sugar as an allergy? - Mothering Forums
Allergies > sugar as an allergy?
nycmom18's Avatar nycmom18 07:58 PM 03-25-2010
is it possible?

changingseasons's Avatar changingseasons 08:23 PM 03-25-2010
Well, there are a couple possibilities, but short answer- YES.

You can be allergic to ANY food- and that includes sugar cane, beets (which a lot of sugar is made from), agave, fructose (fruit-derived sugar), etc.

OR- if you have a yeast overgrowth, eating sugars will probably make you feel like crap because it will cause the yeast to flare.
DevaMajka's Avatar DevaMajka 09:57 PM 03-25-2010
My first thought was yeast.
californiajenn's Avatar californiajenn 10:49 PM 03-25-2010
It could also be a small intestine bacterial overgrowth and/or adrenal issues.

Can you tolerate honey?
lil_miss_understood's Avatar lil_miss_understood 04:21 AM 03-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Well, there are a couple possibilities, but short answer- YES.

You can be allergic to ANY food- and that includes sugar cane, beets (which a lot of sugar is made from), agave, fructose (fruit-derived sugar), etc.

OR- if you have a yeast overgrowth, eating sugars will probably make you feel like crap because it will cause the yeast to flare.

I react (IgG) to cane sugar.
Ghislaine's Avatar Ghislaine 08:13 AM 03-26-2010
I also have an IgG reaction to sugar cane.
kjbrown92's Avatar kjbrown92 10:49 AM 03-26-2010
My DS has an intolerance to cane sugar. My DD2 has an intolerance to beet sugar and honey.

I also have a friend who's daughter reacts with monstrous tantrums with any high carb/sugar.
brandislee's Avatar brandislee 01:52 PM 03-26-2010
I have a few cousins who have severe reactions to sugar, and while she didn't test for it my DD also has huge dramatic fits when she has refined sugar or refined carbs (but she can do honey and maple syrup with no problems).

I remember when my kids were testing, though, I was PRAYING that one or both would be allergic to sugar. Isn't that sick? But of all the things to avoid, that seemed like the one that would be easiest and I felt it would improve their health as well.
nycmom18's Avatar nycmom18 01:27 AM 03-30-2010
thanks everyone. the yeast makes sense for me: i always feel nasaly and crappy after too much refined sugar. for my 2 yr old, he gets random red dots on his face or torso, and i think its mostly when he east some sugar...
Up