It's June 2010 already! Allergy Chat Thread - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 873 Old 06-12-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ugh I just went all Mama Bear this morning.

#362 of 873 Old 06-12-2010, 11:31 AM

DS2 is waking me up earlier and earlier for milk. Day before last, it was 6:30 (as it has been for a LONG time). Yesterday it was 6. Today it was 5:30.

Jane Does your ds have a history of sneaking food? It's hard for me to figure out what I would do in your position since my kids are before and after that age.

Can't quite think. Need a nap already.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#363 of 873 Old 06-12-2010, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

:yawning I was up early this morning too, 5:30 is not fun.

Yes he does have a hx, not a lot, but when his father has allowed him to have food that he was not supposed to have... in the next few days he sneaks. Things are tough right now with him tolerating some things, but only a little b/c of food chemical bucket, or only certain days.

DS has also recently gotten into the habit of wanting to buy candy and cookies for his father ... he wants to smell them first before giving them over and said they were so tempting.

I have worked so hard for him to be well adjusted. Everyone comments how great his attitude is about his restrictions and how he gets so excited for the things I make him for special treats. We talk openly about how hard it is and how it's not always going to be this way. And I remind him (or he reminds me) he used to be allergic to eggs and milk and he can eat them now, isn't that great. Generally it's all very positive. The only time we've ever had bad feeling or problems is when the uav pulls his crap.
#364 of 873 Old 06-12-2010, 12:20 PM

I don't know JaneS. If things are life threatening, then yeah I think people need to agree who is on "call". So, did you say, hey can you watch him while I take a bath, etc. or did both of you just think the other one was watching him? That kind of stuff has happened to us, where I thought it was obvious that I was doing whatever, but DH didn't realize or it wasn't obvious to him, so he went off and did something else. It's usually a failure to communicate in our case, rather than complete disregard. But if there's a history there, then it's up for grabs what's the cause.

So we were talking about chlobo's garden the other day, and broccoli... well, 2 weeks ago when I was here, there was a nice little floret on the top of each broccoli. Well it turned into an 8" bouquet on the top of each stalk. oops. Did I let it go to seed? Can I save it by cutting it back?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#365 of 873 Old 06-12-2010, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
So, did you say, hey can you watch him while I take a bath, etc. or did both of you just think the other one was watching him?
Forgot that you probably don't know that in last several years, we split the weekend days. Saturday is his entire day "on" with DS and mine is Sunday. STBX disappears on Sundays but I'm usually around most of the time on Saturdays b/c I work from home and I can get some long quiet hours in. So it's much different than a couple who works together. We do not speak (his choice) but instead communicate through a log book (which he ignores most of) started when we started divorce mediation last year. I realize this is a completely ridiculous and difficult situation.
#366 of 873 Old 06-12-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Forgot that you probably don't know that in last several years, we split the weekend days. Saturday is his entire day "on" with DS and mine is Sunday. STBX disappears on Sundays but I'm usually around most of the time on Saturdays b/c I work from home and I can get some long quiet hours in. So it's much different than a couple who works together. We do not speak (his choice) but instead communicate through a log book (which he ignores most of) started when we started divorce mediation last year. I realize this is a completely ridiculous and difficult situation.
Ah, so that's blantant disregard then. Yeah, I'd be mad too!

DD2 has a lacy rash on one leg. Looked it up, and everything points to 5th Disease, except she never had a fever or red cheeks or anything else. It's just a lacy (and warm) rash on one leg. Now the question is, without any other symptoms, is it 5th Disease? And if it's not, then what is it? As usual, something weird happens and I immediately think: food reaction?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#367 of 873 Old 06-12-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Jane I am so sorry you are going through this. It must be so difficult to have one parent who is unwilling to put the needs of his child above his own "issues".

He absolutely should let you know if he's not going to be minding the store, so to speak. I wish you lived closer you could come work at my house on Saturdays.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#368 of 873 Old 06-12-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Jane I am so sorry you are going through this. It must be so difficult to have one parent who is unwilling to put the needs of his child above his own "issues".

He absolutely should let you know if he's not going to be minding the store, so to speak. I wish you lived closer you could come work at my house on Saturdays.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#369 of 873 Old 06-12-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
:yawning I was up early this morning too, 5:30 is not fun.

Yes he does have a hx, not a lot, but when his father has allowed him to have food that he was not supposed to have... in the next few days he sneaks. Things are tough right now with him tolerating some things, but only a little b/c of food chemical bucket, or only certain days.

DS has also recently gotten into the habit of wanting to buy candy and cookies for his father ... he wants to smell them first before giving them over and said they were so tempting.

