Grains......go or no-go? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-24-2010, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which grains does your family feel are okay/can tolerate and which grains are an absolute no-no/would not touch with a 10 foot pole?
#2 of 7 Old 03-25-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachBaby View Post
Which grains does your family feel are okay/can tolerate and which grains are an absolute no-no/would not touch with a 10 foot pole?
Wouldn't touch gluten if someone paid me. We are eating less and less other grains.
#3 of 7 Old 03-25-2010, 10:19 AM

I am strongly suspecting rice (brown and especially white), as being culprits in my sons horrible eczema all over his legs and arms. Since cutting out rice his eczema has improved considerably, though today he ate 2 rice crackers and was really crabby, and began itching again, and crying uncontrolably. He is 2 years old, and I thought rice was a safe food.
#4 of 7 Old 03-25-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjooba View Post
I am strongly suspecting rice (brown and especially white), as being culprits in my sons horrible eczema all over his legs and arms. Since cutting out rice his eczema has improved considerably, though today he ate 2 rice crackers and was really crabby, and began itching again, and crying uncontrolably. He is 2 years old, and I thought rice was a safe food.
I have also recently noticed rice aggravating my son's eczema. He is 10 months old and seems to be bothered if I eat too much or if he eats it. I also thought rice was a "safe" food. Now I am wondering if other grains might be problematic, too. Wheat does not seem to bother him at all and I think oats are okay.
#5 of 7 Old 03-26-2010, 08:00 AM

One thing I might mention is that my son had eczema since he was 3 months old. Mostly the outbreaks were red spots on his face that he would rub raw, and he had patches in odd places (such as a scaly patch on his calf, on his back etc). I commenced a elimination diet, and cut out all the top 8 allergens, and increased my rice intake, along with chicken, no fruits, and limited vegetables (no nightshade etc). He did not improve. On one of my many visits to the paediatrician, she asked me if I was formula feeding him, and I said no. She said that his diaper smelt like a formula fed babies nappy (you know that ammonia type smell). She asked me what I was eating and I replied mostly rice. At the time I didnt correlate that rice was causing his urine to smell so potent. Then after ditching the elimination diet out of frustration, and started eating everything again, thus reducing my intake o rice, I started noticing an improvement in my son. Granted, there were other things that caused him to react, such as when he touched a cashew and broke out in hives etc, and I know tomatoes are a culprit for him too. But I have again removed rice from his diet. Wheat is okay, and oats, and bulgar wheat are also okay. But it just goes to show that each case is different and that is why your own personal observation through journaling, and writing down reactions etc is possibly the only surefire way to track and trace, and put the puzzle pieces together. BTW, sorry about the long post.
#6 of 7 Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 AM

We don't eat any gluten-containing grains, or gluten-free oats (though they're in the house for DH and DD1; I try not to touch them even). We don't eat quinoa either (DS and DD2 reacted to it on the alcat test).

We eat sorghum, light buckwheat, millet, rice (it's on rotation for DS, since he just got it back a few weeks ago after being off it for 18 months)... also sweet potato starch, tapioca starch, and chickpea flour (though those aren't really grains, but I use them for baking).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#7 of 7 Old 03-26-2010, 01:07 PM

We do eat some gluten containing grains- rye and spelt, mostly. I do still make wheat bread for my husband and I because we tolerate it (well, I do- he swears he does but I know better, I just figure it's his body and I can't make him do anything!). We also eat rice, millet, buckwheat, oats. We don't do bean flours (not a grain, I realize).

I was actually coming on this forum to ask a question about grains and carbs, though. My kids have had no symptoms (no excema, upper respiratory, etc) since we took them off wheat and dairy, but as I mentioned last week my son still isn't digesting properly (his poop is noxious and a lot of stuff comes through intact). So I'm going to try him (both of them, actually, just for the sake of constancy and to see what happens) gluten free for a few weeks. I'm going to go post a few other questions of my own, though (so look for my posts and help me out if you can!).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page