Amazing April Allergies Chat!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Kathy, I basically use my spaghetti sauce (in the resource recipe thread) but half the recipe and double the meat. Not sure how authentic that is...I've never made real sloppy joes, lol. But it works for us. DH didn't want them so he had spaghetti and I toasted the kinnick buns with evoo and garlic salt. mmm. closest we've had to French bread.
the "real" stuff (which is all fake) is much sweeter than spaghetti sauce and has peppers in it (my spaghetti sauce doesn't) and it's got a "tang" that regular spaghetti sauce doesn't have....

Quote:
Kathy, I have a shortCAKE thread--do you have one?
Nope, haven't gotten a good biscuit yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waluso View Post
I have a question on the fertility discussion. For those who are breastfeeding (or who did extended breastfeeding), when did you get your cycle back? DD is 22 months old and I still don't have my cycle back. Doesn't make TTCing much of an option right now. DD is definitely nursing less during the day but still nurses a lot at night. When I work outside the home 2 days a week I pump once. I'd really like to cut out that pumping session but DD still takes milk sometimes when I'm gone so I need some pumped milk. I would also love to nightwean but that just isn't an option when DD already wakes up every hour crying. Just wondering what it would take for my cycle to come back ...
I got mine within the first couple months for all of them. I had a 50-ish day cycle before and after (until about 2 years after G, when they went haywire).

Chlobo - are you SURE you have all their trigger foods out? I'd still say that adenoids are a reaction to something, because aren't they another form of filter like tonsils are? It just seems like there's got to be a reason.

I've painted, I've gardened, I've raked....

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#62 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 03:20 PM

What about a pound cake type? Can you do that eggless?

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#63 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 03:20 PM

I want to join in and try to keep up. I have a 17 month old and we are g, d, s, c, e, nuts, most legumes (only have grn beans and guar gum), most seeds, chicken, beef, and more, free. I have been reading along on and off but I have such a hard time keeping up. There's such a wealth of info here though that I'd like to try. We are doing well lately, ds has been having solid poops for about 2 months now for the first time in his life. The last straw was me stopping eating beans. I can't believe how stubborn I was about that for his whole first year. We have trialed and added recently coconut, carrots, quinoa, goat meat, and venison and haven't failed anything since sunflower seeds a couple months ago. Huge fail. We are trialing lamb today. yum.

We use the namaste pancake mix and sub a ripe banana for eggs and use coco milk. It comes out pretty good. They don't stick at all and brown up really nicely. They are a little gummy. Ingredients are:Sweet Brown Rice Flour, tapioca flour, arrowroot flour, rice milk powder, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, ground vanilla bean.

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
#64 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Really?!? Holy smokes. Wouldn't that be nice.
or annoying if you're coming from my end

totally OT other than that it's poop-related I just caught a pee and poop! At 4 days old! Second try, 12th poopy diaper or so in 24 hours...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#65 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
the "real" stuff (which is all fake) is much sweeter than spaghetti sauce and has peppers in it (my spaghetti sauce doesn't) and it's got a "tang" that regular spaghetti sauce doesn't have....

Nope, haven't gotten a good biscuit yet!

I got mine within the first couple months for all of them. I had a 50-ish day cycle before and after (until about 2 years after G, when they went haywire).

Chlobo - are you SURE you have all their trigger foods out? I'd still say that adenoids are a reaction to something, because aren't they another form of filter like tonsils are? It just seems like there's got to be a reason.

I've painted, I've gardened, I've raked....
I'm not srue we have all the triggers out but I"m also not sure how to figure out what additional triggers might be.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#66 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Ok, why? And who is it?
Dr. Lacava and it's because of STBX. Too busy to rant today so you are in luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I've got minor thyroid symptoms, but it's mostly of the low body temp sort - low temp, cold hands/feet/bum. The thyroid is the major regulator of body temp, but there's got to be other factors as well. And I'm thinking my fatigue (the other half of the symptoms) has more to do with renal acidosis, since potassium is making a big difference, and my urine pH seems to correlate well. So I won't rule out thyroid as a possibility for me, but it seems more like a symptom than a cause. Besides, if the thyroid goes out of whack, why does it do that? Doesn't that have a lot to do with nutrients and gut flora and toxicity?
Then you are hypothyroid. Body temp is involved in so many things... but most importantly running entire metabolic system and enzyme production. If you have low body temps, then that is a HUGE limiting factor.

