Mothering Forum banner

non-latex, non-powdered gloves

7K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  scsigrl 
#1 ·
Mama's,

I'm hoping one of you can help. A friend of mine has a daughter with severe allergies. They are trying to locate NON-latex, NON-powdered child-size (she is 4) gloves. She has latex allergies as well as corn allergies so it has to be powder free

I've used my google-fu and have found two possibilities but I thought that some of you might have experience.

TIA!

ETA: The reason she needs the gloves is for art class. She starts school next year and the school wants to exclude her from art class because they can't/won't make it safe for her. So instead we're looking for alternatives to help her safely be able to participate.

#2 ·
They sell child size white cotton gloves on amazon (a seller, not amazon directly). Those might work for her. They are relatively cheap but not cheap enough to go through them like disposables.

I'm using Kimberly Clark extra small powder free nitrile exam gloves for my son (they are purple if that matters). I didn't have luck with child size disposable gloves in any form--the extra small are actually smaller than the one child size I found. They aren't perfect fits for him but he can use them and use his hands--it's the best I could find.

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
I'm using Kimberly Clark extra small powder free nitrile exam gloves for my son (they are purple if that matters).
I use these at work, though if you aren't using them for handling bio-waste, there are cheaper alternatives. If you're buying them retail the K-C gloves can go for up to 18 dollars a box.

Can he wear vinyl? You can buy powder free vinyl exam gloves for much cheaper than nitrile- 5 or 6 dollars a box, and if you get them in an XS size, you might get a pretty good fit, though they aren't stretchy or forgiving at all.

You could also look into neoprene or other synthetics, they might be pricy, but you'll find them in an array of sizes since they are sized as gloves and not a general xs, s, m, etc.

Contact your local dispensary to see what they have in stock. Worst case scenario, you could call your local dental supply or Henry Schein and buy a case, take what you need and put the rest up on craigslist or something

A case of vinyl gloves is about 40 dollars

#5 ·
It's a long shot just because of size, but my husband buys his gloves from a local auto supply type store for almost half the price the medical stores sell them for. His are purple non powdered nitrile gloves- they look identical to the KC ones. He uses them as a paramedic, and has had no problems. The brand is Horizon, though I can't seem to find any info on it online. Might be worth checking some of those type stores though. His are a size large, though they're not tight by any means, I can put them on my small hands and they're 'snug' enough that i could do crafts if i needed. A size small might be *just* small enough for her to be able to work.

#6 ·
She's going to order the extra small (purple) Kimberly Clark gloves. We had looked at just plain cotton gloves, but she's concerned about how safe they would be and also the gloves primary purpose is going to be for art class so disposable would be nice.

JJ: We don't have a whole lot in the way of stores near us, but thank you for the suggestion, I'll pass along the brand name in case she wants to look into those as well.

#8 ·
We have also found some XS food handling gloves that are not as fitted, but are 1/4 of the price. They also have non-latex pawder free gloves at some beauty supply places. They are used for people dying hair. Since they are not medical grade, they are a lot cheaper than the Kimberly Clark ones.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina Zel View Post

As an occupational therapist working in a pre-school setting, I occasionally do work with children who have severe allergies. I would appreciate any feedback on the Kimberly Clark extra small (purple) gloves.

Thank you DA
Why would you need gloves? That can change which ones are recommended.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.