is that it's not so easy to change that mindset. Why not go for quicker/easier/let someone else make the decisions and take responsibility for my life- route? People need a reason to change.

Ok, off soapbox now...
I totally agree. People do NOT want the responsibility for their own health b/c it implies action on their part. It is *much* easier to go to the doctor and then complain when he can't fix xyz or when 2,000 rxs cost $1,000,000. It's the American Way.

I've definitely had enough experience where MDs could not find the source of my problems for me to have lost faith before my kids issues. However, it wasn't until my kids that I had the "urgency" to find another way. I just sort of went along for the ride. I think a lot of others are like that. The system doesn't really work for them but forging a new path is difficult.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#69 of 1544 Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
It really will take a cultural change for people to believe that they can affect their own health though. I truly believe it's part of our culture to believe that most aspects of health are unalterable. We do not _truly_ believe that food affects health. If we did, would we feed our children like we do? (cultural 'we' since everyone here knows food affects adults and children)

I think the twin weaknesses of our health system are that a) there aren't a lot of solutions, except pharmaceutical for illness (on the part of both doctors and parents), and b) I don't think that our medical system _wants_ to shift responsibility to the individual. The vaccination issue? The _general_ tendency of doctors to want people to do what they tell them? I've found doctors, pediatricians, in fact, who listen to me and recommend things and don't get offended when I disagree, but I don't think that's the norm.

I was a pretty normal person, before all this. I think it's causing increasing problems in the mainstream medical community that people like me are not having our health issues successfully addressed in their model of medicine, and we're going elsewhere and essentially becoming buffet consumers of healthcare advice. The fact that *I* could get to this point means it's really a growing phenomenon, my upbringing wasn't distinctly unconventional. I think it's going to be rough going for a couple decades as we deal with the bumps and thumps this process will take.
can I add a C) to your explanation? I really think our educational system in general teaches people to look to an expert authority for guidance/direction, and D) (okay, adding a D too) to conform to others perceptions/fit in/ suppress ones personal radar on many things...this has spilled over into many aspects of life; generally, people don't want the responsibility of making their own decisions and then living with the consequences. It's easier (and more comfortable --once you get over ignoring your inner intuition) to hand that control over to an expert. Then, you're not completely responsible for your choices--you've got someone to blame if something goes wrong. In general, I find most mainstream Americans very uncomfortable with autonomy. Just my .02$. I will add that media and other venues help to reinforce this. I'll also add that I've known many mavericks who have broken out of the socialized mores.

to those with sore throats, I had on again off again sore throats for quite awhile before addressing candida (which I'm sure is still there lurking).

Pat, I am so sorry for your friend's family. Healing vibes...
My cousin is in surgery for a defibrilator this afternoon. She's off the ventilator and at a Children's Hospital now.

Talked to DH and he said the Homeschool Day at the Capitol was a smashing success!!! The Speaker of the HOuse is a HS dad, as is one Senator. The governor spoke telling them how great she is. But here's the kicker...They were expecting around 500 people there and there were in betwenn 1500 and 2000!!! it makes me think of Horton Hears a Who; "We are HERE!" the kids were so excited. I didn't realize, but apparently there are around 30,000 registered HSers in our state. Anyway, just thought it was cool.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#70 of 1544 Old 03-02-2010, 07:55 PM

JR are you Libra?

People are just busy, rushed and trying to keep up with life's expectations.

I agree with Dannic about school.

Pat

I have a blog.
#71 of 1544 Old 03-02-2010, 07:57 PM

Unschooler!
#72 of 1544 Old 03-02-2010, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
JR are you Libra?

People are just busy, rushed and trying to keep up with life's expectations.

I agree with Dannic about school.

Pat
Nope, but funny you say that. It's my ascending sign. Hilarious, since I'm Aries (though barely- I am five minutes Aries. )

eta: For those of you unfamiliar with astrology, the ascendant is how you present yourself to the world while your sun sign is basically your "true self". Mine are directly opposing each other.

#73 of 1544 Old 03-02-2010, 08:11 PM

Calling Pat or tanya--fermenting experts...so I made my kimchee on Friday, it sat on the counter til Monday mid day. It wasn't all covered by liquid and there wasn't any noticeable mold. I ate some today and my stomach or intestines have sorta been cramping ever since (not too much, but still). Is this just a coincidence/displacement/or ferment gone bad? It tastes really good. I don't want to throw it out. (2 quarts) I wasnt some right now, lol. WDYT? THX!

typos likely

#74 of 1544 Old 03-02-2010, 08:41 PM

I think if it smells fine and tastes fine, it _is_ fine. Not everyone pushes the veggies under the level of the liquid, I have a tendency to see mold grow if I don't, but I know other people don't.