So happy to hear your news! Welcome and enjoy your babymoon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
That's me too.

My numbers are "normal" so supposedly I have no problem. But I have a lot of the symptoms of hypo.
Focusing on standard blood TSH and T3/T4 is wrong. You are hypo if you have low body temps and hypo sx.

Here are 4 types of hypothyroidism that standard testing is not sensitive enough to reveal:

Quote:
The Types of Hypothyroidism7
PRIMARY HYPOTHYROIDISM: This occurs when the primary problem is in the thyroid gland itself, which does not produce sufficient T4 and T3 to drive the metabolism of the cells of the body and brain.

[Please read more re: description of AM/PM at web link.. I think this is what happens to me b/c I'm super cold at night! --Jane].

SECONDARY (OR PITUITARY) HYPOTHYROIDISM: This occurs when there is no problem within the thyroid gland itself but the pituitary gland... does not secrete adequate amounts of TSH. [clipped read more at website link]

TERTIARY, CENTRAL OR HYPOTHALAMIC HYPOTHYROIDISM: ... inadequate secretion of TRH by the hypothalamus to keep the pituitary gland secreting enough TSH to produce enough T4 and T3 [clipped read more at website link]

NON-THYROIDAL-ILLNESS (NTI) HYPOTHYROIDISM: ...no problem in the thyroid, pituitary or hypothalamic glands but another illness in the body that interferes with the peripheral or tissue conversion of T4 into T3. T4, TSH and TRH levels are all normal [clipped read more at website link]8

http://www.westonaprice.org/Best-Kept-Secret.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyscoutmom View Post
What? Allergies can be related to thyroid? I missed part of this conversation. But I am borderline hypo.
Another one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
since we're talking about thyroid, I'll add mine. I've always exinited hypothyroid issues. A year ago I tried taking iodine and had a miserable detox reaction. Tried again in the summer. This fall I had a full work up and tested at 0.55, with I believe a high t3(is that the one that receives the conversion?). I tested again when pregnant and I got even lower 0.2. I am suspecting that the occasional iodine put me in a hyperthyroid state.
Have you had anti thyroid antibodies testing? ATA, for Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroiditis. I would suspect that based on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
We see the therapist on Thursday again (every 2 weeks). DH is treating the dishwasher like it's a game. The rules seem to be 1) I have to remind him to do it 2) if I remind him, he has the right to be bitter about it and say "I'll do it soon" (eta: snarkily) and 3) if I don't remind him, he gets to go to work the next day without doing the dishes and I either have to a) do the dishes or b) work around the mess that should've been cleaned up the day before.
This is exactly was has gone on in our house, kind of scary to see it explained so to the T. Ridiculous and childish. As it was one of the things which directly led us to divorce, be careful and be persistent. It's exhausting and demeaning to constantly have "the buck stop here". I really feel for you!! I don't know how to change a situation and a husband that does this. Obviously I was not sucessful.

What made it worse is that my "partner" relished (still relishes) me getting upset over things like this. It is a game to punish me. Both of our therapists (good and bad one) catagorized our relationship as Parent-Child. I was the Parent. Hopefully your therapist is better at stopping the game playing.

Quote:
Allergy-related: DD2 does react to sauerkraut.
Amines in ferments?

