May Flowers Make Me Sneeze (and Chat!) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2010, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess I had it wrong- yesterday on TED, and the previous day was a few more foods, but all from my "probably safe" list. The few days before that was all "safe" stuff, plus potatoes and rice thins (ing. rice, safflower oil, salt).
My TED is black beans, rice cereal (ing. rice, sugar cane, sea salt, molasses), cow's milk, butter, banana, and flax. So I ate a lot of all of that. Ds ate banana, rice, black beans, and butter (mostly banana and rice).

It's worse today than it was yesterday, and yesterday was worse than the previous day. It was pretty steady before that for about a week.

Interestingly enough, the AK we did said that ds was sensitive to banana and cow's milk (but not cheese or butter). I kind of pushed it aside because his rash never seemed to correlate to him eating bananas, but obviously we ate a LOT of them yesterday. And the AK said sweet potato was fine, which it most likely is not, so I sort of lost a lot of faith in it.
I wonder what would happen if I avoided only what was on the AK list and sweet potato...

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 05:41 PM

DevaM, I'd suspect lots of dairy is running down mag (and you're maybe getting a sals rash because of it) - how much mag are you and he taking, and how much of it is separate from dairy?

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Old 05-03-2010, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaMajka View Post
Does it mean anything if ds's rash is worse after 2 days on a TED? Does it mean I have the wrong foods, or could I be on the right track, and it's a delayed reaction from something 3-4 days ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I would say you have the wrong foods. If it's worse- what are you eating *more* of than usual?
I agree with CS. If it was the same, it could be delayed reaction. But if it's worse, then it's probably something you're eating more of. Honestly, if you're trialing something, like dairy, take it ALL out, before you see if you can handle the butter or cheese. That's the only way to know for sure.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 05-03-2010, 06:00 PM

I would have thought that, except that I'm consuming no sals (maybe flax?). And on my sals trial I was drinking milk, and his rash didn't flare up (his sleep got worse though).
I'm taking mag once a day (no calcium in it), and still giving him ES baths.

I'm also giving him Ddrops- ing. vit D from lanolin, Thin vegetable oil (purified components of coconut and palm oil). He's not reacted to lanolin applied topically.

eta- I tested dairy a while back, but we've NEVER hit baseline. (I take that back- in the last 3 mos there was one day he had no rash). I couldn't keep taking things OUT, because I was going crazy and losing too much weight as it was. When I tried dairy, it didn't make it worse, so I added it back to take something else out.

I think I have a better handle on my emotional response to lack of variety in foods now. I'm dealing really well with this TED so far. Well, my grandma is coming to visit for a week- so I'm not going to do a TED while she's here, unless ds's rash gets even worse during that time. It's not worth the stress! But after she leaves, I'll come up with a new TED and try it out.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Fiore's Italian Bakery. Hmm. Interesting. I think that's the bakery from which DH's gma orders birthday cakes. She brought one for FIL's birthday the last time she came down and now it's all I can think of when birthdays roll around. It's one of their family traditions. I wonder if they'd be able to do one with our restrictions.

eta: Oh yes! Also, I've lost my taste for beans, finally. It only took about 16 lbs.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 05-03-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I would have thought that, except that I'm consuming no sals (maybe flax?). And on my sals trial I was drinking milk, and his rash didn't flare up (his sleep got worse though).
I'm taking mag once a day (no calcium in it), and still giving him ES baths.
Potatoes have sals, especially if you're eating lots of them - and bananas have amines (phenols), which can sometimes drain the same nutrients.

I always start to suspect nutrients when someone is seeing things get worse on the same foods that have been OK for a while. Eating too much of any food can deplete nutrients.

How's his sleep?

Old 05-03-2010, 07:47 PM

true... you could be right. I did think about the phenols in bananas using the same pathway after I posted earlier. No offense, but I hope you're wrong It seems like it would be so much easier if I figure out its something like bananas. lol.

His rash is even worse now than it was a few hours ago. Now it has spread and is bumpy all over the area between his belly button and penis.
His sleep is still great- has been for a good week. Last night he nursed probably 3 times, and had about a 4 hour stretch. No hour long midnight play sessions recently.

