Amazing April Allergies Chat!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 960 Old 04-03-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Ds has loooong arms and legs and fingers and toes. And light hair. I think we really *are* low, low, low copper. And vit A. And K. I think I must be liver-deficient. I have two whole lamb livers in the freezer. What's the yummiest/most palatable/fastest way to consume them? Nessa, you around?

And two totally OT asides:
First, after 3 catches yesterday, I caught another pee just now. ec is awesome!

Second, you know how things make you overly emotional postpartum? My high school is awesome, too
I don't think that's you being overly emotional. It brought tears to my eyes too. Thank you so much for sharing!

Yay on catches! Good for you for starting early. I was stupid.

Liver. Um. I like it fried with lots of onions and bacon. Fry the bacon and onions first and then fry the liver in the drippings. Make sure you trim out any of the veiny things you see or you end up with tough liver bits. Yuk.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#122 of 960 Old 04-03-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Ds has loooong arms and legs and fingers and toes. And light hair. I think we really *are* low, low, low copper. And vit A. And K. I think I must be liver-deficient. I have two whole lamb livers in the freezer. What's the yummiest/most palatable/fastest way to consume them? Nessa, you around?

Stop it! He's awesome and perfect.

Pate is fast and easy-ish. I just chop up the liver into thin slices or chunks, saute it for a few minutes, then throw it into my food processor with a bunch of oil (I'm sure you could use butter- that would be way better!) and onion and .... few spices? I don't remember what all I used last time I made it. eta: and yeah to what JR said- definitely cut out the veiny pieces!

And yay for more catches. EC definitely does rock. We didn't start until 7mo for DD, and it was really exciting then. I can't imagine the excitement of catching newborn pees!

Whew. I just put in a REALLY big vitamin order with the last of our tax return. I was going to order from 3 different places, but it turns out that I found the best prices all at one site (thanks Nessa!). And this month they have an extra 10% off Thorne if you sign up for their email promos.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#123 of 960 Old 04-03-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

Pate is fast and easy-ish. I just chop up the liver into thin slices or chunks, saute it for a few minutes, then throw it into my food processor with a bunch of oil (I'm sure you could use butter- that would be way better!) and onion and .... few spices? I don't remember what all I used last time I made it.
I know... But since I was already thinking copper for myself, this kind of confirms it for me. Don't worry. I look at him and the *only* thought in my head is 'sooooooooo cute.' I looked up copper foods, and oysters, lobster and liver all sound strangely good. So I'm going with it. It's fun - I've been so hungry and craving paleo-type foods. Dairy, grains, baked goods, sugar, chocolate? Blah. Fruit, sausage, tomatoes, carrots, coconut water, salad juice? Gimme gimme gimme! And then I feel so nourished that I'm filling those calorie needs with yummy nutrients instead of empty muffins like with dd. The plan is to focus on A/K2/copper for the next couple months, till things even out, and not think about anything nutrition at least till then. I think those 3'll be HUGE for us, so it doesn't even make sense to *try* thinking about stuff while it's all settling.

I wonder if I could eat enough pate... I'm thinking full meals would be most efficient, but then it's a separate thing for me vs dh and dd... Tough one.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#124 of 960 Old 04-03-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I don't think that's you being overly emotional. It brought tears to my eyes too. Thank you so much for sharing!
I was trying to tell dh what the video was about, and could barely get the words out. He had to ask me a couple times if everything was ok.

#125 of 960 Old 04-03-2010, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, TOTALLY off topic but..

I the blues!
And Pandora rocks.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#126 of 960 Old 04-03-2010, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I was trying to tell dh what the video was about, and could barely get the words out. He had to ask me a couple times if everything was ok.
Okay. Well maybe that was a little over the top but..

#127 of 960 Old 04-03-2010, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Totally serial posting but holy sheesh. I am in SUCH a good mood today. Like, bordering on euphoric.
B12, Folate or tyrosine? Votes?

#128 of 960 Old 04-03-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Totally serial posting but holy sheesh. I am in SUCH a good mood today. Like, bordering on euphoric.
B12, Folate or tyrosine? Votes?
I don't know... but pass some my way!! I'm all crabby and PMS-y (without the P- what do you call that?) over here.