Quote:
She was sick before our trip (hand, foot and mouth disease), had a really high fever, then started learning new words every day since. So I'm not so worried about that anymore. I think she has 40+ words now at 22 mos.
How is her retinol intake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by menomena View Post
my computer sat in a puddle of chicken broth for awhile on friday (crockpot explosion while i was gone). it is currently non-functional, so i have to steal minutes on dh's...
YIKES! How does a crockpot explode?? Sounds like something that I would do. I do broth all the time now in a crockpot figuring it was safer than the stove (which led to disaster on a few occasions.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
My brothers get that gorgeous bronze of Native Americans. I just burn and burn and burn.
I've heard B vitamin deficiency in addition to too many omega 6s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
And my TSH is 2.31, which after some reading seems like it's NOT normal given all my recent symptoms (weight gain, debilatating fatigue, etc etc etc).
You are hypothyroid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
I just made marshmallows. It was very easy, tasty and sticky. I used maple syrup instead of lyle's syrup and it worked well.
Oooooo, recipe pretty please?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
I'm very sad today because we saw the ENT yesterday and apparently DSs adenoids are covering practically the entire back of his nasal cavity causing all sorts of problems. Trouble is, the only "cure" I can find is surgery. Makes me feel like I've failed in some way. And I am having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that nature intended this and there isn't some underlying cause. However, it's causing all sorts of problems so we likely need to correct the problem now rather than exploring other possibilities (if there are even any).

I would guess either food or environmental but since DS's adenoids were enlarged on his xrays, I'll be persuing this as well with you!
#67 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome back, Farmerjess.

Sloppy joes:
1 1/2 lbs ground meat (I use ground beef)
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
14.5oz can diced tomatoes
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 teaspoon black pepper

either:
1 tablespoon tamari plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice plus a dash of cardamom
OR
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

and either:
1 1/2 cups ketchup
OR
1 batch Jacqueline's "ketchup replacer" (this is what I always use)

Brown and drain the ground meat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until tender. Add all other ingredients and mix well. Simmer for 20 minutes and serve over rice, bread, biscuits, buns or however you usually eat sloppy joes.

As always, still a work in progress.

"Ketchup replacer" (I use this because the ketchup you buy at the store is way TOO expensive to "waste" in recipes ):
6 oz can tomato paste
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon allspice
3/4 teaspoon salt

Mix all spices together with brown sugar then add tomato paste and thin with vinegar and water to desired thickness (I usually use exactly 1/4 cup of each).

eta: Will be added to my blog when Blogger stops being messed up.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#68 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 03:51 PM

Welcome Jessi and new members!

#69 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I thought early spitting up could be normal, due to normal physical development. But when does it switch to not normal? I don't know, I know DD was still occasionally spitting up at 12 mos and she was getting at least half her calories from solids at that point.
DS *never* spit up and he has allergies up the yin-yang. I know of many many babies who spit up regularly and not a one.
#70 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 04:02 PM

Mamafish,

Forgive me but you have hypothyroid sx too? I forget.

Tanya?

Just your DD or you too?

That's a lot of folks to be just a coinky-dink.
#71 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
DS *never* spit up and he has allergies up the yin-yang. I know of many many babies who spit up regularly and not a one.
And no allergies? Cause sadly, most of the kids I know have odd stuff going on that, in one way or another, seems food intolerance related to me.
#72 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 04:07 PM

I've long attempted and failed to do Dr. Rind's temp chart for uncovering adrenal and thyroid issues:
http://www.drrind.com/therapies/meta...perature-graph

It involves taking your temp 3x per day (like 9AM, 12PM, 3PM) and charting the average. I always do great for a few days and then slack. My health is always been second priority to DS's!

Rind's Thyroid scale is interesting:
http://www.drrind.com/therapies/thyroid-scale-matrix

I've just managed Broda Barnes' Basal Body temp test in the AM, which reveals low thyroid only if your temps are low.
#73 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Tanya?

Just your DD or you too?
DD what? Frustrating day here, I feel like I can't keep a thought in my head.

My thyroid's a lot better than a few years ago, but I still think I'm somewhat hypo. But not my biggest concern right now, I think it'll keep getting better. I'll re-evaluate in the fall.