So, the bump is closer to DD's wrist than I thought, I will ask at our upcoming appointment but I think it's likely it's a ganglion cyst. They happen at wrists usually, I guess occasionally ankles, but they're supposed to be benign. Seems to me like there's a reason, so I need to think on this a bit. She doesn't have repetitive activities that would be a mechanical source, so it seems like something, but if our doc agrees (nice that we have an appt coming up in a couple weeks, I need to make a list at this point so I don't forget stuff), then it's not urgent and I can think on this for a while.
#75 of 1544 Old 03-02-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post

to those with sore throats, I had on again off again sore throats for quite awhile before addressing candida (which I'm sure is still there lurking).
What did you do to address is?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#76 of 1544 Old 03-02-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Re: supplement purchasing

I adore IHerb. I'm now a VIP so I get 10% off $60 orders and 12% off $120. I've been ordering monthly for many years and only had 2 problems which they quickly corrected. If anyone wants my referral code to save $5 off first order, PM me.

Otherwise I get our CLO from Radiant Life and DS's salmon oil vitamin D from Vital Choice. I just use whatever vitamin D is lanolin derived D3 I can find. I've done Carlson's drops in past... Tanya would those work for you guys? I've been getting a free bottle of 30 - 5000 IU from IHerb several months in a row, they have a Free and Trials section that's always fun.

Aren't you all so proud of me I combined my thoughts into one instead of serial posting like I usually do??

Serial posting is fine, serial posters are GREAT people.
about the mold and the house and the stbx issues. just

About the vitamin D.... I give the kids Carlson Ddrops, those work fine, but I'd rather have a pill for myself, I don't do great getting the right # of drops in my mouth and I think it will increase DH's compliance. I thought you were the one who was concerned somehow about dry Ds, so I was wondering about the powdered D capsules. But otherwise, that seems like such an easy way to go. The capsule (not gel-cap, I mean) Ds I've seen are lanolin.

And yay for no more dizziness! Don't know if anything I took helped, or it just faded on its own, but yay!
#77 of 1544 Old 03-02-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
What did you do to address is?
Sheesh. I have a tendency towards yeast, esp in pregnancy. So the first time I went on a strict candida diet, did GSE, probiotics, ect. The last time, I couldn't get a handle on it, in spite of being gf.cf. for over a yr...The only two things that really touched it was three lac and lemon essential oil. It got rid of my thrush that was present for a yr. thing is that it's coming back now that I'm pregnant--I have just little signs that there's an imbalance. I need to work on this more.

tanya, am glad the dizzy spell worked itself out (with or without your help!)

typos likely

#78 of 1544 Old 03-02-2010, 10:32 PM

my head's been kinda fuzzy today, sorry Chlobo. I realize my answer isn't very coherent.

typos likely

#79 of 1544 Old 03-02-2010, 11:37 PM

dannic- I've never done kimchee, but I know with any other natural ferments, it can cause some tummy upset when you start it for sure!! Just like taking a big dose of probiotics, it can make you gassy as things get killed off and recolonized.

Quote:
So, the bump is closer to DD's wrist than I thought, I will ask at our upcoming appointment but I think it's likely it's a ganglion cyst. They happen at wrists usually, I guess occasionally ankles, but they're supposed to be benign. Seems to me like there's a reason, so I need to think on this a bit. She doesn't have repetitive activities that would be a mechanical source, so it seems like something, but if our doc agrees (nice that we have an appt coming up in a couple weeks, I need to make a list at this point so I don't forget stuff), then it's not urgent and I can think on this for a while.
Yeah- that's what they said DD's was too (but that was a guess- they really didn't have a clue.) Let me know if you find out anything interesting.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#80 of 1544 Old 03-02-2010, 11:54 PM

CS, I assumed they weren't the same (I went back and read your old thread while trying to gt some ideas) because your DD's was so hard, and DD's is pretty soft.

I think I remember something about homeopathic miasms, one type tends toward cysts and tumors and a bunch of stuff that I had a hard time translating into concrete health concerns. I finally did, I think DH fits, and so it sorta makes sense that this could come up with DD, but I still think I need to figure it out. In older folks it tends to go along with osteoarthritis, which DH's family is prone to, so somehow, it seems like I should find clues to minerals involved. Since I've been reading the tissue salts thread, I'm leaning toward getting the book and maybe a set of tissue salts, since it seems like they help both physically and somewhat energetically.

