Home made Corned Beef?! March Chat - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm putting mine in to brine today. I know I'm not as organized as Kathy, who has one all ready and stuff but hey!
We're expecting a new little one this month! Or at least, our own whoMe is. Remember, the 21st is an excellent day for birthing.
And we have 2 other mamas who're expecting, one just found out recently. Congrats again, Mammo2Sammo!

If you're new to the forum, welcome. If you're returning, welcome back. We are always sad to see others join our struggles, but we'll be happy to help however we can!

eta: February chat

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#2 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 04:01 PM

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I was thinking either pendulum, since M2S seems darn good with hers, or a taste test kit. Not exactly traditional, but...

Woo-hoo on dropping babies. I don't think either of mine dropped til labor--DD _seemed_ to drop, she felt different, but my midwife said she was still pretty high (so way-high to pretty-high?).

Remind us how many weeks you are? Cause you were 41w+ for DD, right?
37 weeks, a couple days. 10-13 days post dates with dd. I think she dropped pretty early, though. Not sure that this one's dropped, but my belly feels like it's between my legs when I sit, and baby moved from the right side to the left a day or so ago.

What has me not totally trusting the taste tests is that the zinc is the only one that tasted bad both times, yet my other zinc sulfate solution still tastes like water.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#4 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Ok someone needs to remind me not to eat copious amounts of sunflower seeds.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#5 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 04:21 PM

I haven't found out anything earth-shattering with my taste test kit, the potassium being the worst-tasting for me wasn't a shocker. But if DH's hair test comes back funky for copper, well, then I'll be impressed. At least with how it works for him--maybe I should get a different zinc solution to compare? I _have_ been supplementing for a long time, so maybe the results aren't odd.

Oh, and guess what. So through all this, my cycles have gotten weird (I've wondered if I was borderline low progresterone before DS and it was basically good luck that I got pregnant and _stayed_ pregnant back then), but so, my cycles have been short, with really short luteal phases. 6 days for a long time, no longer than 9 days since DS was born, and with my gluten/dairy cheatin' ways of Q4, I was back at 7 days pretty steady.

Well, I think the acupuncture (and presumably the herbs?) are changing my cycle, I think I ovulated on day 13 or 14 (that tends to get delayed when my cycles are wackier), which is sooner than ever since DS was born. How long is my LP going to be?!? I am dying to find out. Part of me wants to go back to her this week just to see if I can keep things improving--but maybe I should make an appt with the new person to learn stuff--maybe her needles would be just as good as the current one, but I'd learn cool stuff. Choices, sometimes choices are hard.

We'll see how this goes with the fatigue--I think, even with lack of sleep over the weekend, I may be more mellow, and I'm going to make a concerted effort for a while to get plenty of sleep (sorry to everyone who doesn't have that as an option ).
#6 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Ok someone needs to remind me not to eat copious amounts of sunflower seeds.
Why not? I love sunflower seeds too. I used to make a mixture of sunflower seeds with raisins and chocolate chips but i`m chocolate free as of today, so I can`t eat that anymore. It`s just not the same.

I`m tired and cold.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#7 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Oh, and guess what. So through all this, my cycles have gotten weird (I've wondered if I was borderline low progresterone before DS and it was basically good luck that I got pregnant and _stayed_ pregnant back then), but so, my cycles have been short, with really short luteal phases. 6 days for a long time, no longer than 9 days since DS was born, and with my gluten/dairy cheatin' ways of Q4, I was back at 7 days pretty steady.

Well, I think the acupuncture (and presumably the herbs?) are changing my cycle, I think I ovulated on day 13 or 14 (that tends to get delayed when my cycles are wackier), which is sooner than ever since DS was born. How long is my LP going to be?!? I am dying to find out. Part of me wants to go back to her this week just to see if I can keep things improving--but maybe I should make an appt with the new person to learn stuff--maybe her needles would be just as good as the current one, but I'd learn cool stuff. Choices, sometimes choices are hard.