I have worked so hard for him to be well adjusted. Everyone comments how great his attitude is about his restrictions and how he gets so excited for the things I make him for special treats. We talk openly about how hard it is and how it's not always going to be this way. And I remind him (or he reminds me) he used to be allergic to eggs and milk and he can eat them now, isn't that great. Generally it's all very positive. The only time we've ever had bad feeling or problems is when the uav pulls his crap.
I would have totally gone mama bear That's serious stuff! That is so great about the eggs and dairy what a great job you're dong Jane!
#370 of 873 Old 06-12-2010, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas

It really helps to know from others who are in similar situations as far as allergies go that I'm not crazy, or overprotective, or using DS's allergies ... the refrain I hear often from the uav. We've had so many broken promises, both personal and made in mediation in front of the atty, that it all gets to be too much. It's all he can say to defend himself and deflect from the neglect I guess: it's me and not him. His criticism still makes me feel sensitive about how I handle things. And makes me worry about the future when I'm not going to be around when we finally separate.
#371 of 873 Old 06-12-2010, 04:15 PM

Speaking of unsupportive (okay not really). I was muscle testing my friend's kid (he's up for the weekend, with his father) and DH walks in and said "what a bunch of hocus pocus". It's the same muscle testing that DS does, that's been accurate every time (that even the osteo is amazed at). I thought he was only going to test dairy as a problem, but it said dairy and gluten. I gave him a slew of foods. He thought it was fun (he's 10yo). He's got fluid in his ears and talks EXTREMELY loudly ALL. THE. TIME. His mother is the one that takes DS for weekends and is very good about food with him. But she won't try it for her kids.

#372 of 873 Old 06-12-2010, 09:47 PM

Very long day. Home from the city. Forgot rice pasta (how in the world?).
Hungry. TIRED. DS2's "side" feels like it's going to explode (he didn't nurse ALL DAY).
Have to make supper.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#373 of 873 Old 06-12-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Very long day. Home from the city. Forgot rice pasta (how in the world?).
Hungry. TIRED. DS2's "side" feels like it's going to explode (he didn't nurse ALL DAY).
Have to make supper.
You mean no chocolate chip buttered noodles? Boo

According to our meat thermometer, it's 234F in the house. It sure feels like it, but dh is going to try again with a fresh battery...

Dd slept well and woke up well last night/this morning. Go zinc? Still not sure what to credit. She's definitely having some funky poops, though, and ds at least is still dealing with my latest round of die off...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#374 of 873 Old 06-12-2010, 10:07 PM

Did you all know about this already?
http://www.autism.com/pro_webcasts.asp
Free webcasts of recent DAN conferences!

#375 of 873 Old 06-12-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
The zinc that I've been using is 15mg zinc, 1mg copper. I'm doing really well on it where I wasn't seeing much from straight zinc for me.
Funny, we must be high copper because I see NO benefit from the Source Naturals Optizinc I have (with copper) and only good things from plain zinc! I ran out and missed the last several days and my hair started falling out like crazy again so I made it a priority to get zinc TODAY (I got Klaire Labs, it has a little B6 in it which is fun because I have vivid but not too crazy dreams from it)!

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#376 of 873 Old 06-12-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
You mean no chocolate chip buttered noodles? Boo

According to our meat thermometer, it's 234F in the house. It sure feels like it, but dh is going to try again with a fresh battery...

Dd slept well and woke up well last night/this morning. Go zinc? Still not sure what to credit. She's definitely having some funky poops, though, and ds at least is still dealing with my latest round of die off...
Not unless I use one of the (very few) packages of pahd Thai noodles I bought.
And the heat is insane today! The city is always warmer than it is here on the coast, too. I'm not sure how you manage to live there, Deb. Especially being as fair as you are.

#377 of 873 Old 06-12-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
And the heat is insane today! The city is always warmer than it is here on the coast, too. I'm not sure how you manage to live there, Deb. Especially being as fair as you are.
We have not seen the sun like this since last September. I sat out in the heat of high noon and made vitamin D and revelled in it. And even my Canadian blood was not hot - you just have a coastal thermostat .

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#378 of 873 Old 06-13-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
We have not seen the sun like this since last September. I sat out in the heat of high noon and made vitamin D and revelled in it. And even my Canadian blood was not hot - you just have a coastal thermostat .
Yeah, I'm terribly heat intolerant. I got heat stroke when I was 2 or 3 and I remember my mom sending me for cold baths/showers when the temp would reach about 25C bc I'd get sick otherwise. Upside is that I always got as much ice as I wanted and my brothers had to wait for new stuff to freeze if we started to get low.

#379 of 873 Old 06-13-2010, 11:53 AM

Just a quick hello... We're back from our quick road trip. DD got a few mystery hives on Friday night and slept like crap, but no major drama.