#129 of 960 Old 04-03-2010, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just a little whine (without any real wine in the house)...

Went out and weeded earlier, but I should've eaten more. I'm pretty out of shape, and this is the hottest it's been this year. Didn't feel great, took a nap (yay for weekends and DH) and now I'm spinning. Yeah, I'm sitting on the couch and spinning. counter-clockwise. Only clearly I'm just sitting, but apparently something's really off in me today. I'm going to look into more food (did eat more, but after the outdoor work) and maybe turn on the TV. But really, I need this today? He's got the kids, going to buy some candy and chocolate--not the best of plans, but I really felt icky. And still do.

whine over ... for now
#130 of 960 Old 04-03-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:

My problem with quinoa isn't so much the taste (although I admit it's not my favorite)- it's the texture. It just gets slimy and mushy if you try and bake with it.
I baked with quinoa a lot last year (before Alcat results showed DD to have a mild intolerance) and don't recall having this issue. I used Bob's Red Mill flour and the quinoa flakes. I never used the flakes by themselves in baking, so maybe that's the problem? Have you tried just the flour, or the flour mixed with the flakes?
#131 of 960 Old 04-03-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Also, I don't usually trust this kind of stuff, but I wanted something special for Easter/dd's bday coming up, so I bought flower shaped cupcake holders--silicon. Dh made muffins for breakfast and trialled and loved them. He wants more. Now I figured once in a while was fine (3 x yr or so) but would you use silicon on a regular basis? I'm thinking no--thinking implants and stuff. What are your thoughts?
Use it all the time for muffins. I think silicon is very stable as bakeware goes (most stainless leaches nickel, and most non-stick leaches all manner of nastiness).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
She feels fine and wants to know why I won't let her go swimming. The lake just melted 2 weeks ago, so the lake is about 35F. She's crazy.
I have a friend who lives in the northern fjords of Norway. Her child took the first dip in the fjord this week - and the last of the ice just disappeared last week. Not saying it's sane though .

Quote:
Second, you know how things make you overly emotional postpartum? My high school is awesome, too
I was just reading about that on another site - so cool!

Quote:
LOL - yeah that!

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#132 of 960 Old 04-03-2010, 09:40 PM

Thanks, Tanya for the 'splaining.

Well the Easter stuff should go on sale monday and the silicon flower muffin things (would you call these pans?) are Easter. I may pick up a few more, but I'm still not sure--what I read is that the oils leach into the food...not sure how true that is. I use only cast iron, stainless steel, and stoneware.

My turkey is perfection, potato salad made, sweet potatoes for dd2, now I need to piece the fruit and make the cake. I may make muffins too, who knows...

Happy Easter!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#133 of 960 Old 04-04-2010, 01:28 AM

I need some quick recipe help! I want to make this scalloped potato recipe for Easter: http://www.wailana.com/lifestyle/rec...cipe.php?id=45 (minus a few ingredients we can't have).

What can I sub for the flour? I have tapioca flour, almond flour, rice flour. Will any of those work? I was thinking maybe tapioca flour since I assume the purpose is to thicken, but I am not a baker and don't know a lot about flours. Thanks and Happy Easter everyone!
#134 of 960 Old 04-04-2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Dr. Lacava and it's because of STBX. Too busy to rant today so you are in luck!

Then you are hypothyroid. Body temp is involved in so many things... but most importantly running entire metabolic system and enzyme production. If you have low body temps, then that is a HUGE limiting factor.

So happy to hear your news! Welcome and enjoy your babymoon!

Focusing on standard blood TSH and T3/T4 is wrong. You are hypo if you have low body temps and hypo sx.
Jane,
My son w/severe allergies and asthma runs lowish body temps. I don't think he converts beta carotine well (I really have to watch his intake of vegetables with high beta carotine or risk his skin going yellow with what shouldn't be "too much") I know his either T3 or T4 were suboptimal/not great according to our Integrative Med. doctor. I can look up his numbers.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do for him. The doctor suggested more Iodine. I'm terrified of excess Iodine because everything I read talks about damaging your thyroid with too much. I did up his regular dose (which was a bit above his RDA which was 90 mcg. at 110 mcg) He's now taking I think 220 mcg per day of potassium Iodide liquid which is quite a bit above his RDA for age six. The upper tolerable limit for his age is 300 mcg and I just don't think I can go above that and not worry.