You`re not the only one with weird cycles. I hope they continue to improve. My current cycle is long and no O in sight. I need my herbs to O and I can`t afford them right now.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#8 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 04:30 PM

I'm in.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#9 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine View Post
Why not? I love sunflower seeds too. I used to make a mixture of sunflower seeds with raisins and chocolate chips but i`m chocolate free as of today, so I can`t eat that anymore. It`s just not the same.
Be aware that by copious, I mean 1-1 1/2 cups in a sitting.
As for why not... Let's just say I'm not feeling so hot today.

#10 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 04:57 PM

I am particularly fond of March 26th.

Getting some hints of spring. I'm the most impatient for spring in March.

I believe that both my boys' hair tests came back normal for copper. I also eat a lot of sunbutter which is high in copper.

I think I will stick with the regular multi for my prenatal. I need more nutrition than the average gal,so I shouldn't ignore while pregnant.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#11 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
I am particularly fond of March 26th.

Getting some hints of spring. I'm the most impatient for spring in March.

I believe that both my boys' hair tests came back normal for copper. I also eat a lot of sunbutter which is high in copper.

I think I will stick with the regular multi for my prenatal. I need more nutrition than the average gal,so I shouldn't ignore while pregnant.
Assuming you're taking the full dose of 6 pills, the regular multi is *at least* equal to everything in the prenatal. If you're only taking half, as was suggested, then it's lower.
eta: except for vitamin K! and copper, but I don't think that's much of a concern.

#12 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Hope you feel better soon. I eat about 1/2 a cup at a sitting, a few times a day depending of what kind of snack food there is in the house. LOL

#13 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Holey omega 6s, girl . Inflammatory, or digestive reaction today?

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#14 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Holey omega 6s, girl . Inflammatory, or digestive reaction today?
Inflammatory. My throat is killing me. Stupid Hashi's. My hip has been acting up lately recently as well (if I do too much, it feels like someone's trying to pry it off) and today I am hobbling even worse than yesterday and I haven't even DONE anything. I have a headache. My shoulders hurt. Blah.

#15 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 05:53 PM

I have been hobbling like crazy lately. My hip and knee are killing me. Stupid old joints....

Gah. I finally got my seeds ordered, after realizing that I had carrots on my planting calendar for today, but hadn't order the seeds yet (for that particular variety.) OOPS.

#16 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 07:08 PM

Okay, not sure at all where I posted what I posted before...
kathy, how about adding stevia to your lemon water, as in lemonade? There. I made it in.

You guys, I craved tuna casserole for lunch, made it and ate it. So weird. I have NEVER made it before and maybe only had it once. Ever.

I am not getting much done these days.
I need to figure out food for DH, DS and DD. Tomorrow is a Homeschool Day at the Capitol and they're going. What could I take with them? For meals. I'm doing chicken legs...what else? I've also got snap peas, applesauce and cookies. maybe potato salad? Any ideas would be appreciated!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#17 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 07:25 PM

tuna sandwich? or just tuna salad-type thing? i make potato salad for group things a lot, it shares well, but it's just satisfying as well.

I use this recipe as a base, but then add bacon and lard or palm shortening instead of olive oil, skip the alcohol, green beans, and parsley (cause i never remember to buy fresh herbs), and use stock if i need extra liquid. I guess it's not much like the original at this point, but it's tasty. I'm making it to share on Saturday, actually.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/RCP00207...ato-Salad.html

raisins and nuts/seeds to snack on?
#18 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Restrictions, dannic?
Having a very off day. DS2 kept stealing my panty liners and sticking them to his bum, calling them "diapers" () and then peed on the floor and broke into the kitchen. DS3 crawled through the pee puddle while I was trying to get DS2 out of the kitchen. I bathed them and put them both for a nap. Now I'm going to have to deal with DS2 til like... midnight... but it gives me an hour or so to attempt to regain my sanity and get back on track. I've been using my mama bear voice too much today.

#19 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
tuna sandwich? or just tuna salad-type thing? i make potato salad for group things a lot, it shares well, but it's just satisfying as well.

