Home made Corned Beef?! March Chat - Page 52 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1531 of 1544 Old 04-01-2010, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just got a note from my doctor about lab test results (haven't gotten the full test results yet- should get them tomorrow or Friday.) She wrote that my liver & kidney panels were fine, and that my D level is 52- but she still strongly suggests that I stop taking so much D every day. (Even though my level is exactly the same as it was last fall, so obviously I'm taking exactly what my body needs!) And then the only 2 actual results she wrote down were for my hematocrit and TSH- but she put normal next to both. My hematocrit is 37%, which is borderline anemic (again. ) And my TSH is 2.31, which after some reading seems like it's NOT normal given all my recent symptoms (weight gain, debilatating fatigue, etc etc etc). I hate doctors. So now I have to make another appointment and try to convince this endocrinologist (read= thyroid "expert") that she needs to do a full thyroid panel on me like I originally asked her to, and to figure out why I keep becoming anemic when I eat red meat 2 meals a day, cook on cast iron, etc. There has to be something else going on.

Any thoughts about those 2 numbers? JR- in your thyroid expertise- am I actually in a normal range, or should I push for more testing?

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#1532 of 1544 Old 04-01-2010, 12:26 AM

I've been blathering on and on in the Chelating Jack thread, so I haven't blathered as much here as usual today. Plus, yay, my mood is getting better, so I'm actually getting some stuff done around here.

But boo! the mosquitoes are back. It's Houston, they are thick through half the year, and, well, it's that half again. I should check the schedule as for when the chemical-spraying trucks are going to start up--no, I'm not making that up, once a week or so a truck comes through the neighborhood late at night spraying chemicals out the back to kill the mosquitoes.

CS--my 2 cents is that 2.31 with symptoms is indicative of an issue, but how you treat it would vary. Do you want Synthroid, in order to feel good/functional? I can understand needing to not feel so bad. If it's a regular endo, they won't have other ideas for making your body work better. Childcare is probably an issue for the acupuncture, right? Cause I think the needles have mellowed me in the past few weeks, and my mood is continuing to improve, though there are other things combining to help that. You may have to work to get a whole panel run; the endo office I saw was very numbers oriented, and it took me pointing out... 1.05, 1.55, 2.4, 4.3 as an increasing TSH pattern before they'd do anything.

As for the iron--weird, very weird, I don't understand that at all, but yes, I think you need to run that down. You don't think you have any bleeding in your GI tract, do you? What anemia test is it? Um, in order to have happy red blood cells, you need iron, copper, and B12. You think you've got plenty (too much) copper, right? Any ideas on B12? Beyond that, I'm clueless.
#1533 of 1544 Old 04-01-2010, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
But boo! the mosquitoes are back. It's Houston, they are thick through half the year, and, well, it's that half again. I should check the schedule as for when the chemical-spraying trucks are going to start up--no, I'm not making that up, once a week or so a truck comes through the neighborhood late at night spraying chemicals out the back to kill the mosquitoes.

CS--my 2 cents is that 2.31 with symptoms is indicative of an issue, but how you treat it would vary. Do you want Synthroid, in order to feel good/functional? I can understand needing to not feel so bad. If it's a regular endo, they won't have other ideas for making your body work better. Childcare is probably an issue for the acupuncture, right? Cause I think the needles have mellowed me in the past few weeks, and my mood is continuing to improve, though there are other things combining to help that. You may have to work to get a whole panel run; the endo office I saw was very numbers oriented, and it took me pointing out... 1.05, 1.55, 2.4, 4.3 as an increasing TSH pattern before they'd do anything.

As for the iron--weird, very weird, I don't understand that at all, but yes, I think you need to run that down. You don't think you have any bleeding in your GI tract, do you? What anemia test is it? Um, in order to have happy red blood cells, you need iron, copper, and B12. You think you've got plenty (too much) copper, right? Any ideas on B12? Beyond that, I'm clueless.
They spray for mosquitoes in Winnipeg too, Tanya. There are some neighbourhoods which petitioned and won the right to not be sprayed.

Pretty much a big to everything Tanya said, CS. I'm betting B12 may be the issue for you- it was low in some other test, right?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#1534 of 1544 Old 04-01-2010, 01:25 AM

I'm not sure that I've ever had my B12 tested. But I was supping for a while (a sublingual), so I can't imagine that I would be too deficient.
I don't have any obvious bleeding in my digestive track.... did have heavier periods with the IUD, but not to the point where I would consider them abnormally heavy (where it would be an issue.) I can't think of any other reason why my blood count would keep dropping like that. Bleh. I am losing my train of thought halfway through each sentence. I am so out of it half the time, and so tired. So yeah- I would enjoy feeling better. I know nothing about synthroid though.. need to read up. I really need to get this stuff figured out though and get myself back up to somewhat-normal health. Our TTC plans were supposed to be for this spring....

And yuck about the mosquito spraying.

#1535 of 1544 Old 04-01-2010, 01:38 AM

CS, Dr. Yasko sells a ton of B12 supps - maybe these sublingual drops would work for you, the base is palm glycerin? Citric acid too, but maybe less risky than some of the other choices? They come in hydroxy, methyl, and adenosyl b12.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#1536 of 1544 Old 04-01-2010, 01:46 AM

Can't do palm. I was doing the Source Naturals sublingual (which most likely have corn derivatives, but DD seemed ok with me taking them.) But I was also doing the sublingual during/before/after the time my iron tested WAY low and I had to supplement ferrous sulfate. Which makes me think that B12 isn't the issue. Plus, lamb is a "good" source (according to WHFoods) of B12, and I eat that every day. Oh look at that- their "food of the week" is lamb. Funny. An OT (or maybe not?)- my gums have been bleeding (pretty profusely) all of a sudden- just in the last few days. I am completely falling apart.