Jane... that has got to be a major PITA.

Tanya..... please, please type more. It's hilarious.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#380 of 873 Old 06-13-2010, 03:12 PM

CS, wanna laugh at m? I'v put in som updats in DS's thrad, it is horrifying that I am posting lik this, but mamafish's words ar so hlpful right now.

It's a cognitiv workout for m too, trying to sub out words that ar similar to mak th point th sam, but without strings of lttr-aftr-ds.
#381 of 873 Old 06-13-2010, 06:05 PM

For anyone thinking about pancreatin for non-capsule-swallowing kiddos, the enzyme blends taste nasty, probably cause of the HCl. I just tried straight pancreatin from twinlabs, and while it's definitely not *good,* it's pretty mild, and would likely disappear somewhat into food. FYI.

#382 of 873 Old 06-13-2010, 07:50 PM

Jane, Momofmine, didn't one of you have a link about examining stool for yeast, etc.?

Thanks, Pat

I have a blog.
#383 of 873 Old 06-13-2010, 08:57 PM

Sheesh, it's been hot here too. Last weekend we had 113 degrees F! I was dying. I still am and it's cooled to a measly 100F. I think the monsoon is going to kill me.

I need to go make dinner. And help DS with the dishes. It's too hot for normal life...

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#384 of 873 Old 06-13-2010, 10:13 PM

So.
I managed to squaweeze into my pre-pregnancy jeans. Of course, I had to lay on the bed to zip em up but who's watching? Seems I am losing... what? Fat? Certainly not weight, bc the scale's not going anywhere. This on the heels of me being frustrated as heck after working out for 4 months? and seeing NO results.
Did our weekly grocery shop today. Nothing interesting.

#385 of 873 Old 06-14-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
So.
I managed to squaweeze into my pre-pregnancy jeans. Of course, I had to lay on the bed to zip em up but who's watching? Seems I am losing... what? Fat? Certainly not weight, bc the scale's not going anywhere. This on the heels of me being frustrated as heck after working out for 4 months? and seeing NO results.
Did our weekly grocery shop today. Nothing interesting.
That's great about the pants. Nice to see progress.

I've realized recently that I've become "fluffy". I've gained about 5 lbs and its all fluffy fat. I feel very uncomfortable in my own skin.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#386 of 873 Old 06-14-2010, 10:59 AM

JR - muscle weighs more than fat. Could be you lost some fat, gained some muscle.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#387 of 873 Old 06-14-2010, 11:07 AM

probiotics reaction question
DS2 is reacting strongly to very small amounts of the powerful probiotics. First very contradictory (thankfully in a cute sort of way). Saturday and Sunday I stopped the sprinkles because I wanted a normal kid for our anniversary (married 12 years. ). Sunday he was hyper - non stop talking and movement.

I'm guessing this might be glutamates? We are sensitive to them. I saw in Tanya's thread that GABA or grapeseed extract could help? We have GABA, but those suckers are big pills. I will need to get a little creative.

We are all having some reaction to the probiotics, but my 4 year old is having a strong reaction. Which gives me a two thumbs up, but also requires extra patience.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#388 of 873 Old 06-14-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
married 12 years.
Congrats on your anniversary!!

#389 of 873 Old 06-14-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
probiotics reaction question
DS2 is reacting strongly to very small amounts of the powerful probiotics. First very contradictory (thankfully in a cute sort of way). Saturday and Sunday I stopped the sprinkles because I wanted a normal kid for our anniversary (married 12 years. ). Sunday he was hyper - non stop talking and movement.

I'm guessing this might be glutamates? We are sensitive to them. I saw in Tanya's thread that GABA or grapeseed extract could help? We have GABA, but those suckers are big pills. I will need to get a little creative.

We are all having some reaction to the probiotics, but my 4 year old is having a strong reaction. Which gives me a two thumbs up, but also requires extra patience.
Hey what day was your anniversary? OUrs was the 10th. 10 on the 10th in 2010.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#390 of 873 Old 06-14-2010, 11:41 AM

Carren- I've gotten fluffy too, and am also really uncomfortable in my skin right now. Although my weight gain has been 15 pounds (and just all of a sudden)!!! I'm still 10 pounds less than I was pre-pregnancy with DD, but I feel gigantic. Funny thing is, when I got back from my road trip this weekend, I weighed 5 pounds less. Within 24 hours of getting back, the 5 pounds suddenly was back. I'm starting to wonder if it's kidney issues/water rentention/something like that? Because seriously- how can you lose 5 pounds in one day, and then gain it back a day later?! (And no- DD hadn't messed with the scale or anything. I weighed my self like 4 times because I didn't believe it.)

eta: congrats on your anniversary too Carren!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page