MTHFR --- Direction, Where to start - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-27-2010, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this has been discussed a lot on this board and you all have been uncovering a lot. It just seemed beyond anything I could absorb at the time when my son was an infant and I was still in the stopping-eczema and vomiting and diarrhea phase. (Which we still go through sometimes...)

Anyway, now I am looking into whether I may have MTHFR but I don't know where to start without getting overwhelmed. I was hoping to find help from someone about that. The threads are great, but I am getting lost...

Just dealt with a loss recently and am realizing I have a lot of health issues in my family that may be pointing to MTHFR.

Ok, thanks so much, as always!
#2 of 7 Old 04-27-2010, 07:44 AM

I'm sorry for your recent loss.

When I thought I might test positive for MTHFR last year, the first things I did was start a mega dose of folic acid, B6 & B12. I also printed out a list of all the food that naturally had these things & tried to eat multiple servings of these foods in a day. I also tried to drink red grape juice every day. Because it is a blood clotting issue, I realized that I needed to start doing regular exercise to improve blood flow. I didn't end up testing positive for it, but saw a dramatic improvement in my homocysteine levels after doing these things.

Mom of 5: dd (10), ds (8) & dd2 (4), my sweet baby son born still 3/2/09, and celebrating the arrival of our dd 5/7/10.
#3 of 7 Old 04-27-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatmommy View Post
I'm sorry for your recent loss.

When I thought I might test positive for MTHFR last year, the first things I did was start a mega dose of folic acid, B6 & B12. I also printed out a list of all the food that naturally had these things & tried to eat multiple servings of these foods in a day. I also tried to drink red grape juice every day. Because it is a blood clotting issue, I realized that I needed to start doing regular exercise to improve blood flow. I didn't end up testing positive for it, but saw a dramatic improvement in my homocysteine levels after doing these things.
Don't you need folate though instead of folic acid?
#4 of 7 Old 04-27-2010, 04:01 PM

I'm sorry for your loss mama.

I don't ever hang here in the allergies forum, but I saw your thread come up as a new thread and decided to read it because I am homozygous for an MTHFR genetic variant.

First of all have you talked to your dr about it? I'm not sure how easy it is to get tested. For me it happened in an attempt to discover the reasons behind my miscarriages. If you didn't have someone willing to send you for testing would you be able to at least get a test of your B12 and folate levels? And/or homocysteine? That might be a start in figuring things out.

And, to answer your question, yes, for a lot of people with the MTHFR genetic variant it's necessary to take folate instead of folic acid. You could look into taking a B multi by Thorne (I know they make one with methyl folate).

Another thing you might want to do a little reading about (ie. internet searching) is "undermethylation" and "overmethylation" to see if any symptoms ring any bells with you.

ETA re. the blood clotting I take fish oil daily to help keep the old blood a bit thinner. There are other natural blood thinners too (garlic, vit E, etc). I would feel safe in taking fish oil as a preventative even if I didn't know I had a blood-clotting disorder. There aren't too many instances in which it's counter-indicated.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#5 of 7 Old 04-27-2010, 04:06 PM

I, too, am very sorry for your loss. I have the MTHFR gene mutation! It's a simple genetic blood test as far as the testing goes. The treatment for it is, like the previous poster said, high doses of folic acid (folate), b6 and B12. I took a combination pill called Folgard (prescription strength) that you can also buy over the counter online, you just have to take double or triple the amount of it. Also, during pregnancy you would need to be on baby aspirin or possibly a stronger anti-clotting agent depending on if you are heterozygous or homozygous. The way I understand it is that with the MTHFR mutation your body does not get rid of clots like it normally would, it can also effect how you metabolize amino acids.

I recently had my son tested for it because he has so many intolerances and couldn't tolerate anything with a high protein amount. His test was negative though, he did not have the gene mutation. '

Hope that helps a little bit!
Valerie
#6 of 7 Old 04-29-2010, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, mamas. You've given me a place to start for myself and at least a basic knowledge of what to first bring up at my follow-up appointment in a few days. Just hoping to find answers so I can go from there. Thank you, again!
#7 of 7 Old 04-29-2010, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

posted in wrong spot, sorry!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page