What else, if anything, can I do?
Thoughts?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#135 of 960 Old 04-04-2010, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waluso View Post
I need some quick recipe help! I want to make this scalloped potato recipe for Easter: http://www.wailana.com/lifestyle/rec...cipe.php?id=45 (minus a few ingredients we can't have).

What can I sub for the flour? I have tapioca flour, almond flour, rice flour. Will any of those work? I was thinking maybe tapioca flour since I assume the purpose is to thicken, but I am not a baker and don't know a lot about flours. Thanks and Happy Easter everyone!
I would probably go with half tapioca and half rice flour, but only because I find that straight tapioca is a little more slimy/gelatinous than I personally prefer.

#136 of 960 Old 04-04-2010, 08:12 AM

Oh brother. So the impending Easter bunny kept my 6 year old up most of the night. Sooo tired.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#137 of 960 Old 04-04-2010, 09:27 AM

Now here stands my arch-nemesis. (never knew I had one) She is The PR marketer of commercial food technology. http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Sandy_Szwarc

A friend sent me a link to an article saying that nitrates and nitrites were perfectly safe food additives. And the article has science "references", but is myopic!! VERY SCARY indeed!

" Her articles, published between March 2004 and January 2006, sought to convey reassuring messages on mercury in fish and from power plant emissions."Fishy Advice: Why We Need not Fear Methylmercury in Fish", was the headline of one. "The fear factor: Benefits of sale, healthful fish lost in sea of methylmercury concerns" was the headline on another.[6]

She has written several article mitigating the effects of mercury toxicity on humans,[7][8][9] disputing the scientific research which has shown that methyl mercury harms consumers of fish and that mercury spills in schools are harmful to children. She has argued that United States' Environmental Protection Agency moves to curb mercury emissions were excessive.[10]

She has also written to argue against legislation restricting or banning phthalates, asserting that the chemical poses no threat to the health of infants.[11], and genetically modified organisms as a danger to future agriculture.[12] "

And her blog has even more astounding "research" claims. Apparently, her job is to "work as a freelance marketing consultant and writer for commercial clients and PR agencies, developing marketing strategies, on-line and newsletter content, creating promotional materials".

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/...ated-this.html

I sent a message to Stephan Guyenet at Whole Health Source. I hope he'll tackle some of her "science" claims.

She had no way to comment or contact her that I could find.

Shocking.

Pat

I have a blog.
#138 of 960 Old 04-04-2010, 10:03 AM

so I got a ham from our meatshare. It says its maple cured. Do you think that its a raw ham & I should follow those instructions or would you think its been partially cooked? I really have no idea and it didn't come with instructions. Obviously, there is a huge difference in cooking time between raw & reheating.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#139 of 960 Old 04-04-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
Jane,
My son w/severe allergies and asthma runs lowish body temps. I don't think he converts beta carotine well (I really have to watch his intake of vegetables with high beta carotine or risk his skin going yellow with what shouldn't be "too much") I know his either T3 or T4 were suboptimal/not great according to our Integrative Med. doctor. I can look up his numbers.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do for him. The doctor suggested more Iodine. I'm terrified of excess Iodine because everything I read talks about damaging your thyroid with too much. I did up his regular dose (which was a bit above his RDA which was 90 mcg. at 110 mcg) He's now taking I think 220 mcg per day of potassium Iodide liquid which is quite a bit above his RDA for age six. The upper tolerable limit for his age is 300 mcg and I just don't think I can go above that and not worry.

Thoughts?
Rachelle, consider some more selenium? Is he getting any now? It's important for T4 to T3 conversion, plus it has immune system functions. If you'll accept an anecdote from my dog.... she's been hypo since DD was born (DD is 6) and was on doggie Synthroid but still getting hyperkeratinization on the pads of her feet--one cause is apparently vit A deficiency. I gave her liver for the A and it went away, then I slacked for quite a while (her dog food had beta carotene) but I'd started giving her brazil nuts for the selenium. The hyperkeratinization didn't come back, I fiddled with it enough to feel confident that, for her, selenium was a big part of both the T4 to T3 issue (I had to taper her meds down a lot) and the beta-carotene/vitA issue.