We're trading pears for banana, to see what happens. Next to be cut is milk.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

so, Saturday I ate something and didn't read the ingredients (a cookie ).
Sunday, when DS2's diaper rash started, I read the ingredients after I'd already eaten another one. Coconut oil.
Today, DS2 is walking bow-legged and SCREAMED at his last diaper change.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 05-03-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
I have the book. Haven't read it. I'll get on it right now.

the back spasms could be a herx. Did your doctor talk about those with you? Basically, when the critters die off they release toxins & they can cause your symptoms to come back horribly for a while.
This happened to me terrible. I had two bad rounds of herx, a month apart, unable to walk both times, but now I can run around no problem. I heard that clay is supposed to be good during these times, but never tried it.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I guess I had it wrong- yesterday on TED, and the previous day was a few more foods, but all from my "probably safe" list. The few days before that was all "safe" stuff, plus potatoes and rice thins (ing. rice, safflower oil, salt).
My TED is black beans, rice cereal (ing. rice, sugar cane, sea salt, molasses), cow's milk, butter, banana, and flax. So I ate a lot of all of that. Ds ate banana, rice, black beans, and butter (mostly banana and rice).
My dd gets rashes like that from cow dairy and safflower. Dairy is standing out as one to cut out.

How did you determine that cheese was bad for your LO?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:02 PM

I don't know if cheese is bad or not. I was eating it with no apparent change in symptoms. But I decided to take out all food chemicals and everything that I've suspected at any point. So cheese (amines) was out.
I was wondering about the safflower myself. Milk will be cut tomorrow morning if things don't improve. (I'm sort of reluctant to give up my rice cereal with milk. It keeps me going )

I have another TED (maybe too many foods for a TED?) all thought up: Chicken or black beans, quinoa millet waffles (ing. quinoa, millet, corn free baking powder, canola oil, sugar, sea salt), maple syrup, pear.
None of which I've eaten in the last few days, with the exception of black beans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Sunday, when DS2's diaper rash started, I read the ingredients after I'd already eaten another one. Coconut oil.
Man. It so sucks that we have to watch every ingredient of every food. Sorry that your one oversight turned out so badly.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
This happened to me terrible. I had two bad rounds of herx, a month apart, unable to walk both times, but now I can run around no problem. I heard that clay is supposed to be good during these times, but never tried it.
What were you taking that gave you the herx and did your LO suffer anything as a result?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 05-03-2010, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Man. It so sucks that we have to watch every ingredient of every food. Sorry that your one oversight turned out so badly.
Yeah it does suck. I should know better than to not read something, even if DH has already done and even if I've read it before. Of course, that goes along with all of my other "I should know betters" in the world of "shoulda woulda coulda". Thanks for your sympathy. I'm obviously a little bitter with myself about it.

Hoping that my roast potatoes are done around the same time as my chicken by some magic, but I doubt they will be. They got put in like half an hour after the chicken, thanks to kidlet interruptions.
Folded 5 loads of laundry today, washed 2 and dried 1. Still have to dry one and fold another 2. Never got my meatloaves done yesterday nor the other ground beef portioned. So much to do, so little time. Oh well, I got my exercises in, so I won't complain and I'll just go through that together right now while supper's cooking.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Potatoes have sals, especially if you're eating lots of them - and bananas have amines (phenols), which can sometimes drain the same nutrients.
Sometimes I hate to love you.
This may explain much in this household.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:26 PM

Still insane around here

deva, I'd include some meat on any TED, for the methionine.

Yeah, that's all I got right now.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:38 PM

WhoMe, I love the flipping baby on your siggy. Looks like my baby right now.

