Do IgG antibodies come through breastmilk? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-07-2010, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm nursing my 3 y/o DS1 and 12 month old DS2. They both have various symptoms of food intolerances. We did an elimination diet x 6 weeks of the top 8 allergens, and almost all of their symptoms went away! I'm still looking for hidden culprits, and am continuing to work on leaky gut issues.

Anyway, I have this question running around in my mind. I know that the nursing mother can pass something along to the baby that the baby is sensitive to. What is in the milk that the baby is reacting to? Is it the protein from the food itself (as I assume I have a really leaky gut)? Or is it an IgG antibody that sensitizes the baby to the food protein?

If it is the IgG antibody, would I be making matters worse by nursing? Having the baby constantly getting these antibodies would not allow his immune system to calm down about these foods.

I am a die-hard advocate of nursing, and have absolutely no plans to stop. I firmly believe that nursing is in the boys' best interests, and I cut out all the foods out of my diet as well as theirs. This is more of satisfying my "curiosity itch".

: DS - June '07 : DS2 - May '09 : (may be delayed a really long time!)
#2 of 3 Old 06-07-2010, 12:32 AM

I think the sense around here is that you can pass your "reactions" through - i.e. babe can react to your reactions. And they likely do get your antibodies, but so long as you aren't eating the offending foods to trigger a reaction, then I don't think there's any issue. But that is just mama gut feel, nothing more .

It sounds from this http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...rotection.html like IgG aren't as big a part of breastmilk as IgA, so you pass some, but maybe not full volume?

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#3 of 3 Old 06-08-2010, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamafish!

I'm trying to keep dairy, eggs, and wheat out of our diet. However, there are enough errors that I suspect there are IgG antibodies now. I was extremely strict during the elimination diet, but less so now (birthday parties, boys down at Grandma's, etc).

I just haven't seen anything specifically address this question. I checked out the links you gave me, and they came the closest. However, they are still talking about antibodies from vaccinations and not for food intolerances.

I've been lurking on the Allergies forum for almost a year now, so I'm sure I'll continue to get pieces of this puzzle.

: DS - June '07 : DS2 - May '09 : (may be delayed a really long time!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page