Do you have a problem with rice/corn chex? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2010, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have not included it yet because I have heard even though it's now "gluten free" people are getting glutened by it. If you have experience with it good or bad please let me know. Is corn better then rice? Rice better then corn? I have a very tiny (none existant) food budget for the next few weeks and can not waste resources on buying some and not being able to eat it!

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2010, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Since corn is one of the top-4 intolerances and I'm pretty certain they use GMO corn (though I could be mistaken), I'd say Rice is the better choice here. We've been gluten free for almost 2 yeas, and we've been having the rice chex since they've been gluten free (without the malt). Friends of mine with 2 kids with celiac have been having the gluten free versions as well. Though depending on if you have other intolerances, there could be something else in there that's a problem.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 05-06-2010, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No problem at all with my 8 year old Celiac kid. We were thrilled to hear it is GF because our local grocer often does BOGO deals on it. He's a very sensitive celiac who has reactions to the merest amount of gluten and cannot tolerate oatmeal, even.

Good luck!
Old 05-06-2010, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
We eat both and have had no noticeable problems with either. My youngest and I only eat the rice ones because she can't have corn and they seem to sit with her fine.

ETA: If you need a cheap breakfast idea, I often do whole grain rice cooked and then with milk and sugar poured on it just like cereal.

User Tag List