May Flowers Make Me Sneeze (and Chat!) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2010, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
I am so severely dragging. And THIRSTY! It's not normal for me to be this thirsty--reminding me of what you were talking about whome. So are thinking potassium has to do with that as well? I guess I could take some clo for the A and see if that helps.
I'm thinking the A makes me extra thirsty... But now I'm wondering if it's just making me need a ton more potassium or something. Judging by the dryness of my fingertips (which seems to be my most sensitive indicator) anyway, they seem to respond more to potassium than to water. Which kind of makes sense - salt is supposed to make you thirsty, and potassium balances the salt. Maybe the A is acting on my kidneys somehow? Now why are my feet swelling every night after dinner?

I'm losing my meat cravings. Weird. I looked in the freezer and lamb just isn't all that appetizing. And failing the beet test suddenly while on digestive enzymes with betaine HCl. Even weirder.

Last night, the liver didn't get defrosted, the broth sat out (after sitting out all day), and the jar of rice lentils and water that dd was playing with exploded. The rest of the collards didn't get cooked (I have a standing order from my mom's garden and her friend's. They brought over a giant shopping bag full that I didn't have time/hands to prep before dinner yesterday) and now we're out of broth again. This morning dh is sick which means he's home from work Because I ran out of mag and didn't have time to get more yesterday, I barely slept last night and had weird dreams. My supp order will be here tomorrow though, and I'm ever so excited. But it means it's not worth it to buy $$$ mag just for one more night. Ds is stuck on 'bad' poop (says I) and so is quick to cry over anything. But he loves watching dd, and dd is actually interacting with him a bit. Aaahhhh. I think I could make use of a food journal. I don't know if I have the brainpower though. It has to settle down at some point, right?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, this is seriously getting frigging ridiculous.
As I mentioned last week, I had my thyroid tests run and they came back "normal" but I'm still symptomatic. So, I was communicating with the office, trying to get them to ask the doctor to increase my rx- they said they would call me back and they never did and now my doctor has left for 2 weeks. However, they mentioned that I should still have 1 1/2 months of medication still at the apothecary (which I had forgot about or I'd have ordered it long ago since I don't like being completely OUT). So I phoned the apothecary to try to get them to get it ready for me but apparently they need my doctor to say it's okay. Wtf?!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 05-05-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Yeah, and I'm definitely seeing stuff too. But it doesn't make for a complete picture, and that bugs me. If it's a lack of pancreatic enzymes, why would fat be digested/absorbed just fine, but not protein? If HCl is reasonably good?

Hey, have you read anything about testing pancreatic elastase as a test of exocrine pancreatic function? Genova has a test...
So I read up - Yasko uses elastase (which is on the CSA she uses) as a marker - if it's off, you need more pancreatic support. The CSA is down the road a bit for us, I have other stuff to load in first, but sounds like it is a reasonable test to run. I might do it for DH, I think the reason he has high copper is because his bile excretion is low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjess View Post
mamafish, congrats on the dddc. fess up, whoever did it!!
I think the same person who "didn't" do it to me, "didn't" do it to Kathy .

That's awesome mag is helping, farmerjess - it was a very big deal for us, especially with metals issues.

Sleep rocks - DS slept all the way from 9pm - 7:30am this morning.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
Old 05-05-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
So I read up - Yasko uses elastase (which is on the CSA she uses) as a marker - if it's off, you need more pancreatic support. The CSA is down the road a bit for us, I have other stuff to load in first, but sounds like it is a reasonable test to run. I might do it for DH, I think the reason he has high copper is because his bile excretion is low.
Is it used to test bile? Cause bile comes from the liver while elastase comes from the pancreas... (still want to check my books re: lipase from intestines vs pancreas)

Old 05-05-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjess View Post
pat, what do you know about bringing kids (toddler) to the se herbal conference? I have been wanting to go to that. I will look into it.
Appears to be an option. http://www.sewisewomen.com/womens_he...ce/details.php
http://www.sewisewomen.com/womens_he...mmodations.php

Seems all lodging is shared, if that is an issue.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
someone's getting ddddc happy

I wish I were more witty/clever. It would be fun to give more. I mean, that is, if I'd already given one..or something...

