Help please! Does this sound like an allergic reaction to eggs? Update - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-10-2010, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS had a bite of my scrambled eggs 3 months ago and within 2 hours had a bright red rash on his face. I've kept him away from eggs since then. This morning I decided to try a scrambled egg with him to see if he reacted to it. Within 20 minutes he had several welts on his face, they faded within an hour and now he has bright red cheeks with raised bumps and just had a nasty diaper full of diarrhea - all this 2.5 hours after eating the egg.

My first instinct says allergy what do you think?

Update - Back from the ped, kind of disappointing. The nurse said definite reaction to the eggs, advised me to keep benedryl in the house because another reaction could be worse, etc. Than the ped came in, and basically said while it could be an egg reaction, the symptoms happened too fast so he isn't positive, which I don't understand. Can't an allergic reaction be anywhere from instant to a while? I didn't think there was a time frame. Anyway, he said to eliminate eggs, and we'll trial them after he turns 1 to see if he reacts again.

I also had my daughter seen again for her constant stomach ache - 5th visit for that and he wants us to eliminate all of the common allergens one at a time to see if any are causing her problems. He also wants her to see a gastro, I didn't think to ask why not an allergist. Mommy brain sucks.

He didn't want to do allergy testing because he believes its too unreliable, especially with the baby. So basically, we're back to self-diagnosing what is wrong with the kids.

Loving WAHM/Student Mommy to DD (6.5) and DS (2.5)  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 02:09 PM

Yes, that definitely sounds like a reaction! How old? I am not sure when allergy tests are reliable (dd has intolerances, not allergies), but I would go to the ped or allergist for a RAST if they are accurate for your son's age.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Old 03-10-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

I called the nurse, she said it sounded like a reaction too, so we have an appointment for 3:30 today for him. He's only 9 (almost 10 months) months old, so I don't think the tests are going to be that reliable, but we'll see.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:20 PM

Yeah, that is definitely an allergic reaction. My guess is that he would show up + on a scratch test, but even if not you can be pretty assured that he is allergic to eggs. My DS still hasn't had a + scratch test for anything, but if he eats eggs or soy, even soy lecithin or something that has touched an egg, he gets hives, eczema, and bleeding diaper rash.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
Old 03-10-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Just changed his diaper again since the diarrhea and he's now got sores on his little bottom Lovely.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:53 PM

DD has egg allergy and that is what it sounds like to me. DD can eat things that has egg in it in limited amounts but cannot eat egg cooked by itself.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 03-10-2010, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootchsMom View Post
Just changed his diaper again since the diarrhea and he's now got sores on his little bottom Lovely.
Poor little guy!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 03-10-2010, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Update in the OP

Old 03-10-2010, 09:35 PM

A reaction can be near instantaneous I dont know what your Dr. meant but he is 100% wrong if he is saying a reaction cant happen that fast.

That is what makes food allergies so dangerous because the attack comes on so swiftly in a lot of cases it is difficult to get help in time. Not all are like this but they can be and they can go from mild to life threatening in the blink of an eye.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 03-10-2010, 09:49 PM

I agree with the PP - allergic reactions can be nearly instantaneous. Yes, you need benadryl, and I would guess an epi pen too. You need to be vigilant about eggs from this point on. Watch out for breaded things, salad dressings...investigate the hidden sources.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
Old 03-10-2010, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that is what I thought about the reactions. They said we'll trial the eggs in two months, when he is one, in the office so they can be there.

So now I have to figure out how to do this food elimination with DD. The ped said to do them one food at a time, not to eliminate all top allergens at once. He said to start with dairy, but we already eliminated dairy in the beginning of all of this for almost 6 weeks and there was little/if any improvement. But when I added dairy back in last week, she became intolerable behavior wise and the stomach pains increased a bit. So I took her off of dairy again already. I guess next to go is going to be soy again (we had taken her off of that with the dairy as well), than I guess wheat/gluten and so on.

He also said something else that made no sense, that since DD tested negative for celiac than it would be highly unlikely she would be allergic to wheat or gluten. From all of my reading, that is totally incorrect as celiac has nothing to do with allergies.

I think we're going to be going for a second opinion on our own to someone more knowledgeable regarding allergies.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:49 PM

My DS is allergic to eggs. His reaction time is not that fast but it is nearly identical with everything else you described. I have known kids react that fast, some instantaneously! Look out for waffles, pancakes, cookies, cakes, salad dressings, some ice creams and even handmade shampoos. The Earths Best organic waffles don't have eggs, Kraft 3 cheese ranch dressing doesn't have eggs, and Ghiridelli (I know I spelled that wrong, sorry) brownie mixes don't contain eggs. The Ener-G egg replacer works OK in most things. In brownie mixes I've found it makes them oily, and in cake mixes it makes them super moist but they crumble. Anyway, hope this helps a little. Sorry your LO has to go through this.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookie514 View Post
My DS is allergic to eggs. His reaction time is not that fast but it is nearly identical with everything else you described. I have known kids react that fast, some instantaneously! Look out for waffles, pancakes, cookies, cakes, salad dressings, some ice creams and even handmade shampoos. The Earths Best organic waffles don't have eggs, Kraft 3 cheese ranch dressing doesn't have eggs, and Ghiridelli (I know I spelled that wrong, sorry) brownie mixes don't contain eggs. The Ener-G egg replacer works OK in most things. In brownie mixes I've found it makes them oily, and in cake mixes it makes them super moist but they crumble. Anyway, hope this helps a little. Sorry your LO has to go through this.
Thanks. So far, I have to travel to three different supermarkets to get a complete shopping trip done for all this allergy free stuff, I'll have to look for the stuff you mentioned.

User Tag List