Today I realized that I can't leave 9 month ds alone in the room with 3 yr dd. The window was open and she figured out how to slide the screen out. She pulled the chair up to sit and look at the birds outside. Before you know it, ds had climbed onto the windowsill and I caught him before he jumped outside. Yikes. Luckily the lawn isn't too far of a drop. No more open windows ever.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
What were you taking that gave you the herx and did your LO suffer anything as a result?
I used teasel root tincture while I had the herx. My ds had colic terrible during that time, but he too was also dealing with lyme, so I don't know if it was from my herx or the lyme he had. I gave him teasel too every time I took a dose and homeopathics. What worked for him was chamomilla 200c but that is individualized.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Yeah it does suck. I should know better than to not read something, even if DH has already done and even if I've read it before. Of course, that goes along with all of my other "I should know betters" in the world of "shoulda woulda coulda". Thanks for your sympathy. I'm obviously a little bitter with myself about it.
I hate the shoulda woulda coulda's. I'm full of them on this ED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
deva, I'd include some meat on any TED, for the methionine.
I'm considering it. Ds2 loves chicken, so at least he'd have something he likes. And now that you said that, it does seem like a better option, nutritionally.
I'm just struggling with the "meat is mean" thing after my vegan friend basically chewed me out for consuming dairy on my ED. It's no good that she chewed me out, but I do see her point. So it makes it hard.

Quote:
Today I realized that I can't leave 9 month ds alone in the room with 3 yr dd. The window was open and she figured out how to slide the screen out. She pulled the chair up to sit and look at the birds outside. Before you know it, ds had climbed onto the windowsill and I caught him before he jumped outside. Yikes. Luckily the lawn isn't too far of a drop. No more open windows ever.
Yikes! That's enough to freak a mom out!
I can totally see ds2 doing something like that. I'm going to have to watch out for this one!

Old 05-04-2010, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm considering it. Ds2 loves chicken, so at least he'd have something he likes. And now that you said that, it does seem like a better option, nutritionally.
I'm just struggling with the "meat is mean" thing after my vegan friend basically chewed me out for consuming dairy on my ED. It's no good that she chewed me out, but I do see her point. So it makes it hard.

Yikes! That's enough to freak a mom out!
I can totally see ds2 doing something like that. I'm going to have to watch out for this one!

and
ds2 tries to escape out of windows sometimes but ds3 hasn't (*knock on wood*)

Old 05-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Bummer! Clay?

Quote:
I forgot that I was going to start clay. I just ordered another bottle so I could do it (haven't gotten it yet, along with Cat's Claw). DH and DS keep gawking at the number of pills I'm taking at the moment. Okay, what is "herx" rx is usually prescription, but for this I think it's reaction, but I can't for the life of me figure out the "he" part.... help! It's driving me batty.

Quote:
I bought these plastic disks (somewhere on line, don't know where) that you put about 4" above the window midline, that allows the window to only open 4". It's like a stopper. They're easy to remove for an adult. I put them on all the upper windows when our kids were small because DS and DD2 were such maniacs.

Quote:
Sometimes you do what you have to do. It might just be a temporary thing while you're figuring out the trigger foods, then you could go back to it. And if you're getting humanely raised pastured meat, etc. then it's sort of a compromise.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 05-04-2010, 11:11 AM

I'm planning to attend the Southeast Women's Herbal Conference in Black Mtn., North Carolina in October. "Bluets" might join me! Anyone else interested?

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I love to hate that argument. Buy happy (properly raised) meat/milk. Humans need animal foods to be healthy. Animals get eaten by other animals, it's the way the world works. If you feel like sacrificing your own health to save another animal, I completely respect that and think it's an incredibly noble thing to do. Just don't do it in the name of health, and don't do it because you think all animals are raised in outrageous conditions.
End

Everyone (but me ) is fast asleep. Wonder what today has in store...

Old 05-04-2010, 02:09 PM

I think there are arguments to be made (for and against) all kinds of different diet choices. But I tend to react fairly strongly to anyone thinking their diet choice is correct for everyone else, or better than any other option. We eat locally (easy to do here!) - but when DS was suddenly reacting to so many foods, I was eating rice flour from some other continent instead of local wheat, dried mango from another continent instead of local blueberries, coconut milk from another continent instead of local dairy. His health outweighed my food preferences, by a long shot.

DevaM, I'd be suggesting to your friend that you'd be happy to take her input after she ate off your current safe food list (minus whatever she feels is *mean*) for two weeks (ideally while training for a 10K race, to simulate the demands of breastfeeding). Does *she* feel healthy after that time? Does *she* have a healthy relationship with food and eating? Does *she* still feel that meat is mean? I think being vegan, or any other diet choice not imposed by necessity, is a luxury. And sometimes we have to give up our luxuries. I've been on a low sals, GF diet. I don't see how it works without meat of some kind - even then it felt plenty tricky to get a balanced nutritional intake!

