Avocado allergy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-09-2010, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 9 month old dd is ebf, we have attempted to introduce solids over the past month without much interest on her part. (She puts everything in her mouth, but seems to not want to put food in...)
I gave her a tiny amount of avocado, maybe a teaspoon, about a month ago. She wasn't overly interested in it, so I backed off for a couple weeks. I tried again, and she really didn't go for it. About a week ago I gave her some banana, she ate maybe a teaspoon. That night, about 8 hours later she threw up (she NEVER throws up). I didn't think much of it, it only happened once and she went back to sleep. Last night I gave her avocado again, this time she ate maybe 2 teaspoons. She again, wasn't too interested. About 2.5 hours later she began vomiting. She threw up 3 times within about 5 minutes and then went completely limp. We called 911 because she was completely listless. Ambulance came, they gave her some oxygen which woke her up a little, but she continued to vomit bile. We went to the hospital, the vomiting continued for another 2 hours (about 3 hours in all). The she finally nursed, and kept it down and went to sleep. Today she is perfectly fine, as if yesterday never happened.
So does that sound like an allergic reaction? I am not allergic to anything, but my dh is allergic to peanuts.
TIA (Sorry for the novel)

Carolyn, married to M, momma to K (09/'09) and C (04/'12).
#2 of 11 Old 06-09-2010, 10:38 PM

Yes- that could definitely be an allergic reaction. If she reacted to both banana and avocado, I would look at a possible latex allergy, as those are all related. Have you made an appointment with an allergist? I would do that asap, and get an epipen.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 11 Old 06-09-2010, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are those the only two foods you tried with her (banana and avocado) and she threw them both up? But obviously more with the avocado? It's possible. You can be allergic to anything. Did they say anything about an epipen with that kind of reaction? IgE allergy testing can be inaccurate at that age (under 2yo) but that sounds really scary to me.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#4 of 11 Old 06-09-2010, 10:47 PM

I have recently developed what appears to be an avocado allergy - and the main symptom is horrible, horrible stomach pain. It feels like my stomach is going to explode and like someone is squeezing my entire abdomen. I've never thrown up, but I have gagged like I was going to. I did my own research and found out that a severe GI reaction to avocado is associated with an anaphylactic allergy. So I'd definitely consider your daughter allergic for now. Luckily, I don't have an issue with bananas so far, but they are related (and like changingseasons said, connected to latex allergies which my mom has). Oh, you should also be careful about kiwi. My son is allergic to that, but not bananas.
#5 of 11 Old 06-09-2010, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

The ER doc said he can't say for sure why she was throwing up, but he assumes a food intolerance. She has also tried apple sauce and oatmeal, but again, hardly ate any. She did not seem to have a problem with those. I called my Ped this morning and he referred me to an allergist, which we won't see until the end of June. So for now, she will remain ebf.

#6 of 11 Old 06-09-2010, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Sounds like latex to me also. My daughter reacted to both those foods through breastmilk by vomiting. She also reacted to latex on my husbands work clothes and from skin contact after he put on lotion with avocado oil in it. Thankfully not as severe as your daughter's it seems but we steer totally clear from both.

Also agree that you need to get an epi pen.

#7 of 11 Old 06-10-2010, 07:51 AM

Your situation is almost identical to the one I had with my dd (except we didn't have vomiting). She wanted to put *everything* in her mouth except food. I started introducing her to foods at about 8-9 months. I would either put mashed banana or mashed avocado in front of her. She would play with it but never put it in her mouth. Come to find out she is allergic to both of them.

I would say get to an allergist and get an epi pen for sure.

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#8 of 11 Old 06-11-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan G View Post
Allergies are of many types. Allergy can trigger anyone. There are certain food which are allergic. It should be avoided from small children. Banana is never allergy it help to digests food, it has a lot of vitamin. She might be vomiting because of avocado. If any allergies symptoms further you should have medical assistant for her.

Ryan G,
Asthma symptoms, Bipolar disorder treatment
Ryan... I'm sure you're trying to be helpful here in the Mothering forum, but your information is NOT correct.

My daughter is allergic to banana- confirmed by both food trial and skin prick test.

And why on earth are you posting links for bipolar disorder?!

#9 of 11 Old 11-23-2010, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to come back and update this thread.... 

We did both the blood and skin prick test in June for avocado and banana, everything came back negative. We had another skin prick test done last week (dd is now 14.5 months), and again, negative.

She is STILL exclusively breastfed, refuses solids, seems interested in what we are eating, wants to touch / play with food, but won't eat anything! We've had her evaluated, and there are no sensory or developmental issues.. she just won't eat.

So, is it possible she is "intolerant" to avocado, and not actually "allergic"? Or would you guess that the tests are a false negative? What else could have caused such a reaction in a perfectly healthy 9 month old?

#10 of 11 Old 11-23-2010, 09:53 PM

I thought I had replied in this thread before, but it must have been a different one.  Anyway, it sounds like FPIES to me.  FPIES is a food allergy but it does not show up on blood testing or skin testing, it's a different type of allergy http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/resourcespre.php?id=99   either that or as others have said, it may be just not showing on the testing because it is inaccurate at this age. 

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#11 of 11 Old 11-23-2010, 10:41 PM

We didn't get any positives on allergy tests at that age- they didn't start getting accurate for us until DD was about 18mo-2yrs.  But regardless, a food reaction trumps ANY allergy test results, and with that severe of a reaction I would still assume it's a true allergy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page