At first I gave her about 100mcg per day (1 brazil nut), she's 50 pounds, later probably less than half that.
#140 of 960 Old 04-04-2010, 12:25 PM

Kids are so cute. Searching for eggs (plastic) was a bit disjointed, but it got done and the kids were happy. DD, 6, found more than DS, almost 4, even with a bit of assistance to DS on my part.

And they're eating everything right now... and DS ran out first, and so DD just gives him one of hers, and they each eat, then she gives him more. We don't have a ton of sugar around, so it's nice that she's so willing to share.

I am making peppermint tea, anticipating stomach aches. It'll be hilarious if they eat this much sugar without any ill effect.

Wish us luck, I think I'll be trying the black bean chocolate cake recipe this afternoon, plus the new food colorings for the frosting.
#141 of 960 Old 04-04-2010, 01:24 PM

Happy Easter!!! The egg hunt went well here too. The girls ate all the chocolate chip in their eggs. They only had two eggs with chocolate chips so not a big quantity of chocolate. They had a blast after bkftt with all the dif stickers and did lots of crafts.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#142 of 960 Old 04-04-2010, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Wasn't much of a hunt here. DH's family never hunted for Easter treats so he doesn't think about where to hide them and I was too tired to try to find hiding spots last night so we just set them out on the floor in front of the entertainment stand.
DS2 and DS3 were on opposing schedules last night, waking up every hour (ie DS2 woke up at 10pm, DS3 woke up at 11pm) so I was getting half hour breaks between nursing (when I was lucky). Usually as soon as one's done, the other wakes up and then I nurse that one and half about an hour before the next one wakes.
They all got Pure Fun lollipops, maple syrup hard candies and Surf's Sweet jelly beans (DS3 got a lollipop and a cloth book). DS2 got a Thomas the Train toy and bath crayons and DS1 got a bicycle tire patch kit and a tire pump. They've decided they don't like the maple syrup candies.
Turkey's in the oven and I'm heading out with DS1. DH will be watching DS2 and DS3 for a while.

#143 of 960 Old 04-04-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Turkey's in the oven and I'm heading out with DS1. DH will be watching DS2 and DS3 for a while.

Happy Easter everyone. We're doing absolutely nothing Easter related. I had all these plans in my head... and then said forget it- DD doesn't know anything about Easter yet, so she has no idea she's missing anything. Is that horrible? I'm going to hit Fred Meyer this afternoon to hopefully pick up a bunch of Easter stuff on clearance so that I'll have it ready for next year.

#144 of 960 Old 04-04-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Happy Easter everyone. We're doing absolutely nothing Easter related. I had all these plans in my head... and then said forget it- DD doesn't know anything about Easter yet, so she has no idea she's missing anything. Is that horrible?
minus the plans in my head part, but an extra for JR

During the midwife visit yesterday, I started slowly seeing spots while sitting in the rocking chair. LOTS of food fixed it. Then last night I got all shaky and weak feeling in the middle of the night. Coconut water, more water, 2 eggs and a plate of REALLY salty tomatoes fixed. No more CLO for me until I can get this food/hydration thing figured out. Yie yie yie. Thank goodness ds is an awesome sleeper and lets me nap with him . There's a postpartum doula-in-training in the area offering free care in exchange for evals. We might just take her up on it...

Oh, and my midwife is stunned that I haven't had even a hint of sore nipples. Dd's latch is the only uncomfortable one. folate!

#145 of 960 Old 04-04-2010, 04:52 PM

Yay Shannon, on things going very well!

Quote:

Happy Easter everyone. We're doing absolutely nothing Easter related. I had all these plans in my head... and then said forget it- DD doesn't know anything about Easter yet, so she has no idea she's missing anything. Is that horrible? I'm going to hit Fred Meyer this afternoon to hopefully pick up a bunch of Easter stuff on clearance so that I'll have it ready for next year.
Seems VERY practical to me. I continue to take advantage of stuff like that. DS's birthday party will be at a park this year, just cupcakes and balloons and playing with friends, no planned activities, nothing. And I think he'll be happy with that.