I can't tell if this is a coincidence or not, this coming up in the short time period after her acupuncture visit... I'm not going to suggest that to her, especially since it's total speculation on my part.
#81 of 1544 Old 03-03-2010, 12:22 AM

Well, if it's the kimchee, then wow! I feel like I've got the flu comin on. I wasn't exactly sparing of it...I had about 1/3 cup. I guess I'll try to work up to it. if i start throwing up, I'll assume I've got the bug dd2 had last week.

typos likely

#82 of 1544 Old 03-03-2010, 01:04 AM

http://blog.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.info/

The latest posts are about autoimmune thyroid conditions and food chemical sensitivity (JR, do I have your attention?)

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#83 of 1544 Old 03-03-2010, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
http://blog.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.info/

The latest posts are about autoimmune thyroid conditions and food chemical sensitivity (JR, do I have your attention?)
It looks like she's saying (other than gluten) her food sensitivities are caused by her thyroid levels being "off". Is that what you get from it as well? Also, did you see the post about "ADHD" and hypothyroidism? You know DS1 has an ADHD dx?

#84 of 1544 Old 03-03-2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
It looks like she's saying (other than gluten) her food sensitivities are caused by her thyroid levels being "off". Is that what you get from it as well? Also, did you see the post about "ADHD" and hypothyroidism? You know DS1 has an ADHD dx?
I didn't actually read much of it just know that she was touting failsafe as the end-all-be-all diet that just works and that there's nothing you can do about your tolerances, but now here she is, getting rid of her own extreme sensitivities. There are some posts about nutrients, too, like folate and B12 (plus others) and how they help thyroid hormone get into cells and how she's fixing her sensitivity to those nutrients as well... If you have time, interesting reading. I don't have time right now She also has past posts about ADHD/ADD and dopamine which are pretty interesting...

eta: another big epsom salt bath for me, this time *after* dd was in bed. for more good sleep! (The rub-on epsom salts didn't do much)

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#85 of 1544 Old 03-03-2010, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I was reading the B12/folate thing with interest. Thanks for the link (again).
Sleep well!

#86 of 1544 Old 03-03-2010, 11:04 AM

Hi ladies. I will NOW (not "not" as I previously wrote. sheesh.) attempt to keep up in chat. I really can't venture outside this thread though, because of the state of affairs of the rest of the site.

Our in-a-nutshell update is:

We finally took Lily to the ND. Got stool & blood testing. Bottom line: disbyosis, but no yeast. bifido & lacto bac are both high. high h. pylori, low stomach acid, incomplete digestion (all related, I know). high serum calcium. Vit D level was 77 so he told us to stop supp'ing (we've been doing 1000ius/day for both girls). We are still supping ATM.

I think her high serum calcium is troubling. The ND claims it means she's high in calcium and we should not give her high calcium supps or vit d (since it increases calcium absorption). But, I'm pretty sure our NP told me serum calcium was unreliable, when I asked her about blood testing last year. I wonder if her serum calcium is high due to the oxalates needing the calcium to bind to make (ta da!) calcium oxalate?

I'm frustrated with the ND and his solution to throw a million supplements at us. One of which had gluten in it (after he swore everything was allergy-free). I should have been wary, though, since he tried to give me a children's vit with soy in it after again assuring me it was everything-free (even said "contains: soy" on the jar. ugh.).

A few days after seeing him, but before we got the test results back, we tried a Low Oxalate Diet (LOD) and it works. And we finally figured out why the strict failsafe diet worked for us, but once we trialed sals & amines we were seeing inconsistent reactions. I thought it was a threshold thing, but I don't think so. The FAILSAFE diet is mostly low-ox, if you stay off the celery, which DD hates, and you stick to rice as your grain, which we were).

It drives me crazy that Emma from PPARS is all "FAILSAFE is the ONLY thing that works. And it's FOREVER." She mentioned oxalates, but dismisses them because the diet is "so similar" to FAILSAFE. She posits that people who see benefits from LOD are actually seeing benefits from reduction of sals/amines/gluts... Arg. That was one of the reasons I didn't pursue oxalates originally. The FAILSAFE seemed to work and I was convinced we had amine issues. (Which we don't, I don't think, b/c we can have coconut, avocado, olive oil, smoked fish, long simmered bone broth, sauerkraut, vinegar, etc...) We may be sals sensitive, but our sals are naturally pretty low, so I guess it doesn't matter right now.

