So...I think we've figured it out! LONG - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 03-12-2010, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't post much here, but thought I'd throw out what's going on now to maybe help someone else

DD started reacting to dairy in January/February of 2009, when she was 15 months old. She was a colicky baby but I'd always just assumed it was how she was and not tried to remove milk. When we removed milk from just her diet (not mine) her sleep improved DRASTICALLY and a chronic diaper rash cleared up after about a month of being dairy free. I was pregnant at the time and had no milk supply to speak of, so all food trials were done with her alone though she did continue to nurse. Over the next year, she would randomly start reacting to foods. Her symptoms were face flush, tummy ache/poor sleep, and her poop was never formed, ever, and was almost always full of undigested food. D/T the poop, we always assumed we were still missing *something* though we couldn't identify it. She lost food after food. When we thought we'd figured it out, she would start reacting to something new. When YDD was born and my milk came back in, ODD got worse, so I cut dairy as well. She got a little better, but was still not sleeping well and not having solid poops. By December, she had lost dairy, soy, corn, blueberries, tomatoes, pineapple, and chickpeas. We had her tested for celiac and she got a high IgG response but follow-up testing showed that she doesn't carry the gene. With those test results and pretty much at our wits end, she went on a TED. She did great. Clear skin on her face and butt, sleeping fantastically, mood improvement (which we didn't realize was a problem), and solid poop. She was on it for a couple of weeks when we did our first trial ~ peanut butter. Fail. Eggs ~ fail. Apples ~ fail. Grapes ~ fail. These were all foods she had been eating forever, so I was disappointed and frustrated. Ground beef and carrots passed. We tried eggs a second time after 2 months (so in February of this year) and she had a pretty strong and clear reaction. Face rash much worse than before, horrible sleep, she was clearly in pain, whiny and not paying attention for 3 days. Her poop was also awful ~ blackish, greasy, gritty. And after that trial, she never went back to baseline. We tried cutting pears, thinking she was getting too much fruit, but it didn't help.

Two weeks ago, I basically gave up. It had been over a year and she was no better off (and arguably worse off) than she had been to start with. We went with full-fledged, no-holds-barred reintroduction. We let her eat EVERYTHING she wanted. Dairy, soy, corn, nuts, peanut butter, etc. My thought was that she would get clearly worse and it would give DH and I renewed vigor to go at the food issues again. But she didn't get worse. She got better. Her poop solidified. She was digesting things. Her mood improved. Her sleep has been pretty fantastic.

So then I started to piece it all together. When we started the reintroduction, we also happened to start her on a really strong probiotic because she had had bronchitis and had taken a z-pack, and I was worried about thrush. I thought, could the probiotic really be helping her? I've looked into it more, and it seems that it can! And then it all hit me ~ when this all started last year, I had assumed the reactions were d/t her interest in solids from my dwindling milk supply. But looking at the calendar, I see that at the same time she started reacting, she had just recently taken amoxicillin for the first time ever for bronchitis (apparently she is prone to it). My theory is that her gut was messed up from the abx (which we should have known, as she got a pretty bad yeast rash from them that required an rx to clear up), and along with what was likely a dairy intolerance that she'd had since birth, her gut couldn't heal. The probiotics have done wonders! I am so amazed. She doesn't wake up crying anymore in the middle of the night. I'm not kidding when I say that she is a DIFFERENT KID.

She does still get gassy if she has too much dairy, but otherwise she can eat whatever she wants.

Sarah, loving wife to Michael (9/6/03), SAHM to my big girl Maya "Monkey" Grace (10/5/07) and my baby girl Charlotte "Bugsy" Mae (7/2/09) : :
#2 of 21 Old 03-12-2010, 10:51 AM

That's great!!

Ever since we started on the right probiotic with DS, he's been adding lots of food back in. It's amazing when something works, and it really WORKS, isn't it?!?!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 21 Old 03-12-2010, 11:51 AM

Can you share what kind of probiotic she is on? We are dealing with much of the same thing and have been for 2 years now.. She's also recently had multiple courses of antibiotics (strep throat and an AWFUL ear infection).

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#4 of 21 Old 03-12-2010, 02:17 PM

I think it may depend on the kid. My DS had a genova stool test that said he had no e. coli or lactobacillus at all. He'd been on a probiotics for 1.5 years prior to the test (gipro x 12, gipro x 2, and S. Boulardii). Now that we know what he's deficient in, the osteo recommended TruFlora and Theralac, and a couple months later he's adding foods back in. So I think getting the RIGHT probiotic is very important. At least for us.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#5 of 21 Old 03-12-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Maya is on the infant probiotic formulation from Custom Probiotics.

http://www.customprobiotics.com/cust...ormulation.htm

It contains L. Acidophilus, B. Bifidum and B. Infantis. A friend of ours who is a medical accupuncturist also recommend that she do a round of Florstor (which is S. boulardii). I am just so amazed that this is working. Sosososo amazed.

FWIW, the accupuncturist said that babies born by c-section or babies born to moms that were born by c-section are more likely to lack the B. bifidus b/c they aren't exposed to it in the birth canal. Not sure how true that is, but it seems to be working for us!

