Gel-Free Diapers with NO corn?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-16-2010, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It looks like most of the sposies have CORN! What?! I especially wanted a gel-free diaper, and the best one everyone speaks of is made of corn as well. (Nature Boy & Girl).

Does anyone know of a gel-free diaper with no corn??? Is the answer cloth?

Thanks in advance, everyone.
#2 of 6 Old 03-16-2010, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd say cloth. Not sure what the covers are made of, probably all different things.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 6 Old 03-16-2010, 05:32 PM

You could use wool covers. They're pricey unless you can knit,crochet, or sew them yourself.
Is your lo ok with animal fibers?
#4 of 6 Old 03-16-2010, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

I was actually looking for DC2 arriving in October. I didn't notice DS1's allergies early on and this time around I want to do what I can to prevent sensitization. However, since I will probably have a C/S, I am hesitant to do CDs right away with the newborn since I could barely take care of myself after DS1 was born.

DS1 started having issues with our prefolds -- red, itchy, etc. skin. I don't know if the problem is the fiber or the detergent or what. I've been drying them in the sun (in TX) in the hopes that this will make a difference.

I used to get very itchy with wool -- little hives as well --- so I never considered it, despite all of the raves.
#5 of 6 Old 03-16-2010, 11:01 PM

It's not just sposies that have corn, although obviously those would have more direct contact with skin. But corn is literally in everything, so there is no way that you can completely shield your new little one from it. Seriously- carpet, toilet paper, paper/paper cups, plastic (including what you buy organic salad/spinach in from the grocery store), your vitamins (vitamin C, among others, is almost always made from corn), your natural soaps/laundry detergents/body products... the list goes on and on. You name it- it has corn in it.

I know that's not very encouraging, but if you're just trying to avoid sensitization I would make sure that you delay solids, you work on your own gut health, and possibly avoid top allergens yourself. I wouldn't stress myself about environmental stuff too. (That said- the prefold issue is most likely from detergent residue- which *could* be corn, or coconut, or whatever else your detergent is made out of.)

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#6 of 6 Old 03-17-2010, 11:36 AM

I was also going to suggest the issue with cds might be detergent. Maybe adding a rinse or two? Or less detergent to begin with. You might also consider checking into your water. Is it hard? What's the ph? Maybe you just need a water softener or even a softener additive.
I'm a newbie to allergies so I'm afraid I'm not much help there. GL with the new lo!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page