I use this recipe as a base, but then add bacon and lard or palm shortening instead of olive oil, skip the alcohol, green beans, and parsley (cause i never remember to buy fresh herbs), and use stock if i need extra liquid. I guess it's not much like the original at this point, but it's tasty. I'm making it to share on Saturday, actually.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/RCP00207...ato-Salad.html

raisins and nuts/seeds to snack on?
I that recipe. We skip the green beans too and add bacon (because Tanya said so ). I always use the parsley, it's not the same without, and I double the capers (This recipe introduced me to capers ). I make my own sweet whole grain mustard (don't ask for a recipe, I just throw it together) and use that and use chicken broth in place of the vermouth. Sometimes I throw in peas.

#20 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I that recipe. We skip the green beans too and add bacon (because Tanya said so ). I always use the parsley, it's not the same without, and I double the capers (This recipe introduced me to capers ). I make my own sweet whole grain mustard (don't ask for a recipe, I just throw it together) and use that and use chicken broth in place of the vermouth. Sometimes I throw in peas.
That reminds me... don't you have mustard woes? Our grocery store had a new brand on sale, Full Circle.
Ing: organic apple cider vinegar, filtered water, organic whole mustard seed, sea salt.

I want potatoes back, but I'm scared to trial anything when there's a chance I could go into labor while dealing with a potential reaction. I want happy adrenals for labor!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#21 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 08:00 PM

Dannic, M2S, whoMe--you three inadvertently made my daughter's day today. She's 6, I guess things aren't as clear to her, sometimes, as they are to me. She brought up the idea of a baby, and we talked and she asked about gluten-free and I said I thought we'd probably be GF for a long time, and she's all crestfallen. Turns out she didn't think I could (?) would (?) get pregnant while gluten-free. I cleared it up, used you three as an example, she was much happier, even though I explained that the time's not right yet.
#22 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'd want happy adrenals for labour too. I hope your labour is exactly what you want it to be, Shannon.

Mustard- I can't find one in stores here that's white vinegar free, true. But at this point, I don't much care anymore. I just make a huge batch of it and it probably costs me about as much as it would cost to buy 1/4 that amount. We didn't have it for about 7 months while I was pregnant though, bc it wasn't a necessity, as far as I was concerned, and all "unnecessary" foods were avoided. Particularly smelly ones. Did I tell you that DH actually put up with eating plain baked chicken with salt and baked potatoes for like... 3 weeks? And I'd sit across the room from them because the smell of margarine or sour cream or parmesan or pepper was sure to send me for the bathroom (assuming I wasn't already there from the smell of the chicken). Ah, good times, good times.

eta: oh yeah, and in case you haven't thought about it, Karen... Extensive food allergies + HG = NO FRIGGIN FUN AT ALL

#23 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 09:22 PM

My laptop is dying so much I couldn't get on it at all today. So I'm using the old slow computer and every time I go to a new page, it's making me log into MDC again, won't let me multi-quote etc. So yesterday my eyes were burning all day long. And today too. Used the new mary kay stuff both days. Then today I realized that I'd taken benadryl in the afternoon on Saturday before the party because of my sinus headache, so I thought I could use the stuff, when I guess I was reacting to it. DRAT. Now I have to return it. And still no makeup. And DS, DD2 and I trialed gluten free oats yesterday. They were so good. DS is okay. DD2 was up a slew last night. At 2am I told her to go back to bed, and she said her bed was cold. I said go sleep with Izzy, go sleep on the couch, just let me sleep! So she closed my door (always a bad sign) and I listened and sure enough she went downstairs and turned on Nick Jr. I went down there and shooed her back to bed (her crying) telling her she couldn't watch cartoons at 2 o'clock in the morning. Tucked her back in, gave her extra blankets, and she went back to sleep. It took me a while and I had horrible anxiety/nightmares. And today my back is absolutely killing me. And I was playing with G in her room in the afternoon and I fell asleep. So I'm thinking that oats are a no-go for her and me. Oh well. At least DS seems like he's okay with them.

Whole Foods 365 brand of mustard is apple cider vinegar as well and no corn anything. That's what I've been using. Still no commercial ketchup though.