Shannon! I can't believe you are so close to baby! I'll share my meaningless data plots with you: Lily was induced (w/o my explicit consent) 10days overdue, born the next day. Aevryn was born 4 days before her due date, all on her own. So, basically, what you said, babies will come pretty much whenever.

Hi to everyone else. I've kept up with a few of you on FB, but am happy to catch up with those I haven't seen. And I'm very happy have more in-depth discussions again. And of course, those of you I don't know, I look forward to "meeting" you.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!
#87 of 1544 Old 03-03-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

I've had about an hour of sleep and I'm pretty bitchy about it.
Got dh up to watch ds3 so I could try to get ds2 to sleep. Then ds1 got up for the day so ds2 decided he didn't need to sleep so now dh's sleeping on the couch and all the kids are up.

eta: sent dh back to bed. i won't be able to sleep anyway with the kids up so there's no point in both of us being miserable. he was only dozing on the couch.

also menomena!!

#88 of 1544 Old 03-03-2010, 11:29 AM

JR - I do have thyroid issues. It is kind of always hovering on the verge of barely functioning. My mom has graves disease and so did my grandma. So probably it is really inevitable genetically that it will one day go wonky. I like to blame the weight gain on it though.

As for the very interesting discussion on mainstream health . . . I am only now here because of my dd and have learned a lot. I have come to believe that our food is crap, our healthcare is crap, and that greed is destroying us all healthwise. And yes, we have become so dependent on others (which I think is how some people actually like it) unlike our ancestors who were much more knowledgeable and resilient. It is a huge paradigm shift to undertake.

I read this book called Enchantment by Orson Scott Card . . . it is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty and in it women are portrayed as being very mystical and intuitive. It struck me as beautiful many years ago. Now I mourn the loss of all that and hope to keep trying to cultivate it in myself.

And it is very hard for me now in my family and circle of friends because my knowledge is so different . . . I can't help though but look at all the drugs that have been recalled and think, why should I really trust the pharma companies. And they influence so much about current medical practice. And then I have seen first hand how dietary changes have helped my family, helped me. 37 years of really crappy health . . . whatever they were doing wasn't helping. And it irks me to no end that they keep just throwing stuff out there for sale (and into our environment) without really knowing what it will do to us and people think just because it's for sale then it must be okay. Someone has to approve it, right? But who and why are good questions to ask yourself.

Can the movable bump be a cyst of some sort?

Hugs,
Karen
#89 of 1544 Old 03-03-2010, 11:31 AM

Hi menomena, good to hear from you here again.

I don't know anything about how oxalate issues may affect serum calcium, but I think your NP saying serum calcium is "unreliable" means it's not an indicator of overall body status of calcium. But it _is_ supposed to be fairly tightly controlled, and being above the ref range isn't normal. One possibility, and I really don't know how likely it is in your case, is parathyroid problems. sbgrace has posted links and such on parathyroid issues. There _have_ to be other reasons serum calcium would go high, I just don't know them.

... In other news, today is going to be crazy busy. Ugh. Getting sick (or whatever the heck that was going on) is so inconvenient. I need to gather a bunch of supplies to give the kids hands-on experience with simple machines (pulleys, wedges, levers, inclined planes, screws, and wheel/axle). And then I need to drop them off mid/late afternoon with DH so I can go to my new acupuncturist who's in a part of town I'm not very familiar with. Joy, but I do love the needles.

JR
#90 of 1544 Old 03-03-2010, 11:37 AM

JR! :

Quote:
One possibility, and I really don't know how likely it is in your case, is parathyroid problems. sbgrace has posted links and such on parathyroid issues. There _have_ to be other reasons serum calcium would go high, I just don't know them.
Hi Tanya! Sorry you're sick. We just had a yucky-poop-bug go through the whole house. Not fun. Simple machines sound fun, though!

Okay, so maybe I should focus my research efforts on causes of high calcium... Interestingly enough, the blood test the ND had done showed that her thyroid function was good except for one form of one of the Ts (total T4?). He wants to retest in a few months and see what the free T4 is, I think. He said it could indicate a lowered thyroid function, but he'd need more info. I will look up parathyroid stuff tonight, thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Nessa, DD1 (5) DD2 (3) & expecting again in late February/early March!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page