Old 05-04-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I forgot that I was going to start clay. I just ordered another bottle so I could do it (haven't gotten it yet, along with Cat's Claw). DH and DS keep gawking at the number of pills I'm taking at the moment. Okay, what is "herx" rx is usually prescription, but for this I think it's reaction, but I can't for the life of me figure out the "he" part.... help! It's driving me batty.
If you need Cat's Claw, let me know. I can send you some.

It's called a herxheimer reaction

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._reaction.html

Does that help?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
Old 05-04-2010, 03:08 PM

I feel the same about the meat- I am not typically a "meatatarian" so this TED has taken alot of getting used to. (I'd never made stock/bonebroth before! and it used to give me shivers to eat meat off a bone.) But I'm trying to buy the best I can (Kosher-organic, can't find Kosher-organic-local, haven't taken the plunge to Kosher-organic-grassfed-by-mail-order!) We do the best we can, no?

Speaking of doing the best we can... My husband unexpectedly go some work this week, the last week of my leave, and he's out of the house from 8-6 today through Friday! So much for a restful last week. (He's been the SAHparent for over a year, so while I've been on leave, we've BOTH been home!) I don't acutally have that much experience handling my 3-month old and 30-month old alone together, so we are all just doing the best we can! We spent the morning at the playground, and now DS1 is napping, and DS2 is telling me he wants to nurse... so far, so good.

L, happily married to E since 8/06, mommy to B 11/07 and J 2/10
Old 05-04-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I'm planning to attend the Southeast Women's Herbal Conference in Black Mtn., North Carolina in October. "Bluets" might join me! Anyone else interested?
Pat
Go to Asheville, eat at Salsa's.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Heaven help me.
Had a rough night. Got about 2 hours of sleep. I was just about asleep when DS2 woke up (I was having a hard time falling asleep- possibly because I've missed my evening vitamins for the last 3 nights ). Then he wouldn't go back to sleep without nursing- and then STILL wouldn't go to sleep. Then, just when I thought he was asleep, DS3 woke up and that woke DS2 back up. So DH picked up DS3 and walked around with him but every time I thought DS2 was back to sleep, DS3 would scream and wake him up again. I ended up just getting up and going back to my bed with DS3 and DS2 came to lay in there with us. But then I couldn't fall asleep again and the boys kept fighting in their sleep (DS2 would put his arm over DS3 and DS3 would scream and kick him and DS2 would laugh- all of this while they're still sleeping- unfortunately that wasn't true for me). So by the time I actually got to sleep, it was sometime after 4:30 then DS1 came in and woke me up at 6:45. *sigh*
So, on top of that, I'm supposed to walk to the store today. Which I realize it's not far, but the last time I walked there pushing DS2 in the stroller with DS3 in the Moby, my hips hurt SO BAD all day afterwards- and I wasn't exhausted to begin with. (I promised DS1 that I would go and get him extra snacks for his field trip tomorrow bc he said he gets "extra hungry" on field trips.)

eta: guess i'm extra whiney when i'm tired. sorry.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Kathy,
Coming from left field, but I use a salt/baking soda/borax mix on my toilets. I think it would do an ok job even without the borax.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:42 PM

To whom it may concern,
As fun as this whole ED has been, it's getting a little old. So if J could just stop reacting to stuff, that would be great. kthanxbye

Old 05-04-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
To whom it may concern,
As fun as this whole ED has been, it's getting a little old. So if J could just stop reacting to stuff, that would be great. kthanxbye
Yeah. That's why I have no patience for cutting more foods out and I just blast nutrients at this point. Different filter. Our reactions aren't that scary. We never got to baseline by diet alone, it's always been with the help of extra vitamins/minerals. Hmm... Adds weight to the pancreatic enzyme deficiency/malaborption theory... But the lack of fat malabsorption doesn't. Yar.

s JR Totally entertaining about the ds's fighting in their sleep, though. Do you need a 'take your supps!' reminder tonight? (not that I could give you one but...)

User Tag List