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Old 05-05-2010, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Still on the merry-go-round with my doctor's office and the pharmacy...
*sigh*

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 05-05-2010, 08:04 PM

So I checked dd's teeth, none are loose. It's seriously starting to wig me out. I'm not bringing it up to her because I don't want her to be self conscious about it and I'm hoping she just slips back out of it again, but she's even singing that way and it all seems unintentional. We've had a lot of sugar lately...anyone else want to chime in with thoughts/ideas/things to consider?

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Old 05-05-2010, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisamommyRN View Post
Just finally looked at the ingredients on my BCP and what do I see?!? LACTOSE, and CORN STARCH. Why oh why didn't I look at this sooner? I was so careful with all the supplements and everything I put in my mouth but I guess I thought that the pill was so tiny (and I'm so loathe to give it up)... Could that really be the answer?
I went on Dep-Provera to avoid the lactose in the pill when I was BFing DS and he was intolerant to milk. It was absolutely horrible too. Horrible mood swings. Found out afterwards that they give it to sex offenders to get rid of their libido.... So don't do that!!

Quote:
I went to a presentation by a holistic nutritionist last week and she said the top 5 intolerances are wheat, dairy, soy, corn, and sugar.
I still think it's the bigger gluten, not just wheat.

Quote:
WHAT?!??!!? I didn't even notice it. So then I had to go back and look at one of my posts to see what you were talking about. Thank you to whoever "didn't" do it! Did you get your Mo yet?

I just made some awesome stuffed mushrooms (onion, garlic, parsley, basil, ground pork, pine nut/chickpea puree, salt & pepper). Yum. DH thought they were fantastic. DS loved the inside (he didn't know there were stems cut up in it, since he wouldn't "try" the mushrooms). Still waiting for the rest of dinner to come out of the oven.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 05-05-2010, 09:03 PM

Not yet, but stuff takes forever to get here. I don't even worry about it until 3 weeks pass

Old 05-05-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
So I checked dd's teeth, none are loose. It's seriously starting to wig me out. I'm not bringing it up to her because I don't want her to be self conscious about it and I'm hoping she just slips back out of it again, but she's even singing that way and it all seems unintentional. We've had a lot of sugar lately...anyone else want to chime in with thoughts/ideas/things to consider?
Sorta different, but I wonder how much is how things manifest vs totally different causes, DS stuttered really significantly a couple summers ago, it was exacerbated by stress (never really nailed down a specific nutrient, it was a stressful time) and getting generally very behind on his detox. The two seemed to intertwine together, hard to distinguish what's what. I'd think maybe DHA to help, maybe a general multivit if you aren't giving one already.

Sugar depletes nutrients in me, hard to tell which exactly, if I over-do, I either take my general mineral multi that's heavy on cal and mag but has a lot of other stuff in lesser amounts, or sometimes I just take mag alone. That's always worked for me, so I haven't had to experiment much though.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:48 PM

Hi y'all. Can anyone tell me why my sons eczema never 'appears' during the day, but when I give him an epsom salt bath... all these red areas, that sure look like eczema, show up? I always thought he was just reacting to the hot water. Now I'm not so sure....

Ok, weird question alert. Does anyone notice their hair to fluctuate between coarse and soft? (Sorry, when I'm in the shower my brain gets analytical and random). I've noticed that certain times of the month my hair is really coarse and stubbly (where I shave) and other times it's so soft I can skip shaving. I swear it has something to do with hormones b/c when I was pg my hairs were really, really soft the whole time.

Off to check on the boys. I'm a school board widow tonight. And we homeschool our kids... lol.

Melissa, wife to the one my heart loves, and SAHM to three crazy boys
Old 05-05-2010, 10:06 PM

Kathy - stuffed mushrooms sound delicious. You really rock.

Lizzybeth - I know warm water releases histamine. not sure specifically about epsom salts.