Dang it's humid here. Our first blast of summer humidity, it's flattening us. And DH is driving to Austin this evening, hopefully he'll be back Tuesday night.

Last little bit of cleaning/tidying/organizing:
1/2 coffee table done
dining room & buffet
pics to mail to mom
paper to mail to a friend
laundry mostly put away (sad that this builds up so much, but it's nuts!)
1/2 done vacuuming around edges (wood floors, fur and stuff buildup)
tiny bit of surface tidying in bedroom & bathroom

The list is to help motivate myself--it's really not that much, it'll be easy. And half the yard is weeded, looks a lot better!
#146 of 960 Old 04-04-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Rachelle, consider some more selenium? Is he getting any now? It's important for T4 to T3 conversion, plus it has immune system functions. If you'll accept an anecdote from my dog.... she's been hypo since DD was born (DD is 6) and was on doggie Synthroid but still getting hyperkeratinization on the pads of her feet--one cause is apparently vit A deficiency. I gave her liver for the A and it went away, then I slacked for quite a while (her dog food had beta carotene) but I'd started giving her brazil nuts for the selenium. The hyperkeratinization didn't come back, I fiddled with it enough to feel confident that, for her, selenium was a big part of both the T4 to T3 issue (I had to taper her meds down a lot) and the beta-carotene/vitA issue.
So I read this, dozed with ds, and it came swimming back at me. You're not helping me keep my mind off nutrition Where are my brazil nuts!?

#147 of 960 Old 04-04-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
Jane,

Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post

At first I gave her about 100mcg per day (1 brazil nut), she's 50 pounds, later probably less than half that.
Okay, so I just realized my response sounds flat-out weird. Thing is, I was really hypo for a year, it took that long for my TSH to drift out of the reference range (and I couldn't get anyone to test free-T3 and free-T4), but just at the time I finally got my Synthroid Rx, I found ithyroid.com and read about nutrients needed for thyroid function, and verified as much as I could (given I had some brain-fog issues) and jumped in. And in 2 weeks, a lot of my symptoms lifted. So that's where the selenium thing came from--and since selenium supplementation can reduce thyroid antibodies, well, it's another thing to help normalize immune function. And eventually, with zinc and selenium being big players in thyroid stuff, and the glutathione connection, was the beginning of finding my answers about why I was sick in the first place.

So, I'm not just saying, "Hey Rachelle, out of the blue I fiddled with stuff for my dog, and you should do the same for your son" although I admit, my first response sounded WAY too close to that. But there was backstory, really!
#148 of 960 Old 04-04-2010, 05:49 PM

We're not doing Easter, though some friends might come over and hang out

I'm excited because I have a "new" theory for ds's sensitivities! Yay! I think it involves sals sensitivity (but not super sensitive), and also sensitive to some amines, glutamates, and added sulfites, and too much sulfur foods. Or maybe just some of those. Now to test my theory...

My older ds elected to cut out eggs to see if they are the cause of the rash on his shoulder. I'm really impressed- he kept at it even after learning that mayo would be out! It's been 2 full days, and the rash on his shoulder might be looking better. Hopefully if it is eggs, he can still have mayo and baked goods.
Next on the list is dairy, then wheat. Hopefully we don't get that far!

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#149 of 960 Old 04-04-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Isn't it super cool when you catch a pee in the beginning? I've showed people who were totally amazed!
Ds2 was on a potty strike, and we caught a pee today, so that made me happy!

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#150 of 960 Old 04-04-2010, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

I know, right?
DS1 and I went to see Diary of a Wimpy Kid together. DH was going to take him but I called unfair. I smuggled in beef jerky.

CS, I pretty much avoided all Easter/Christmas/big holiday stuff until DS1 was about 4. I mean, we celebrated but way scaled down and usually after it was "really" over (partly bc I was pretty financially uh challenged so took advantage of the sales). It really used to tick my mom off. She felt I was neglecting him by doing that. I looked her in the face and said "Aren't you ALWAYS complaining about how secular/materialistic these things have become?" "well yeah but" is not a good enough response for me, in case anyone's wondering.

eta: DevaMajka

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page