Sarah, loving wife to Michael (9/6/03), SAHM to my big girl Maya "Monkey" Grace (10/5/07) and my baby girl Charlotte "Bugsy" Mae (7/2/09) : :
#6 of 21 Old 03-12-2010, 06:40 PM

Do you all think probiotics could help a child who has never had antibiotics? He was born vaginally, and neither of us had antibiotics at his birth, or at any point after.

Oh, and how long does it take to see any progress, if probiotics are helping?

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#7 of 21 Old 03-12-2010, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure, but as far as I know they can't hurt. For us, she was taking them for probably a week or 10 days, then we upped it to 2 scoops/day. We saw improvement after 2 days of the increased dose.

#8 of 21 Old 03-12-2010, 06:54 PM

Thanks for sharing- I've been meaning to get probiotics "just in case" it would help, but I'm totally going out today and getting some. How awesome would it be if this helps!?!? Definitely worth trying, especially after reading your story.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#9 of 21 Old 03-12-2010, 08:32 PM

Yay!!!

Bifidobacteria dominence is the gatekeeper of the immune system for a baby ... it gradually moves over to an adult gut flora around age 6 or 7, which "coincidentally" is when the immune system is thought to mature. Before that, bifido is essential for the immune system to learn oral tolerance.

And animal studies have shown that antibiotics can induce food allergies.
#10 of 21 Old 03-12-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaMajka View Post
Do you all think probiotics could help a child who has never had antibiotics? He was born vaginally, and neither of us had antibiotics at his birth, or at any point after.
Conventional meat and dairy can have traces of antibiotics. There are also other chemicals and metals in our environment and bodies which can certainly effect our gut flora. The Environmental Working Group has done studies on baby's cord blood and they show a literal toxic soup our babes have been exposed to.
#11 of 21 Old 03-12-2010, 09:53 PM

Oh I can't help but let this give me hope! My son seems to get better when we take something out but 1-2 weeks later he's back to diarrhea, aggression, ear infections, and sleep disturbances. He's had 20 rounds of antibiotics this year for his ears. I need to be more consistant about probiotics....
#12 of 21 Old 03-19-2010, 12:33 PM

This post gives me hope! I just asked a question about probiotics helping my DD sleep better at night (I should have searched first!). She is MSPI and also reacted my eating eggs. She is so gassy and has had mucousy icky poops way more often than healthy ones. Than you!!!

Natalie ~ DH 8/04 ~ DD 8/09 ~ Identical Twin Boys Arrived at 34w5d on March 2, 2011

#13 of 21 Old 03-19-2010, 01:51 PM

Sorry for the multiple posts!

Natalie ~ DH 8/04 ~ DD 8/09 ~ Identical Twin Boys Arrived at 34w5d on March 2, 2011

#14 of 21 Old 07-16-2010, 01:45 PM

Wanted to check in and see how your dd is doing haren!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#15 of 21 Old 07-17-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
So then I started to piece it all together. When we started the reintroduction, we also happened to start her on a really strong probiotic because she had had bronchitis and had taken a z-pack, and I was worried about thrush. I thought, could the probiotic really be helping her? I've looked into it more, and it seems that it can!

Can I ask the brand of probiotics you have your daughter on, and for how long did you give it to her?

Thanks....
#16 of 21 Old 07-17-2010, 02:23 PM

She mentions custom probiotics earlier in the thread, just fyi.

I'm interested in hearing more on this as well.

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#17 of 21 Old 07-17-2010, 11:25 PM

Oh, thanks FairyRae, I completely overlooked that.
#18 of 21 Old 07-25-2010, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Hi again all! Thanks for the bump! DD is doing really really well! She has NO food restrictions, which is so amazing because of where we were just 6 months ago. It's really hard for me to believe. She is still on the probiotics but I am thinking that we need to up the dose. She is using the potty now so it is harder to examine her poop, but she has had just a slight face rash the last couple of days and has been SUPER whiny...since it has just been a couple of days, I'm going to chalk the rash up to the sun, the mood up to her age, and up the probiotics just in case!

I know that this isn't the answer for everyone, but for us it has just been amazing. For several months, DH and I would just look at each other stunned as DD would be eating "normal" food.

Oh, and YDD is on solids now (still nursing, but also eating solids) and has not had any of the same reactions that ODD had. She's had abx one time (ear infection from RSV ) but we did the probiotics at the same time. We also had no abx during labor.

#19 of 21 Old 07-26-2010, 10:46 AM

This is so inspiring and enlightening. I will start researching what probiotics they have available here in the UK and get them asap. I don't know much about what kinds are good for what but I will try and make time to research as DS is constantly needing to bf and be held, sometimes in the sling and sometimes without. He's going through a tough flare up right now. Ok, he's sleeping a little so it's off to research! Thanks so much for your story xxx
#20 of 21 Old 07-26-2010, 08:46 PM

Look for the Cultech probiotics. They are human strains. A Welsh company run by Sue and Nigel Plummer. I think the new brand name is Pro-ven?
#21 of 21 Old 07-27-2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Look for the Cultech probiotics. They are human strains. A Welsh company run by Sue and Nigel Plummer. I think the new brand name is Pro-ven?
Thanks so much for the tip, I will seek them out today xxx

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page