Watch, Jacq, I'll forget to defrost my corned beef for St. Patricks Day and we'll be out of luck!

We're having a big family party for G in 2 weekends and I've got to figure out what to make everybody. She said she wants a snowman cake -- not sure how I'm supposed to make that.

I've never tried stevia. I made lemonade on Saturday. I seem to be doing fine without the lemon water. Maybe I just needed a break.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#24 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

I need an emergency answer.
How much 5-HTP would you recommend?

#25 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 10:29 PM

Dang, JR. I went to look up Ross' suggestions in the mood cure and the diet cure and their both loaned out right now. Maybe you could check her site? I can't recall what I took a day...so I'm no help at all.

Who Me, HAPPY ADRENALS TO YOU!

Quote:
I have a recipe that we like. I'll have to see what I have on hand. We're egg,gf,cf, strawberries, histamines, and melons, squash, nuts, ect. I basically take our recipes and tweek a bit for dd2 and the rest of us eat gf/cf. And dd1 adds eggs to her list. So I made rice for dd2 tonight, potatoes for us. DD2 is staying with me, so potato salad would work for the picnic at the capitol. It's eggless and yummy. It's adapted from Pascal's whole food allergy cookbook. I'll look at Dr Weil's too. Thx.

Quote:
Dannic, M2S, whoMe--you three inadvertently made my daughter's day today. She's 6, I guess things aren't as clear to her, sometimes, as they are to me. She brought up the idea of a baby, and we talked and she asked about gluten-free and I said I thought we'd probably be GF for a long time, and she's all crestfallen. Turns out she didn't think I could (?) would (?) get pregnant while gluten-free. I cleared it up, used you three as an example, she was much happier, even though I explained that the time's not right yet.

Kids do get some strange perceptions at times, don't they?

So I watched/listened to I.O.U.S.A. today while doing random things around the house. W.H.O.A. I knew things were messed up, but we're a bit over the top these days. Scary to think of the tax burden our kids are gonna have...

All you corned hashers out there...what the heck IS it? The name sounds a tad...gross? What do you eat it with? What's the St. Patty's connection?

typos likely

#26 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 10:38 PM

JR, I *think* I took 50mg/day. Search in ppd for A real Natural remedy...I recall dicussing it there...galeforces rebuild from depression site might discuss it as well...

typos likely

#27 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 10:40 PM

Corned beef hash is just the leftovers after St. Patricks Day or any other day you have corned beef. Just chopped up boiled potatoes and leftover corned beef, fried in a little oil (or butter before restricted diets). Sometims a little minced onion. Salt and pepper. YUM. YUM. I actually get the canned stuff once in a while. So bad for you.... so yummy!

My eyes are burning and I'm just dreading the nightmares tonight. Hoping for a one night reaction and not three (for DD2 and me).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#28 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 10:40 PM

Sorry about the makeup Kathy. And that oats. I think we're failing our oat trial too, although I'm not sure if she's allergic or just back to not tolerating any grains....

I just slow cooked an entire lamb shoulder today, and OMG. Yum. Falling apart juicy goodness. Poked it when it came out of the oven and it felt like a marshmellow it was so soft. And since it was a whole shoulder, I am making a huge batch of gravy! (with potato flour, which is also YUM.) Did I mention this was a whole shoulder? I had no idea what to do with it. It was too big for the crockpot (has a bone), and I couldn't find my roaster.... so, I put it in a ss mixing bowl and covered it with foil and threw it in the oven for 6 hours. Worked like a charm.

#29 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

CS, I'll see you in 6 hours.

Corned beef hash.

Sorry for all the failed/failing trials.

WARNING: Total topic change.
I've been drinking lemonade laced with vitamin C all day. I've probably had an extra 5 grams or so (I had about 1g/cup and drank about 5 cups). I think I've hit BT. I'm also nauseated.

It's been a rough day. I hope to go to bed early.

#30 of 1544 Old 03-01-2010, 10:56 PM

That lamb shoulder sounds really good (even if I don't like lamb!). I love when meat is that tender. And gravy. Slurp.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page