So what do you think is causal for thyroid issues? Cause it looks nutritional to be, albeit with varieties of _why_ the nutrients are messed up.
#74 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
And no allergies? Cause sadly, most of the kids I know have odd stuff going on that, in one way or another, seems food intolerance related to me.
Well maybe now that you say that re: intolerance yes maybe it could be but I was just thinking IgE... bad me!
#75 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 04:11 PM

I think it's projectile vomiting that is the main concern? Or copious amounts plus other symptoms? (Like colicky) Who knows?

Okay, so my sloppy joes weren't anything like real sloppy joes! Oh well, everyone liked them here, lol. I'll have to try real ones next time.

I need to make yogurt today. I don't want to do anything. I've got two whiny girls on my lap, so I might not get to do anything!

typos likely

#76 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 04:12 PM

FTR, I am very hypothyroid. Happened at 5 months pp. I am on armour now. I feel tired and crappy a lot still. Morning temps are a little low (low 97's pre-ov).

Jessi wife of mama to Lil D (10/08)
#77 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 04:12 PM

Jane, if you haven't already, check out CS's thread in Dental?

I was wondering about the non-food-sensitive people in your world, I mean, really? Jane? The IgE/non-IgE thing makes that make much more sense.
#78 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Mamafish,

Tanya?

Just your DD or you too?

you can add me to the hypo list

typos likely

#79 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Mamafish,

Tanya?

Just your DD or you too?

LOL - no, don't think so. Just read a couple of symptoms lists, and they don't jump out as a fit. But that may line up with your "not a coinky-dink" theory. I'm one of the few chat regulars who is here for kid issues only, I think. Doesn't surprise me I could have passed on bad genes though - my family is riddled with autoimmune issues.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#80 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
DD what? Frustrating day here, I feel like I can't keep a thought in my head.

My thyroid's a lot better than a few years ago, but I still think I'm somewhat hypo. But not my biggest concern right now, I think it'll keep getting better. I'll re-evaluate in the fall.

So what do you think is causal for thyroid issues? Cause it looks nutritional to be, albeit with varieties of _why_ the nutrients are messed up.
Sorry to hear that, breathe!

I thought it was your DD that had thyroid issues but couldn't remember if it was you too.

Yes, the 3 Big Bears: nutrients, immune system, toxicity. Don't know if there is a genetic component. Which of course genetics are triggered by the big 3 as well.

DS doesn't have fatigue or energy problems, just the food and immune system related issues. I don't know if the iodine he is getting in our raw dairy is doing the trick or what. I guess I need to temp test him again.

Hmmmm, feeling like maybe I should have asked who here *doesn't* have hypo sx!!
#81 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 04:22 PM

Jane- thanks for posting those thyroid links. Will have to go read up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
or annoying if you're coming from my end

totally OT other than that it's poop-related I just caught a pee and poop! At 4 days old! Second try, 12th poopy diaper or so in 24 hours...
Yay for catches!!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#82 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjess View Post
FTR, I am very hypothyroid. Happened at 5 months pp. I am on armour now. I feel tired and crappy a lot still. Morning temps are a little low (low 97's pre-ov).
You might want to change to another natural form, Armour changed their formula and it's not working as well as it used to:
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com...-have-learned/

Or you need to go up.
#83 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You might want to change to another natural form, Armour changed their formula and it's not working as well as it used to:

Or you need to go up.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#84 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
LOL - no, don't think so. Just read a couple of symptoms lists, and they don't jump out as a fit. But that may line up with your "not a coinky-dink" theory. I'm one of the few chat regulars who is here for kid issues only, I think. Doesn't surprise me I could have passed on bad genes though - my family is riddled with autoimmune issues.
this is the best list of symptoms I've found:

I'm at a point in my healing that the things I thought were "just me", some present pretty much all my life... are all hypo sx. Interestingly enough some had improved since going WAPF nutrition crazy for last 4 years but not enough. And I thought I was done healing. Ugh.