#1537 of 1544 Old 04-01-2010, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Exploring this site tonight.

ETA: From there:
Quote:
A deficiency of vitamin B-6 may be recognized by anemia, convulsions, headaches, nausea, flaky skin, a sore tongue, and vomiting. Other possible signs of deficiency include acne, anorexia, arthritis, conjunctivitis, cracks or sores on the mouth and lips, depression, dizziness, fatigue, hyper-irritability, impaired wound healing, inflammation of the mouth and gums, learning difficulties, weak memory, hair loss, hearing problems, numbness, oily facial skin, stunted growth, and tingling sensations. Carpal tunnel syndrome has been linked to a deficiency of vitamin B6 as well.
Also:
Quote:
Iron deficiency can contribute to hypothyroidism, which can contribute to altered mental state. This is due to irons role in the conversion of phenylalanine to tyrosine (a precursor of thyroid hormones).

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#1538 of 1544 Old 04-01-2010, 08:14 AM

I've got nothing to add, Jessica, but something is going on for sure. Have you been stool tested and all that or only DD?

Going to a funeral today (DH's step-grandmother, but the only grandmother he had since both his real ones died in their 40s). Just going to the service, because there's a luncheon afterwards and I didn't want to make a big deal about not being able to eat anything. Then off to the lake for the gorgeous (70s) weekend. I just need to decompress. I'm feeling very stressed lately, and I've been forgetting to take my anti-inflammatory/Mg until about 3pm for the last two days which means I'm only getting 2 out of 3 doses, so I've had increasing anxiety. I know, I know, I need to remember, but I'm going through one of those phases where I'm not hungry until dinnertime so I forget to take the pills. I've got to start the lemon water again because I think that helped my back, oddly, but it tastes gross. Any ideas to make it more palatable?

I had awesome coconut milk flan (coconut milk, eggs, salt, vanilla, sugar) from a Whole Foods recipe last night. I added 2 Tbs. of vanilla, that was the only change I made.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#1539 of 1544 Old 04-01-2010, 10:31 AM

JR--wow, I never would've guessed anywhere in CA would spray for mosquitoes.

Kathy--would something like, maybe soup-like help? I've been wondering if I should start making congee aka gruel, overnight for the kids in the morning, along with our regular breakfast. Something's going on, what does your osteo think? He seems good, when do you get the lyme results? When did you stop the zinc? And where was the k/cal supp in the whole timeline?

So, DH is taking a vacation day today, and this being Texas, Good Friday is a holiday for many folks including him, so it's a 4-day weekend, woo-hoo! We hope to do a lot of work out in the yard--a lot for us, which is not a lot for most folks, but it'll spiffy up the place, which is sorely needed. I think even our hibiscus died in the hard freeze.

Having food in the freezer is so cool! I forgot that we had some chili leftovers til early this past week, then I had dinner w/o any effort. I want to try to do that again, maybe this weekend--deliberately making leftovers for the freezer, I mean. So freeing.

Interesting thing--my acupuncturist told me that one way to see adrenal issues (kidney issues in TCM) is to look for an indent line down the middle of the tongue. I thought everyone had that, but the kids look quite different in that regard, DD's is more. And interestingly, mine is a lot more noticeable than DH's--hmm.... maybe, like he tells me, he really just needs low carb to lose weight and then he'll feel better. I've been doing better this week, but freezer meals would make it easier.

Hope everyone has a great day, we're going to be going to a friend's for quite a while today, DH will get quiet time at home to work.
#1540 of 1544 Old 04-01-2010, 12:08 PM

Thanks JR- that's interesting. I've been taking a b-complex for months and months.... so there's another thing that shouldn't be deficient. But who knows. I'm SO not looking forward to making another appointment with this doctor.

Hope you have a good weekend at the lake Kathy. That sounds nice. We need to plan our weekend ocean trip in the next couple weeks; I'm feeling the need for a weekend out of town too.

#1541 of 1544 Old 04-01-2010, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

APRIL!!

#1542 of 1544 Old 04-01-2010, 02:18 PM

Tanya, yuck ,yuck! Last yr, we had no rain and no bugs...it was nice in that respect. this yr, we've had lots of much-needed rain and the buggers are coming, coming, coming to get us!!!

CS, wow, weird that iron stuff. NO fun.

I have a friend from college coming by tomorrow for a few hours so trying to clean, must get groceries, ect.

This weekend is supposed to be rainy, WINDY, stormy and I want to play in the garden. I'll probably need to just make food all day for Easter instead. It is always yucky the day before Easter here.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#1543 of 1544 Old 04-01-2010, 02:21 PM

Oh, Pat--I was discussing cultured/fermented foods with a friend (a pretty infromed friend, health-wise) who said she wouldn't do them on a regular basis because it raises the likelihood of stomach cancer? You want to chime in and refute this?

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#1544 of 1544 Old 04-01-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Oh, Pat--I was discussing cultured/fermented foods with a friend (a pretty infromed friend, health-wise) who said she wouldn't do them on a regular basis because it raises the likelihood of stomach cancer? You want to chime in and refute this?
Ask her to provide some research reference to make that claim.

Pat

I have a blog.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page