Hello! It's been a long time! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-02-2010, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone. It's been such a long time since I last posted. I was really active on this board for a couple of years, but I ran into a crummy year and sort of fell off.

However, I just wanted to pop in because my dd who was allergic to corn, soy and dairy and a few other things has officially outgrown her food allergies. We worked on gut-healing for 3 1/2 years and then reintroduced foods slowly (she was never ana, though she was IgE). To be sure, I had her blood tested and it was clear, too. She's been eating without limitation for 6 or so months and it's been wonderful.

My ds who showed some random food reactions as an infant is also in the clear. We never did any official testing with him, but I knew what to look for, so I could see the skin reactions from things I was eating (much less severe than with dd, so I knew that at least *my* gut had healed somewhat during all that time).

My only reservation with him is that I've noticed some redness around the mouth when he was mouthing a balloon a few weeks ago, so of course, I'm on high-alert to a latex allergy. He doesn't seem to react to any of the usual cross-reactive fruits though, so here's hoping!

I can't really point to anything special we did. We tried NAET with a couple different practitioners and it wasn't successful. We did however work hard on gut-healing doing all the things I learned here and studied about, like probiotics, fish oil, etc. And we avoided the foods strictly (since they were IgE, I just felt better about that route). And we let time pass and tried not to obsess too much about it (part of the reason I had to step away from the board was to relax more about it all).

We still don't do uncultured dairy. And we use almond or rice milk still most of the time, though it's nice to have cheese I don't think I could drink a glass of milk if I tried! All those years of avoidance caused a real aversion, lol. We're still doing what we can to support our guts and strengthen our immune systems because dd is quite allergic to animal dander and mildly so to some pollens and grasses.

Anyway, it's so nice to scan the board and see the names of so many amazing, wonderful people who educated and supported me during some of the most trying times of my life as a mother. You guys are WONDERFUL And I won't name names because I'll undoubtedly forget someone, but you know who you are. They are good number of you, lol!

(((HUGS)))
#2 of 11 Old 06-02-2010, 06:27 PM

Hey- I was thinking about you recently and wondering how you were doing!

That is amazing, amazing news. Gives me some hope, and I sure need some this week. Glad to hear things are going so well for you guys!!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 11 Old 06-02-2010, 06:31 PM

Hey! So good to hear from you! I've thought of you quite a few times, hoped that you were busy living your life and that's why you weren't here so much.

One cool thing, and I'm not sure if you were around or not when we started to make some interesting connections, is a relationship between folate (and not necessarily folic acid) and IgE allergies, and methylation (and mthfr gene variants, were you around for that). I won't write it all out now, but there may be some interesting things for your family health if you weren't around, and we can throw in some links you want.

But I didn't mean to blah-blah like that. Glad to hear from you again. And ALWAYS glad when someone who used to need to be here *doesn't* anymore, woo-hoo!
#4 of 11 Old 06-02-2010, 06:43 PM

So wonderful to hear from you! And such great news too!!

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#5 of 11 Old 06-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Yippee! This makes me very happy to hear this today!

#6 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 12:10 PM

That's fantastic!

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#7 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 12:34 AM

Hi there!! SO good to hear from you! This is awesome news! I am so glad to hear!
#8 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
Hey! So good to hear from you! I've thought of you quite a few times, hoped that you were busy living your life and that's why you weren't here so much.

One cool thing, and I'm not sure if you were around or not when we started to make some interesting connections, is a relationship between folate (and not necessarily folic acid) and IgE allergies, and methylation (and mthfr gene variants, were you around for that). I won't write it all out now, but there may be some interesting things for your family health if you weren't around, and we can throw in some links you want.

But I didn't mean to blah-blah like that. Glad to hear from you again. And ALWAYS glad when someone who used to need to be here *doesn't* anymore, woo-hoo!
Links please!
#9 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 08:18 AM

Such good news!
Oh to have cheese again...
#10 of 11 Old 06-05-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
Links please!
Let me see if I can find the links, but the things I was thinking of....

A fairly recent study that made the mainstream news that linked low blood folate (they kept saying folic acid, but they were measuring blood and actually were measuring folate) with increased risk of IgE allergies (I think both food and environmental stuff). Google for it, it was pretty straightforward, and it seems like it's discussed more in-depth in autism/health circles.

There's a gene variant in the population, it's the MTHFR gene, there's a most-common form and then two variants that aren't particularly rare. The people with the variants seem to need more folate, and bad luck for them, they don't convert the folic acid that's in our food supply and most supplements into folate very well, so it's a double-whammy. Lots of health things seem to cluster (not all in one person/family) with this, early strokes, cancers (since a lot of cancers vary with folate intake, on a population level), high homocysteine, early heart attacks, migraine headaches even. Even though this is an advertisement, it's well-cited (haven't ever used the product)...

http://www.hsfighters.com/folate_not_folicacid.htm

And whoMe's page that links all sorts of related stuff....
http://www.detoxpuzzle.com/folate.php

Look at the left-hand bar for related topics.

re: methylation, that's an interesting one because, for example, DS and I seem to be really behind in methylation, not enough methyl groups for the things that need them, but the only IgE allergies for us are some fairly mild environmental allergies I've had since my early teens. As best I can tell, I don't have MTHFR gene variant issues, my family history doesn't fit, and I think with the other health issues that I know I DO have, I would be sicker if I had MTHFR in addition. So you can have methylation issues without having the MTHFR variant. The Yasko discussion that mamafish9 started has links to Yasko's forum which seems to go into much more depth re: methylation and various places it can get slowed down, it's more complicated than MTHFR, so if things seem confusing, that's a place to look for more info.

And methylation is one of the major ways that we excrete some of the nasty, and ubiquitous, environmental chemicals that we run into. So problems with methylation would put a person at higher risk of the health/behavior issues that would result from toxins building up.

Obviously folate's also important for midline defects, significant stuff like neural tube defects and cleft lips/palates, hypospadias, but also subtle stuff like tongue ties (if you google studies on cleft lip/palate, you'll see references to ankyloglossia as well, that's fancy talk for tongue tie, they cluster). So a family history of this should start consideration of these things.
#11 of 11 Old 06-09-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post

Anyway, it's so nice to scan the board and see the names of so many amazing, wonderful people who educated and supported me during some of the most trying times of my life as a mother. You guys are WONDERFUL And I won't name names because I'll undoubtedly forget someone, but you know who you are. They are good number of you, lol!

(((HUGS)))
So funny to see your name here as I'm back looking for info about DS who had me on the Allergy board at about the time you were so active. Only YOU were the person I always hoped would post with info to help us! You were a great help and support to me!! I'm glad you're doing so well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page