I suspect the fact that my DS's hairy back is lanugo from low body temp! I found this out reading some autism/mercury parent discussion.
#85 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
you can add me to the hypo list
Well the list is so long you can add me too.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#86 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 04:57 PM

I wonder if low body temps at night is involved in night waking for kids? It is for me.
#87 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
What about a pound cake type? Can you do that eggless?
Pound Cake is what - a pound of sugar, a pound of butter, a pound of eggs, and a pound of flour. It seems like an integral part... of course if I were to make it dairy free, egg free, gluten-free, what exactly would it be? If it were me, I'd add a gum (probably more than usual since you're making up for the gluten glue and egg glue) and extra vanilla, and do shortening instead of butter, and a gluten free flour mix, add some baking powder, and who knows what else...

The doctor I went to about my thyroid (considering I have multinodular goiter) is one of the ones that doesn't go strictly by the numbers. And she put me on a low dose to see if it helped, and it didn't do anything. So she said it was all probably something else. Though she the person that recommended that I find an osteopath (she was also an osteopath by training).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#88 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I have a question on the fertility discussion. For those who are breastfeeding (or who did extended breastfeeding), when did you get your cycle back? DD is 22 months old and I still don't have my cycle back. Doesn't make TTCing much of an option right now. DD is definitely nursing less during the day but still nurses a lot at night. When I work outside the home 2 days a week I pump once. I'd really like to cut out that pumping session but DD still takes milk sometimes when I'm gone so I need some pumped milk. I would also love to nightwean but that just isn't an option when DD already wakes up every hour crying. Just wondering what it would take for my cycle to come back ...

mine came back at 23 months, 21 months and 25 months for my 3 kids. i also work but don't pump because i always came home when baby needed to nurse. now i come home at lunch only. i have found that it seems like once there is a significant stretch between nursing sessions at least 1x per day (ie the child starts sleeping longer sessions or reverse cycling and not nursing as much during the day and nursing more at night) is when i would get my period back. i just needed one longer stretch... about 6 hours or so and this needed to be consistent for a few weeks. hth in some way. i hear you on the desire to not nurse at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjess View Post
We use the namaste pancake mix and sub a ripe banana for eggs and use coco milk. It comes out pretty good. They don't stick at all and brown up really nicely. They are a little gummy. Ingredients are:Sweet Brown Rice Flour, tapioca flour, arrowroot flour, rice milk powder, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, ground vanilla bean.
i bought this mix the other day as i am just getting into gluten free baking and figured it easier to start with a safe mix. might try the banana sub.. we have some very ripe ones on the counter right now.

jen mommy to dd1 (11y), dd2 (6y) and ds (3y)
#89 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Sorry to hear that, breathe!

I thought it was your DD that had thyroid issues but couldn't remember if it was you too.

DD is surprisingly normal seeming--DH's genetic contribution. But interesting--our acupuncturist said that the indented line down the middle of your tongue isn't actually a normal feature of everyone's tongues, it's an adrenal symptom. Whoops, and hers is more prominent than DS's, and I think various stresses, plus probably starting out weak due to me, have contributed. So far, I think that's the only physical symptom I've seen as more similar between her and me.

If either had hypo issues, I'd expect it to be DS, he has my genes and more symptoms like me. But so far, I'm not seeing anything blatant going on.

Yes, the 3 Big Bears: nutrients, immune system, toxicity. Don't know if there is a genetic component. Which of course genetics are triggered by the big 3 as well.
The whole gene issue is interesting. whoMe's 23andme link is interesting, but since _think_ we're figuring out enough stuff now I think I'd like to wait, say, 5-10 years and see what's on the market then. DH and I are seriously opposite in a lot of ways, and maybe before the kids reach their majority we should try to quantify that--just in case anyone ever asks them "have you ordered X and such test?"
#90 of 960 Old 04-02-2010, 06:38 PM

I'm no lactation specialist, but I think spit up in the first month is more a volume/foremilk/positioning issue. After about 4-6 weeks, it seems to be more allergy related from what I've observed.

hypo here and metals issues.

Pat

I have a blog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page