Dannic - one of my oldest's food reactions is a reduction in hearing. As the time extends, we start to hear the affect on his speech. Not sure if that is what is happening to you, but just wanted to share.
Oh, also, my youngest's speech gets more slurred. I don't think it is a hearing thing though

OK not sure if I was going to share, but hey we have a lot of poop talk around here.
My youngest has had a lot of loose poop the past few days. I'm not sure if it is a virus or a food reaction. Today when he looked into the toilet he declared "look it's poop jam!" I almost hurled. I guess we normally have well formed poop.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I went on Dep-Provera to avoid the lactose in the pill when I was BFing DS and he was intolerant to milk. It was absolutely horrible too. Horrible mood swings. Found out afterwards that they give it to sex offenders to get rid of their libido.... So don't do that!!
I was on depo for 6 or 7 years, and it sucked. I was depressed on it. A dr. told me to take more b6, and it helped a bit. It took a long time to get pg after I went off it.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:42 PM

Just lurking along today.... I've actually been really productive, so I've been reading here and there but not sitting long enough to actually respond.

So... hugs to anyone that needs one. I know there were posts I wanted to respond to, but of course I don't remember what they were now.

Oh- I was on Depo too, and like you Kathy, found out all the nasty stuff about it after I was off. But that shot messed me up bad. Every possible side effect you can imagine. My cycles haven't been the same since, and that was.. hmm, 10-12 years ago? Me and birth control just do not get along. I am just blown away by how much better I'm feeling since getting the NON-hormonal IUD removed!!

dannic- sorry about the garden. We had a freak hail storm here last night, and I ended up with about 1/2" of ice sitting on top of my beds. Luckily it rained sometime over night, so it melted off. My beans aren't looking too happy today, but everything else seems to have survived.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaMajka View Post
I was on depo for 6 or 7 years, and it sucked. I was depressed on it. A dr. told me to take more b6, and it helped a bit. It took a long time to get pg after I went off it.
I forgot who originally brought up the topic, I think HBC depletes zinc and folate too, I remember the zinc part more clearly because hey, big issue for me.

M2S, we've been having lots of minor stomach bugs here, I think they're really illnesses because I feel sick too, not just the kids, but they pass quickly at least. I need to look up something about TCM and illness seasonality--I think everything could make sense, if I could just figure it all out and learn enough.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
M2S, we've been having lots of minor stomach bugs here, I think they're really illnesses because I feel sick too, not just the kids, but they pass quickly at least. I need to look up something about TCM and illness seasonality--I think everything could make sense, if I could just figure it all out and learn enough.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
Sorta different, but I wonder how much is how things manifest vs totally different causes, DS stuttered really significantly a couple summers ago, it was exacerbated by stress (never really nailed down a specific nutrient, it was a stressful time) and getting generally very behind on his detox. The two seemed to intertwine together, hard to distinguish what's what. I'd think maybe DHA to help, maybe a general multivit if you aren't giving one already.

Sugar depletes nutrients in me, hard to tell which exactly, if I over-do, I either take my general mineral multi that's heavy on cal and mag but has a lot of other stuff in lesser amounts, or sometimes I just take mag alone. That's always worked for me, so I haven't had to experiment much though.
So this is totally where I was leaning, only you say it better. DD is in a play and while it's fun, it's more than she's ever done before...so stress, too much sugar, not enough nutrients, possible detox needs unmet.
Less sugar, b complex? Does clo have DHA? (don't recall...) I'll check my bottle. More minerals.

I also slipped and gave her a pamela's cookie two weeks ago (egg, forgot, oops). Yeah. I'll work on detox. Must get epsom salts...and clay would be good, right?

CS, HAIL? Dang, that could take out a garden in an instant! glad you didn't suffer too much destrction!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Old 05-06-2010, 11:19 AM

The New Dirty Dozen, 2010 updates:

12 Foods to Eat Organic ~this is an informative link, read through the little factoids about each veggie. The site notes alternatives which are low in pesticides also.

Milk - conventional is high in pesticides
Beef fat was noted as high in pesticides
Pork fat was noted as high in pesticides
Chicken thigh noted as high in pesticides

Pesticides are stored in the fat of plants and animals. So, caution about pesticides in plant and seed oils too.

Coffee beans were listed as high in pesticides!

celery - 64 different pesticides found contaminating it! Buy Organic!
peaches 62 pesticides
strawberries 59 pesticides
apples 42 pesticides
blueberries 52 pesticides

nectarines 33 pesticides
bell peppers 49 pesticides
spinach 48
kale
cherries 42
potatoes 37
Imported grapes 34
leafy greens 51
carrots 26
pears 28
tomatoes vary, caution
(they are ranked by the quantity of pesticides rather than the variety of pesticides)

GROW these at home, or buy organic.

http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy...ty-Dozen-Foods

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
The New Dirty Dozen, 2010 updates:

12 Foods to Eat Organic ~this is an informative link, read through the little factoids about each veggie. The site notes alternatives which are low in pesticides also.

Milk - conventional is high in pesticides
Beef fat was noted as high in pesticides
Pork fat was noted as high in pesticides
Chicken thigh noted as high in pesticides

Pesticides are stored in the fat of plants and animals. So, caution about pesticides in plant and seed oils too.

Coffee beans were listed as high in pesticides!

celery - 64 different pesticides found contaminating it! Buy Organic!
peaches 62 pesticides
strawberries 59 pesticides
apples 42 pesticides
blueberries 52 pesticides

nectarines 33 pesticides
bell peppers 49 pesticides
spinach 48
kale
cherries 42
potatoes 37
Imported grapes 34
leafy greens 51
carrots 26
pears 28
tomatoes vary, caution
(they are ranked by the quantity of pesticides rather than the variety of pesticides)

GROW these at home, or buy organic.

http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy...ty-Dozen-Foods

Pat
I read this a little while back too. It was so hard for me to read because right now berries are some of the only fruit DD can eat. I can't afford the quantity of them we go through in a week if I buy organic. I also can't have a garden where we live. Right now I'm buying my fruit in bulk at Costco because it's the only way to make it work in the budget.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Old 05-06-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evie's Mama View Post
I read this a little while back too. It was so hard for me to read because right now berries are some of the only fruit DD can eat. I can't afford the quantity of them we go through in a week if I buy organic. I also can't have a garden where we live. Right now I'm buying my fruit in bulk at Costco because it's the only way to make it work in the budget.
We use Veggie Wash! I'm not certain, but it might be coconut based. Yep, ingredients:

water, natural cleansers made from corn and coconut, citrus oil, sodium citrate (a natural derivative of citrus fruit), glycerin (from coconut oil) and grapefruit seed extract.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:06 PM

look what we forgot about!

chat links

Old 05-06-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
We use Veggie Wash! I'm not certain, but it might be coconut based. Yep, ingredients:

water, natural cleansers made from corn and coconut, citrus oil, sodium citrate (a natural derivative of citrus fruit), glycerin (from coconut oil) and grapefruit seed extract.

Pat
What about a baking soda wash? Just add a few tablespoons of baking soda to a bowl of water and immerse the fruit, swish, and rinse with cool running water?

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:08 PM

That's not liver I defrosted... it's placenta! and that's not two separate bags of lamb liver. it's a 4 pound solid block of liver.

I'd really love for *something* to go smoothly...

Old 05-06-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
That's not liver I defrosted... it's placenta! and that's not two separate bags of lamb liver. it's a 4 pound solid block of liver.

Ugh!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 05-06-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:

Teething can cause acid poos and diarrhea, right? Please tell me that I don't need to play food detective today....

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
look what we forgot about!

chat links
i didn't forget. is there something you want added? would you like me to start putting it in our opening chat post again?
Quote:

ugh,
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Teething can cause acid poos and diarrhea, right? Please tell me that I don't need to play food detective today....
yes, it can. hoping that's the case.

just home from the city. i always think of mamafish when i go. we always go and look around dh's old neighbourhood (by the magnet arts- is that what it's called?- school).
got an ipod for birthday/mother's day gift.
just nursing the LOs before i start supper. they hardly got to nurse today and i feel like i'm going to burst!
picked up some "new" cold cereal to try. TJ's was out of waffles (boo). the relish we use was on sale. found a new soda that ds1 can drink- orange cream- i don't think he's had orange soda since he was about ds2's age.
ran into a man at the grocery store who juices. he has a Champion juicer- opinions on those?
gtg! to all

Old 05-06-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:

for something (lots of things!) going smoothly!

Old 05-07-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:

Pat
That looks great! Do you have to order it online, or do any stores carry it?

Quote:
It always does in my DD. I think it's the added drooling.

Quote:

Only on MDC...

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

User Tag List